Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
Some of the most fun I've had in any of From's games thanks to this clever invader. I'm not sure if he saw me pop the white ring on and was playing along the whole time, or if I tricked him for a while, but the results are undeniably great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4e4rwLWa5I

Those poor phantoms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Can gestures be used for anything? I find some places where someone's written on the ground "try gesture", or something like that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Path of the dragon gesture can be used to get a few things in the dragon area.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

Some of the most fun I've had in any of From's games thanks to this clever invader. I'm not sure if he saw me pop the white ring on and was playing along the whole time, or if I tricked him for a while, but the results are undeniably great.

Those poor phantoms...

This is surprisingly amazing.

I'm also sure you learned a very important lesson about what not to leave behind in a storage chest.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 8, 2016

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012

Section Z posted:

This is surprisingly amazing.

I'm also sure you learned a very important lesson about what not to leave behind in a storage chest.

Ahah yeah, no torch either... I knew before I even checked but looked through anyways... was too busy thinking about how I don't have a torch to keep a good eye on that invader, but man, that guy was great. The surprise of seeing him like that for the first time was incredible.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Warden Twinblade bleed builds are the real deal (NG+, endgame boss spoiler alert):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgww1mg62II

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This was from a few pages ago, but it'd be wrong to let this go without reliving this wonder from Dark Souls I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5oXxeFD208

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Chuch posted:

Warden Twinblade bleed builds are the real deal (NG+, endgame boss spoiler alert):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgww1mg62II

Any guess on the infusion/stats? Because I don't think they're hollowed/40 luck.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

mastershakeman posted:

Any guess on the infusion/stats? Because I don't think they're hollowed/40 luck.

This is my video. Sharp infusion, 40 Dex/Luck.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Got wolfbro summoned into a world that already had two other wolfbro summons in it (PS4) :v:

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Thumbtacks posted:

http://imgur.com/a/oeeWx

Basically used Composite Bow and Dragonrider Bow. DB does a lot more damage but the advantage of CB is that you can attack out of rolls/dashes, which means you get a lot more opportunities since the shots are instant (no windup). The counter shots do less damage, though.

It was fun, I enjoyed it.

That is unbelievably impressive and has inspired me to try the same later tonight.

Also, has anyone had any success with a PVP dagger build? I loved the bandit's knife in both DKS and DKS2 but the damage in 3, especially on the riposte is just shy of being what I'd like.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

frytechnician posted:

That is unbelievably impressive and has inspired me to try the same later tonight.

Also, has anyone had any success with a PVP dagger build? I loved the bandit's knife in both DKS and DKS2 but the damage in 3, especially on the riposte is just shy of being what I'd like.

I've seen a few people use I think a bandit knife (something with bleed anyway) and iron flesh. Then you skip around and bleed people.

I've died to it.

fanman
Mar 1, 2013
So this has probably been mentioned by now, but I just discovered it:

The Crocodogs/Sulyvahn's Beasts can be staggered, and when they do they bend their backs backward and spread out their ribs exactly like the Gaping Dragon of DS1.
Didn't see it coming and almost missed the riposte.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sakurazuka posted:

About the same really, DS1 is probably the 'easiest' just because everything moves kinda slow compared to the later games, though that includes you.

I'm coming up on the last lord soul boss, but I feel like DS3 has been the easiest of all the games so far. I can't tell if it is or I'm just used to these games after beating DaS, DaS2 and BB, but I've only had one section give me any trouble at all: that drat covenenat room at the bottom of the long ladder with those gently caress off huge dogs that can one-shot you.

