Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I don't see what the problem is, looks like a normal VFR Honda reg/rec to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gorson posted:

I don't see what the problem is, looks like a normal VFR Honda reg/rec to me.

Yup. Cooked mine on my Superhawk twice.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Ninja 1000 or VFR1200? Both can be had with low kms for under $10k CAD around here, I'd like it for commuting and touring two-up pretty frequently. I'm looking at these as they are on the sportier side of sport touring. The 2014+ VFR800s just don't have enough value in them for the asking price, goddamn they're overpriced.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VERTiG0 posted:

Ninja 1000 or VFR1200? Both can be had with low kms for under $10k CAD around here, I'd like it for commuting and touring two-up pretty frequently. I'm looking at these as they are on the sportier side of sport touring. The 2014+ VFR800s just don't have enough value in them for the asking price, goddamn they're overpriced.

vfr

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
VFR

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Both of you are crazy the VFR1200 is a garbage bike. Tiny gas tank, dumb transmission with unknown reliability, marginal gas mileage, fat and underpowered.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This 170hp motorcycle is underpowered!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

I google "VFR1200 dyno" and it looks like ~140 hp with a flat torque curve. I don't know how much you people plan on towing with that thing, but looks rather adequate to me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PCOS Bill posted:

~1275cc v4 putting out less than a 1000cc i4 by about 50 horsepower is pretty drat underpowered. It's also about 600 pounds. The ninja 1000 weighs almost 100 pounds less, puts out only 15hp less, and has pretty similar torque figures. You're gonna notice the lack of weight much more than you're gonna notice the extra HP.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's really gonna regret losing that tenth of a second on the final lap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

He's really gonna regret losing that tenth of a second on the final lap.

Street usability is a thing that suffers with weight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

~1275cc v4 putting out less than a 1000cc i4 by about 50 horsepower is pretty drat underpowered. It's also about 600 pounds. The ninja 1000 weighs almost 100 pounds less, puts out only 15hp less, and has pretty similar torque figures. You're gonna notice the lack of weight much more than you're gonna notice the extra HP.

Normal street tuned 1000cc i4s seriously put out 220hp? :psyduck:

I thought that was like motoGP range.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The faired z1000 blows the vfr into the weeds, the only reason you're even cross-shopping the two is because they both say sport tourer on paper. Very dissimilar bikes and, as mentioned, the honda has very little to recommend it.

e: should mention the VFR is also loving gargantuan and much closer in reality to a concourse than a ninja

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 8, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Normal street tuned 1000cc i4s seriously put out 220hp? :psyduck:

I thought that was like motoGP range.

The S1000RR or R1 puts out 190+ HP. The VFR puts out 140. You do know how math works, right?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody needs more than 130-140HP on a bike

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

The S1000RR or R1 puts out 190+ HP. The VFR puts out 140. You do know how math works, right?
Yeah, but this is not a racetrack, where split seconds keep you off the pedestal. It's about adequacy and usability. Having more horsepower does not make it a better touring bike, it makes it a somewhat faster touring bike. Which is like priority number last, as far as touring goes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Instead of the VFR1200 take a look at Yamaha's FJR1300. I sat on a few that were out of my price range while I was shopping for bikes last and they're niiiiiiiice. But with only 150HP they may not hold up to scrutiny for a touring bike here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

What's "need" got to do with it?

That said, I'm looking at a Honda CB1300 (if I can fit on it and paddle it around reasonably) which is both fat and has less horsepower than my Superhawk.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

Need? want.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

PCOS Bill said 170 right after the VFR post, so that's what I was going on. It seemed high for a VFR but :shrug:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

PCOS Bill said 170 right after the VFR post, so that's what I was going on. It seemed high for a VFR but :shrug:

The 1200 has 170 at the crank, 140 at the wheels, you know, drivetrain loss like every other vehicle on the planet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Z3n's wording unfortunately put the spotlight on horsepower:displacement but the reality is that the viffer is a crap bike for a bunch of other reasons which would be acceptable if it had monster power to go with it's monstrous engine, but it doesn't.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5563910522.html

That is some attractive tire tread.

predictive fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 8, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lomarf

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Yeah, but this is not a racetrack, where split seconds keep you off the pedestal. It's about adequacy and usability. Having more horsepower does not make it a better touring bike, it makes it a somewhat faster touring bike. Which is like priority number last, as far as touring goes.

