Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's because your latter point isn't very good nor accurate.

people are acting like you run into solaire.

No but you do run into Andre :v:

I really don't care about the abundance of Dark Souls 1 references, but that's because I expected them. From loving loves referencing themselves, even when there's no reason for it. Its just a thing they do. Some of the DS1 references made me smile, some of them made me sad, some of them made me roll my eyes at how pointless they were. The only ones that are really important though are the ones related to the lore of the world and the significant plot events.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter that Andre is the blacksmith again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ProfessorBooty posted:

There might be some rose colored glasses in this post:

I agree with you on the rolling, it's one of the things that I feel is a fundamental problem with the game. In Dark souls 1/2 rolling had a much higher stamina cost, and fewer invincibility frames (Yes, dark souls 2 had a stat that effected roll iframes and that was BS). In many cases the stamina cost of blocking was much less than that of rolling, and there are some level designs that made rolling extremely dangerous. I personally really like Blighttown now that I can play Dark 1 on PC and a poor roll there is instant death. The stamina cost of blocking has been pushed so high, and healing has been made so powerful, that I found it better to trade hits with bosses - a lot of this has to do with going strength/heavy weapons on my first run admittedly. Going with faster weapons on subsequent runs meant I was able to sneak in damage between rolls easier.

Estus abuse is a big problem and I think that the estus system and the enemy system is some sort of snake eating itself scenario. The enemies in Dark 3 are much more aggressive in Dark 1/2, so to make up for this they made estus stronger, but estus is now too strong so now let's make the enemies more powerful so they have a much better chance of killing you. I personally think estus was done the best in Dark 1 but letting the player kindle a bonfire to 20 estus flasks was pretty ridiculous. They should have tried to balance the game around 5 estus flasks at the bonfire, and 10 while kindled, and that's it.

I welcome souls being much faster but sometimes the speed doesn't match up especially well with the gameplay. Let's take the scenario where the player gets knocked down. You have two options, slowly stand up or mash the roll button to 'roll' up. The second option is always superior to the first option because the first option is slower and has no iframes. Some bosses will punish you for not rolling up which is really frustrating when it's not communicated to the player that you can do that (I didn't figure it out until Untended Graves). Let's compare this with Way of the Samurai, or other fighting-type games. Generally in these games you have the ability to time your landing and not even faceplant when you land by pressing the block button in a certain window on the way to the ground. Otherwise if you're on the ground you can press the attack button to attack while standing up, stand up normally, or 'roll' up, and in high level play you will take advantage of all these options given your opponent in these situations. I dislike how often Dark 3 puts you on the ground and I have a feeling they did this to reduce the chance of a player dying from the hyperactive enemy attacks, and the fact that you always roll up means it should at the very least be default and the player should only push the direction to roll.

Way too long of post sorry folks. I like Dark 3 but I'm ready to put it down, the PVP just isn't very good and other issues make me avoid things like gimmick builds for invasions.

I dunno. You can tell it's designed for PvE. Rolling is more effective than blocking because it forces you to respond to the timing of what the other guy is doing. (Are people using the charged R2s to feint and punish in PvP? Does it work? I don't have online lol) Estus max is the total number of mistakes you can survive, plus or minus a couple for VIG investment. It works pretty well but it makes it feel like the game designers have solved their own game and know all the poo poo anyone can do. and by this point, why shouldn't they have? I like it a lot but i'm also glad this is the last one.

Oh but you missed something about rolling out of a knockdown-- you can delay it to bait attacks. Every time the Champ knocks you down, he'll go into his mega punishable jump attack if you don't roll out right away. I don't know how many enemies it matters for though.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

What the gently caress is that? What the red phantom did? I encountered that for the first time in Archdragon Peak after the first boss. Guy was just walking up to me, I wasn't sure of what to do, then he did that poo poo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4hwog7/psa_sacred_flame_and_you_all_you_could_want_to/

Reddit has torn this apart already, but try it. Doing iron flesh and sacred flame bug is a ton of fun. You lose if the person is aware of it, so I'm calling it balanced.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Has anyone else on PC had issues with slight freezing or stuttering? Especially like closing menu screens or picking up items etc. and if so did you fix it? I'm on a 2600k 8gb ram and a 970. Latest drivers and I even put everything on low/off in video options.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

limited posted:

I'm sorry but I can't help but imagine some estus abuse PSA advert now with a soft-spoken celebrity voiceover. I hate my brain sometimes.