I summoned for maybe half the bosses, but even then I've finished Aldritch, Dancer, Armour and Oceiros solo in a single attempt. The bosses don't seem as easy as DaS2's "strafe to win" bosses, but I think that's because you fight a boss in that game every fifteen feet so most of them just feel like dudes with bigger health bars.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Peak yet, so I may backpeddal on all this, but for the most part this game feels like a nice breeze on a Spring day compared to the grinder of making it through Anor Londo, Blighttown, etc of the first game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZO9oc9Ncc

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is it possible to use another players save game as your own? If someone were to back up their save game, drop box it, could I then use it, or would PSN conflicts prevent that?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

turtlecrunch posted:

Uploaded my second sorcery run for anyone still wondering about sorcery. I included my equip screen when I thought of it. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxbANwLVeJ0

Boss List if you want to go to a specific one:

Iudex Gundyr :36
Vordt of the Boreal Valley 2:44
Curse-rotted Greatwood 4:36
Crystal Sage 8:47
Deacons of the Deep 12:07
Abyss Watchers 15:36
Old Demon King 18:44
High Lord Wolnir 20:51
Pontiff Sulyvahn 22:50
Yhorm 24:55
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods 26:59
Dancer of the Boreal Valley 31:58
Dragonslayer Armour 34:02
Consumed King Oceiros 35:33
Ancient Wyvern 37:23
King of the Storm / Nameless King 42:22
Champion Gundyr 45:49
Princes Lothric and Lorian 47:19
Soul of Cinder 51:48

I like the footage itself, but do you hate the soundtrack? I had to mute the video and search up the OST for each boss fight myself.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

lite_sleepr posted:

Is it possible to use another players save game as your own? If someone were to back up their save game, drop box it, could I then use it, or would PSN conflicts prevent that?

I would bet it's tied to your PSN account. Otherwise you'd see a lot of save swapping for trophies.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gologle posted:

I like the footage itself, but do you hate the soundtrack? I had to mute the video and search up the OST for each boss fight myself.

I don't really have an opinion/memory of the game OST (which probably means it's bland), but turning off the music in-game helps me focus sometimes. Abyss Watchers theme is an exception, I know I like that one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't really have an opinion/memory of the game OST (which probably means it's bland)

Or means you have poor taste...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

Those poor phantoms...

What the gently caress is that? What the red phantom did? I encountered that for the first time in Archdragon Peak after the first boss. Guy was just walking up to me, I wasn't sure of what to do, then he did that poo poo.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't really have an opinion/memory of the game OST (which probably means it's bland), but turning off the music in-game helps me focus sometimes. Abyss Watchers theme is an exception, I know I like that one.

Agreed, the sound directing could use some direction in this game. I especially remember vordt with the loving choir turned up to eleven on phase two, and I was like "calm down game, first real boss"

E: Not to mention all the screaming enemies in the road of sacrifice. I just muted my set in that area.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

What the gently caress is that? What the red phantom did? I encountered that for the first time in Archdragon Peak after the first boss. Guy was just walking up to me, I wasn't sure of what to do, then he did that poo poo.

It's sacred flame. It's bugged and does insane damage if you cast it with the right catalyst in the offhand which is what this guy was doing. The spell does a lot of damage anyway though so even if he wasn't that phantom probably would've eaten it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So the wiki says you get the heavy crossbow from the Cathedral knight sporting one.

Did I miss it forever in NG because my first time through, he died by falling to his death and I didn't go all the way down to the bottom because I was too busy trying to unlock the Rosaria shortcut?

I just went back and killed him three times, nothing.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NTT posted:

Opinion: the two spider things that drop Aldrich rings are cute.

They're big fuzzy catspiders, why would anyone not think they're cute :3:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Szcwczuk posted:

After 200+ hours in this game I think I have a fairly good handle on this game. I love it and love that even after so much time I still have a lot to learn and a lot of try. However it is starting to show some cracks, some cracks in the form of balance, difficulty and stagnation. This has been my first Dark Souls game* I've ever played for any longer than an hour. After Everyone telling me how hard the game is I kinda feel cheated this game is by no means easy but it's also much easier then I was lead to believe.

