Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Boogaleeboo posted:

Here's the thing though: That's only something that really gets out to the public after the opening weekend. Reviews are one thing, and sometimes they can be a solid barometer of how folks will react, but there are plenty of critically panned movies that made bank. So even if it was a poo poo movie, that wouldn't explain the opening week of BvS. It was preemptively uninteresting to that audience, and to some extent large sections of the world.

BvS had China's sixth largest opening day of all time, and it's largest 3-day opening ever. It then crashed 85%~ it's second week.

It died there because it's bad movie and had terrible word of mouth, just like everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Eh, there are endless ways to do Mutant 9/11.

For example, Juggernaut could hold the Twin Towers hostage during a fight with Spider-Man and X-Force the X-Men and then crash through the foundations with manic glee.

Ah, those carefree landmark-wrecking days of the 90s...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seemlar posted:

It died there because it's bad movie and had terrible word of mouth, just like everywhere else.

Bad movie is pretty subjective, though, considering that Transformers 4 is "a good movie" and had "good word of mouth" in China.

I doubt many people there read this subforum.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

McSpanky posted:

For example, Juggernaut could hold the Twin Towers hostage during a fight with Spider-Man and X-Force the X-Men and then crash through the foundations with manic glee.

Ah, those carefree landmark-wrecking days of the 90s...
what the gently caress is that inside his mouth.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Seemlar posted:

BvS had China's sixth largest opening day of all time, and it's largest 3-day opening ever.

.....that's just not true, a ton of movies beat the poo poo out of it on 3-day. Furious 7 was beastly in China, as was Age of Extinction. And, needless to say, Civil War had a higher 3 day total than it what with making more money in 3 days than BvS made in China, period. So unless BvS is hiding some of that special math that makes 50 something bigger than 90 something, it got hosed up.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TheFallenEvincar posted:

what the gently caress is that inside his mouth.

It's the opposite curve of his teeth, seen from the inner side, you know, as it's curving towards the back. I had to stare at it for a good few seconds to figure that out.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Boogaleeboo posted:

.....that's just not true, a ton of movies beat the poo poo out of it on 3-day. Furious 7 was beastly in China, as was Age of Extinction. And, needless to say, Civil War had a higher 3 day total than it what with making more money in 3 days than BvS made in China, period. So unless BvS is hiding some of that special math that makes 50 something bigger than 90 something, it got hosed up.

I just re-read the source for it and missed that it was Warner Bros biggest three day opening there specifically.

The point isn't changed though, that there wasn't some mystery behind it's bad performance there and outside the US. It had big openings and tanked in it's second week.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I meant the yellow gak but I guess Juggs would have pus for saliva

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Uh oh guys, not only is X-Men: Apocalypse not getting terribly great reviews, it looks like its time for another round of "What the gently caress does 'more fun' mean?" This courtesy of Uproxx.

quote:

Woe is to be a mutant. It’s weird, the X-Men movies are often the franchise I’m the least excited about, but always walking away having enjoyed myself. But X-Men: Apocalypse was the first of the series (X-Men Origins: Wolverine never happened) where the world-weary mutants started to get on my nerves a bit with all of their whining. I get it: Life is hard for mutants. We all get it. It’s literally the only thing mutants ever seem to talk about. It is odd that other superheroes seem to get to have some fun, but never the X-Men.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Basic bitches.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"More fun" means "more quips, fewer consequences".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Dark Knight was a blast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Or poo poo, Spider-Man 2 is incredible. It's fun and has some real weight to it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

TetsuoTW posted:

"More fun" means "more quips, fewer consequences".

Not even that, really. The Dark Knight shared a lot with BvS; relatively few straight jokes, lots of symbolism, more drama than action on the balance, and a grim consequence-laden story, etc.

If one thing really set TDK apart from BvS or even the other Nolan Batmans, it was Ledger's performance as The Joker. It was terrifying, but also fun and serious all at once. It's not often that a performance is credited with contributing to an actor's death on a psychological level. It's not a shock that they're going for a totally different tone for the character now. Affleck can step right into the role of Batman and knock it out of thr park, but it'll be awhile before anyone can play the role dramatically again and not be lost in Ledger's shadow.

