Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Songbearer posted:

None of my characters are optimised for PVP and I tend to lose most straight-up fights but I enjoy getting hit with invasions because I like to give it a drat good try and it's a fun test to see how well I can do (Or how quickly I can die). I don't invade myself at all except for doing red sign Pontiff duels.

That said I feel sorry for all the invaders who regularly have to go up against ganksquads with hosts that run away because I am downright accommodating to my red visitors. I won't estus until they do, I don't ever summon people, I'm always out in the open and ready to fight and if they want to use a gimmick build I'll fight them with one of my own. I'm like the all-inclusive holiday of PVP, but gently caress you if you run over to enemies and expect me to follow you. Respect my hospitality and fight, coward :colbert:

I'm kind of the opposite. If someone invades I'll use every dirty trick to murder their face, because they are dirty invaders. Well, except the gank squad, since I only ever summon up phantoms for bosses. That said, I've been mostly doing the hiding-in-plain-sight thing a lot recently and it's loving hilarious.

It's also hilarious to see people over-relying on parries, because then I can teach them that 2-handed Zweihander attacks can't be parried :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, ha. I don't think having to complete NG++ is that bad - most of us will be doing that if we're trophy hunting anyway - but tying master of miracles and master of pyromancy behind covenant turn-ins is frustrating as all hell. It feels like enforced grinding rather than a fairly organic part of gameplay.

I don't think you should have to go into ng+, let alone ng++, to get everything. like alt endings are one thing, but this is lame. on the plus side, you can use the leave command in the menus to drop stuff for other players during coop so it should be possible to bypass that stuff if you can find someone willing to go through that hassle for you (assuming you can drop the rings - you definitely can't drop storm ruler because I tried, but normal stuff seems to be fair game). you could do this with the weapon trophies in demon's souls as well

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Assuming I can recover my body is there any penalty to dying over and over again? What if I die again before I'm able to recover my first body. Does all that stuff just disappear?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Assuming I can recover my body is there any penalty to dying over and over again? What if I die again before I'm able to recover my first body. Does all that stuff just disappear?

no penalty, correct.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

if you die before you recover bloodstain, you lose your souls. its not really a big deal

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

No penalty for dying, but yes if you die with a bloodstain on the ground then you will overwrite it with a new one and those old souls are gone.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

putting down a red sign as a sunlight warrior in the middle of dungeons is so good

lotta people summoning me for 'help' in irithyll dungeon

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

:toot: 1.06 finally released on pc but I forget what it changes

oh nm I googled it

The range of the matching level of the Blade of the Darkmoon and the Blue Sentinels have been adjusted.
The efficiency of the following categories has been adjusted: Short Sword, Twinsword and Magic.
Other game balance improvement and bug fixes.

Oh my god yes, the Dagger buffs.

The I-frames on Quickstep are obscene and now I can't wait to do actual damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yeah daggers seem to have gotten a decent AR buff

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Songbearer posted:

None of my characters are optimised for PVP and I tend to lose most straight-up fights but I enjoy getting hit with invasions because I like to give it a drat good try and it's a fun test to see how well I can do (Or how quickly I can die). I don't invade myself at all except for doing red sign Pontiff duels.

That said I feel sorry for all the invaders who regularly have to go up against ganksquads with hosts that run away because I am downright accommodating to my red visitors. I won't estus until they do, I don't ever summon people, I'm always out in the open and ready to fight and if they want to use a gimmick build I'll fight them with one of my own. I'm like the all-inclusive holiday of PVP, but gently caress you if you run over to enemies and expect me to follow you. Respect my hospitality and fight, coward :colbert:

I am 100% like you here (with the exception of the Estus. I heal every time because this is my world, dammit). I have never summoned help to deal with an invader and generally have a good fight with them. Recently, however, I've been trying my hand at invading, and most people do not seem to have this philosophy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "Summoning phantom..." show up on my screen multiple times while I try to find the host of cinders. Bunch of cowards, I tell you!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I am 100% like you here (with the exception of the Estus. I heal every time because this is my world, dammit). I have never summoned help to deal with an invader and generally have a good fight with them. Recently, however, I've been trying my hand at invading, and most people do not seem to have this philosophy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "Summoning phantom..." show up on my screen multiple times while I try to find the host of cinders. Bunch of cowards, I tell you!

