Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

So are Watchdogs of Farron like the Bellkeepers where you basically have to be in the zone in order to get summoned? Anyone got tips for things to do while waiting around for this poo poo?

Also, are there any rings that increase poise reduction (as in poise damage that you deal to others), or is it really not necessary? My favorite DS2 build was dual-caestus with the poise-reducing ring; caestus already dealt pretty heavy poise damage, combined with the poise damage bonus and two fast strikes basically no one could avoid getting staggered without a full Havel's set

You can technically get summoned from anywhere you can also invade but people in Crucifixion Wood and Farron Keep seem to get priority, so summon frequency drops a lot if you leave those areas.
Poise doesn't exist, so the poise rings do nothing for you. People in PvP use weapons/moves with hyperarmor and no amount of poise damage will break that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Should I feel bad for summoning phantoms for Pontiff Sulyvahn?

Like, I got to the guy and immediately thought, "great, it's Fume Knight all over again" and then saw he summoned a copy of himself, died, rolled my eyes, figured I just didn't want to deal with that bullshit again, and summoned a couple phantoms to stomp him in five seconds.

Now I hear talk about how he's one of the most well-liked bosses so I probably just had a bad first impression.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did you feel bad for summoning a phantom for S+O in DS1? I feel like it's kind of like that, basically. Either you don't mind multi-boss encounters or you do

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazed posted:

Like, I got to the guy and immediately thought, "great, it's Fume Knight all over again" and then saw he summoned a copy of himself, died, rolled my eyes, figured I just didn't want to deal with that bullshit again, and summoned a couple phantoms to stomp him in five seconds.

Now I hear talk about how he's one of the most well-liked bosses so I probably just had a bad first impression.

Only feel bad for summoning if you want the real challenge from a boss. Its not like you can't fight him solo on another character though.

Pointiff isn't as hard as he appears. His second phase is actually easier than the first, and the first phase becomes a lot easier once you learn to rotate around him clockwise to avoid most of his sword swipes.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Honestly it's a lot easier to fight him with the clone than without. He's uses a much simpler move-set, dropping the brutal 6-hit combo entirely, there's a much bigger delay between attacks and the close isn't free to run around and attack like an O+S-style fight, it's directly tied to Sulyvahn and telegraphs his moves.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Nameless King is just like an easier Maria of the Astral Clocktower. His first phase is just stupid because there's about a 90% chance I'm going to eat some flame breaths with no chance to escape, though.

he's way harder than maria because you can a) parry every single attack that maria can do, and b) stunlock her with r1 spam from literally every weapon

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Did you feel bad for summoning a phantom for S+O in DS1? I feel like it's kind of like that, basically. Either you don't mind multi-boss encounters or you do

At the time I was feeling like this game was tending a little too heavy on adds in boss fights, after fighting in order: Crystal Sage, Deacons, Abyss Watchers, and Wolnir, which was coloring my decision-making process quite a bit.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he's here..... dragon emperor..

thank you dragon emperor...thank you for letting us bathe in your aura of infinite compassion...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pontiff's phantom isn't really like an additional enemy, its more an extension of his own moves. The phantom and Pontiff always do the same attack in close succession of each other, which makes dodging them pretty simple. He loses his long combos in the second phase as well, so those attacks are much easier to avoid in the first place. Most importantly, the phantom is pretty fragile and any time it dies the Pontiff has to stand still for like 6 seconds summoning another, giving you plenty of time to beat the crap out of him. Bosses with multiple opponents pretty much never give you that kind of breathing room.

EDIT: Judging by bloodstains, more people die to the solitary snake man after Oceiros than Oceiros himself.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 9, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

On my first playthrough I would always put my sign down in front of bosses just to test the waters. Pontiff really scared the gently caress out of me because the phantom gimmick isn't apparently obvious when you do it co-op, because even though they're doing the same moves they can pick different targets. I really thought they were doing like a fast super-aggressive version of the Darklurker fight. I put my sign down maybe 10 times and only one of those was a victory. Then I tried it solo and immediately understood the gimmick and beat it first try. Cool boss.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's way harder than maria because you can a) parry every single attack that maria can do, and b) stunlock her with r1 spam from literally every weapon

On the other hand, you can chump nameless king by holding a greatshield. I loved the NK fight so much when I first did it two-handing yhorm's great machete because I had to be completely focused dodge all his poo poo and pick my spots to attack, then I did it again with a greatshield and a faster weapon was really disappointed in how easy it was to just circle-strafe him with the shield up and punish him.

I'd probably still rate him harder than Maria, but not by much.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

QuarkJets posted:

They kicked my rear end so hard I gave up when I first played, I eventually went back and summoned for them. The most recent time I played though I absolutely trounced them and it was because I just focused on walking and rolling boringly backwards over and over again until the most opportune time and then throwing out a single (zweihander) swing.