Also the action sequences were really good and broke up the talking bits very effectively.

Broadly speaking, Batman vs The Joker is the architypical Batman story. Batman vs Superman is a popular match-up for fans to debate, but it requires a lot of set-up and/or one or more characters to act out of character. Even in Miller's Dark Knight Returns, neither character wants to kill the other, and that's the climax of a long-rear end story. And, well, it's also the architypical pointless nerd debate.

Whatever you think of BvS, it seems clear that Snyder's take on it isn't resonating with the public. Maybe it'll win out as a cult classic with the director's cut, or even be redeemed it the way Blade Runner's did.

Or maybe the film will amount to a 2.5-3 hour ad for Justice League.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boogaleeboo posted:

Here's one thing I don't get: Why is Captain America so popular in China/Why was Batman v Superman so unpopular? Civil War just opened in China and did $95.6M, more than BvS has done in it's entire run there. What makes it so appealing, or what made BvS so unappealing? They fundamentally have the same basic plot, and it's all pretty white people slamming dicks together. Why was one so instantly and quickly well received while the other was wet fart noises?

Avengers: Age of Ultron did really well in China but Man of Steel did really poorly and didn't even crack the top 50 highest grossing films in China list. MoS's reception would have played a big part in making BvS so unappealing for Chinese audiences.

Also I guess Superman and Batman just aren't that much of a draw in China? The pop culture zeitgeist in that part of the world would be significantly different than in the US so characters that have been ubiquitous throughout all types of media for over half a century in the US might just seem old fashioned and stodgy in China if they're coming at them with fresh eyes and without 70 years of nostalgia.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well there's the thing. Beavis doesn't HAVE much spectacle. The biggest action sequences are only a few minutes long or loaded into the back end. The rest is a really dull investigation and people being ponderous.

You can say a lot that's negative about the Transformers movies, but they're not wanting for spectacle.

Yeah, this too. The Hollywood films that made the most bank in China were Furious 7, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Zootopia, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Jurassic World. The common theme there is that they're packed full of fun action sequences.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 10, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, this too. The Hollywood films that made the most bank in China were Furious 7, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Zootopia, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Jurassic World. The common theme there is that they've packed full of fun action sequences.
Anthro characters, dinosaurs, robots and any combination of them too. I don't know how Furious 7 fits in there.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Capitalism vs patriotic idealism is also a pretty resonant theme in China, from my understanding of Chinese society. Maybe more so in China, where the ideals are "world Communist revolution" and the reality is naked internal exploitation and growing (rather than collapsing) capitalist hegemony.

Also the Chinese middle class isn't terribly different from America's. They want action, quips, and escapist spectacle just like we do, for similar reasons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

I don't know how Furious 7 fits in there.

I haven't actually seen any of the Fast and Furious films so I have no idea why Furious 7 did so amazingly well (it grossed more than $1.5 billion, it's one of only 6 films to ever get that distinction) but I have heard people jokingly describe it as a superhero film

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The MSJ posted:

Bad movie is pretty subjective, though, considering that Transformers 4 is "a good movie" and had "good word of mouth" in China.

I doubt many people there read this subforum.

Transformers is a really strong franchise in China though, both the toys and the cartoons. And Bay went to a lot of effort to pitch to China, including filming there, hiring local actors, etc. Arguably Transformers is the exception, not BvS.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yoshifan823 posted:

Uh oh guys, not only is X-Men: Apocalypse not getting terribly great reviews, it looks like its time for another round of "What the gently caress does 'more fun' mean?" This courtesy of Uproxx.

You know, if the X-Men are an allegory for minorities, LGBTA individuals, the neurodivergent, or other minority groups, they SHOULD be fun. Or else they're saying the experience of being different is all about suffering and people hating you.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

I haven't actually seen any of the Fast and Furious films so I have no idea why Furious 7 did so amazingly well (it grossed more than $1.5 billion, it's one of only 6 films to ever get that distinction) but I have heard people jokingly describe it as a superhero film

It IS a superhero film these days. The characters all basically have uniforms, they're just not spandex, they're poo poo like a hoodie and a Skyline, or a wife beater and a American Muscle Car.