Most PVE fights come down to little more then a gimmick (yhorm), strafing around the side of your opponent or rolling constantly. Once you learn rolling negates damage you end up rolling through entire sections of the game. Rolling is a trump card for content, I really feel they need to make rolling a less powerful tool. There also needs to be a longer animation on estus chugging not for just pve but also pvp it's so easy to find a small opening in a fight to chain 2 or more estus charges. The mobs in the area before the boss are often many times harder then the boss it's self.

On the subject of new game and new game +...etc I really thought it would change a lot more when I went to NG+ I was thinking enemy's would change a lot more then they do. I mean you go into it with +10 weapons and a high SL. Sadly you end up just steam rolling over everything the change makes it feel like you just bonfired back to the start not like you are starting a new game. The bosses should get new move sets and new transpositions and the mobs need to get a lot more health and damage.

I'll talk about PVP later.

*I want you to remember this when you hate me for my opinions.

There might be some rose colored glasses in this post:

I agree with you on the rolling, it's one of the things that I feel is a fundamental problem with the game. In Dark souls 1/2 rolling had a much higher stamina cost, and fewer invincibility frames (Yes, dark souls 2 had a stat that effected roll iframes and that was BS). In many cases the stamina cost of blocking was much less than that of rolling, and there are some level designs that made rolling extremely dangerous. I personally really like Blighttown now that I can play Dark 1 on PC and a poor roll there is instant death. The stamina cost of blocking has been pushed so high, and healing has been made so powerful, that I found it better to trade hits with bosses - a lot of this has to do with going strength/heavy weapons on my first run admittedly. Going with faster weapons on subsequent runs meant I was able to sneak in damage between rolls easier.

Estus abuse is a big problem and I think that the estus system and the enemy system is some sort of snake eating itself scenario. The enemies in Dark 3 are much more aggressive in Dark 1/2, so to make up for this they made estus stronger, but estus is now too strong so now let's make the enemies more powerful so they have a much better chance of killing you. I personally think estus was done the best in Dark 1 but letting the player kindle a bonfire to 20 estus flasks was pretty ridiculous. They should have tried to balance the game around 5 estus flasks at the bonfire, and 10 while kindled, and that's it.

I welcome souls being much faster but sometimes the speed doesn't match up especially well with the gameplay. Let's take the scenario where the player gets knocked down. You have two options, slowly stand up or mash the roll button to 'roll' up. The second option is always superior to the first option because the first option is slower and has no iframes. Some bosses will punish you for not rolling up which is really frustrating when it's not communicated to the player that you can do that (I didn't figure it out until Untended Graves). Let's compare this with Way of the Samurai, or other fighting-type games. Generally in these games you have the ability to time your landing and not even faceplant when you land by pressing the block button in a certain window on the way to the ground. Otherwise if you're on the ground you can press the attack button to attack while standing up, stand up normally, or 'roll' up, and in high level play you will take advantage of all these options given your opponent in these situations. I dislike how often Dark 3 puts you on the ground and I have a feeling they did this to reduce the chance of a player dying from the hyperactive enemy attacks, and the fact that you always roll up means it should at the very least be default and the player should only push the direction to roll.

Way too long of post sorry folks. I like Dark 3 but I'm ready to put it down, the PVP just isn't very good and other issues make me avoid things like gimmick builds for invasions.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Parried Champion Gundyr to death yesterday. Broke the cycle of "get poo poo beaten out of you, use estus, get poo poo beaten out of you before you can move" long enough to get into a cycle of parrying.

All the practice I got from Gundyr persuaded me to get one of the parry shields. I'd been trying to avoid spoiling where stuff was, but I'd apparently missed the imprisoned merchant who sells the buckler right back at the start of the game. Not looking stuff up has meant I've broken pretty much every npc questline. Oops?

Buckler's proven real useful during PVP, though there's been a bit of trial and error with what I can and can't parry. With the hornet ring, it's pretty useful for speedily finishing fights rather than playing "keep away and drink estus". Leads to some fantastic moments. Parrying and jamming my sword into the host, with their phantom buddies stuck there watching them die. Catching people off-guard who think they've got me stunlocked with sword slashes and turning the tables.

