Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Paladinus posted:

Just going to post this classic again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWY-59yGH6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Testekill posted:

The funny thing is that early Steampunk actually played into how hosed it would have been if the world had been stuck in the industrial revolution with all the dangerous poo poo and attitudes that existed back there that never changed. But nerds ruin everything

Which was the point of, you know, the whole 'punk' half of the equation. Like with Cyberpunk, the idea was to showcase that whatever era you live in, no matter how advanced or romanticized the technology, life is still messy, people are still assholes, and the underclass still gets to eat poo poo. But who cares about all that depressing garbage, let's just fetishize the aesthetic and call it square!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

twistedmentat posted:

You know, if he'd just asked "would you like to play chess?" he may have had some luck. He had to add all that other crap to it and was probably asking the wrong women. I notice that weird awkward nerds always fixate on, for lack of a better term, conventionally hot women. There are lots of weird girls out there that may not look like a supermodel, but are a lot more approachable. What am I saying though? These are the kinds of guys who say "0/10 wouldn't bang" to Scarlet Johannson and Jennifer Lawrence.

When I changed my look from quirky weirdo to something more basic-bitch I got hit on by nerds the worst. I remember one particular guy who tried very hard for a month, showing up at the same coffee shop I frequented. He accused me of watching the Kardashians (I don't watch anything) and tempted me with an offer to watch him play Final Fantasy instead, which was way deeper than anything I could possibly be into, he claimed. A couple of times I caught him sitting at a table with this cute, but fat chick (he was also fat). The both of them had drawing tablets and were drawing nerd poo poo. She seemed to enjoy his company. He'd drop her like a brick once he noticed me come in and bother me. What an rear end in a top hat.

It may come at no surprise that he complained about women having shallow standards for who they date.

Anyway, when guys like this engaged me in conversation, I always wondered, why would they even think this would work? I mean, even in the off-chance that I didn't have a problem with the fitness inequity, like, we are not going to get along. I'm not going to join in the nerd poo poo they like, and I'm not going to be a very good conversation partner either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bast Relief posted:

When I changed my look from quirky weirdo to something more basic-bitch I got hit on by nerds the worst. I remember one particular guy who tried very hard for a month, showing up at the same coffee shop I frequented. He accused me of watching the Kardashians (I don't watch anything) and tempted me with an offer to watch him play Final Fantasy instead, which was way deeper than anything I could possibly be into, he claimed. A couple of times I caught him sitting at a table with this cute, but fat chick (he was also fat). The both of them had drawing tablets and were drawing nerd poo poo. She seemed to enjoy his company. He'd drop her like a brick once he noticed me come in and bother me. What an rear end in a top hat.

It may come at no surprise that he complained about women having shallow standards for who they date.

Anyway, when guys like this engaged me in conversation, I always wondered, why would they even think this would work? I mean, even in the off-chance that I didn't have a problem with the fitness inequity, like, we are not going to get along. I'm not going to join in the nerd poo poo they like, and I'm not going to be a very good conversation partner either.

Probably because they're the protagonist of their own story or some poo poo and if only some nice guy would talk to a woman and introduce them to such incredible pieces of entertainment they've never heard of like 'Star Wars' or 'Final Fantasy' or maybe 'a video game' then they'd find them so irresistible that they'd fall in love immediately and have a maidwife who cooks all their food for them.

^Said in a less stupid way: probably something like that stereotype that every woman is looking for a guy who doesn't have his poo poo together so they can fix him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Whose got the time to fix anyone these days? Have you seen what rent is like lately?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Whose got the time to fix anyone these days? Have you seen what rent is like lately?

Taking your dog to the vet can run you tens of thousands of dollars and you want to fix a human up?!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Paladinus posted:

90% aug
10% hustler cover model

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bast Relief posted:

...and tempted me with an offer to watch him play Final Fantasy instead...