It's a series that does pretty much the same thing the Marvel Cinematic Universe does, except without solo character focussed movies. It builds up characters that people can invest in, and then gives the audience what they want from the movies, namely sexy cars, men and women, and over the top action.

It helps that it has a diverse cast of characters, which seems to reflect in the fact that it does really well everywhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know, if the X-Men are an allegory for minorities, LGBTA individuals, the neurodivergent, or other minority groups, they SHOULD be fun. Or else they're saying the experience of being different is all about suffering and people hating you.

Yeah, I think "Jesus Christ why the gently caress would anyone want to be a mutant in these movies" is a valid criticism for a movie not explicitly setting out to tell a story about that kind of alienation and suffering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

remember, reading comic books is a hobby. anybody can do it, they just require interest in that particular medium.

that's a completely separate kettle of fish from whether or not you're a good filmmaker, just like reading lots of comic books is a completely separate matter from whether kevin smith can actually write worth a drat.

Not true, Kevin Smith also writes terrible comic books.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

K. Waste posted:

people didn't go to see Batman v Superman because the marketing campaign didn't successfully manufacture groundbreaking desire to see batman and superman fight, and because the film itself overtly subverted that premise.

the movie shares the exact same 'choose your team' marketing campaign with Civil War, but there is no 'team' in the movie. bruce wayne is wrong, clark kent is a christ figure. the movie takes two classic figures of american pop culture altruism and portrays them as grimly opposed to each other by fate, in a scenario where one has to die, and another has to lose.

there is no such pretense or tone of ideological instability in the MCU movies, so Civil War accurately comes off as more 'bipartisan' and, thus, 'fair & balanced.' choosing your team is meaningless, people subversively take the twitter to nominate 'independent' teams for team black panther and team marvel girl or something. everyone has a seat at the table, it's accessible liberal capitalism at its most refined.

This is a good post. I like this post.

Just from the marketing, it's not some mystery why Civil War would run on Batman v Superman. The latter was a dark, serious, grumbly, moody slog where the two heroes hate each other and frown in the rain. The attempts to liven up the trailers with evil Zuckerberg don't do much to contradict that, because that feeling so permeates the movie. "Do you bleed?"

Then you look at Civil War, where a billion characters in distinct, vibrantly colored suits line up for the tag-team match and start play-fighting. It's branded, like NASCAR, and everyone gets their "thing" in there: shield throwing, ant-shrinking, web-slinging, laser blasting, wing-flapping. It encapsulates the conflict of its premise in a digestible and visual way that's GIF-able and applause-worthy.

It's a simple transaction, not reliant on Mature Themes and Big Questions. Of course it did better.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I think "Jesus Christ why the gently caress would anyone want to be a mutant in these movies" is a valid criticism for a movie not explicitly setting out to tell a story about that kind of alienation and suffering.

X-Men is about race. The whole point is to identify with the experience of minorities through a shared power fantasy.

Apart from being ideologically suspect in this context, defining the racial experience as one of alienation and victimhood isn't very much fun.

The opening of the first X-Men movie is powerful because you're identifying with a holocaust survivor losing his parents, but at the same time the anger and fear you're empathizing with manifests itself physically onscreen as a source of superhuman power. To be theoretically precise, this is loving awesome.

I haven't watched any since X3, but by then that had been reduced to characters being voluntarily sterilized and "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch." My impression is that it's been mostly downhill since.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hodgepodge posted:

My impression is that it's been mostly downhill since.

Not even close, First Class and Future Past are both very solid movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

The first few films in the series are nothing special, but Fast Five and the sixth one are legit good action movies in my opinion. They are less about racing cars and more like over-the-top heist movies. If you like that kind of thing I definitely recommend them. Haven't seen 7 yet.

edit: To make this post comic book movie related, Spider-man's scenes in Civil War got me pretty excited for his next solo film. Tom Holland really nailed the part - he does the whole "Spider-man never shuts up when he's fighting" thing and really sells that he is babbling because he's nervous, not just because he's cocky or trying to be funny (although he is).

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 10, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

X-Men is about race. The whole point is to identify with the experience of minorities through a shared power fantasy.

Apart from being ideologically suspect in this context, defining the racial experience as one of alienation and victimhood isn't very much fun.