What's a good SL to mess around in the Anor Londo area with? Both for Aldrich Faithful and for normal invasions? Been chilling at SL57 for ages now.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

TaurusOxford posted:

Or means you have poor taste...

best track from each game, fite me

e: I don't actually need a video preview for songs thx forum

Demon's Souls - Maiden Astraea
Dark Souls - Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Dark Souls 2 - Sir Alonne
Bloodborne - Ludwig, the Holy Blade
Dark Souls 3 - Abyss Watchers

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 8, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

turtlecrunch posted:

Uploaded my second sorcery run for anyone still wondering about sorcery. I included my equip screen when I thought of it. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxbANwLVeJ0

Boss List if you want to go to a specific one:

Iudex Gundyr :36
Vordt of the Boreal Valley 2:44
Curse-rotted Greatwood 4:36
Crystal Sage 8:47
Deacons of the Deep 12:07
Abyss Watchers 15:36
Old Demon King 18:44
High Lord Wolnir 20:51
Pontiff Sulyvahn 22:50
Yhorm 24:55
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods 26:59
Dancer of the Boreal Valley 31:58
Dragonslayer Armour 34:02
Consumed King Oceiros 35:33
Ancient Wyvern 37:23
King of the Storm / Nameless King 42:22
Champion Gundyr 45:49
Princes Lothric and Lorian 47:19
Soul of Cinder 51:48

I'm watching it right now. This is pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Digirat posted:

while getting so loving self-referential about dark souls 1 that their head pretty much has to be lodged in their colon by now.

it's a loving sequel.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

And wrapping up the entire series. And they know they have fans who like to beat their dicks bloody making a mile of lore when you give them an inch of text.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a loving sequel.

There's a difference between self-reference to advance a story and self-reference for the sake of gratuitous fan service.

This game does a lot of both, but a lot of instances of the latter can be quite jarring and unnatural feeling.

^^^ also what the previous post said. A lot of fans will ignore my latter point and write small novels about how small bits of fanservice are completely consequential to the lore. See: the dozens of pages of debate in this thread about who Aldritch ate.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 8, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Replace your BB, DS1, and DS3 picks with Gehrman, the First Hunter, Artorias and Soul of Cinder. You are right about the other two though.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
lmfao. Guy with an estoc and estus spam hides behind a jailer, then has the cheek to spam his clap emote when I pull out a dark sword. :allears:

Should have used my seed of the Giants against him, but that felt like overkill.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BurntCornMuffin posted:

^^^ also what the previous post said. A lot of fans will ignore my latter point and write small novels about how small bits of fanservice are completely consequential to the lore. See: the dozens of pages of debate in this thread about who Aldritch ate.

it's because your latter point isn't very good nor accurate.

people are acting like you run into solaire.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The crow is just a tiny piece of Aldrich that ate Solaire.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ProfessorBooty posted:

Estus abuse is a big problem
I'm sorry but I can't help but imagine some estus abuse PSA advert now with a soft-spoken celebrity voiceover. I hate my brain sometimes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what the gently caress am i supposed to do in nameless king phase 1 other than it taking forever because its a nightmare trying to hit anything other than the dragons legs?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

what the gently caress am i supposed to do in nameless king phase 1 other than it taking forever because its a nightmare trying to hit anything other than the dragons legs?

Bait its head into coming down. Don't lock on, dick around in front of him. When the King takes a swing at you, or the dragon tries to bite you, it'll leave the thing's neck wide open to attacks.

e; let my brother take over for a bit, who has never played a souls game, and it's hilarious listening to him.

"gently caress off you stupid poker bitch"

"THAT FUCKER PUKED ON ME"

"Some red oval office's attacking"

R1 spam seems to work for him, so I can't really judge.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
maybe i need to use the heavy dark sword i got that i never use because the dragons tooth keeps missing when it looks like it should hit its so slow