We here at Estusholics Anonymous understand that Estus addiction a serious problem.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

Some of the most fun I've had in any of From's games thanks to this clever invader. I'm not sure if he saw me pop the white ring on and was playing along the whole time, or if I tricked him for a while, but the results are undeniably great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4e4rwLWa5I

Those poor phantoms...

This guy gets it, there is not such thing as too much pvp.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

swamp waste posted:

I dunno. You can tell it's designed for PvE. Rolling is more effective than blocking because it forces you to respond to the timing of what the other guy is doing. (Are people using the charged R2s to feint and punish in PvP? Does it work? I don't have online lol) Estus max is the total number of mistakes you can survive, plus or minus a couple for VIG investment. It works pretty well but it makes it feel like the game designers have solved their own game and know all the poo poo anyone can do. and by this point, why shouldn't they have? I like it a lot but i'm also glad this is the last one.

Yeah I tried to focus most of my comments on how it works in PVE. These games aren't built for PVP - but there are advantages to having a more-balanced PVP: It means tactics are better balanced for PVE.

I am sad that From never really perfected the souls formula. Compare Souls to Super Mario Brothers. SMB 1 was great, SMB 2 was the weird one but still pretty good, and SMB 3 perfected the formula. Technically From had 4 games to perfect the formula if you include Demon's Souls. The charging system is useful in PVE/PVP and I like it as an addition, but I wish they expanded it. Instead of making small/medium shields extremely risky (for blocking) they could have added a timing element, where shields become less effective the more they're kept up. Parrying could have timing, too, where you hold down L2 to 'prepare' to parry, and release for the parry animation to work - with enemies that hold their weapon above their head for a second or two before attacking this would be a great addition. R1's should have gotten the charging treatment, too, and any charging move should have an option to roll away mid-charge.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ugh, I would not have expected the hardest part of the big monsters down the big ladder being HITTING THEM.

Managed the one on the bridge okay on the first shot, managed the first one down the ladder okay first shot.... and then a clown show of my constantly barely wiffing against them with my Flamberge when they were down to their last little bit of health three times. Be it "Whoops it passed barely under their chin, sorry. Whoops barely wiffed their legs, sorry. Try a rolling attack! oh they jumped away from your hit again."

Well, it's dead now and I don't have to worry about my horrible depth perception until the next one of these, wherever that may be.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

swamp waste posted:

Oh but you missed something about rolling out of a knockdown-- you can delay it to bait attacks. Every time the Champ knocks you down, he'll go into his mega punishable jump attack if you don't roll out right away. I don't know how many enemies it matters for though.

I t hink feinting with R2 online only works if you're using a great weapon and the guy is stood in your face spamming parry.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Most R2s can be charged for feinting, and most ultra great weapons just plain can't be parried when two handed. Generally speaking if someone is trying to parry you, you just wait until the parry animation and THEN hit them with an R1, though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Section Z posted:

Ugh, I would not have expected the hardest part of the big monsters down the big ladder being HITTING THEM.

Managed the one on the bridge okay on the first shot, managed the first one down the ladder okay first shot.... and then a clown show of my constantly barely wiffing against them with my Flamberge when they were down to their last little bit of health three times. Be it "Whoops it passed barely under their chin, sorry. Whoops barely wiffed their legs, sorry. Try a rolling attack! oh they jumped away from your hit again."

Well, it's dead now and I don't have to worry about my horrible depth perception until the next one of these, wherever that may be.

The way I handle them is teasing one to come after me, I head up to head-height (statue) on the ladder then try to land a plunge to stagger it, then riposte + a few extra slashes or a whole new climb up the ladder to repeat it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Charging R2s worked beautifully with the Executioner's Greatsword because it doesn't take ages to do the full charge like on other weapons, and it's a wide sweep. So someone rolling as soon as they see the R2 animation start, but towards me to punish, will quite often run directly into the fully charged attack, and that HURTS.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'd love to see a From game that was balanced around doing co-op in largish teams (nothing crazy, like 3-4 people. Your typical D&D party type dealy), with enemies that acted in squads and came in sufficient numbers (and behaved smartly enough) to still pose a threat that you'd have to overcome with teamwork. I think it'd be a lot of fun, the framework is there, they just need to change the focus of the gameplay towards the group aspects.