Modern bikes don't tend to suffer from peaky power like they did in the past for awhile - these days the design and metallurgy is so good, it's about modulating it and expanding usable RPMs so you get off the corner faster. A broader spread of RPM (because higher peak HP for a displacement almost always means higher RPM) also gives you more options for how you want to ride. The S1000XR engine (which is detuned from the RR) is completely usable, stomps all over something like the VFR, and is lighter.

The VFR sits in a lot of categories as good enough, but if your bar is "good enough" you may as well get something that has a roof and some extra wheels and you certainly shouldn't spend 10k on it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Z3n posted:

Both of you are crazy the VFR1200 is a garbage bike. Tiny gas tank, dumb transmission with unknown reliability, marginal gas mileage, fat and underpowered.

Well I wouldn't buy the DCT model, I'd have the normal manual gearbox version. I've heard the range sucks, but haven't seen anyone say it's underpowered before.

PCOS Bill posted:

Instead of the VFR1200 take a look at Yamaha's FJR1300. I sat on a few that were out of my price range while I was shopping for bikes last and they're niiiiiiiice. But with only 150HP they may not hold up to scrutiny for a touring bike here.

I thought the FJR was more tour than sport? About 80% of my time is spent solo so I want to be able to throw the bike around.

Z3n posted:

The VFR sits in a lot of categories as good enough, but if your bar is "good enough" you may as well get something that has a roof and some extra wheels and you certainly shouldn't spend 10k on it.

Without being able to try all of the bikes in that category I'm sure both of these things would blow me away.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PCOS Bill posted:

85hp still makes me poo poo my pants.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Are these reasonable options as a first bike?
http://www.ridenowtricities.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1991805&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory
http://www.ridenowtricities.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=2020061&p=2&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. Get one with a Ryca kit though. Or don't.

They're decent putt putt cruisers but they get a little wheezy on the highway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

Without being able to try all of the bikes in that category I'm sure both of these things would blow me away.

Ok so...why is the vfr800 overpriced? If both of those would blow you away and you don't have any metric for deciding then how can you know a vfr800 isn't worth x amount? Plus you can 'throw it around' a bit more.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Z3n (and the rest of CA, but Z3n in particular) how do you feel about the CB1300?

I'm going to go sit on one tomorrow to find out if the ergo is right.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

With 100 miles on the odo, those are almost certainly the original tires and someone decided to armor all them "back to new". He might as well have smeared bacon grease on them, that thing is going to kill someone.

VERTiG0 posted:

The 2014+ VFR800s just don't have enough value in them for the asking price, goddamn they're overpriced.

Not here in Harley-land:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/5568065626.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/5556060319.html

I'm too lazy to screenshot them but they are both brand new 2014's with 0 miles on the odo for less than $7k.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Son of a bitch. The best NOS deal around me last fall was still about 9k.

If I knew there'd still be new 14s for that cheap this spring I might have held out.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Slavvy posted:

Ok so...why is the vfr800 overpriced? If both of those would blow you away and you don't have any metric for deciding then how can you know a vfr800 isn't worth x amount? Plus you can 'throw it around' a bit more.

They're $15,000 (or $12k for a leftover 2015) for a bike with an engine and frame from 2002, and we don't get the option of the Deluxe model in Canada so tack on another $2,000 for the matching Honda luggage.

Gorson posted:

Not here in Harley-land:

I'm too lazy to screenshot them but they are both brand new 2014's with 0 miles on the odo for less than $7k.

