Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Simply Simon posted:

- The Great Wooden Hammer only weighs 6 units but has a really nice club moveset

That's good to know; I have a gimmick dude that wears the Worker set and hangs out in Undead Settlement to trollolol all the time, and I haven't had that mallet drop yet. The great machete and pronged spear look different on your character than they do on the mobs, but if the mallet is held like a club, that's exactly how the game enemies hold it. If it wasn't for that stupid fat lady with the big mace you can just do the collapse gesture and blend right in with the mob Assassin's Creed style.

BTW, you would think that bluecops would APPRECIATE the chance to be summoned into a game once in a while. So, as I sit there hiding in a bush with my dried finger, this bluecop just comes up and starts whacking on me, like he can do anything to me.

SORRY FOR HELPING YOU TO GET SOME EARS BRO

I guess from now on I'll just equip MM and let the reds & purples sort it out.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I just ran into my first sacred flame/iron flesh cheeser. It's adorable how useless that trick is if you have any idea how it works.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Behemuff posted:

Are the Watchers in the Abyss impossible?!?!?! Sure feels like it :mad: :mad: :mad:

In the second phase I got good results by mostly staying back and baiting the move where he charges towards you with his sword scraping the ground to make a line of fire. Dodging to your right then puts you in a position to hit him while he recovers and has a reasonable chance of getting a backstab.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Einwand posted:

I just ran into my first sacred flame/iron flesh cheeser. It's adorable how useless that trick is if you have any idea how it works.

Did you slowly walk away from them, or did you throw dueling charms at them if their iron flesh made them too fat to even roll? Iron flesh is 45 FP a pop, after all.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Controversial opinion: If you want to transfer items, you should both be Unembered and use a red soap stone with a password.

It's not really controversial, since you can't get random invaded it's actually the best way. The level gap will make the sign take a minute to show up, just like the white one would. Also, once your buddy gets or gives the item, kill the host, boom you've earned yourself a Sunlight Medal. This should be common sense, but the high level character have to hold the items and place the red sign because the new characters won't have the soap stone yet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Simply Simon posted:

Two things I found out while dicking around with weapons:
- Scholar's Candlestick (boss weapon from Deacons) completely inexplicably upgrades with normal Titanite
- The Great Wooden Hammer only weighs 6 units but has a really nice club moveset

The Scholars candlestick isnt a boss weapon.
The Cleric's candlestick is, and yes it does level by titanite.

You can handwave it by saying the soul of the deacons isnt as strong as another twisted soul, and thus it's transposed form does not require blah blah blah

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Section Z posted:

Did you slowly walk away from them, or did you throw dueling charms at them if their iron flesh made them too fat to even roll? Iron flesh is 45 FP a pop, after all.

It only lasts like 15 seconds anyway. Save the charms and spend them on more rope black fire bombs or something.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Simply Simon posted:

I really want to Donkey Kong people but I can't be bothered to farm this weapon, plus there are no Donkey Kong outfits.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I waited until it inevitably whiffed as I slowly walked backwards and then smacked them for roughly half their hp with a warcry'd yhorm's machete. Throwing dung at them would've been a better idea honestly.
Huh, you can stagger outrider knights every swing with yhorm's, this thing is amazing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got so close to finally beating the Nameless king, maybe 2-3 hits to go, but I dun panicked at the end, since it was the first time I ever saw his 2nd.. or should I say 3rd phase. I didn't know what to expect and he skewered me.

It's really a battle of endurance, since his health is pretty high and he hits like a truck.

Although I'm not very good at the first phase so I die way too often in it as well.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Controversial opinion: If you want to transfer items, you should both be Unembered and use a red soap stone with a password.

It's not really controversial, since you can't get random invaded it's actually the best way. The level gap will make the sign take a minute to show up, just like the white one would. Also, once your buddy gets or gives the item, kill the host, boom you've earned yourself a Sunlight Medal. This should be common sense, but the high level character have to hold the items and place the red sign because the new characters won't have the soap stone yet.

On the other hand: it's really fun to invade while people are trading and steal their items :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

I got so close to finally beating the Nameless king, maybe 2-3 hits to go, but I dun panicked at the end, since it was the first time I ever saw his 2nd.. or should I say 3rd phase. I didn't know what to expect and he skewered me.

It's really a battle of endurance, since his health is pretty high and he hits like a truck.

Although I'm not very good at the first phase so I die way too often in it as well.

Once you get to the third phase, that's when you just take a deep breath and get ready to kill him. His lightning attacks are fairly easy to dodge compared to his melee, and they leave him open for a couple attacks during the wind-up every time. You're not exactly home free, but it's definitely the easiest phase of the fight. The problem I had was that I was usually worn out enough by the time that I got to it that I'd gently caress up and get murdered when he had 20% HP left.

