Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

zVxTeflon posted:

this whole conversation is why people dont read this subforum

It turns out that no one wants to talk about movies on the movie forum.

(I mean it's obnoxious, but have you read the other subforums? These are goons, they're gonna goon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zVxTeflon posted:

this whole conversation is why people dont read this subforum

Here is my hot take. Well, bye!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sometimes you just wanna poo poo on something.

It feels good to poo poo.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My favourite part about Under the Skin was seeing Scarlet Johansson in places that I go by all the time. Also it was a very good movie about a sex alien, and this thread is for talking about very good movies about sex aliens.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Maybe Alien 3 would of been better if Danny Glover had a wacky chase sequence with the alien...or had this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOw47NC_sxI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Sometimes you just wanna poo poo on something.

It feels good to poo poo.

If you want to poo poo in public, go to Shanghai.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Its free on Amazon Prime.
I gave it a watch last night, overall I dug it but with some reservations. At the sake of further derailing this thread, is there a dedicated thread for Under The Skin?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

I genuinely don't value your opinion enough to put any energy into figuring it out. State your position and defend it or don't

Well, you did your best.

Under the Skin uses vampire imagery to play around with the concept of a femme fatale, going beyond how the figure is portrayed in both classic or neo-noir films. The drinking of blood in such films is never literal; it represents such as profit. The X character is 'merely' a prostitute, but pushed to an extreme - the essence of what it is to be prostituted: completely dehumanized, literally and metaphorically undead. The sci-fi conceit is used to dispel the male fantasy of finding true love - 'a human heart of gold' - underneath the impersonal exterior, as we see the events from 'her' point of view as purely transactional.

When the character is first pulled up as a corpse, from the side of the road, she is immediately identifiable as a post-traumatic subject. "Different forms of traumatic encounters, independently of their specific nature (social, natural, biological, symbol...) lead to the same result - a new subject emerges which survives its own death, the death (erasure) of its symbolic identity. There is no continuity between this new 'post-traumatic' subject (suffering Alzheimer's or other cerebral lesions, etc.): after the shock, literally a new subject emerges. Its features are well-known from numerous descriptions: lack of emotional engagement, profound indifference and detachment - it is a subject who is no longer 'in-the-world' in the Heideggerian sense of engaged embodied existence. This subject lives death as a form of life - his life is death-drive embodied, a life deprived of erotic engagement." -Zizek

This is all relevant here because that is precisely the premise of Alien: Resurrection, as combined with the character Sil from Species. But going further, as X is a Godzilla-like sympathetic character of pure drive - demonic, radical Evil.

Not coincidentally, Chappie deals with extremely similar themes - though perhaps even more abstract.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you see now why some people hear are so adamant that Prometheus is a "good" movie.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
Prometheus is a good movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you want to poo poo in public, go to Shanghai.

Haha. I like this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Can you see now why some people hear are so adamant that Prometheus is a "good" movie.

Because it is? It's got some holes in it, but that doesn't automatically make a movie bad- the performances are fun, the designs are incredibly cool (if fairly divorced from the Alien aesthetic), and the themes the movie tries to tackle are genuinely interesting and relatively unexplored territory for blockbusters.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
No you see the scientists don't act smart, not smart like me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, you did your best.

Under the Skin uses vampire imagery to play around with the concept of a femme fatale, going beyond how the figure is portrayed in both classic or neo-noir films. The drinking of blood in such films is never literal; it represents such as profit. The X character is 'merely' a prostitute, but pushed to an extreme - the essence of what it is to be prostituted: completely dehumanized, literally and metaphorically undead. The sci-fi conceit is used to dispel the male fantasy of finding true love - 'a human heart of gold' - underneath the impersonal exterior, as we see the events from 'her' point of view as purely transactional.

When the character is first pulled up as a corpse, from the side of the road, she is immediately identifiable as a post-traumatic subject. "Different forms of traumatic encounters, independently of their specific nature (social, natural, biological, symbol...) lead to the same result - a new subject emerges which survives its own death, the death (erasure) of its symbolic identity. There is no continuity between this new 'post-traumatic' subject (suffering Alzheimer's or other cerebral lesions, etc.): after the shock, literally a new subject emerges. Its features are well-known from numerous descriptions: lack of emotional engagement, profound indifference and detachment - it is a subject who is no longer 'in-the-world' in the Heideggerian sense of engaged embodied existence. This subject lives death as a form of life - his life is death-drive embodied, a life deprived of erotic engagement." -Zizek

This is all relevant here because that is precisely the premise of Alien: Resurrection, as combined with the character Sil from Species. But going further, as X is a Godzilla-like sympathetic character of pure drive - demonic, radical Evil.

Not coincidentally, Chappie deals with extremely similar themes - though perhaps even more abstract.

What does that have to do with Animal Farm?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

What does that have to do with Animal Farm?

The character in the book is a sheep.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

No you see the scientists don't act smart, not smart like me.
Even I've come to grips with this. Like yeah some characters do some questionable stuff and that's unfortunate and makes me think less of them, but there's plenty of other stuff going on in the movie that I like that it's real easy to overlook.

As a deconstruction of optimistic 1950s whiz-bang sci-fi, I think some of the impact is lessened by the movie existing in a post-Alien world. Like audiences going into Prometheus knew it was made by Ridley Scott, so they knew things were going to go south and people would get hosed up. Can you imagine if Prometheus had come out in like the 1950s?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Xenomrph posted:

Even I've come to grips with this. Like yeah some characters do some questionable stuff and that's unfortunate and makes me think less of them, but there's plenty of other stuff going on in the movie that I like that it's real easy to overlook.