The opening of the first X-Men movie is powerful because you're identifying with a holocaust survivor losing his parents, but at the same time the anger and fear you're empathizing with manifests itself physically onscreen as a source of superhuman power. To be theoretically precise, this is loving awesome.

I haven't watched any since X3, but by then that had been reduced to characters being voluntarily sterilized and "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch." My impression is that it's been mostly downhill since.

Race, sexuality, any sort of discriminated-against minority.

Also, good lord X3 is the worst. You should really give First Class/DoFP a try, they're much better and First Class pretty much ignores the previous movies.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Also most of its cast.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Daveski posted:

The first few films in the series are nothing special, but Fast Five and the sixth one are legit good action movies in my opinion. They are less about racing cars and more like over-the-top heist movies. If you like that kind of thing I definitely recommend them. Haven't seen 7 yet.

7 is on HBO GO right now. You should watch it. Everyone should

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
FYI my spouse teaches high school kids how to write and so a lot of the times her writing prompts are "what I did over the weekend". A bunch of her kids saw Civil War and only a handful liked Spider-Man. The thing she got told most was that he was "annoying". WTF?

Anecdote is not data, not a large sample, blah blah blah you know the drill. But still. Annoying? That's, like, his shtick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Annoying" is a character trait, that's not bad unless you think every character has to be likeable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Annoying" is a character trait, that's not bad unless you think every character has to be likeable.

Her kids didn't like him. He was described as "annoying". It's high school kids struggling to write, though, so keep that in mind.

I personally liked him a lot.

BTW their favorite character seemed to be Black Panther by a mile. And these are a bunch of crackers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean kids usually like projecting themselves into cool older characters and not the younger ones, right? Everyone wants to be a batman but not Robin? So maybe babby voice Spider-Man is less of a hit whereas everyone would wanna be Black Panther

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Everybody likes the character who doesn't talk and just kicks rear end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I mean kids usually like projecting themselves into cool older characters and not the younger ones, right? Everyone wants to be a batman but not Robin? So maybe babby voice Spider-Man is less of a hit whereas everyone would wanna be Black Panther

I think this is probably pretty on the nose. Most of us here are (I'm assuming) adults, and able to look back on that awkward, dorky time in our lives with pleasant nostalgia, and can retroactively relate to Pete. To someone who's a teenager now, Spidey probably hews a bit too close to their truth.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Her kids didn't like him. He was described as "annoying". It's high school kids struggling to write, though, so keep that in mind.

I personally liked him a lot.

BTW their favorite character seemed to be Black Panther by a mile. And these are a bunch of crackers.

He's supposed to be their age and, more or less, someone they might know. They're going to be more in touch with "kids these days, right?" dialog and actions than us old farts who are already transitioning into the desire for pristine lawns devoid of damned kids.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You guys already said it, but my mental reaction to that was 'of course high school kids think he's annoying, he's a popular center-of-attention high school kid by way of sarcasm and shrill class clownism.' That archetype isn't cool if you're dealing with it daily in real life.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Here's the thing though: That's only something that really gets out to the public after the opening weekend. Reviews are one thing, and sometimes they can be a solid barometer of how folks will react, but there are plenty of critically panned movies that made bank. So even if it was a poo poo movie, that wouldn't explain the opening week of BvS. It was preemptively uninteresting to that audience, and to some extent large sections of the world. Conversely they just accepted Civil War instantly. You can say that BvS being a poo poo movie is why it didn't take off after release in large sections of the world, but the fact it never took off is something else entirely. The reason I bring up China is it's a fairly large market that seems to just eat up big budget spectacle flicks, even moreso than a lot of foreign markets, but it does to some extent apply to most of the world. There was no reason that movie should have so instantly been rejected that I can think of, and yet it was.

This is has already probably been addressed but audience's don't really respond to the quality of a movie itself, they respond to the quality of the previous movie in the franchise. Marvel has built a dependable brand that audiences can trust will deliver what they are looking for. Transformers too, which delivers bombastic noise blaring destruction-athon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I haven't seen Civil War yet but does Spiderman have cool hair and cool shoes and say things like "hey man"?

• Locked thread