I am usually invaded about as soon as I get start a level, so I just summon on principle. Invader has the entire map of NPCs, and in theory the summoning should tell them where I am. Both at our strongest. Let the best team win.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I'm kicking myself for not trying the Grave Warden Twinblades earlier. While I use the Shield of Want, it's always on my back purely for the soul bonus and I don't even have the strength to wield it. I'm squishy but move quick, hit hard and have enough souls to cycle through the various buffs, resins and so on to adapt to any combat situation. loving love these things. :allears:

Also which one of you just ran a four man group outside of the Dragonslayer armour on PS4? Just got summoned by a host who refused to budge for anyone until we all got into a circle and used the toast emote. :v:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think you should have to go into ng+, let alone ng++, to get everything. like alt endings are one thing, but this is lame. on the plus side, you can use the leave command in the menus to drop stuff for other players during coop so it should be possible to bypass that stuff if you can find someone willing to go through that hassle for you (assuming you can drop the rings - you definitely can't drop storm ruler because I tried, but normal stuff seems to be fair game). you could do this with the weapon trophies in demon's souls as well

Oh sure, I just think beating NG++ in and out of itself for a trophy isn't a bad idea; although arguably far better suited to a situation such as DS2 where combat encounters and enemies change in the different cycles.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Fashion souls question:

Can you get the gear from those crow warriors you see in the woods, and if so, how does it look like on a player character?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dark Souls name censoring.

K***ht.

But the actual n-word is just fine.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think you have to capitalize the word to bypass the filter.
But yes it has a lot of easy exploitations.

Binged the thread so gonna reply to some old posts, sorry about that.

Obligatum VII posted:

PS. Still searching for the proper values to make a character that looks like patches. Surely someone has managed it?
Does this help in any way? Only reference I could find.

Internet Kraken posted:

The goblet is Wolnir's skull. When you touch it, it creates a magic hallucination of Wolnir to fight. Its not actually teleporting you to the abyss and Wolnir wasn't actually a 50 foot tall skeleton man.

I think Wolnir is supposed to be a parallel of the DS2 player without the SOTFS ending. An all powerful conqueror that kicks tons of rear end and makes a big name for himself, but ultimately still slides into irrelevance as his legacy crumbles. Basically saying that all that power doesn't mean anything in the long run if you don't do anything with it to break the cycle.

Aldia and the fate of the DS2 protagonist, assuming the SOTFS ending is the canon one, is one of my biggest questions right now. The work you did with him is set up as being pretty drat important but its unclear what this actually was. I thought the Unkindled were supposed to be a result of your work but apparently an interview stated that they are just undead that hosed up linking the first flame a long time ago and have nothing to do with that.
I could swear there was a dummied out "Wolnir's Goblet" item with an appropriate description and more info but I can't for the life of me find it.

As for Aldia, well, while he's nowhere to be seen, his legacy still exists in the Grand Archive. There's a bunch of items that mention the Scholar (capitalized just like that), and while it may be a different person, Soul Stream says Scholar is the one that basically taught Lothric that hey, linking the flame sucks, don't do it. And that's kinda what Aldia was going for in the end.
Also Soul Stream was basically Soul Geyser in DS2 and surprise, that's an Aldia heirloom.

NTT posted:

Opinion: the two spider things that drop Aldrich rings are cute.
I'm amused at how much the design resembles a villain from Conan.

Also, someone earlier on asked why people were going on about Ciaran, and it seems like her swords were in the game at some point:

quote:

Golden Dual Swords
A pair of characteristically curved swords, each serving a distinct purpose.

The right is embedded with thorns, designed to wound and wither the opponent. During that instant, the left is used to finish them with its superior cutting ability. A deadly onslaught with this weapon will strike fear into one's enemies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I never made the Aldia connection but it sounds perfectly reasonable, considering he is literally the Scholar of the First Sin and was very vocal about how linking the fire is fabricated lies, nonsense and all that.

Prince Lothric is also an interesting character because his reaction is so incredibly human. He would rather let the world burn than extend a seemingly never ending cycle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Prince Lothric is also an interesting character because his reaction is so incredibly human. He would rather let the world burn than extend a seemingly never ending cycle.

I'm not sure that's the word I'd use...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

WaltherFeng posted:

I never made the Aldia connection but it sounds perfectly reasonable, considering he is literally the Scholar of the First Sin and was very vocal about how linking the fire is fabricated lies, nonsense and all that.

