Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aren't we putting a little too much scrutiny on Polaris 11 when Polaris 10 is supposed to be the enthusiast end of that product stack?

Also, Zen is scheduled for Q4 2016. I know, :AMD:, but there was news that AMD would be debuting with 8- and 6- core parts first with no 2- or 4- core parts until later. I hope this means that the yields are good, (and therefore probably on-track?) even though the words "8-core AMD CPU" is firmly associated with garbo FX processors in my head.

For normal purposes, yeah, for pipe dream "holy poo poo did Raja's talk of lowering the price of an affordable VR GPU pan out" Polaris 11 being VR capable would be awesome. I'm guessing it'd rely on big VR specific gains though and kind of doubt it will happen, since NV's comparison has it at ~50% over the 980 in actual games, which puts it at 15-20% more than 980 Ti. That's not enough room above the 970 for two full tiers. However if you use that VR specific figure and Polaris 11 is a bit above 380X in regular games it might be workable.

And right, 2017 was the APUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Zero VGS posted:

It sucks a bit because AMD is kinda doing the "right thing" by trying to prioritize affordable low/mid-tier cards for the 99%.

I was thinking about this recently but I don't know how I feel about it anymore. On the steam GPU survey, the 970 is the most popular card (at 5%) while the lower end 950 is in only about a tenth of those (0.5%). I guess I had always assumed that the $150 cards outsold the $350 cards 10:1.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Naffer posted:

I was thinking about this recently but I don't know how I feel about it anymore. On the steam GPU survey, the 970 is the most popular card (at 5%) while the lower end 950 is in only about a tenth of those (0.5%). I guess I had always assumed that the $150 cards outsold the $350 cards 10:1.

People who play games started getting jobs over the last 5 years imo

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Naffer posted:

Why compare to the 950? The 960 is a better comparison, and even then it's a mediocrity that came out later and was overpriced. The 970 was a good card that came out without its weaknesses being known and with its competition being severely misrepresented in benchmarks. It's one of the most successful launches of all time.

However, if that's all NV has and AMD owns the lower end for a while that's a lot of low end GPUs they're making the new version of. It's also a return to mobile where basically any market share they get is a gain.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

People who play games started getting jobs over the last 5 years imo

I...don't think so? People have been playing games since like the 70s, dude.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

xthetenth posted:

Why compare to the 950? The 960 is a better comparison, and even then it's a mediocrity that came out later and was overpriced. The 970 was a good card that came out without its weaknesses being known and with its competition being severely misrepresented in benchmarks. It's one of the most successful launches of all time.

However, if that's all NV has and AMD owns the lower end for a while that's a lot of low end GPUs they're making the new version of. It's also a return to mobile where basically any market share they get is a gain.

I picked the 950 because it was cheaper than the 960, but I didn't realize it was released ~6 months after.
There are almost as many 970's as 750ti's, 950, and 960's combined: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Talk about a successful card.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It's a survey from a gamer demographic whom would care about getting high on their graphic settings.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Naffer posted:

I picked the 950 because it was cheaper than the 960, but I didn't realize it was released ~6 months after.
There are almost as many 970's as 750ti's, 950, and 960's combined: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Talk about a successful card.

Was steam doing the survey back when the 8800 GT dropped? That's the only card I can think of that got the same ludicrous mindshare and had everyone scrambling to buy it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nyaa posted:

It's a survey from a gamer demographic whom would care about getting high on their graphic settings.

Why would we need to include non-gamers who buy gaming GPUs?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xthetenth posted:

Was steam doing the survey back when the 8800 GT dropped? That's the only card I can think of that got the same ludicrous mindshare and had everyone scrambling to buy it.

Probably because that card can pretty much max any PS4/Xbone port at max settings at 1080 which is what most PC users are still using.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Why would we need to include non-gamers who buy gaming GPUs?
My point was the gamer cares more about getting better graphic than being frugal.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nyaa posted:

My point was the gamer cares more about getting better graphic than being frugal.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to discredit the survey, effectively saying that most AMD GPU customers don't use Steam or some poo poo.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xthetenth posted:

Ahem, 9700/9800 Pro. Of course Steam didn't even exist back then, much less a hardware survey.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Sorry, I thought you were trying to discredit the survey, effectively saying that most AMD GPU customers don't use Steam or some poo poo.

I'm pretty sure 300 series reporting is bugged and they just aren't showing, actually. I think they were showing up for a bit.

Seamonster posted:

Ahem, 9700/9800 Pro. Of course Steam didn't even exist back then, much less a hardware survey.

True. The 8800 GT was the only one since that was really the only card people considered (and that one flat out didn't have ATI competition while the 970 was just up against a very underrated card.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

He's not wrong though. Everyone has noticed that the market is stratifying - most people use/play on iGPUs, the consoles own the low-end market, and the high-end gaming market is taking off like crazy.

