Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i dropped 30 frags by the end of the first half in the only game i played today and we still lost 16-6 because the three people playing A apparently couldn't hold it for some reason.

we started on CT.

it also didn't help that on T side they were just endlessly baiting one another.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Alighieri posted:

stopped watching summit

stopped reading here, you have my full approval already

it was funny when summit was trying to talk poo poo about msl even though he hasn't done anything even remotely relevant in CS for at least the last seven years

also reminder that summit went 1-1 in open playoffs, and iirc he was never even in #1g back when 1g was relevant

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

online friend posted:

it also didn't help that on T side they were just endlessly baiting one another.

:suicide:

If it makes you feel any better I play with retards, every game, all the time.

I got yelled at this morning for second guessing the guy calling strats. He would literally run onto a site and as he's doing it he'd tell us to throw smokes. He'd die seconds later and then yell at us that the smokes weren't up :psyduck: I assumed he was throwing because god. drat.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

fennesz posted:

If it makes you feel any better I play with retards, every game, all the time.

I got yelled at this morning for second guessing the guy calling strats. He would literally run onto a site and as he's doing it he'd tell us to throw smokes. He'd die seconds later and then yell at us that the smokes weren't up :psyduck: I assumed he was throwing because god. drat.

It's always fun when the dumbest person on your team is the loudest and calls stupid as poo poo things at every round.

It's almost a rule in solo queing.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

OxySnake posted:

It's always fun when the dumbest person on your team is the loudest and calls stupid as poo poo things at every round.

It's almost a rule in solo queing.

i've been recently trying to encourage people not to rush on pistol rounds because it usually doesn't work very well- imo pistol round is "get a pick and work off of it", same way every team i ever played on in 1.6 played them.

for some reason people have this really stupid belief that you have to rush a site on pistol and that it's impossible to work picks on any round that isn't a gun round or an eco round? where did this idea come from?

i said this once and some guy called me an idiot because he had more MVP stars than me? :confused:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

online friend posted:

i said this once and some guy called me an idiot because he had more MVP stars than me? :confused:

Well that's the other half of the "Loudest person calling strats" coin in MM.

Points / MVPs = Skill / Knowledge

I loved it yesterday when a person who called one team member "loving trash" after 3 rounds in MM when he was 3 1 3 and the "Trash" player was 0 2 3.

By the time we won 16-10 the trash man top fragged and the other was in 3rd place.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

online friend posted:

i've been recently trying to encourage people not to rush on pistol rounds because it usually doesn't work very well- imo pistol round is "get a pick and work off of it", same way every team i ever played on in 1.6 played them.

for some reason people have this really stupid belief that you have to rush a site on pistol and that it's impossible to work picks on any round that isn't a gun round or an eco round? where did this idea come from?

I think the supposed reason is essentially that usp-s is better for picking than glock, but really it's because at least 2 dudes are going to rush regardless. I tend to call a rush because if I call first we at least have a better chance of all ending up rushing together, towards the place we got a good spawn for. Also it makes it more likely for you to get bomb money even if your team is bad, because bomb is less likely to go off and die stupidly alone and leave 1 dude at an empty site with bomb down other side of the map.

There is nothing wrong with a smart non-rush call though, assuming you know you are not playing with baddies.

E: Why yes, I do solo queue. How could you tell?

surc fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 9, 2016

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

surc posted:

I think the supposed reason is essentially that usp-s is better for picking than glock, but really it's because at least 2 dudes are going to rush regardless. I tend to call a rush because if I call first we at least have a better chance of all ending up rushing together, towards the place we got a good spawn for. Also it makes it more likely for you to get bomb money even if your team is bad, because bomb is less likely to go off and die stupidly alone and leave 1 dude at an empty site with bomb down other side of the map.

There is nothing wrong with a smart non-rush call though, assuming you know you are not playing with baddies.

E: Why yes, I do solo queue. How could you tell?

picking with glocks is just fine if you shoulder peek and play smart instead of just running straight up cat on d2, because that kid sitting mid is always going to hit the shot of his life on you

USP was the same way in 1.6, it was an easy "click to get headshots" weapon, but that didn't change the way we played our strats on T side

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

online friend posted:

picking with glocks is just fine if you shoulder peek and play smart instead of just running straight up cat on d2, because that kid sitting mid is always going to hit the shot of his life on you

USP was the same way in 1.6, it was an easy "click to get headshots" weapon, but that didn't change the way we played our strats on T side

it's still easier to pick with the USP/P2K.

Also, the glock in this game has crazy good movement accuracy. GO also has brutal vertical aimpunch which is a big factor if CTs bought any utility at all. These two combine into glock being most effective when you close the distance and spam your shots. This all encourages a glock train strat.