2 Vs 2 PvP with the dried finger is the most fun I've ever had in these games, so if they could capture the essence of that with a PvE experience (and/or PvP experience in this theoretical co-op oriented game), I would adore it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

The way I handle them is teasing one to come after me, I head up to head-height (statue) on the ladder then try to land a plunge to stagger it, then riposte + a few extra slashes or a whole new climb up the ladder to repeat it.
While it is dead now, I appreciate the advice for any further replays.

I did give the plunging attack a few tries on the second one, but it never really did all that much to stagger them with my luck "Hah! falling attack damage-oh it's immediately flipping it's poo poo ow". I just fought the others up to then normally and it went well, but my "skill level" :airquote: basically flips a coin to decide if I'm above average, or complete trash.

I do have enough self awareness that I probably got greedy trying to nail that last hit to finish it more than I should have. Would have been smarter to just say gently caress it and pitch a firebomb as even that might have been enough to finish the job. But my finger fumbles trying to do that in my victory shot at the pontiff has scared me off a bit from rushed item swapping :v:

Simply Simon posted:

Charging R2s worked beautifully with the Executioner's Greatsword because it doesn't take ages to do the full charge like on other weapons, and it's a wide sweep. So someone rolling as soon as they see the R2 animation start, but towards me to punish, will quite often run directly into the fully charged attack, and that HURTS.

I'd probably be using the Executioner's sword instead of the Flamberge despite the damage difference with my stats, if not for the fact I hate it's Weapon Art. I keep loving up it's art and barely missing when I try to use it for crowd control. stance art on greatswords may have spoiled me.

It looks loving sweet though, especially when on fire. It's the closest thing to a "Stone sword" look outside of the ultra category too. Because I also like the Stone parma.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That would be fun if they could do scaled pvp areas where of you go through it with a buddy, it queues two red invaders for you at the second time.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Jon Snow vs. Robert Strong! Who will win? The zombie lord commander versus the zombie kingsguard! Reanimated corpse vs reanimated corpse! Who shall win and who shall lose the game of thrones?

https://youtu.be/TCjr4bjxOng

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd love to see a From game that was balanced around doing co-op in largish teams (nothing crazy, like 3-4 people. Your typical D&D party type dealy), with enemies that acted in squads and came in sufficient numbers (and behaved smartly enough) to still pose a threat that you'd have to overcome with teamwork. I think it'd be a lot of fun, the framework is there, they just need to change the focus of the gameplay towards the group aspects.

2 Vs 2 PvP with the dried finger is the most fun I've ever had in these games, so if they could capture the essence of that with a PvE experience (and/or PvP experience in this theoretical co-op oriented game), I would adore it.

This is all I've wanted since Demon's. I want a party based Dark Souls experience.

Maybe that's why I liked DS2 as much as I did, cause there was lots of group fights and bosses meant to be fought with friends.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

MarshyMcFly posted:

Jon Snow vs. Robert Strong! Who will win? The zombie lord commander versus the zombie kingsguard! Reanimated corpse vs reanimated corpse! Who shall win and who shall lose the game of thrones?

Jon Snow and Robert Strong are both tryhards :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, so I have 20 sun medals to go and then Master of Miracles is mine. :black101:

At SL 120 where do you think would be best for summon hits? Thinking Sulyvhan now I have his attack pattern down.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

ProfessorBooty posted:

Jon Snow and Robert Strong are both tryhards :(

Aren't we all?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright, so I have 20 sun medals to go and then Master of Miracles is mine. :black101:

At SL 120 where do you think would be best for summon hits? Thinking Sulyvhan now I have his attack pattern down.