Whenever I read something like this, I always just so embarrassed to be a man.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

twistedmentat posted:

So in a FB group, someone talked about how there was some kind of Steampunk thing in the park, and one of them creepily told his friend that she'd look really hot in a corset. That started a discussion about how Steampunk is probably as AUG as Furries or Bronies, even then at least they aren't romanticizing a period in history with massive social injustice and an acceptance of genocide and colonialism around the world. Nope, its an excuse to wear top hats, googles and have silly facial hair.

You know, I bet you could put some good industrial sort of stuff with the sounds of machinery and presses and such. I mean, I know none of those groups can, but.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

I'm curious to know how Finntroll ended up in your list of Steampunk bands.

And although I hate to admit it, there is actually one Steampunk band that I enjoy. They're called The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing and absolutely look as AUG as expected, but they make some pretty good songs (picture = link).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I tried to watch this.

Now I can't see.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Butt Ox posted:

I don't know if this counts as a steampunk band but he sure is an insufferable shitbag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t28COxEp2k

Yes, gently caress this twattery.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ularg posted:

It should either be Country or Rap. There's no other way I can imagine it working.

There needs to be a SteamCrunk genre.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BjornOfBorg posted:

there is actually one Steampunk band that I enjoy. They're called The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing

Is that a Jack the Riper reference?

Because I could see these guys murdering prostitutes.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

What is it about Gangnam Style that makes people with no concept of tone or rhythm say, "Yes! I will parody this song, and make it be about things I care about!"

It will always be awkward.
https://youtu.be/lTin-eTnkOM

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

You know, if he'd just asked "would you like to play chess?" he may have had some luck. He had to add all that other crap to it and was probably asking the wrong women. I notice that weird awkward nerds always fixate on, for lack of a better term, conventionally hot women. There are lots of weird girls out there that may not look like a supermodel, but are a lot more approachable. What am I saying though? These are the kinds of guys who say "0/10 wouldn't bang" to Scarlet Johannson and Jennifer Lawrence.

Oh I should probably post the picture that started it

the lady in the background is the one who was told about wearing a corset. She has a "Oh please god take me anywhere but here".

Dorkus Malorkus in the pheasant hat looks like the sour women in an anti-prohibition illustration, but she's at least dressed better than her salmon companion

Also I don't think propositioning women to play chess in a bar would ever work

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-pd8WBvd3Q

After a long hard day of wrangling cattle with your helicopter... you just wanna vape.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whenever I read something like this, I always just so embarrassed to be a man.

In college I had a roommate who had only one relationship during the time that I knew him. It lasted about a month or two and whenever she would come over, she would just watch him play a Star Wars MMO.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bast Relief posted:

Which final fantasy cuz I mean he might have a point you know depending.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

oldpainless posted:

Which final fantasy cuz I mean he might have a point you know depending.

It's final fantasy 8. The man's just searching for his Rinoa.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The politic of "unequivocal acceptance" thats so deeply ingrained in the subgroups of internet culture, was once a policy to allow outcasts to unite against their loneliness; now, after a decade of coddling and the lack of any real challenge, that narrative has been perverted by the minds of its practitioners as a moral imperative that the rest of the world somehow owes to them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BjornOfBorg posted:

I'm curious to know how Finntroll ended up in your list of Steampunk bands.

And although I hate to admit it, there is actually one Steampunk band that I enjoy. They're called The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing and absolutely look as AUG as expected, but they make some pretty good songs (picture = link).

I'll blame the for looking like a bunch of clown rear end buttholes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Saw a lot of Japanese tourists on the Missouri and Arizona.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ularg posted:

It should either be Country or Rap. There's no other way I can imagine it working.

Why not both?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnSbBuf9f4
Edit: this video is not a joke, people from where I grew up actually think this way and listen to this music unironically.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

i’m not against vaping, but man, vaping two inches from my face on the subway is a ridiculous rear end in a top hat kind of move. this dude was billowing like he was auditioning for the role of haunted house fog machine. the humidity in the whole car changed, he was ruining haircuts. just jump starting the water cycle. condensation was dripping down my glasses, people were slipping off poles, it was chaos. it was like watching one man try to terraform the moon. a planet with one dense, root beer scented atmosphere blocking out the sun and choking all life.