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
You can get summoned as an embered phantom? I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back at a fight club recording, it looks like I was an embered mad phantom!

Am I some kind of accidental cheater? :gonk:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Well I beat all the bosses with my DEX guy. They were almost all really good. Nameless and Champion were particularly good at being hard but fair. I guess "fair" here means that they don't force you to memorize timings-- it's important to know their patterns and abilities, but you can read their movements in such a way that you can see when to dodge and don't have to just drill all their poo poo into your muscle memory.

Yhorm is the only one I thought sucked. It's weird that they would reintroduce an idea from the very first Souls game but in a way that's so much less impressive.

It's a great game, oozing that idiosyncratic grotesqueness and beauty that i couldn't find much of in DS2, but it feels uncomfortable in its own skin. Like they wanted to make something as tight and focused as Bloodborne, but they had to keep all the baggage of the franchise, and so things like shields and sorcery and heavy armor have been weakened to the point of feeling unwanted. I'm excited for the DLC but also glad that they'll be moving on after that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Einwand posted:

I waited until it inevitably whiffed as I slowly walked backwards and then smacked them for roughly half their hp with a warcry'd yhorm's machete. Throwing dung at them would've been a better idea honestly.
Huh, you can stagger outrider knights every swing with yhorm's, this thing is amazing.

Yhorm's Mach4ete is the only thing that made me put down the SSS.
(HOW AND WHY IS IT FASTER THAN A UGS)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

VulgarandStupid posted:

I really want to Donkey Kong people but I can't be bothered to farm this weapon, plus there are no Donkey Kong outfits.

Burly build, maximum Body Hair, unibrow, master's tattered outfit.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Don't forget it also does more damage than them too! By a lot. Unless I was misreading it, I was smacking the dragon slayer armour for just shy of 600 damage a swing warcry'd.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 9, 2016

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the fact there isn't a permanent wax head to go with the wax shirt piece is so annoying. I don't mind missing out on the dusk crown damage if I can use a gimmick :mad:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Desperate Character posted:

the fact there isn't a permanent wax head to go with the wax shirt piece is so annoying.

It's in the game files, it just doesn't drop.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's in the game files, it just doesn't drop.

its most probably coded in the exact same way as the egghead in 1.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Holy balls the Dancer is bullshit. I can't decide if it'd be better without lock-on or not and her moves seem designed specifically to goad you (me) into rolling away too early. What's worse is I could possibly do the bossfight with pyromancies but it feels like that'd trivialize the fight too much. drat that's a well-designed roadblock/sheer cliff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It has stupidly high stamina consumption.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It uses what I'd guess at being 60 stamina per swing, which is admittedly really high. On the other hand the one UGS I've tried used 50 per swing so there's really not that much of a functional difference, you're not likely to get more than 3 swings without super high endurance, or 2 and still be able to roll after.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 9, 2016

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but if anyone is running any kind of build with 15 or more INT you can basically turn on easy mode by casting Hidden Body and wearing the Slumbering Dragon Ring.

99% of the enemies in the game won't notice you and it even works on some bosses (although to a limited degree)!

I just started a STR run and am having a blast with the Zweihander. Landing a fully charged 2H-R2 is super satisfying. Does anyone have any other suggestions for an UGS?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

Holy balls the Dancer is bullshit. I can't decide if it'd be better without lock-on or not and her moves seem designed specifically to goad you (me) into rolling away too early. What's worse is I could possibly do the bossfight with pyromancies but it feels like that'd trivialize the fight too much. drat that's a well-designed roadblock/sheer cliff.

When I first saw Dancer footage months ago (was it from the stress test?), I said to myself "this looks easy as hell to dodge through". But you don't really appreciate how hard she is to read until you're fighting her, because her attacks always make it look like it's safe to dodge through but her timing is so weird. She gave me a lot of trouble and frustration, but I appreciate her as one of the game's, if not the series, best bosses for her gimmick alone. Pontiff too, while we're talking about balls-hard bosses that I loved getting my rear end kicked by.

The only fan-favorite I'm not on the hype train for is Nameless King. The actual fight isn't bad, but the Ancient Dragon 2.0 preamble before it was a slog and didn't really add anything to the experience for me but tedium. Having beaten him solo and knowing that I can do it is enough for me honestly, I'll probably skip him on most future runs just like I started skipping Ancient Dragon is DS2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

The only fan-favorite I'm not on the hype train for is Nameless King. The actual fight isn't bad, but the Ancient Dragon 2.0 preamble before it was a slog and didn't really add anything to the experience for me but tedium. Having beaten him solo and knowing that I can do it is enough for me honestly, I'll probably skip him on most future runs just like I started skipping Ancient Dragon is DS2.