Sales of things like 980 Tis have skyrocketed. They're still a minority even of high-end gaming but sales of 970s and 390s are huge. $300 cards being popular is novel within the last couple years.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 9, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Uhh, I guess this should explain what the Founder's edition is, and why there will be a lack of reference design coolers from OEMs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYA-IR2sqTE

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

He's not wrong though. Everyone has noticed that the market is stratifying - most people use/play on iGPUs, the consoles own the low-end market, and the high-end gaming market is taking off like crazy.

Sales of things like 980 Tis have skyrocketed. They're still a minority even of high-end gaming but sales of 970s and 390s are huge. $300 cards being popular is novel within the last couple years.

Bitcoin billionaires cashing in :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
PCs have been better performance per dollar than consoles for ages now, but we're *almost* to the point where they can be strictly better at the same price point.

Like, the PS4.5 is expected to drop for $400.

Now here's the cheapest PC I can whip up that's not crap:

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($36.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $242.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 15:31 EDT-0400

That's $242 for a mini-ITX PC you can overclock to 4.4mhz with the included cooler. It has the weakness of no hyperthreading which fucks it on some games, but it's in throwing distance of a Skylake motherboard and i3 that'd fix that issue.

If Polaris 11 is around $150, then you've probably got a combo that'd kick the poo poo out of a PS4.5 for the same pricepoint and can be upgraded.

It would be cool if a PC OEM could put everything together into something like the Alienware Alpha, but with a real, upgradable GPU.

On another note:

Nvidia posted:

Lens Matched Shading increases pixel shading performance by rendering more natively to the unique dimensions of VR display output. This avoids rendering many pixels that would otherwise be discarded before the image is output to the VR headset.

That makes sense to skip rendering the pixels that the Rift/Vive lenses don't capture. But would it be possible, if NVidia/AMD planned around it, to actually boost performance but not rendering the subpixels of the pentile displays?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

That's $242 for a mini-ITX PC you can overclock to 4.4mhz with the included cooler. It has the weakness of no hyperthreading which fucks it on some games, but it's in throwing distance of a Skylake motherboard and i3 that'd fix that issue.
That price is great but these console guys probably only own a TV, and a nice monitor could be a bit much for them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That price is great but these console guys probably only own a TV, and a nice monitor could be a bit much for them.
HDMI

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

feedmegin posted:

Yeah but there has been a noticeable shift ... the 970 is like the most popular card ever sold. If you said a minimum $330 card (even equivalent in inflation) was the most purchased card 10 years ago that would be laughable. Those cards existed back then too but they certainly weren't "mainstream". Why this is the case I have no real idea, increased disposable income with age and reduced negative stigma (for better or for worse) for gaming is just a wild guess. But this is just my opinion and I could be very wrong about it lol, and im certainly not trying to say $200 pricepoint cards aren't important (who wouldn't want good cards at every pricepoint).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If only you could plug a computer into a tv

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

Game studios are very focused on multicore for current and future games, as both consoles depend heavily on it. There are already games that won't play on dual core chips without fiddling, and that trend should be expected to continue.

The minimum CPU for gaming is really in the 200 ~ 300 dollar range these days. Price+performance parity with consoles is just not possible, and given how the two bits of hardware are designed, built and assembled, probably never will be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zero VGS posted:

PCs have been better performance per dollar than consoles for ages now, but we're *almost* to the point where they can be strictly better at the same price point.

Like, the PS4.5 is expected to drop for $400.

Now here's the cheapest PC I can whip up that's not crap:

I think your general thought is good, but Mirror's Edge will require a quad core and will also be on consoles. I'd expect in a couple years more games will have that requirement.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

But would it be possible, if NVidia/AMD planned around it, to actually boost performance but not rendering the subpixels of the pentile displays?

Nope, the subpixels the GPU spends the bulk of its time shading don't map exactly to the subpixels on the display after the lens-correction warp is applied.

I think you could do it in a raytracer but that's no good for games :(

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

EoRaptor posted:

The minimum CPU for gaming is really in the 200 ~ 300 dollar range these days.

Lockback posted:

I think your general thought is good, but Mirror's Edge will require a quad core and will also be on consoles. I'd expect in a couple years more games will have that requirement.

Won't an i3-6100 most likely do fine though? I don't think there's a single game out now that can't hold 30 fps on one and most non-open world games will happily pass 60 and keep going. Even the dreaded Ashes of the Singularity gets 50ish. It could be that everything is going to start scaling better with more cores and thus expecting them due to DX12/Vulkan ostensibly alleviating the single threaded performance bottleneck, but I don't think it'll immediately obsolete dual cores with hyperthreading.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

I see what you're saying but it's not like you can expect the average Dorito cramming, Mtn Dew chugging, CoD 360 no-scoping alpha male to properly set a PC up to behave quite like a console can.

