Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Paul Rudd was good, Black Panther was good, Spiderman was good. Similar to bubble gum this movie lost its flavor after chewing on it for 15 minutes.

Ya this is where I stand I think, it's funny that the bug boys get wheeled out for like two scenes and then vanish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HIJK posted:

Someone posted previously about the possibility that Marvel's micromanagement has driven away the real talent, which means they're stuck with what they've got. Not to drag the Russos, they're good at what they do, but that's probably why.

I mean, for God's sake. Edgar Wright was on their team and they still hosed that up.

So no, Brad Bird probably isn't jumping on with Marvel.

Everything I've read about Wright's version of the script sounds worse than what we got.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't know, Scott being more of a scoundrel sounds pretty interesting. Wright's version would be different, not necessarily worse.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
i just have a probably misplaced faith that the director of The World's End could have made a movie at least as good as The Mask, while adam mckay, peyton reed, and co. couldn't even hit the stride of that mid-tier pop standard.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

i just have a probably misplaced faith that the director of The World's End could have made a movie at least as good as The Mask, while adam mckay, peyton reed, and co. couldn't even hit the stride of that mid-tier pop standard.

u like The World's End? It's the least popular of that "trilogy" but I think it's my favorite

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hat Thoughts posted:

u like The World's End? It's the least popular of that "trilogy" but I think it's my favorite

All three of them are fantastic movies. World's End is the most serious as well it should be, as it's all about growing up- or not being able to as it were. It's got the absolute most going on beyond just being a funny movie.

Shaun is a great zombie movie that happens to be funny, and Hot Fuzz is a brilliant action movie that is unbelievably funny.

To me there is no best between them. You need them all to get the full effect. Hot Fuzz is the easiest one to watch.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

K. Waste posted:

And I have faith that Ant-Man and the Wasp could be a movie at least as good as Bring It On was. Like Iñárritu, I think many can argue that Mister Reed has not yet topped his debut. I would.

Marvel studios is a Cheer-ocracy of the finest kind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0YqZqU_z0Q

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hat Thoughts posted:

i really liked The World's End, probably about as much as Shaun of the Dead, since they're basically more of a kind than either is to Hot Fuzz. the latter most is, to me, his superior work, with Scott Pilgrim having diminishing returns.

the most important point we keep coming to with this, however, is that every single one of these movies is far and away not only funnier but also way more inventively shot than... Bring It On, reed's first and best film.

edit: beaten on Bring It On, but there it go

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

I didn't like it all that much on first watch but honestly it grew on me and is likely my favorite. Honestly both of these facts are due to Pegg's character, who at first I thought was obnoxious but then I realized that he was brilliantly full realized in his obnoxiousness. Everything one of his lines is golden.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus say what you want about Thor 1 but Kenneth Branagh is no joke. IIRC he said he had a lot of fun with Thor and was looking forward to returning to direct the sequel, but they didn't want to budge on the release date so we got what we got over a scheduling conflict and then them ditching their second choice halfway through filming. The Dark World is fun to see once but is basically a mess because of how they went in the direction with the villain where it would take some time to make us give a crap about anything with what he wants to do and then they basically cut almost every scene with him.

The MCU flicks having lovely villains is a given now but The Dark World was where that really set in for me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 9, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Neo Rasa posted:

The MCU flicks having lovely villains is a given now but The Dark World was where that really set in for me.

I agree mostly, but Zemo is great in Civil War. It sounds like they are going an interesting direction with Baron Mordo in Dr. Strange as well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
crosspost

Ularg posted:

For something less serious have some nerds getting apocalyptic over their medium:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4kQCd
the shadowy cabal of executives bent on ruining the innocent hearts of comic book nerds around the world is growing
If only they'd made Galactus a giant purple man the film would've been saved

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I agree mostly, but Zemo is great in Civil War. It sounds like they are going an interesting direction with Baron Mordo in Dr. Strange as well.

They've said Mordo is a good guy in this movie, or at least sitting on the fence between ally and enemy. Dormammu is apparently the villain.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Cythereal posted:

They've said Mordo is a good guy in this movie, or at least sitting on the fence between ally and enemy. Dormammu is apparently the villain.

