Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't that called "normal debating" by people who don't huff EY's farts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I guess if you feel that straw man arguments are so common that you need to codify the opposite as its own termed practice it makes sense. But it's nothing new, yeah, most good counter-arguments I have read will have a turn where it shows that some basis for an argument is false and then says, "But let's assume that it's true, this still doesn't help because..."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I would've assumed steelmanning was basically constructing a BEEP BOOP RULE THE HUMANOIDS strawman caricature of a LessWronger.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hey so unrelated but I don't really get the title Neoreaction a Basilisk. Is there an implied colon after "Neoreaction" or is the word neoreaction being used as a verb?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I read the RationalWiki about Roko's Basilisk and still don't understand what the title means.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't that called "normal debating" by people who don't huff EY's farts?

It is standard practice yes

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

GunnerJ posted:

Hey so unrelated but I don't really get the title Neoreaction a Basilisk. Is there an implied colon after "Neoreaction" or is the word neoreaction being used as a verb?

That's how I read it, like it's saying Neoreaction is equivalent to the original concept of a 'basilisk'.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gonna take the boat out this weekend and neoreaction me up the ol' basilisk

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I read the RationalWiki about Roko's Basilisk and still don't understand what the title means.

Do you understand what Roko's Basilisk is? I say 'understand' but truly we cannot comprehend this terror of time immortal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

What does 'steelmanning' mean by the way?

Djeser posted:

It's supposed to be the opposite of strawmanning, where instead of inventing a lovely version of someone's argument to attack, you invent the best possible version of someone's argument to debate against.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The opposite of a strawman - to try and imagine the "best" and most sound version of your opponents argument to lend credence to your counterargument.

GunnerJ posted:

The opposite of strawmanning, basically, in that you intentionally construct the most charitably interpreted, logically rigorous, and conformant to facts version of an opponent's argument as the subject of a refutation. Dunno why what seems like the proper way to make a good case needs its own special term but hey.

eta: Wow, OK, that was enthusiastic.

*rushes into thread gasping for breath*

Steelmanning is... wheeze... when you argue against... cough... the strongest position possible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As I believe Sandifer said, this is what happens when an online community of armchair philosophers doesn't have a real education in cultural criticism, so they reinvent the wheel with a clumsy TVTropes version of academic terminology.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Actually, it's about ethics in debating tactics.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

GunnerJ posted:

The colon is implied - It's a reference to William Blake's prophetic books America a Prophecy and Europe a Prophecy.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in debating tactics.

Ethics in huffing farts

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm still loving that these chucklefucks spend ages circlejerking about how the loving MARXISTS are lurking in the shadows to protect this 'Cathedral' they hate so much but the second an openly-Marxist person analyses their thoughts they scatter like cockroaches instead of legitimately defend their bad ideas.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GunnerJ posted:

I have to say that I agree with him that this is actually a good thing on some level. Tone deaf, but the thing that keeps me from 100% writing off the whole LessWrong crew as a bona-fide cult is that they are willing to engage in this kind of self-criticism. They're only 90% of the way there otherwise.

That quote is not Scott, but from a post by the non-binary Ozy. I agree that they're usually one of the good ones. (eta: I'd be interested in their reaction to the book, actually)

Scott is of course disagreeing, and identifying this behavior as weakness, because he wishes his community to remain pure in the face of its dastardly enemies, blah blah shifting rhetorical focus blah.

Doc Hawkins has a new favorite as of 16:25 on May 9, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

That quote is not Scott, but from a post by the non-binary Ozy. I agree that they're usually one of the good ones. (eta: I'd be interested in their reaction to the book, actually)

Scott is of course disagreeing, and identifying this behavior as weakness, because he wishes his community to remain pure in the face of its dastardly enemies, blah blah shifting rhetorical focus blah.

I knew it wasn't Scott but I figured that the original author was saying it's an annoying or otherwise negative tendency, to which Scott countered that it's actually usually a good thing that can be easily taken advantage of.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'd agree, but they've been involved in the same shady "desperately run PR for the far-right parts of our ingroup" as Scott including making a long post that boils down to "maybe the truth behind Gamergate is somewhere in the middle".

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

How is it possible for you to be this bad at reading?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Patrick Spens posted:

How is it possible for you to be this bad at reading?

Oh cool, our secondary contrarian is here to pick up Cingulate's slack

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

divabot posted:

It's OK! Crisis averted, everyone! Scott has cautioned the rationalists not to talk about the book. Because "do not look at/talk about/acknowledge Neoreaction A Basilisk or bad things will happen" is a line of thought that has worked out spiffingly for rationalism heretofore. Phil sends a love note to the rationalists in general.

I'm curious to see if Phil will end up taking over from you as the Satan figure in rationalist mythology.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah if Phil's doing something odd, 99% odds are it's a Blake homage. If he's saying something questionable, 99% odds is because he's convinced it's the Blake-iest thing to possibly say.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah if Phil's doing something odd, 99% odds are it's a Blake homage. If he's saying something questionable, 99% odds is because he's convinced it's the Blake-iest thing to possibly say.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Is Phil sandifer the Wikipedia guy with his own encyclopaedia dramatically article?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dear god, it's still around? How many hosts/countries have they been kicked out of?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Enquiring minds want to know
E: answer the question progs!

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Is Phil sandifer the Wikipedia guy with his own encyclopaedia dramatically article?

Pretty sure you're thinking of divabot himself. divabot, want to comment?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Saeku posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of divabot himself. divabot, want to comment?

Im not thinking of poo poo, I just googled phil sandifer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems it's him. So what? I've got several ED articles/sections and I'm an internet nobody.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
All it really takes to get on ED is to make at least three people who hang out on 8chan nowadays angry at you.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tesseraction posted:

Seems it's him. So what? I've got several ED articles/sections and I'm an internet nobody.

Post them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

All it really takes to get on ED is to make at least three people who hang out on 8chan nowadays angry at you.

When I was 14 I made an ED article about a kid I didn't like in school so the internet would know how gay and lame he was and it's still there to this day. Sorry about that guy :shobon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

When I was 14 I made an ED article about a kid I didn't like in school so the internet would know how gay and lame he was and it's still there to this day. Sorry about that guy :shobon:

yeah, exactly this

turns out pissing nerds off is an easy way to end up on a site that never deletes anything

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

and when they know you IRL they're more likely to provide that info without knowing the consequences

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Post it

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Yeah ok they both have ED articles and are Wikipedia guys I guess?

I'm surprised how many ED articles there are about random people. And how incoherent they generally are.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Saeku posted:

Yeah ok they both have ED articles and are Wikipedia guys I guess?

I'm surprised how many ED articles there are about random people. And how incoherent they generally are.

:ssh:He's trying to stir up poo poo and isn't very good at it :ssh:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I wouldn't say I'm stirring poo poo so much as ribbing, because divabot's ED page basically just says he's a long-time goth (not something he's embarrassed about) and really into wikipedia (did not know) and I wouldn't've known of it except he or one of his friends brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Saeku posted:

I wouldn't say I'm stirring poo poo so much as ribbing, because divabot's ED page basically just says he's a long-time goth (not something he's embarrassed about) and really into wikipedia (did not know) and I wouldn't've known of it except he or one of his friends brought it up.

I didn't mean you