Now, a smart team will do a contact play, or use utility to get close up. But you're likely not getting that in solo-queue, so a rush it is.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

dex_sda posted:

it's still easier to pick with the USP/P2K.

Also, the glock in this game has crazy good movement accuracy. GO also has brutal vertical aimpunch which is a big factor if CTs bought any utility at all. These two combine into glock being most effective when you close the distance and spam your shots. This all encourages a glock train strat.

Now, a smart team will do a contact play, or use utility to get close up. But you're likely not getting that in solo-queue, so a rush it is.

the glock and USP behave almost the same way as they did in 1.6 though? USP is better for long range tapping, glock is better for close range spam

new guns, same as the old guns

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

online friend posted:

the glock and USP behave almost the same way as they did in 1.6 though? USP is better for long range tapping, glock is better for close range spam

new guns, same as the old guns

not to the same extent. The difference is more pronounced than in 1.6, and it makes picking with the glock really risky.

I mean it changes if you're in invite but I've seen my friend play smfc/global games in 5 stacks and it was usually a contact play turning into a glocktrain. It's just really effective in GO. When you're playing a pug a good rush is the easy play with a reasonable possibility of success.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 9, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

You did give me a good CT side idea though. Molly + flash buy and just throw the molly in a chokepoint. After all, everyone rushes the T pistol, and no one expects a molly buy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Doing a contact play where everyone sticks together usually results in a bomb plant even if you get owned in the post plant situation, whereas going for picks can backfire and leave you in a spot where you're unable to just easily train into a site with your superior numbers

That said, to a fault my team almost always goes contact on pistol rounds and we've for instance been owned several times doing contact B on mirage where a molly just decimates our push before we can even get out of apps

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Bohemian Nights posted:

That said, to a fault my team almost always goes contact on pistol rounds and we've for instance been owned several times doing contact B on mirage where a molly just decimates our push before we can even get out of apps

Nothing kills a B Rush more than needing to wait for a molly. It's the worst.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

Doing a contact play where everyone sticks together usually results in a bomb plant even if you get owned in the post plant situation, whereas going for picks can backfire and leave you in a spot where you're unable to just easily train into a site with your superior numbers

my problem is it never fails that the one guy we choose to rush has godlike aim, but only on the pistol round and ends up dumpstering my entire team like a bunch of silvers

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
my counter strike kryptonite is every round where my opponents have rifles instead of pistols

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Took me forever to get to my 10 wins. Had a nice roll going this weekend until yesterday when I needed one win and dropped 3 in a row, top of my team each game. Best match had 2 very vocal teens on the team who constantly berated me for being terrible even though I was the only one with plants, defenses on those plants, and was pretty well ahead of them. They nearly vote kicked me after a round where they immediately died and then I didn't carry the round. Solo queuing is so bad.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i think a lot of the time the issue is (a) everyone lines up and gets owned or (b) whoever ends up on entry [i.e. you] gets one-tapped and everyone else falls back and gets boxed in instead of trading

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Antares posted:

whoever ends up on entry [i.e. you]

i swear to god my team purposely slows down in every loving game so they can bait each other into entry fragging

they will take the longest route to a place just so someone else has to do it

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

online friend posted:

i swear to god my team purposely slows down in every loving game so they can bait each other into entry fragging

they will take the longest route to a place just so someone else has to do it

as an mg2, i have no issues being baited because i usually take the point because baiting is actual viable strategy to win site control but ymmv.

3.25/400dpi

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

ya in that sitch you get the kill and the other CT kills you so your team run away

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Antares posted:

ya in that sitch you get the kill and the other CT kills you so your team run away

most of the time a trade favors the terrorists and letting the cts spread out/play more aggressive leads to easier site takes and easy picks so i'm still ok with this

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smithereens posted:

as an mg2, i have no issues being baited because i usually take the point because baiting is actual viable strategy to win site control but ymmv.

3.25/400dpi

shaddup dude im dmg and im 20x better than u and im a higher rank so u cant give me any critisism about how i play until u are quantifiably better than me and u suck and are wrong

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Demostrs posted:

shaddup dude im dmg and im 20x better than u and im a higher rank so u cant give me any critisism about how i play until u are quantifiably better than me and u suck and are wrong

dam son after getting owned that hard i officially quit counter-strike gg

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Smithereens posted:

3.25/400dpi

c'mon buns, you and I both know that it really only works when you have players who have a clue about what they're actually doing and can think. In the lower ranks it has to be a veritable shitshow of baiting with zero trades when a smurf isn't involved.