That's what I mean, it looks like he will get some good development outside of just being the bad guy for a film.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Looks like new F4 came to HBO this weekend, I will probably watch it on demand sometime this week, see if it is quite as terrible as everyone says.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus say what you want about Thor 1 but Kenneth Branagh is no joke. IIRC he said he had a lot of fun with Thor and was looking forward to returning to direct the sequel, but they didn't want to budge on the release date so we got what we got over a scheduling conflict and then them ditching their second choice halfway through filming.

They didn't ditch the director halfway through filming; not even Marvel Studios is insane enough to pull some Superman II or Exorcist Dominion-level poo poo. Basically they wanted one of the Game of Thrones guys, lowballed him, then hired Patty Jenkins and she subsequently left because they wouldn't let her change the script ... so they went with another one of the Game of Thrones guys.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

The last rumor was that Mads is playing Dr. Druid, and Dormammu is mentioned but more likely being set up for a future film. Mordo is also Strange's ally for this film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

Looks like new F4 came to HBO this weekend, I will probably watch it on demand sometime this week, see if it is quite as terrible as everyone says.

It's half an actually interesting movie, and half a rushed piece of crap. Like, this isn't some weird baseless criticism where someone says "Ah, the second half was bad because". The film cuts to black and another, almost unrelated film begins. Which to me, makes it worthless. It's just pathetic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's half an actually interesting movie, and half a rushed piece of crap. Like, this isn't some weird baseless criticism where someone says "Ah, the second half was bad because". The film cuts to black and another, almost unrelated film begins. Which to me, makes it worthless. It's just pathetic.

Yeah I've heard that, it sounds like ridiculous levels of interference where they made them shoot an entirely new climax, so I don't have super high hopes. I was a huge fan of Chronicle so I want to see how interesting that first half is and if it could've been salvaged.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TheFallenEvincar posted:

crosspost

the shadowy cabal of executives bent on ruining the innocent hearts of comic book nerds around the world is growing
If only they'd made Galactus a giant purple man the film would've been saved

"Some call me...Tom?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I'd say it's more like an eighth to a quarter of an okay movie. Even the half that isn't completely terrible suffers from some lacklustre character development and shoddy visuals.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GonSmithe posted:

:siren: FOR THE NEXT 3 PAGES, THIS IS A BvS FREE ZONE. GO TO THE BvS THREAD IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT BvS :siren:

So I've been hearing a lot of positive about Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther and that makes me happy. I hope after losing Ava they realized they had to pick someone and let them do as close to what they want as they can. Coogler is an amazing director and I really hope he gets to have as little studio interference as possible. Black Panther action scenes directed by Ryan Coogler just sounds awesome.

The thing CW leftme with was:

Everything needs to be dropped for the black panther movie. That guy was awesome in every way. Same with vision. That fight where Hawkeye is trying to wack him with the sticks and he just lets the baton phase through him, then phases through Hawkeye to choke hold him was so god drat bananas and they didn't even focus on it. I want hours of it.

My pitch is a Black Panther/Hawkeye buddy cop movie. Panther doesn't want Hawkeye around but the UN insists on work release and BP can't say no since he signed the accord. Plus cat/bird you can do something with that. Quips.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

bring back old gbs posted:

Everything needs to be dropped for the black panther movie. That guy was awesome in every way. Same with vision. That fight where Hawkeye is trying to wack him with the sticks and he just lets the baton phase through him, then phases through Hawkeye to choke hold him was so god drat bananas and they didn't even focus on it. I want hours of it.

My pitch is a Black Panther/Hawkeye buddy cop movie. Panther doesn't want Hawkeye around but the UN insists on work release and BP can't say no since he signed the accord. Plus cat/bird you can do something with that. Quips.

I'm not sure the accords would even apply to T'Challa. For one, it seemed like it applied only to the Avengers. Even if it was targeted at the wider "enhanced " community, I doubt the UN would draft legislation that could compel a head of state to do something against his will.