As a deconstruction of optimistic 1950s whiz-bang sci-fi, I think some of the impact is lessened by the movie existing in a post-Alien world. Like audiences going into Prometheus knew it was made by Ridley Scott, so they knew things were going to go south and people would get hosed up. Can you imagine if Prometheus had come out in like the 1950s?

It's even simpler than that, really.

The difference between the Nostromo and the Prometheus is that the latter is crewed by the bosses.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The character in the book is a sheep.

In the book Under the Skin? You mean its a sheep disguised as a human or its an alien disguised as a sheep?

I guess the movie took a lot of liberties with the story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The problem with Prometheus is that Ridley Scott cut down the movie so it can make more money. Which is fine, but it ruined some good character stuff. Like how Milburn IS a touchy weird dude who looooves animals and loves to touch aliens. It was set up earlier in a deleted scene. And then when he does it later, it's perfectly in line with his character.

I like the movie and all, but it's a bit iffy. But ultimately, I appreciate it for being something new for the series, and not a boring rehash.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

As a deconstruction of optimistic 1950s whiz-bang sci-fi, I think some of the impact is lessened by the movie existing in a post-Alien world.

That's getting things backwards.

Fans expecting a 'more realistic' Alien were treated to a meticulously realistic 1950s monster movie, because that's what the series has always been.

CelticPredator posted:

The problem with Prometheus is that Ridley Scott cut down the movie so it can make more money.

That's nonsense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fans expecting a 'more realistic' Alien
I can't think of any fans who were expecting that.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Alien is a fairly straight forward remake of It! The Terror from Beyond Space, except with a higher body count and less subtle sexual imagery.

I'm pretty excited to see what Covenant is about. Prometheus is about our creation, but the Covenant is about an agreement, a pact made with God. Raiders of the Lost Ark is directly referenced and it's going to be rad to read in conjunction with Scott's Exodus movie. Plus mother loving Danny McBride. My most anticipated movie since, well, Prometheus.

Edit: Now I want Covenant to be about Danny McBride as Space Indiana Jones, running around with Michael Fassbender's sarcastic disembodied head.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 8, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fans expecting a 'more realistic' Alien were treated to a meticulously realistic 1950s monster movie, because that's what the series has always been.

The problem with Prometheus is that it attempts to serve two masters regarding this. It attempts to be both a modern blockbuster and a 1950s monster movie, and the styles frankly don't gel that well with each other, which I think is the primary reason the campy aspects throw people off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's getting things backwards.

That's nonsense.

Actually it's true.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because I'm a Human being, and you're a loving robot.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The problem with Prometheus is that Ridley Scott cut down the movie so it can make more money.

The footage was cut for pacing. He also refused the studio's request for an extended edition.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I genuinely don't value your opinion enough to put any energy into figuring it out. State your position and defend it or don't

I don't know what it is about these faceless goons who continually expose themselves to have no outside critical thinking just so they can say they "totally owned smg in that thread, he was totes flustered and everyone clapped" bullshit. I mean, you realize how obtuse you're being right? For what? E-cred? Seriously. The saddest goons.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's very difficult, but necessary, to accept that every Alien film traffics in the same type of abstraction as this 'art house' fare.

Of course people know full well that Alien is not a warning about the threat posed by UFO crash sites, and yet...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't want e cred, I just love the alien films for its visuals and its characters.

Brett is an all timer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I think boomx3 here was just finding a face-saving way to say that he wasn't following SMG's point. I'm pretty sure he did pretty well compared to most goons in that very crowded field, really.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 8, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ruddiger posted:

I don't know what it is about these faceless goons who continually expose themselves to have no outside critical thinking just so they can say they "totally owned smg in that thread, he was totes flustered and everyone clapped" bullshit. I mean, you realize how obtuse you're being right? For what? E-cred? Seriously. The saddest goons.

I genuinely don't understand why SMG didn't just say "I think the woman in Under the Skin wasn't an alien at all, she was a victim of a horrible trauma, and the alien stuff is just a metaphor for that". Instead he started talking about Animal Farm and said that there's another movie where somebody wears a fur coat and isn't an alien. He acted like he was attempting to lead me to the enlightenment of his Correct Movie Interpretation.

If you want to have a conversation with somebody, state your opinion and defend it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SMG brought up Animal Farm for a very simple reason and it's honestly impressive that you don't understand why.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
He clearly understood why. His issue was with SMG talking down to him, and he refused to play along with SMG's 'breadcrumbs to wisdom' game.

I mean, holy poo poo, even if you agree with SMG, it's honestly impressive that you don't understand why he took issue with how SMG was speaking to him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe he should be less smug about his bad opinion.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Posts like these are why no one posts in CD except movie spergs and snobs. You're called retarded if you don't absolutely love a movie filled with long ambient pauses of background shots instead of saying it was "okay I guess."

look at this idiot taking a movie at face value what a simpleton *puts more caviar on cracker*

Pimpcasso fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 8, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Surely there's room for SMG to be less smug about his, for sake of argument, good opinions?

In any case, I realize I am not talking about the film, so I'll let it go.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I mean, holy poo poo, even if you agree with SMG, it's honestly impressive that you don't understand why he took issue with how SMG was speaking to him.

are you mad sir

we are discussing the right way to enjoy spaceship movies. the stakes are high, we have no time for 'plain speaking' or 'politeness' or 'not being a total choad'

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Are you referring to me or SMG?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

vols bitch posted:

Posts like these are why no one posts in CD except movie spergs and snobs. You're called retarded if you don't absolutely love a movie filled with long ambient pauses of background shots instead of saying it was "okay I guess."

look at this idiot taking a movie at face value what a simpleton *puts more caviar on cracker*
And I wouldn't have it any other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

Are you referring to me or SMG?

Either!

vols bitch posted:

I don't call people retarded.