That's one thing I have never understood about players in this game: why the hell are they so afraid of dying? It's an all or nothing situation every single round. Make a plan and go in there and get some kills for gently caress sake. So many people are timid because they don't want to have to sit for a minute or so if they're dead.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

c'mon buns, you and I both know that it really only works when you have players who have a clue about what they're actually doing and can think. In the lower ranks it has to be a veritable shitshow of baiting with zero trades when a smurf isn't involved.

it really isnt rocket surgery. it's common sense and should be covered under the common core curriculum in school. two targets are harder to kill than just a single target especially if the first target can get information on where the shooty man is. it's simple triggernometry.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Antares posted:

i think a lot of the time the issue is (a) everyone lines up and gets owned or (b) whoever ends up on entry [i.e. you] gets one-tapped and everyone else falls back and gets boxed in instead of trading

This is why I always suggest strats that require a team commitment even if things go wrong. Waterfalling into Mirage A site or Cobblestone's drop are good examples. Even if you eat poo poo right after getting an entry, your team still committed to the strat and there's no way out other than to kill your way to the site.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

when i look at the ground i see ants and i wonder how they even exist why they even exist. the same thoughts i have about noobs.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

fennesz posted:

This is why I always suggest strats that require a team commitment even if things go wrong. Waterfalling into Mirage A site or Cobblestone's drop are good examples. Even if you eat poo poo right after getting an entry, your team still committed to the strat and there's no way out other than to kill your way to the site.

blah blah death ground blah blah sun tzu

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Smithereens posted:

it really isnt rocket surgery. it's common sense and should be covered under the common core curriculum in school. two targets are harder to kill than just a single target especially if the first target can get information on where the shooty man is. it's simple triggernometry.

lol @ this tryhard poo poo post

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I used to think the worst thing was getting people who just ran around not calling strats, I now know the worst thing is a team that all thinks they're global, when they're nova.

E: It's my bad though, I really just need a voice_enable 0 bind. I just keep thinking maybe I'll get a teammate who is useful with callouts :(

surc fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 10, 2016

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

they're just in elo hell because your bad and wouldn't drop them an awp

surc
Aug 17, 2004

"THEY'RE ALL B, THEY'RE ALL B!" *starts rotating, gets shot by 2 guys at long*

"HE'S TO YOUR LEFT, YOUR LEFT" *can't hear footsteps over callout, guy comes from my right*

1v3 *team starts chatting about a skin loudly*

x1000

E: The moral is team dragging me down, I should be global

surc fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 10, 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
why would you ever gimp yourself with voice_enable 0 is beyond me aside from possibly clutch moments

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ArfJason posted:

why would you ever gimp yourself with voice_enable 0 is beyond me aside from possibly clutch moments

I think surc just gave you examples why? But who knows I'm a lovely MG1

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fyallm posted:

I think surc just gave you examples why? But who knows I'm a lovely MG1

the chances of missing genuine intel and strat calls even if they dont happen often is not worth it at all for the couple rounds you might have had enemy gunfire/steps completely muted by loud teammates

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ArfJason posted:

the chances of missing genuine intel and strat calls even if they dont happen often is not worth it at all for the couple rounds you might have had enemy gunfire/steps completely muted by loud teammates

This is why I don't have one, but playing MM has made me start thinking about it, because for the last few weeks it hasn't been "a couple rounds", it's been all dang game, and they start raging and throwing tantrums if you ask them to be quiet even once.

And you better not even think about trying to make a single callout when you're dead if you've asked them to be quiet ever, or else it's getting glocked/knifed at the start of rounds and people shouting slurs at you all game. I'm puzzled because it's not even spring break or summer or anything AFAIK, so I don't know why it's been so bad lately.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 10, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Probably better off leaving voice_enable on and then just muting problem people. It's as simple as Tab, Right Click name, Block Communication. I've done it a handful of times, but tbh I rarely get tilted by people spouting off in CS. Usually it's somebody with a 1950s era Soviet microphone.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

I think this is probably true. Perhaps you can ask them to be quite more than once. Or in a nicer manner then 'SHUT THE gently caress UP' ( Not saying you are saying that but it happens). If I don't have time its usually 'shh shh shh' real quick if I do have time. Or the 'Please be quite guys unless you see something.'

Also, you in the GooNova group? We usually have 3-5 man stacks every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Jeza posted:

Probably better off leaving voice_enable on and then just muting problem people. It's as simple as Tab, Right Click name, Block Communication. I've done it a handful of times, but tbh I rarely get tilted by people spouting off in CS. Usually it's somebody with a 1950s era Soviet microphone.
This and binding a quickly accessible key to "toggle voice scale 1 0" in case some usually informative people are being too loud when you're trying to listen.