E: nevermind, misread your post!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm so bored of Iron Man and Captain America but I loved all the side characters. Paul Rudd just kills it as usual and I cannot wait for his sequel.

I was so torn on the new Spidey -- I loved Garfield and he got stuck with a terrible sequel. But this new guy is pretty good and seems that he'll catapult up to be great if his solo movie is entertaining.

But yah - please no more IM or Cap for a couple years.

E: oh yah, saw it tonight :3: Mostly s good movie, amazing jokes but the action seemed a bit of a mess and wobbly - it was easy to follow but it was just giant blurs a lot of the time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

I liked Vision so much more in this one, probably because he didn't stall the movie out to vaporize Ultron with a really awkward monologue

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 9, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought CW did a really good job of showing just how loving strong and fast Cap, Bucky, Spider-Man, and Black Panther are; I was surprised that T'Challa was as strong as he was without the Panther suit. Black Panther needs to come out because that movie will be really good

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm not sure the accords would even apply to T'Challa. For one, it seemed like it applied only to the Avengers. Even if it was targeted at the wider "enhanced " community, I doubt the UN would draft legislation that could compel a head of state to do something against his will.

E: nevermind, misread your post!

Haha yeah I guess the premise would have to be:
"Nobody is saying you have to let him into your country. We're saying you two are absolutely a team for this single mission because of both of your unique abilities. Oh also the guy we need you to catch is in your country."

Carlosologist posted:

I thought CW did a really good job of showing just how loving strong and fast Cap, Bucky, Spider-Man, and Black Panther are; I was surprised that T'Challa was as strong as he was without the Panther suit. Black Panther needs to come out because that movie will be really good

They released that one clip of T'Challa fighting Winter Soldier in the lobby as a promo so I assumed they cut around the part where they are fighting on ground level WS runs up a staircase and T'challa is jumping down at him from a higher floor like he got up that high in zero time. Then in the movie it actually goes down like that, just lizard scaled the wall or something. He was handled really really well, guy was just a beast(lol).

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 9, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
MCU Cap is far more powerful than comic Cap, who is just a peak human.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a reason Marvel isn't doing everything in their power to get Brad Bird to direct a Marvel movie?

Tomorrowland's box-office returns.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I've heard that, it sounds like ridiculous levels of interference where they made them shoot an entirely new climax, so I don't have super high hopes. I was a huge fan of Chronicle so I want to see how interesting that first half is and if it could've been salvaged.

The scene from the climax where Doom casually walked through the base vaporizing terrified soldiers was really effective. Unfortunately it's only like 30 seconds long.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GonSmithe posted:

:siren: FOR THE NEXT 3 PAGES, THIS IS A BvS FREE ZONE. GO TO THE BvS THREAD IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT BvS :siren:

So I've been hearing a lot of positive about Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther and that makes me happy. I hope after losing Ava they realized they had to pick someone and let them do as close to what they want as they can. Coogler is an amazing director and I really hope he gets to have as little studio interference as possible. Black Panther action scenes directed by Ryan Coogler just sounds awesome.

I'm really interested in what they have planned for the plot. I don't know that much about Black Panther, but the few stories I know involving Wakanda could be interesting. Hell, I think at one point Thanos came down and wrecked up the country looking for infinity gems, which is what leads into the new series by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Also I kind of want Steve Rogers be be appointed UN Ambassador from Wakanda just for fun.

Carlosologist posted:

The suit doesn't give him any powers. It's just laced with vibranium for protection. He gets his powers, depending on what they are when written because it tends to be fairly nebulous, from the Panther God who protects Wakanda. Alternatively he gets his powers from an herb that grows only in Wakanda and only his family can survive taking.

Given Civil War it seems pretty clear that they're not going with the no super powers just a super smart dude at peak physical condition version.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I'm so bored of Iron Man and Captain America but I loved all the side characters. Paul Rudd just kills it as usual and I cannot wait for his sequel.

I was so torn on the new Spidey -- I loved Garfield and he got stuck with a terrible sequel. But this new guy is pretty good and seems that he'll catapult up to be great if his solo movie is entertaining.