You get hit when you enter the room and are on the backfoot until you get destroyed or you roll away over and over and over again waiting for only the safest time to strike Ornstein. You should have 20 flasks going into the fight if you are having trouble so there is a lot of room for error if you have HP, armor, a decent weapon, and plenty of patience.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 9, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mazed posted:

You cheated yourself out of a pretty awesome experience, I think. Sulyvahn isn't as much fun overall as Champion Gundyr or the Dragonslayer Armor but for me he probably had the most distinct "aha!" moment where I went from getting chumped on as soon as I walked into the room to very nearly beating him within the space of a single attempt.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Any time I use a summon for a boss, I try to absolve myself by successfully helping another player x times the amount of tries it took me, summons or no.

Of course when I got to Aldrich I was feeling totally overwhelmed so just went ahead and sunbro'd him a bunch of times but the hosts continually died because apparently box-stepping to outdance a languid drizzle of arrows is hard. By that time I got good enough at it to successfully off the guy solo. :smug:

Anyway, next time, Sulyvahn's gettin' an honorable duel.

Or I'll do some ridiculous buff stacking like in that one video and one-shot him with a parry. One or the other.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A cool strat for Pontiff is stand there like an idiot and get hit by the phantom every time. The phantom does a much smaller amount of damage compared to the main attack and the invulnerability from being knocked down will prevent the actually threatening attack from hitting you.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've heard a lot of people say different things about dodging Aldritch's arrows and none of them are what I do. What works the best for me is to run as far away from as possible when he starts it up, roll through it when it reaches me, then sprint towards him in a straight line. Gotta be mindful of when he starts doing soul spear though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

argondamn posted:

I've heard a lot of people say different things about dodging Aldritch's arrows and none of them are what I do. What works the best for me is to run as far away from as possible when he starts it up, roll through it when it reaches me, then sprint towards him in a straight line. Gotta be mindful of when he starts doing soul spear though.

"press the run button"

People talked it up so much, I expected them to be a lot worse than they actually were. The duration is really long (and seems to be variable?) so I guess they might get you if you never invested in Endurance, but in terms of how hard it was to evade, the Crystal Sage's stuff has it beat.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 9, 2016

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I made a pyromancer but I'm really unsatisfied with having like three total pyromancies that I would ever use for any reason, all of which are boringly generic.

Should I respec to sorcerer? I know, it sucks for spell damage, but I mainly used it for cheapass mind tricks that somehow worked on most people in the previous games and at least I could get some actual damage on my weapons from int scaling.

I could just go back to pure melee which seems to be the best in this game but eh, that's boring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sorcery is just as bad for spell variety. You'll end up using soul arrow and soul greatsword variants, and that's about it. Later on you can pick up homing crystal soulmass and soul stream, but for most of the game the rest of your spells will be worthless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the int infusions aren't very good in my experience and sorceries are worse than pyromancies

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What level do you guys who get regular bluecop invasions play at? I get about 1 a day regardless and 90% of the time it's over before I can swoop in and get an ear.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've done probably over 100 runs on a pair of skeletons looking for the carthus curved great sword while using the Crystal rapier, rusted coin, and symbol of avarice. Found everything but the great sword, including 20+ non-great swords Aaaaaaa

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Tetracube posted:

I made a pyromancer but I'm really unsatisfied with having like three total pyromancies that I would ever use for any reason, all of which are boringly generic.

Should I respec to sorcerer? I know, it sucks for spell damage, but I mainly used it for cheapass mind tricks that somehow worked on most people in the previous games and at least I could get some actual damage on my weapons from int scaling.

I could just go back to pure melee which seems to be the best in this game but eh, that's boring.

There's a LOT of boring rear end spells in this game, which is a real bummster. There's at least the HYPER BEAM in sorcery, though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the strongest full caster class for PvP if I want to make life easier on myself? (barring the fact that spell casting is inherently worse then sword and board)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

So what's the verdict on this game? In terms of mechanics and gameplay variety is DS3 a closer sequel to Dark Souls, or a sequel to Dark Souls II?

I have about 1000h between DS1&2, but DS2 soured me just enough that I decided to hold off on buying this one. Was there any form of acknowledgment that the way they released SotFS was very poorly handled? I need to at least know they wont be pulling that bullshit again.

It's night and day from 2, which is awesome for you and me but has lots of people realizing 2 was secretly the best game in the series despite ragging on it throughout its launch period. Dark Souls is all about cycles. We'll figure out the awesome, revolutionary things 3 did when Bamco squeezes out 4.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

What is the strongest full caster class for PvP if I want to make life easier on myself? (barring the fact that spell casting is inherently worse then sword and board)

Pyromancy. Chaos Bed Vestiges and Great Chaos Fire Orb are both powerful and FP efficient, and can be free-aimed which is how you'll actually hit people. Chaos is especially good due to the lava pool it leaves behind. Great Combustion can be used on people who get up in your face. Fire Surge is great for cheesing (just tap it to do a tick of damage with no risk to yourself since you can immediately roll if they try and counterattack). Sacred Flame is always a solid choice, and you can reliably nab people out of panic rolls with a max speed one. Fire Whip is good for catching people with its weird hitboxes as usual.