You'll probably get more hits at nameless or dragonslayer. But the hosts will loving get obliterated most of t he time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

poptart_fairy posted:

Easier to invade for sun medals

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So in this huge thread this has probably been answered but this is my first souls game and I don't know how obtuse character quests can be. I just saved Siegward from Ithyll Dungeon and chatted him for a bit, then he's supposed to be my bro on beating on Yhorm, the Giant , however, he is not there and got my rear end quickly handed to me. The last time I chatted to him was probably when I got his armor back , have I hosed up the quest?

Samael fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 8, 2016

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Grinding for the evangelist hat is hell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Samael posted:

So in this huge thread this has probably been answered but this is my first souls game and I don't know how obtuse character quests can be. I just saved Siegward from Ithyll Dungeon and chatted him for a bit, then he's supposed to be my bro on beating on Yhorm, the Giant , however, he is not there and got my rear end quickly handed to me. The last time I chatted to him was probably when I got his armor back , have I hosed up the quest?

yes, you missed a step

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

You'll probably get more hits at nameless or dragonslayer. But the hosts will loving get obliterated most of t he time.
Sunbroing at Dragonslayer is hilariously terrible (or was for me, at least). I had several attempts where the host would run in and get one-shotted by the initial jump attack.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Kild posted:

yes, you missed a step

gently caress this game :negative: What did I miss?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm finally taking on the Dungeon, after making my way to the first Anor Londo Bonfire.

"Hah, I'm onto them. I'll plunging attack and finish that guy so I can fight the other one at my leisure :smug: I am the height of caution-Oh gently caress, OH gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress... I have no idea how they missed me point blank, but I'll take it :shepface: Now, let's take a look around what else is here :staredog:"

One Carthus Flame arc and a bunch of opening fire orbs later, I decide it's best to take a break. As much because there is a high likelihood of being interrupted in the near future as anything.

This place is also clinching my future decision to go for 18 Attune, after I hit 24 STR. I've been wearing a spell slot ring for as long as I had access to one, and if I'm going to be constantly using all three spells I bring with me to any given area, may as well make it official.

HnK416 posted:

Grinding for the evangelist hat is hell

I enjoy their pants quite a lot, for the look I'm going for right now. They also have surprisingly good stats for, well, a pair of pants. Not a whole lot of White Cloth stuff that isn't a robe.

Pretend you are trying to get blessed gems to drop, or a spiked mace if you don't have one. Then you will get plenty of hats.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I made a scrubtier invasion video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdHfFpBqOmA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what pyromancy lets you do massive damage for touching someone? just got killed while sunbroing by it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

what pyromancy lets you do massive damage for touching someone? just got killed while sunbroing by it

There's a glitch where you can catapult Sacred Flame's damage to insane levels. It's really really telegraphed and easy to dodge once you know it's instant death.

e: unless you mean just some form of Combustion or something

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jose posted:

Beaten, but yeah.

Normally it already has high damage, but the bug brings it's damage from "Nice, but is it worth the melee range effort?" to "Youtube clipshow"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jose posted:

Sacred flame. If you make contact with it after the windup, it forces the enemy struck with it into a riposte. It does a lot of damage, but there's also a glitch with it and the whie hair talisman; when you two-hand that talisman and use it to cast sacred flame, it uses the AR of whatever weapon you have equipped in your left hand. So you can get people with a huge weapon equipped that just fish for that sacred flame, and if they land it you are loving dead.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e59w1VSecg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ok thats definitely what happened considering 2 dragon tooth hits didn't poise break them

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, that disappointment at having the perfect trap lined up in the catacombs (across the gap from the two red eyed skeletons near the milk ring) and the host dies before they get there. Not like this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stance Art :swoon:

EDIT: Yeah I just noticed the total runtime. Even the most fabulous PvPer in the world isn't going to have people watch an entire hour in one click.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 8, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jesus dude, at least make a highlight reel or something. An hour?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think i'm going to have to give up on a heavy weapon against nameless king there just isn't enough time to attack between his attacks to recover properly

that and the insane camera issues of trying to bait and attack and actually see it loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Samael posted:

you're better off, I did Siegwards quest the first time I played through out of a sense of completion but he makes the Yhorm fight a loving joke. This probably isn't what you want to hear but I honestly wouldn't bother worrying about it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe you didn't exhaust all his dialogue options every time you spoke to him? You can never tell with this game