He's the most powerful of the Crestfallen

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He's the most powerful of the Crestfallen

im pretty sure hawkwood would kick his rear end tbh

hawkwood is super real for some reason

edit:

HGH posted:

Also Soul Stream was basically Soul Geyser in DS2 and surprise, that's an Aldia heirloom.

soul geyser and soul stream have the same name in japanese between ds2/3
same with forbidden sun and chaos bed vestiges apparently (???)
see: http://00tn2.blogspot.ca/2016/04/dark-souls-3.html

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 9, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Deserter or not he was at least, for a time, part of Farron's Legion.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In farron swamp by the basilisks, there's two items up on a ledge. Its possible to jump up into boulders and almost get there but I can't get to the ledge itself. Is there another route? I never found it first play through.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

1.06 changes

Overall AR increase to Daggers [15%?]
Twinblade-type weapon L1 damage increased [~1.8 times damage of R1]
Farron Hail Spread has been decreased. Same damage.
Crystal Hail now fires 3 volleys of small Crystal soulmasses. Same damage.
Great Farron Dart's successive cast speed increased (maybe). Same damage.
No spell damage buffs/nerfs in the regulation at all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

In farron swamp by the basilisks, there's two items up on a ledge. Its possible to jump up into boulders and almost get there but I can't get to the ledge itself. Is there another route? I never found it first play through.

iirc you drop down onto that ledge somewhere near the farron keep perimeter bonfire, if you found that

EDIT: vvv listen to this guy

Baku fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 9, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mastershakeman posted:

You drop down to those items via an opening near the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire - around where those three swamp enemies are sitting down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watching Geop's DS2 LP reminded me of a thing I wish they'd carried over: DS2 had fantastic backstab animations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I like the vague dark souls endings but I wish the mechanics for activating them were a lot more clear. I just beat the game last night, got the Lord of Hollows ending, but spent literally 25 minutes googling on my smartphone after beating the final boss because, when you approach the last bonfire, the button prompt always says "link the flame" even if you're all set to usurp the flame. It kind of kills the magic of the moment when you have to stop and google!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 9, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The way From handles quests in these games has always been pointlessly dense and I hate it. If you don't read a guide you'll have no idea how to finish any of these quests in this game unless you talk to every NPC after you do absolutely anything just to see if you advanced a quest yet.

I'm not saying there needs to be glowing arrows and ?s over everyone, but even a basic quest log like how Morrowind did it would be fine. It was vague enough that you still had to explore and use your noggin, but it had plenty enough guidance to get you where you needed to be.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

I like the vague dark souls endings but I wish the mechanics for activating them were a lot more clear. I just beat the game last night, got the Lord of Hollows ending, but spent literally 25 minutes googling on my smartphone after beating the final boss because, when I approached the last bonfire, the button prompt always says "link the flame" and that's not what I wanted to do. It kind of kills the magic of the moment when you have to stop and google!

It really should have said usurp the fire at that point. I also googled it the first time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

I like the vague dark souls endings but I wish the mechanics for activating them were a lot more clear. I just beat the game last night, got the Lord of Hollows ending, but spent literally 25 minutes googling on my smartphone after beating the final boss because, when you approach the last bonfire, the button prompt always says "link the flame" even if you're all set to usurp the flame. It kind of kills the magic of the moment when you have to stop and google!

Yeah, they shoulda updated the little tooltip for that one. The other two endings are very clear--you either pick Link the Flame or you use the Fire Keeper's summon sign like she told you to, but there's nothing at all to tell you that the Lord of Hollows ending overwrites the normal Link the Flame one if you unlock it.

RyokoTK posted:

The way From handles quests in these games has always been pointlessly dense and I hate it. If you don't read a guide you'll have no idea how to finish any of these quests in this game unless you talk to every NPC after you do absolutely anything just to see if you advanced a quest yet.

I'm not saying there needs to be glowing arrows and ?s over everyone, but even a basic quest log like how Morrowind did it would be fine. It was vague enough that you still had to explore and use your noggin, but it had plenty enough guidance to get you where you needed to be.

I just think the quests need to be less time-sensitive and maybe with less exacting triggers. None of these games have really done NPC quests all that well. I'd say DS3 comes the closest just because I love the reversal it pulls on summoning NPCs for bosses to advance their quest--it's cool that the player is the one who's summoned this time--but the attempts to make some of the NPC quests sort of intersect and interact just makes it all the more fiddly. Greirat's and Anri's quests, in particular, routinely get hosed up even if you already know what you're doing.

I wouldn't be opposed to a little journal or something, like you suggest. They could even make it an item you use to keep it in-universe, just to remind you where you last saw an NPC and what they were saying, maybe with a subtle hint about where they might be headed next. I don't want actual quest steps in there, but reminders about what you already know would be nice.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 9, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

mastershakeman posted:

Yes when you're above in that castle like area that leads to that door into the lake area there's a place you can drop down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Does respec break sirris' quest chain?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Speaking of NPC questlines whatever happens to that dude who's all cynical and laughs at how stupid it all it in the Shrine but disappears soon after Faron?