Maybe for a small premium they can have a Geek Squad tech come over and set Steam to start up with Big Picture or something.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I see what you're saying but it's not like you can expect the average Dorito cramming, Mtn Dew chugging, CoD 360 no-scoping alpha male to properly set a PC up to behave quite like a console can.

Maybe for a small premium they can have a Geek Squad tech come over and set Steam to start up with Big Picture or something.
yes plugging in a single video+audio cord is definitely too much for the average video game player who has no less than 20 dialog boxes to set up a modern console :hurr:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It'd be nice if overscan unfucking were easier though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

You can, but input lag is pretty brutal on a decent fraction of televisions. Sometimes turning off motion compensation fixes it, sometimes not. Some sets will pop out of "gaming" mode when games tweak resolution at launch, too.

It's gonna get interesting when Freesync is on a decent quantity of TVs though, because it may really help smooth out some of the flaws of console gameplay.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yes plugging in a single video+audio cord is definitely too much for the average video game player who has no less than 20 dialog boxes to set up a modern console :hurr:

So what else is stopping the great console -> PC exodus, system exclusive titles?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Even if it is hooked up properly, unless you have a TV with low input display lag, games are going to look like rear end on it in motion. I went with the KDL55W950B specifically because of this but I'm guessing the average TV is a Vizio or something similar.

Edit: beaten

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 9, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nfcknblvbl posted:

So what else is stopping the great console -> PC exodus, system exclusive titles?

An easy to use interface, and I hate to say this word, but an established and understood "ecosystem". When compared to an average PC the console is just plain simpler to use and is far more approachable. However they are really starting to try with Steam OS, and if PC's can break through that final barrier there may very well be an exodus. Or rather, there will be some kind of weird merging when Sony and Microsoft see the writing on the wall.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Founder's Edition explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0AoYSH01g

TL;DR, reference board and cooler. Seriously, that's it. Seems Nvidia thinks their cooler is better than everyone else's. (I also don't believe for a moment that the demo card wasn't cherry-picked.)

Takeaway:

* Nvidia is the sole seller of the reference card. Money goes straight into their pocket, no middleman.
* Since they get to market before partners, that's an extra $100 free right into their pocket
* Partner cards start at $100 cheaper than reference, so they can add cost in the form of custom coolers back up to the reference card price.
* Congratulations, Nvidia. You have succeeded in turning the base model without moonroof or power windows into the top-of-the-line model and charging people an extra $100 for it.

I find that last point to be skeezy as gently caress.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bloodplay it again posted:

Even if it is hooked up properly, unless you have a TV with low input lag, games are going to look like rear end on it in motion. I went with the KDL55W950B specifically because of this but I'm guessing the average TV is a Vizio or something similar.
Sure, but if the argument is the TVs suck, they ought to suck when a console is piped into it, too, no? And if not, then whatever settings/tricks consoles use to overcome it should be portable to any computer setup, as well.

The real answer for the lack of console -> PC exodus is fear and laziness. It's super easy to go and buy a PS4 and plug in one thing and be done with it. No having to spend hours researching what to buy so that you're not inadvertently gimping yourself or inadvertently spending money needlessly. A lot of people are also still convinced that building a PC is difficult or tricky or whatever. My mother could figure out how to plug a Wii in, but holy gently caress there's no way I'd just send her a parts list off NewEgg and assume that would work out well.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If Nvidia sells their Founder's Edition at base cost, they'd be directly competing against their own re-sellers, I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Consumers are dumb news at 11

I hope steam boxes or whatever eventually take off, if nothing else just to expose the masses to the wonderful thing that is steam workshop and the ease of modding it provides.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

When console players start playing FPSes on PC with their controllers they're gonna get destroyed.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If Nvidia sells their Founder's Edition at base cost, they'd be directly competing against their own re-sellers, I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that.

Maybe I am misreading, but what he described sounds more like Nvidia is charging 449$ and 599$ for reference, then ~100$ cheaper to AIB partners, who then jack up the price again with custom features. This kind of makes it sound like there might be a supply issue, and Nvidia is trying to maximize profit temporarily, as I'd think reference models should be cheaper on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Founder's Edition explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0AoYSH01g

TL;DR, reference board and cooler. Seriously, that's it. Seems Nvidia thinks their cooler is better than everyone else's. (I also don't believe for a moment that the demo card wasn't cherry-picked.)

Takeaway:

* Nvidia is the sole seller of the reference card. Money goes straight into their pocket, no middleman.
* Since they get to market before partners, that's an extra $100 free right into their pocket
* Partner cards start at $100 cheaper than reference, so they can add cost in the form of custom coolers back up to the reference card price.
* Congratulations, Nvidia. You have succeeded in turning the base model without moonroof or power windows into the top-of-the-line model and charging people an extra $100 for it.

NVTTM is really good (and expensive) so this is actually not bad. "reference editions" of previous cards were usually more expensive than aftermarket coolers