Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That just makes me like the guy more, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Pope Guilty posted:

That just makes me like the guy more, really.

"ED hates him!" is more advertisement than condemnation.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been quoted on ED multiple times, usually on pages about various furries, because for a while I had a perverse obsession with furry drama, not unlike those people who collect compilations of car crash videos

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Finally listening to the Podcast - good topics but could really do with some sound filtering.

Can offer advice if needed!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Talk to your doctor about ED

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Patrick Spens posted:

How is it possible for you to be this bad at reading?

Ugh. I deserve that.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Oh cool, our secondary contrarian is here to pick up Cingulate's slack

I don't think I deserve [/i]that[/i], but it still hurts. Truly, a name to conjure with.

I was disappointed to read today that Nick Land's super-spooky nihilist mind-shattering secret which drove him to a mad specter haunting the opium dens of the Orient is just capitalism is an AI from the future trying to bring itself into being.

That's not a dark revelation! It's just the denouement of The Difference Engine! Nick Land is a hack so bad the work of better writers gave him a dissociative episode.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was disappointed to read today that Nick Land's super-spooky nihilist mind-shattering secret which drove him to a mad specter haunting the opium dens of the Orient is just capitalism is an AI from the future trying to bring itself into being.

Hi read this if you want to know what really happened - http://divus.cc/london/en/article/nick-land-ein-experiment-im-inhumanismus

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's not a dark revelation! It's just the denouement of The Difference Engine! Nick Land is a hack so bad the work of better writers gave him a dissociative episode.

The idea of a dark revelation driving someone insane is pretty fantastical on its own. Lovecraft and Poe got the order of operations wrong. What happens more often is that people go crazy, and then they start spouting crazy poo poo. Nick Land is just an educated person with an audience and run of the mill amphetamine psychosis.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't think I deserve that, but it still hurts. Truly, a name to conjure with.

Pretty sure she was talking about me there.

Patrick Spens has a new favorite as of 04:55 on May 10, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like how everyone in this thread thinks everyone else is insulting them all the time.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like how everyone in this thread thinks everyone else is insulting them all the time.

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy. :mad:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

No you! Times two!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy. :mad:

The gently caress did I do to deserve that, you dick?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Dear god, it's still around? How many hosts/countries have they been kicked out of?

I thought ED wasn't actually kicked out of anywhere, it's just really bad at finding people will to pay for its upkeep. So there keep bouncing around cheap foreign hosting places.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That quote is not Scott, but from a post by the non-binary Ozy. I agree that they're usually one of the good ones. (eta: I'd be interested in their reaction to the book, actually)

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'd agree, but they've been involved in the same shady "desperately run PR for the far-right parts of our ingroup" as Scott including making a long post that boils down to "maybe the truth behind Gamergate is somewhere in the middle".

And the unfortunate habit of using "neurotypical" as a snarl word against critics who happen to be autistic, which all find hilarious.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm curious to see if Phil will end up taking over from you as the Satan figure in rationalist mythology.

I'm clearly co-Satan in this endeavour.

Saeku posted:

I wouldn't say I'm stirring poo poo so much as ribbing, because divabot's ED page basically just says he's a long-time goth (not something he's embarrassed about) and really into wikipedia (did not know) and I wouldn't've known of it except he or one of his friends brought it up.

This actually dates back to me and the loved one getting LJDrama's early lovely trolling endeavours kicked off various servers. LJDrama were the fine and upstanding people backing the original ED. Now it's 4chanpedia, it's actually gone up in moral values.

Tesseraction posted:

Finally listening to the Podcast - good topics but could really do with some sound filtering.

Can offer advice if needed!

1. Don't try to use a phone for this. (I couldn't find my USB sound card to use the professional-quality Rode M3 mic. I promptly bought two USB sound cards.)

2. Phil should use a good headset, room was too echoey.

In further news, nostalgebraist has written a good bad review of NaB which Phil reposted. Part 4, links parts 1, 2, 3. I disagree with both nostalgebraist and Phil on what the gently caress Yudkowsky thought he was doing, and wrote an effortpost that was way too much work (mostly to find the bit where Yudkowsky explicitly says he started writing the Sequences to make people more susceptible rational so they would believe him).

"I’m waiting for @nostalgebraist to start writing Neoreaction a Basilisk Prime." - argumate

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

divabot posted:

This actually dates back to me and the loved one getting LJDrama's early lovely trolling endeavours kicked off various servers. LJDrama were the fine and upstanding people backing the original ED. Now it's 4chanpedia, it's actually gone up in moral values.

I actually know one of the bigwigs from the old days and they in particular hated what it had become, hence it becoming OhInternet for a while. Doesn't really undo years of hurting people, of course.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I know one self-hating trans woman with a propensity for stalking other trans women who thinks it's the height of hilarity that I have a ED article.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Justine Tunney?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I actually know one of the bigwigs from the old days and they in particular hated what it had become, hence it becoming OhInternet for a while. Doesn't really undo years of hurting people, of course.

GrrlVinyl or whatever her name is? I met her in IRC once, seemed nice :3:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's also cool but not her. I'm not sure what name he's going by these days as he changed it AFAIK.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If I don't have an ED article am I still allowed to post here?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Who What Now posted:

If I don't have an ED article am I still allowed to post here?

I was a bigwig on RationalWiki, but I'm not mentioned anywhere in their article. Then again, it was apparently written by the resident punching bag of RW, who only wrote up the users he found himself fighting against all the time. (It's still mildly fulfilling to see Ace, the quintessential Schrodinger's Fratboy—if you agree with him, he's serious, if you don't agree with him, you're a no-fun loser who takes stuff on the internet way to seriously—try his shtick on the talkpage and have it not work.)

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I am sorry for invoking the name of Cingulate. It was out of line.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Interesting that he's not posted in a while.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People grow up and try to undo their youthful mistakes, and then on the internet, the people who haven't grown up or are still teenagers outnumber them and are able to stop them from fully undoing their youthful mistakes.

This happened on a big scale with ED, and happened on a smaller scale with semi-famous webcomics opinion haver John Solomon.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

They're just staying on-theme.

Curvature of Earth posted:

I was a bigwig on RationalWiki, but I'm not mentioned anywhere in their article. Then again, it was apparently written by the resident punching bag of RW, who only wrote up the users he found himself fighting against all the time. (It's still mildly fulfilling to see Ace, the quintessential Schrodinger's Fratboy—if you agree with him, he's serious, if you don't agree with him, you're a no-fun loser who takes stuff on the internet way to seriously—try his shtick on the talkpage and have it not work.)
Are you referring to Ace of Ace of Spades HQ, or is there a different Ace? (My sorta-alt-right friend of a fan of Ace of Spades HQ and I honestly can't keep his allegiances straight, so I don't know if htere's another Ace.)

Incidentally, "Schrodinger's Fratboy" is great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I've been quoted on ED multiple times, usually on pages about various furries, because for a while I had a perverse obsession with furry drama, not unlike those people who collect compilations of car crash videos

those videos are great though

Tesseraction posted:

don't jinx it fuckhead

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

pookel posted:

They're just staying on-theme.

Are you referring to Ace of Ace of Spades HQ, or is there a different Ace? (My sorta-alt-right friend of a fan of Ace of Spades HQ and I honestly can't keep his allegiances straight, so I don't know if htere's another Ace.)

Incidentally, "Schrodinger's Fratboy" is great.

Sorry, Ace McWicked from RationalWiki.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People grow up and try to undo their youthful mistakes, and then on the internet, the people who haven't grown up or are still teenagers outnumber them and are able to stop them from fully undoing their youthful mistakes.

This happened on a big scale with ED, and happened on a smaller scale with semi-famous webcomics opinion haver John Solomon.

Don't forget That One Time Shmorky Drew Babyfurs like 16 years ago!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

He pm'd me a while back explaining why and I didn't really want to share it just then because I didn't know if he was just taking a break or what and posting PM's seems a bit rude to me, but I'll give you guys a quote I think sums it up well. This was after I told him that while he can be annoying at times I think he's also helped the thread not jump up its own rear end too much:

quote:

I actually think I'm if at all doing the opposite - people are getting closed off due to being annoyed by me. I fear I'm rather contributing to polarization and shutting off conversations. I know at least I am experiencing a complete absence of conversations. It clearly highlights to me my personal shortcomings in skill and disposition.
I may "help" for lack of a better word some individuals, but the thread as a whole I can hardly imagine going deeper up its own rear end than a bunch of people typing literally nothing but "SHUT UP" with tacit approval of the rest.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

He pm'd me a while back explaining why and I didn't really want to share it just then because I didn't know if he was just taking a break or what and posting PM's seems a bit rude to me, but I'll give you guys a quote I think sums it up well. This was after I told him that while he can be annoying at times I think he's also helped the thread not jump up its own rear end too much:

He's really bad at communicating.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tesseraction posted:

Do you understand what Roko's Basilisk is? I say 'understand' but truly we cannot comprehend this terror of time immortal.
Exhibit A in the case that alt-rightists and transhumanists said gently caress YOU DAD to whatever sort of Christianity they were raised in, but their worldview is still trapped in Christian eschatology?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Exhibit A in the case that alt-rightists and transhumanists said gently caress YOU DAD to whatever sort of Christianity they were raised in, but their worldview is still trapped in Christian eschatology?

To be fair, aside from Anissimov, who actually still believes in Roko's Basilisk?

And a lot of the people we discuss in this thread weren't raised in any sort of Christianity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, aside from Anissimov, who actually still believes in Roko's Basilisk?

And a lot of the people we discuss in this thread weren't raised in any sort of Christianity.

I mean, yes, but most of them were raised in a culture massively shaped by Christianity and Christian assumptions, even if they came from households that were secular, or practiced other religions.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Silver2195 posted:

Well, since TDT is an integral part of it, and none of the Cult is willing to dismiss TDT as steaming garbage (which it is, honestly), all of Yud's people. They've just found a way to dismiss it, not a way to make it stop being a thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The fact that the basilisk is something we have to ask whether anyone believes in anymore is indicative of the problem.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

The fact that the basilisk is something we have to ask whether anyone believes in anymore is indicative of the problem.

True.

Jim is a frighteningly consistent source of horrifyingly vile opinions. Every so often I check to see if he's posted anything worthy of quoting here, and I always find something.

Jim posted:

If the votes are honestly counted, Duerte Harry will be the next president of the Philippines.

He was previously mayor of Davao, where he solved a crime problem, in substantial part a problem of Muslim criminals predating on Christians, by killing criminals. A lot of criminals. Of all religions.

When I was in Davao, some people threatened him with lawfare, and he responded in his newspaper that if they sued him, he would kill them, their wives, and their children.

Motorized tricycles are the major form of public transportation in some parts of Davao and most places near Davao. My tricycle driver stopped to buy fuel, and told me how a street kid had snatched a fuel payment, equivalent to six US dollars, and subsequently been killed by one of Duerte Harry’s death squads.

I wonder how many other payments that kid snatched before they nailed him. Also, how big was this “kid”? Had to be strong enough to snatch, and fast enough to get away.

The people who were allegedly death squads were wonderfully disciplined, always perfectly polite and courteous, their uniforms extremely neat, their guns and decorations shiny. I felt very safe with them, whereas I don’t feel safe with western police, who are conspicuously undisciplined and discourteous. I always get the feeling that western police may capriciously decide I have done something illegal (after all, there are so many things that are illegal) just to show me who is boss. I have always been able to talk my way out of trouble with police even when caught red handed, except for traffic offenses, or else my lawyer was able to talk me out of trouble, but why the hell should I need to talk my way out of trouble? I am an honest decent guy. Anarcho tyranny is that they enforce all sorts of laws against people like me, and not against the kid who snatches six dollars.

When car-burning riots raged in Sweden, police had a policy of deliberately doing nothing about the rioters while cracking down decisively on so-called “vigilantes” who tried to stop immigrant rioters burning cars and neighborhoods. To add insult to injury, authorities issued parking tickets on burned cars.

In America, a four year old boy was groped in a bathroom. His father slugged the groper. Father arrested, groper not arrested.

See Will’s anarcho tyranny blog for a long long list of what police do while allowing criminals to run amuck. He tends to focus on tyranny. Here is some anarchy. And more anarchy.

Duerte Harry’s death squads don’t do anything like that, any more than they would let the brass on their uniforms get dull, or drink while on duty, or wear uniforms that were less than perfectly neat and pressed. Their scrupulous neatness and rigid discipline is a symbol that they do not engage in such self indulgent bullying. Their perfect courtesy and crisply pressed uniforms are a promise that they do not threaten people like me. They threaten people who would snatch six dollars out of my hand.

There a pattern all over the West of excessive force against the innocent, the weak, the law-abiding, and those defending themselves and others but excessive deference to actual violent criminals.

This reflects a more general problem of the state, and members of the state apparatus, displaying ever less discipline. Which problem starts at the top with fireproof senior public servants.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
That groping incident happened in 2008. Not that time being a thing matters to Jim, it's pretty common that he'll have a current example followed by something that happened more than a decade ago, and imply that they're both current events.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is his argument really that the police are bad because they enforce the law when he breaks it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

That groping incident happened in 2008. Not that time being a thing matters to Jim, it's pretty common that he'll have a current example followed by something that happened more than a decade ago, and imply that they're both current events.

I was more focused on the obvious :catstare: of murder being OK as long as it's being done by "disciplined" people in uniform to presumed "real criminals." But the details are also dumb, naturally, because Jim is fractally wrong.