Yeah, I have no love for Nameless King. I don't think it's actually a bullshit fight, but needing to re-fight the dragon every attempt is just busy work and it really soured me on the whole thing. I'd probably love it otherwise.

I'm totally on board with the love for Champion Gundyr, though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What weapons do y'all like on your luck builds? So far I've tried Anri's (best damage but boring), Barbed Sword (good but boring), Flamberge (greatswords are my least favorite class in this game), the scythes (hate the small window of high damage), and the Carthus curved sword (excellent, it's my weapon of choice so far). Anything else I should try? I'm at 36 luck and will boost dex next for better damage, and I always use Carthus rouge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

What weapons do y'all like on your luck builds? So far I've tried Anri's (best damage but boring), Barbed Sword (good but boring), Flamberge (greatswords are my least favorite class in this game), the scythes (hate the small window of high damage), and the Carthus curved sword (excellent, it's my weapon of choice so far). Anything else I should try? I'm at 36 luck and will boost dex next for better damage, and I always use Carthus rouge.

Some people swear by the Warden Twinblades.

Carthus Curved Sword is the poo poo, though, so if you're liking that, stick with it. It's a sweet weapon.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The Carthus bloodring (whichever one gives you more invulnerability during rolls) makes Nameless King much easier. You don't want to get hit by him anyway, and so as long as you can still survive one hit (in case you mess up) it's way easier to dodge.

That fight's more about being patient and just hitting him once or twice when you have an opening.

The dragon part is annoying because of the camera more than anything else, imo.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

Qwertycoatl posted:

In the second phase I got good results by mostly staying back and baiting the move where he charges towards you with his sword scraping the ground to make a line of fire. Dodging to your right then puts you in a position to hit him while he recovers and has a reasonable chance of getting a backstab.

Fam you have saved my life! That boss is definitely the one that has taken me the most attempts out of bloodborne and ds3 - like 25/30 for sure. I ended up using my bow for phase 1 ahaha

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spite posted:

The Carthus bloodring (whichever one gives you more invulnerability during rolls) makes Nameless King much easier. You don't want to get hit by him anyway, and so as long as you can still survive one hit (in case you mess up) it's way easier to dodge.

That fight's more about being patient and just hitting him once or twice when you have an opening.

The dragon part is annoying because of the camera more than anything else, imo.

I cheesed him with the Dragonslayer Greatshield, still need to try beating him properly. Does he bleed?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I have no love for Nameless King. I don't think it's actually a bullshit fight, but needing to re-fight the dragon every attempt is just busy work and it really soured me on the whole thing. I'd probably love it otherwise.

I'm totally on board with the love for Champion Gundyr, though.

The Champ is the best boss in the game, IMO. Every second of the fight is either a wind up, an attack, or a recovery fluidly leading into the next. Then once you think you've got him nailed he kicks you in the face because gently caress you.

The Princes are probably my runners-up, for how epic and cinematic their fight is more than anything. I liked Soul of Cinder just fine but would have preferred a buffed version of these two as the final boss to be honest.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

The Champ is the best boss in the game, IMO. Every second of the fight is either a wind up, an attack, or a recovery fluidly leading into the next. Then once you think you've got him nailed he kicks you in the face because gently caress you.

I love the Champion, it's like they imported a Soul Caliber fighter into Dark Souls

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The last DLC boss will be another version of Gundyr that starts the fight in Champ Mode then the second phase he puts down the halberd, gets 3x more moves, and becomes unparryable.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
i thought the princes were a letdown in terms of scale and endgame boss. the teleporting cripple and little mageman was a fun fight but it didn't feel like anything special. the level itself was a good run.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The last DLC boss will be another version of Gundyr that starts the fight in Champ Mode then the second phase he puts down the halberd, gets 3x more moves, and becomes unparryable.

Don't get my hopes up, man.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Genocyber posted:

Remember that a lot of the surrounding land is converging upon Lothric. Izalith in particular is explicitly stated as moving (or rather, Cornyx mentions this is hearsay among pyromancers or something to that effect).

Also it's pretty clear that castle lothric itself physically rose. Or at least the wall did.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only reason Nameless King can be considered harder than the Champ is because he can't be parried and has a first phase that will waste your resources. The Champ is wayyyyyy harder to straight up fight, his combos are ridiculous and brutal.

Nameless King just has some weird timing on his swings you have to get used too, and the only hard part of that is loving up requires killing his stupid dragon again.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Filthy Hans posted:

I cheesed him with the Dragonslayer Greatshield, still need to try beating him properly. Does he bleed?

Can confirm he does bleed. Takes maybe 5 hits to proc with a +10 Uchi and Carthus Rouge. That's assuming you can get off 5 hits in rapid succession, so more like 6-7 hits in actuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
That feeling when you finish off the host with a kukri.

*My Thanks*