I know exactly which Tumblr post you copied and pasted this from. Original jokes, man. Come on.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Why not both?
Edit: this video is not a joke, people from where I grew up actually think this way and listen to this music unironically.

Sooooo, it's just like Bubba Sparkxxx?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I seriously feel sorry for people who vape as a utility to quit smoking. The 'community' has brought it right up to the level of fedoras and Tapout clothing.
I'd like to see some data on how well it helps people quit smoking too, because the only people I've known who've tried it have gone from smoking a few cigarettes a day to vaping for hours every day and being tied to it like a security blanket.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Why not both?

I don't see an issue with a single word of these lyrics but the video is bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Country Rap is a thing and it's called Hick Hop.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Scarf posted:

After a long hard day of wrangling cattle with your helicopter... you just wanna vape.

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo. Pro click, wait for the awkward end.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If someone doesn't like Townes Van Zandt they are trash.

e: 'Waitin Round to Die' is sensational and if you don't agree get out of my face.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scarf posted:

Outstanding. What a weird loving ad.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

cash crab posted:

Outstanding. What a weird loving ad.

Not even the swells of M83 can make it seem interesting.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Country Rap is a thing and it's called Hick Hop.

Oh poo poo, you just reminded me of something I saw in real life.

I saw this guy's "tour bus". There is a reason I put it in quotes.

Mikel Knight. The reason I even looked it up was the name of this loving song. Go ahead and listen and come back once you've scratched your ears out.

See, apparently this guy is known for hiring young people to promote his tours and sell poo poo... and not touring. These young people have to hit quotas, and if they don't they're just ditched no matter how far they are from home. Two of them died. Many have been arrested.

And I saw his tour bus in a lovely gas station in Beauregard, Alabama.

EDIT: I found more on this lovely human here. But this is the most important bit.

His previous name?

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 18:23 on May 9, 2016

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh poo poo, you just reminded me of something I saw in real life.

I saw this guy's "tour bus". There is a reason I put it in quotes.

Mikel Knight. The reason I even looked it up was the name of this loving song. Go ahead and listen and come back once you've scratched your ears out.

See, apparently this guy is known for hiring young people to promote his tours and sell poo poo... and not touring. These young people have to hit quotas, and if they don't they're just ditched no matter how far they are from home. Two of them died. Many have been arrested.

And I saw his tour bus in a lovely gas station in Beauregard, Alabama.

EDIT: I found more on this lovely human here. But this is the most important bit.

His previous name?

So he's using the magazine subscription scam business model to promote his music career?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

LingcodKilla posted:

90% aug
10% hustler cover model

Oh my god, she sells 'steampunk' sex toys.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/kYoHhOV.jpg :nws:

Nothing turns me on like the smell of coal and a blast of hot steam to the junk!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Butt Ox posted:

Nothing turns me on like the smell of coal and a blast of hot steam to the junk!

Stephenson's Rocket

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I know exactly which Tumblr post you copied and pasted this from. Original jokes, man. Come on.

Either I take funny jokes from actually funny people on the internet or I make my own and you're like 'Oh gently caress, this was a huge mistake, I miss FAROOQ now.'

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Butt Ox posted:

Oh my god, she sells 'steampunk' sex toys.

While awful toys her T&A game is stronger but just barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Either I take funny jokes from actually funny people on the internet or I make my own and you're like 'Oh gently caress, this was a huge mistake, I miss FAROOQ now.'

Copy and pasting a whole paragraph is a little different to repeating a quip. The bad news is you have crippling autism the good news is you've been saved an expensive doctor's trip.

e: Actually with the severity of your condition I guess both of those are just news

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 22:58 on May 9, 2016

• Locked thread