Faith is a somewhat close second just because of how powerful sunlight spear/wog are, but much more boring since those are the only especially viable spells.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there won't be a dark souls 4

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

patches is NOT a dick.

Yeah, Patches gives you a sporting chance even if you don't just immediately homeward bone out of your problems.

Even if he didn't open up an item shop soon after in these games, that's still far and away more classy than just wordlessly trying to kill you or die trying like everything else.
I am starting to become worried about what will happen when he hits 99/600

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mazed posted:

Any time I use a summon for a boss, I try to absolve myself by successfully helping another player x times the amount of tries it took me, summons or no.

Of course when I got to Aldrich I was feeling totally overwhelmed so just went ahead and sunbro'd him a bunch of times but the hosts continually died because apparently box-stepping to outdance a languid drizzle of arrows is hard. By that time I got good enough at it to successfully off the guy solo. :smug:

Anyway, next time, Sulyvahn's gettin' an honorable duel.

Or I'll do some ridiculous buff stacking like in that one video and one-shot him with a parry. One or the other.

My MO for bosses is to solo everyone on my first playthrough, ideally without a shield (Pontiff's the only one I had to break it out for). This results in tons of frustration and some days where I just didn't feel like playing but when I'm done it's my license to summon however much I want for any boss I want because I already know I can do it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
So is there a good list of what enemies are actually weak to, because for most of the game it feels like if I use Magic weapon I just do another x physical damage worth of damage on top of it. I feel if I knew what was weak to fire, what was weak to dark, and what is weak to magic, I'd have a better idea of how to use them. The game give me 0 information on what's effective though except a few tells for fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have enough carthus weapons to field a small army but still haven't gotten a single sharp gem from these assholes :mad:

EDIT: So if a weapon is listed as doing slash/thrust damage, does it benefit from the leo ring or not?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 9, 2016

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: So if a weapon is listed as doing slash/thrust damage, does it benefit from the leo ring or not?

Only the stabby attacks.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Is it worth making a hollow weapon if it doesn't have bleed?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Is it worth making a hollow weapon if it doesn't have bleed?

If you're on a Luck build and want to use it then yes. Less effective then a str/dex/quality build with the appropriate infusion but solid enough.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
So I'm familiar with the Sacred Flame bug - but I figured using Sacred Flame legitimately (one handing the pyro flame in the left hand) wouldn't cause the bug to proc. I just did 1800 damage on someone with sacred flame and I kind of feel like crap. Do right hand weapon buffs or counter damage effect sacred flame? I've found this is the best weapon versus greatshield users but I don't want to feel scummy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ProfessorBooty posted:

So I'm familiar with the Sacred Flame bug - but I figured using Sacred Flame legitimately (one handing the pyro flame in the left hand) wouldn't cause the bug to proc. I just did 1800 damage on someone with sacred flame and I kind of feel like crap. Do right hand weapon buffs or counter damage effect sacred flame? I've found this is the best weapon versus greatshield users but I don't want to feel scummy.

The wiki mentioned "There seems to be counter damage, we don't know if that's intentional" before the even more overblown bug stuff started showing up. It even mentions 1,800 damage with it's example.

quote:

Either a bug or intentional The spell appears to deal Counter damage as when you succesfully perform the grab after taking a hit the damage goes from 40 damage a sec then 1000 damage explosian to 400 a sec then finally exploding for a total of 1800 tested at 42/42 faith int respectively

So, maybe to probably.

EDIT: Though that example if true, doesn't mention counter boosting items either.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 9, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My favorite part about the NK fight is actually the cinematic between Phase 1 and 2.

I'll basically spoiler this whole thing just in case someone doesn't want to see it.

Storm Curved Sword states "The Nameless King, ally of the ancient dragons, fought beside the Stormdrake in countless battles. When the great beast fell, the king claimed his soul, as was the custom in the age of gods". When you take down the Storm King, you can see NK raise his swordspear and falter for just a moment before he claims the soul. He had sacrificed everything, betrayed his father and his people, and had his name stricken from the annals of history, to side with the dragons. He had fought beside the King of the Storm for thousands of years, and yet now he has to turn around and finish him off himself.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I had a weird thought about something I want to see in the DLC. Random mimics. Just make every chest have a random percent chance of being a mimic. Sometimes you open it and get your item, sometimes you open it and get a mimic. Oh no!

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Nameless King is just like an easier Maria of the Astral Clocktower. His first phase is just stupid because there's about a 90% chance I'm going to eat some flame breaths with no chance to escape, though.

Don't stand under the Storm King. Stay in front and run in when you have a chance to hit the head, then run out. Add long as you don't stand beneath it to attack the legs he won't do the flame attack.

It's less reliable if you have phantoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Coiled sword fragment doesn't stack? Laaaame