But yah - please no more IM or Cap for a couple years.

E: oh yah, saw it tonight :3: Mostly s good movie, amazing jokes but the action seemed a bit of a mess and wobbly - it was easy to follow but it was just giant blurs a lot of the time.

RDJ is gonna be in Spider-Man but probably just as Tony. But yeah, the next four movies are Strange, Guardians 2, Spider-Man, then Thor and Hulk Roadtrip so very little Cap and Iron Man until 2018 with Black Panther and Avengers.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Gyges posted:

The suit doesn't give him any powers. It's just laced with vibranium for protection. He gets his powers, depending on what they are when written because it tends to be fairly nebulous, from the Panther God who protects Wakanda. Alternatively he gets his powers from an herb that grows only in Wakanda and only his family can survive taking.

Given Civil War it seems pretty clear that they're not going with the no super powers just a super smart dude at peak physical condition version.

oh okay, I'm not familiar with the Black Panther history so I didn't know that T'Challa was just like that in most adaptations. I'm interested to see how the plot line for Black Panther will develop. I think its certainly possible for Bucky to feature in the film, given he's all set up to get a new vibranium arm and is assumed to be recovering from 70 years of Hydra

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Censored.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 9, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Half is being generous, but yeah, the first half of the movie has some interesting moments, and the scene where their powers are revealed belongs in a much, much better movie, but there's a distinct cut, and after that, half of the scenes have Kate Mara in a very obvious wig, and those scenes are complete and total garbage, and the climax is quite possibly one of the most visually uninteresting things put to film, and it's set in Basically Absolutely Nothng.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Thematically, getting your powers from a special herb or a diety can easily be one and the same.

Okay I'm going to skip the elaboration and cut to the :420: :catdrugs:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Harime Nui posted:

And of course, "some motherfucker's always trying to ice-skate uphill." I have no idea how much of that is Goyer
That one is definitely not Goyer

Oh, you sad, doubting motherfuckers. Go to your Wesley shrine right now and pull out the Blade DVD. Turn on the commentary track and skip ahead to the climactic battle in the subterranean vampire city between Snipes and the evil mayor of vampires, Deacon Frost. There, in the commentary track, you will hear David Goyer state that the line, "Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill" came from Snipes himself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'm sure most of the cool poo poo from Blade is just impromptu Wesley. Like that line and that time he wouldn't open his eyes

Too bad he looks kinda rough now after all those years and legal issues, would've loved a Nick Cage/Snipes team up Marvel feature. Bring back Neveldine/Taylor and you're gold

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah I'm sure most of the cool poo poo from Blade is just impromptu Wesley. Like that line and that time he wouldn't open his eyes

Too bad he looks kinda rough now after all those years and legal issues, would've loved a Nick Cage/Snipes team up Marvel feature. Bring back Neveldine/Taylor and you're gold

Oh man, now I'm sad we do not live in that timeline.

Blade & Ghost Rider: Hellbound

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If Marvel has the film rights to Blade, I might actually ejaculate in the theater if Snipes as Blade shows up in Infinity War 1/2 The Next Great Movies in the Avengers Franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carlosologist posted:

oh okay, I'm not familiar with the Black Panther history so I didn't know that T'Challa was just like that in most adaptations. I'm interested to see how the plot line for Black Panther will develop. I think its certainly possible for Bucky to feature in the film, given he's all set up to get a new vibranium arm and is assumed to be recovering from 70 years of Hydra

I'd imagine Cap and friends will show up at least in a cameo since they're hiding out in Wakanda, but the Marvel movies have oddly enough introduced one of Panther's signature villains already so he'll likely make a return appearance.

As for Tony, I'm warming to the idea of him trying to hang up his suit again and becoming Peter Parker's mentor figure, probably in the vein of Tony seeing a young version of himself who can be taught to avoid the fuckups and mistakes Tony himself has made - I don't think it would be at all out of character for MCU Tony at this point to give the "great power, great responsibility" speech.

• Locked thread