Harrow posted:

I just think the quests need to be less time-sensitive and maybe with less exacting triggers. None of these games have really done NPC quests all that well. I'd say DS3 comes the closest just because I love the reversal it pulls on summoning NPCs for bosses to advance their quest--it's cool that the player is the one who's summoned this time--but the attempts to make some of the NPC quests sort of intersect and interact just makes it all the more fiddly. Greirat's and Anri's quests, in particular, routinely get hosed up even if you already know what you're doing.

I wouldn't be opposed to a little journal or something, like you suggest. They could even make it an item you use to keep it in-universe, just to remind you where you last saw an NPC and what they were saying, maybe with a subtle hint about where they might be headed next. I don't want actual quest steps in there, but reminders about what you already know would be nice.

The bigger problem is that a game that lets you explore (to an extent) shouldn't then punish you for exploring. For example,

- if you explore from the Manor in Irityhl, Seigward advances there and cannot save Greirat.

- in the same Greirat line, you CAN send Patches ONCE to save Greirat but he'll only do it in Onion armor. So if you have advanced Seigward you have no way to save Greirat unless it's NG+ (by the way, the only way to save Greirat from Lothric is to be on NG+ where they both have onion armor)

- Trying out even respecing punishing you from the Sirris questline. I realize they are enemies and all, but the honest mistake would be that it's not the same as "offering" it to Rosaria.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
have i blocked access to the mound makers by killing the cursewood and then doing thee rosaria's fingers quest?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

mastershakeman posted:

Does respec break sirris' quest chain?

JetsGuy posted:

- Trying out even respecing punishing you from the Sirris questline. I realize they are enemies and all, but the honest mistake would be that it's not the same as "offering" it to Rosaria.

According to this wiki: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sirris+of+the+Sunless+Realms

this has changed and you apparently can respec without breaking the chain. I wouldn't risk it though unless you desperately need to respec. Keep in mind though that the way to get tounges aside from the few random lucky ones requires equipping the covenant item, which will void the questline.

quote:

Using a Pale Tongue to change your appeareance or respec won't void Sirri's questline as of regulation version 1.05.

EDIT:

Jose posted:

have i blocked access to the mound makers by killing the cursewood and then doing thee rosaria's fingers quest?

Yes.

Two ways to join Moundmakers.

1) Talk to the spider cage guy behind the house, which turns the cage monster docile. Enter the cage, get the covenant before the Greatwood fight.

2) Sirris summon sign around there after beating Alrich (won't appear if you have turned Sirris against you).

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 9, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

According to this wiki: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sirris+of+the+Sunless+Realms

this has changed and you apparently can respec without breaking the chain. I wouldn't risk it though unless you desperately need to respec. Keep in mind though that the way to get tounges aside from the few random lucky ones requires equipping the covenant item, which will void the questline.

No it's not. You get tongues just from killing people normally, without a covenant that alters the reward you get.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

JetsGuy posted:

Speaking of NPC questlines whatever happens to that dude who's all cynical and laughs at how stupid it all it in the Shrine but disappears soon after Faron?

The bigger problem is that a game that lets you explore (to an extent) shouldn't then punish you for exploring. For example,

- if you explore from the Manor in Irityhl, Seigward advances there and cannot save Greirat.

- in the same Greirat line, you CAN send Patches ONCE to save Greirat but he'll only do it in Onion armor. So if you have advanced Seigward you have no way to save Greirat unless it's NG+ (by the way, the only way to save Greirat from Lothric is to be on NG+ where they both have onion armor)

That guy goes off looking for dragons. If you find the Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone, he'll leave a message with the blacksmith, challenging you for it.

The game doesn't punish you for exploring, it only punishes Greirat. If you bring his ashes to the handmaiden, you can still get everything he would've offered. The world is a harsh and arbitrarily punishing place sometimes.

You appear to be offering the severed tongue of somebody you hunted down and murdered to the maggot-goddess to be reincarnated through her unholy process. Sirris is not ok with that.

Jose posted:

Yes, sorry.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

you can safely respec now, you only break Sirris questline if you offer up a pale tongue for covenant progression.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Who knew you could put mimics to sleep with undead hunter charms? Nothing in the item description indicates they can be used for this.

After, you should be able to drop a firebomb into their open mouth like Geralt does with monster nests.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Who knew you could put mimics to sleep with undead hunter charms? Nothing in the item description indicates they can be used for this.

It's an easter egg and returning feature from Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nuebot posted:

So I had a weird thought about something I want to see in the DLC. Random mimics. Just make every chest have a random percent chance of being a mimic. Sometimes you open it and get your item, sometimes you open it and get a mimic. Oh no!

i can't be the only person who attacks every chest exactly once, no matter what, even if i know based on replaying the game, that it's not a mimic, right? i feel like random mimics wouldn't make any difference, unless they could randomly be things like bonfires or crates or trees or truly a random assortment of things.