Around $8900 CAD after conversion... poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

With 100 miles on the odo, those are almost certainly the original tires and someone decided to armor all them "back to new". He might as well have smeared bacon grease on them, that thing is going to kill someone.

Not here in Harley-land:

Sup fellow MKE goon :hfive:

Those are some drat good prices for 0 mile VFR's, a low mileage one has to be dirt cheap!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sup fellow MKE goon :hfive:

Those are some drat good prices for 0 mile VFR's, a low mileage one has to be dirt cheap!

I'm actually in Eau Claire, but Harley-land nonetheless. See check this out:

Craigslist search for "VFR": 1 result (and it's a Magna)
Craigslist search for "Sportster": 35 results

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

darth cookie posted:

Z3n (and the rest of CA, but Z3n in particular) how do you feel about the CB1300?

I'm going to go sit on one tomorrow to find out if the ergo is right.

I test rode one a few years ago. They look good in white/red/gold, they're comfortable, very stable, pull like a train, but like a train you never really get excited by it. Cornering isn't great. It'll corner just fine, but heaving that cow around takes some concerted effort. They'll also soak your balls or whatever else you're carrying down there with a frigid torrent of water down the tank when it rains heavily.
Overall, it's a solid bike that looks great, but lithe and nimble it ain't. I'll admit though that my opinion was coloured by having just test rode a Brutale 750 immediately prior, which was very much the half-mad barrel racing quarter horse compared to the steady pulling draft horse of the CB.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

They're $15,000 (or $12k for a leftover 2015) for a bike with an engine and frame from 2002, and we don't get the option of the Deluxe model in Canada so tack on another $2,000 for the matching Honda luggage.

Around $8900 CAD after conversion... poo poo.

So your rear end and hands can tell the frame is from 2002 and not 2015? Or what? Like is there an actual reason or is it really just ew I don't want something with old DNA? Cause the Z1000 engine is based on a zx9 from the 90's :ssh:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Linedance posted:

I test rode one a few years ago. They look good in white/red/gold, they're comfortable, very stable, pull like a train, but like a train you never really get excited by it. Cornering isn't great. It'll corner just fine, but heaving that cow around takes some concerted effort. They'll also soak your balls or whatever else you're carrying down there with a frigid torrent of water down the tank when it rains heavily.
Overall, it's a solid bike that looks great, but lithe and nimble it ain't. I'll admit though that my opinion was coloured by having just test rode a Brutale 750 immediately prior, which was very much the half-mad barrel racing quarter horse compared to the steady pulling draft horse of the CB.

I always assume a ball-soaking is in order when riding a bike in the rain. The rest sounds more or less like what I expected.

Edit: went and sat on one. Man it is HEAVY getting it off the side stand, but not unmanageable. I thought I'd be prepared considering I ride a 1000cc bike all the time but this was something else. It's also big. Enormous in fact, but it's deceptive because the seating position is very good and comfortable. It was kind of surreal because it was parked next to a Suzuki 1250 bandit and you'd never believe they're similar dispacements. The bandit looked tiny by comparison.

I'm probably going to take the cb1300 for a test ride this week just to get a feel of what it's like to paddle it around in traffic.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

darth cookie posted:

I always assume a ball-soaking is in order when riding a bike in the rain. The rest sounds more or less like what I expected.

Edit: went and sat on one. Man it is HEAVY getting it off the side stand, but not unmanageable. I thought I'd be prepared considering I ride a 1000cc bike all the time but this was something else. It's also big. Enormous in fact, but it's deceptive because the seating position is very good and comfortable. It was kind of surreal because it was parked next to a Suzuki 1250 bandit and you'd never believe they're similar dispacements. The bandit looked tiny by comparison.

It's really pretty similar to a 1970's Goldwing in size, weight, and horsepower, though the wings may balance a little better because the boxer and underseat gas tank keep the weight fairly low to the ground. At least the CB1000 has 10 more HP. :shobon: