Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wonder, if it is a big hit, what will the next X-Men be about? They've done DoFP, this is Apocalypse, what other big arcs are left? Will they try and dip into Morrison's run, or go back to the late 70s space opera stuff with the Shiar, or that Legacy business, or what?

There's always Dracula: iirc he turned Jubilee into a mutant vampire in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dexo posted:

It's almost like BvS might be a disappointing movie for a large amount of people.

Here's the thing though: That's only something that really gets out to the public after the opening weekend. Reviews are one thing, and sometimes they can be a solid barometer of how folks will react, but there are plenty of critically panned movies that made bank. So even if it was a poo poo movie, that wouldn't explain the opening week of BvS. It was preemptively uninteresting to that audience, and to some extent large sections of the world. Conversely they just accepted Civil War instantly. You can say that BvS being a poo poo movie is why it didn't take off after release in large sections of the world, but the fact it never took off is something else entirely. The reason I bring up China is it's a fairly large market that seems to just eat up big budget spectacle flicks, even moreso than a lot of foreign markets, but it does to some extent apply to most of the world. There was no reason that movie should have so instantly been rejected that I can think of, and yet it was.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well there's the thing. Beavis doesn't HAVE much spectacle. The biggest action sequences are only a few minutes long or loaded into the back end. The rest is a really dull investigation and people being ponderous.

You can say a lot that's negative about the Transformers movies, but they're not wanting for spectacle.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 10, 2016

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm about 99% sure that Blonsky did not get the original formula. Ross specifically mentions that there was an effort to recreate the super soldier serum and that they canned the project after too many failures and side effects. Ross mentions that he is starting him off with small doses, because it is an imperfect formula and he would pull him off of the stuff if he started to see any mental deterioration.

Also, the Marvel wiki says:

And in Civil War it is a plot point that the serum was never perfectly recreated.

Nah, the joke is that the serum has been right from the start, and each time it has been recreated successfully. The problem is the person it is injected into - it amplifies their inner self. To create a supersoldier like Steve you need a person with a brave and pure soul. To create a rage monster you need someone with a lot of repressed anger issues like Banner.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dexo posted:

Yes it has. Especially after opening weekend if it opens in another country first.

BvS got critically panned. That could easily hurt gate in countries with a later opening weekend.

Yes, everyone always listens to critics. Which is why the Transformers franchise consistently fails to make any money.

There seems to be some other X-Factor other than American critics and Internet Posters hate it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well there's the thing. Beavis doesn't HAVE much spectacle. The biggest action sequences are only a few minutes long or loaded into the back end. The rest is a really dull investigation and people being ponderous.

You can say a lot that's negative about the Transformers movies, but they're not wanting for spectacle.

That's not something that's going to be a widespread opinion on opening weekend though. It was absolutely marketed as a big summer spectacle, and very similar to other movies that made some decent scratch.

Wheeee posted:

People keep bringing up old comic book story arcs to mine for movies, but why?

There's these established IPs full of characters that movie audiences obviously enjoy watching, why not write new stories within the framework of these worlds? It's not like most people watching Civil War either know or give a poo poo about the fact that it's based on some old comic book arc, they want to see these movie characters that have been established in prior films.

A lot of the problems in these movies (And the Netflix series) stem from the fact that they stay so close to to what was written in old comic books.

Mostly because people have favorite stories that they liked their favorite smashman/woman in and want to see that done on the screen. Same as they want their favorite character not already on screen to be adapted. Also given the length of publishing history for many of these characters it ties into their favorite versions of the characters. Like I'd really dig a Question or Moon Night show/movie, but if they do it I'd prefer they go with Urban Shaman/literally insane conduit for a moon god. Other versions are good and have good directions they could go, but of the stories I've read those are the versions of those characters that most resonated with me.

It's also a lot easier for the brain to remember a cool scene that they've already seen deluxe storyboarded and translate that to a movie instead of thinking up a whole new one that has nothing to do with previous stories. Most of these movies are just using ideas from the comics and doing their own thing anyway. I think Civil War is the movie that stayed closest to the comics as it was a single story that was being adapted. Even all the origin stories have largely gone off in a different direction after covering the bases.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 10, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also every time people try to write new and original stories they just gently caress it up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's funny because since I don't read comics, and only have like, a base level understanding of certain story lines, all these films have pretty much brand new plots to me. And that's why I like 'em. Probably why I'm not yet tired of Superhero films. Like here's a space adventure, here's a fantasy film, here's a spy movie, a heist movie, a political thriller.

I think it's p dope.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wonder, if it is a big hit, what will the next X-Men be about? They've done DoFP, this is Apocalypse, what other big arcs are left? Will they try and dip into Morrison's run, or go back to the late 70s space opera stuff with the Shiar, or that Legacy business, or what?

Singer has said he wants to get his actual shot at the Dark Phoenix thing, I just hope he does it with a better writer than loving Kinberg.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also every time people try to write new and original stories they just gently caress it up.

this is confusing the self-evident reality that 90% of everything will always be crap with one of several variations of the fallacy that you can change this through careful attention to formula.

in reality the problem isn't any divine algorithm of storytelling. it's that the vast majority of people in absolutely any discipline are humbly mediocre, and exceptionalism of any type is rare - and that's exactly how standards are constructed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I don't disagree that it was a mess of a movie, but even that last Transformers movie made over three times as much it did in China. It was not worse than that movie and it had the biggest superheroes of all time in it. I understand it not making $300M+ in China, I don't understand how it made less than $100M though. That's some spectacular bombing as far as big blockbusters in China goes.

Transformers markets that you'll see big robots fight each other, some PG-13 T&A, some tasteless comedy, and Optimus Prime do cool poo poo. It delivers on all those, regardless of how messy the films are, so audiences are satisfied because they get what they want.

BvS marketed a big fight between Batman and Superman, and it was poorly done and lasted about 5 minutes. It didn't deliver on what it promised, and on top of being a mess of a film, it didn't satisfy the audience.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
people didn't go to see Batman v Superman because the marketing campaign didn't successfully manufacture groundbreaking desire to see batman and superman fight, and because the film itself overtly subverted that premise.

the movie shares the exact same 'choose your team' marketing campaign with Civil War, but there is no 'team' in the movie. bruce wayne is wrong, clark kent is a christ figure. the movie takes two classic figures of american pop culture altruism and portrays them as grimly opposed to each other by fate, in a scenario where one has to die, and another has to lose.

there is no such pretense or tone of ideological instability in the MCU movies, so Civil War accurately comes off as more 'bipartisan' and, thus, 'fair & balanced.' choosing your team is meaningless, people subversively take the twitter to nominate 'independent' teams for team black panther and team marvel girl or something. everyone has a seat at the table, it's accessible liberal capitalism at its most refined.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Darko posted:

In theory, but in presentation, they're pretty much the same:

Calvin and Hobbes got weird

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wolverine 2017 to get an R rating.

http://collider.com/wolverine-3-filming-rated-r/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't need my movies to make billions to be deemed good. Who loving cares that China didn't see it. They didn't go see Dredd.

There's more to come and that's that.

Also did you guys know Beavis = BvS. It's a little slag on the movie. Teehee.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

oh gross.

I was wondering why TFRazorsaw was bringing up Beavis and Butt-Head Do America all of a sudden

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Prepare for pouches and no feet. Simon Kinberg says the next X-Men movie will be another period piece in the most EXTREME decade.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/684693-simon-kinberg-confirms-the-next-x-men-movie-will-be-set-in-the-90s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can we get Wolverine in some "jorts"? Jeans Grey? They're a 90s thing, right?
I think I'm supposed to be part of the generation that is now being catered to with 90s nostalgia but I don't remember poo poo from elementary school and it kind of feels like I didn't "wake up" and start crafting important memories until 9/11 on.
so I'd way rather get some early 2000s nostalgia instead, get some P.O.D. cranking while "Nightcrawler" does...an...early 2000s thing? I don't actually know what those were, it's such a cultureless decade. The 90s have like, pogs and Pokemon and poo poo. What did people do during the early 2000s again? MySpace? PS2?
Oh yeah Nightcrawler could be downloading P.O.D. songs from "Napster" and then it turns out they're just doctored images of Britney Spears nude.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheeee posted:

People keep bringing up old comic book story arcs to mine for movies, but why?

There's these established IPs full of characters that movie audiences obviously enjoy watching, why not write new stories within the framework of these worlds? It's not like most people watching Civil War either know or give a poo poo about the fact that it's based on some old comic book arc, they want to see these movie characters that have been established in prior films.

A lot of the problems in these movies (And the Netflix series) stem from the fact that they stay so close to to what was written in old comic books.

Comic book stories in general are crap. Mining out the best ones has been the strategy up till now because there's decades of material to sift through. Though to be fair, most of these mined stories have only a passing similarity (Civil War is almost completely different, and I'm pretty sure Age of Ultron just borrows the name).

Also the only Netflix series that suffered for hewing close to its material was (half of) S2 of Daredevil and that wasn't due to a particular storyline, it was due to the Hand being Daredevil's most notable antagonists outside of Kingpin.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vintersorg posted:

Who loving cares that China didn't see it.

The people who make films like this, aka the only people that actually matter.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Can we get Wolverine in some "jorts"? Jeans Grey? They're a 90s thing, right?
I think I'm supposed to be part of the generation that is now being catered to with 90s nostalgia but I don't remember poo poo from elementary school and it kind of feels like I didn't "wake up" and start crafting important memories until 9/11 on.
so I'd way rather get some early 2000s nostalgia instead, get some P.O.D. cranking while "Nightcrawler" does...an...early 2000s thing? I don't actually know what those were, it's such a cultureless decade. The 90s have like, pogs and Pokemon and poo poo. What did people do during the early 2000s again? MySpace? PS2?
Oh yeah Nightcrawler could be downloading P.O.D. songs from "Napster" and then it turns out they're just doctored images of Britney Spears nude.

Boy bands and superhero movies are the culture of the early 2000's and I'd be happy to see both as part of an xmen movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Boy bands and superhero movies are the culture of the early 2000's and I'd be happy to see both as part of an xmen movie.

Boy Bands are more late 90s. They went extinct before 2002. I think my memories are fuzzy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

K. Waste posted:

this is confusing the self-evident reality that 90% of everything will always be crap with one of several variations of the fallacy that you can change this through careful attention to formula.

in reality the problem isn't any divine algorithm of storytelling. it's that the vast majority of people in absolutely any discipline are humbly mediocre, and exceptionalism of any type is rare - and that's exactly how standards are constructed.

I think its more that the majority of people making these movies haven't actually read any comics or know anything about the characters they are attempting to portray. They just make up their own poo poo based on an extremely loose interpretation of a wikipedia article. Movies with love and care put into them succeed, ala Deadpool.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Burkion posted:

Boy Bands are more late 90s. They went extinct before 2002. I think my memories are fuzzy

I believe Boy Bands are forever, if only in my heart.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Boy Bands still exist, but as a big thing they definitely suffered a serious decline after 9/11 destroyed America's innocence

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the thing is it doesn't really feel like the new X-Men movie's marketing or trailers are really leaning into the whole 80s vibes anyway (other than like early promo/character shots), which is kind of disappointing. It just looks like a generic CGI CITY DESTRUCTION fest. If you're going to mine 80s vibes, get some style, like The Nice Guys is doing with the 70s.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

I don't need my movies to make billions to be deemed good. Who loving cares that China didn't see it. They didn't go see Dredd.

There's more to come and that's that.

I've even seen its fans using it, so.

If certain posters can consistently get every character in a movie's name wrong, people can put up with this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wasn't it a joke in X-Men 2 that Scott played N'Sync music in his car? That was like 2003.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
What made the conflict in CS believable is neither side wanted to fight the other. Iron dude wanted to fight Cap's BFF, whom he thought was a terrorist, not Cap personally (although he did want to wipe the smug look off his face) and Cap wanted to defend his BFF. The audience could sympathize with both sides and their motivation was understandable and consistent with the characters as we know them. In BvS, Bats and Supes were manipulated into fighting each other to the point of straight up blackmail and the writers had to create a totally different, less heroic, Batman for it to make any sense at all. Horrible pacing didn't help either. Did we really need to see a slow motion scene of someone walking to a grave when the movie was already dragging on?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's still tons of boy bands out there. You just aren't a teenager anymore so the marketing isn't targeting you. One Direction is the only one I can think of off hand.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I don't actually know what those were, it's such a cultureless decade. The 90s have like, pogs and Pokemon and poo poo. What did people do during the early 2000s again? MySpace? PS2?

The X-Men must fight George W. Bush.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've even seen its fans using it, so.

If certain posters can consistently get every character in a movie's name wrong, people can put up with this.

Counterpoint: it comes off as super petty and childish, also it's real dumb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

The X-Men must fight George W. Bush.
If they defeat Apocalypse in this movie there won't be anyone to do 9/11 though....
branching timelines, deeeep

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If they defeat Apocalypse in this movie there won't be anyone to do 9/11 though....
branching timelines, deeeep

Eh, there are endless ways to do Mutant 9/11. They'd probably all end up being retreads of earlier films' themes, since Magneto is already Mutant Bin Laden.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I think its more that the majority of people making these movies haven't actually read any comics or know anything about the characters they are attempting to portray. They just make up their own poo poo based on an extremely loose interpretation of a wikipedia article. Movies with love and care put into them succeed, ala Deadpool.

remember, reading comic books is a hobby. anybody can do it, they just require interest in that particular medium.

that's a completely separate kettle of fish from whether or not you're a good filmmaker, just like reading lots of comic books is a completely separate matter from whether kevin smith can actually write worth a drat.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

There's still tons of boy bands out there. You just aren't a teenager anymore so the marketing isn't targeting you. One Direction is the only one I can think of off hand.

They are a more recent revival though.

What people think of when they think 'Boy Bands' in the 90s to 2000s, they're thinking of Backstreet Boys and Nsync and that dumb rear end war between them. Both groups pretty well ended in 2002, though Backstreet Boys came back off and on after about like, 3 years.

For the general public and pop world, boy bands pretty well died after that until One Direction came roaring in from the UK until they also fell apart here recently.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Honestly, if there's one thing that's genuinely impressive about Civil War, it's that it seems to have created actual anticipation for a third Spider Man reboot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love for it to be good.

I want it to be good.

Spider-Man is one of my favorite heroes ever with some of the best villains.

But you have two studios bearing down on it, wanting different things, you have ALL of the Sony gently caress ups that ruined Spider-Man 3 and the Amazing Duology, and you have a piss poor creative team actually trying to helm the film.

If the current director quit and we got new writers, this film's chances of being good would rise exponentially. I sadly don't see that happening. They got a light weight nothing of a director who they could boss around, and writers who have, together, accomplished dick all.

I really want this to be good. I do not believe for one second it will be.

Prove me wrong Homecoming.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Oh for the days when two good Spider Man movies was a gift from fate, instead of less than our proper due.

Now get off my lawn :argh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Burkion posted:

I want it to be good.

But you have two studios bearing down on it, wanting different things, you have ALL of the Sony gently caress ups that ruined Spider-Man 3 and the Amazing Duology, and you have a piss poor creative team actually trying to helm the film.

If the current director quit and we got new writers, this film's chances of being good would rise exponentially. I sadly don't see that happening. They got a light weight nothing of a director who they could boss around, and writers who have, together, accomplished dick all.

I liked Cop Car. I haven't seen Clown though. I mean, I prefer his filmography to the Ant-Man or Doctor Strange guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

I want it to be good.

Feige has already did that Marvel is making all of the decisions. He said Sony is producing a Marvel movie.

• Locked thread