Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

"Bill Shorten will never be Prime Minister" - Negligent, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/730000459235090433

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 10, 2016

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
"CAAARRP" - Acting Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, 2 May 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
It's a tactic

The Tories wanted to scare people with the prospect of Red Ed being in the pocket of the SNP

In this case, the greens are the bogeyman

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Snod. posted:

Is a $6000 toaster actually code for a minimum wage employee to toast poo poo for you

Or get New Start interns and turn it into a -$6000/yr toaster.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Regardless of $6,000 toasters, I hate the perpetuation of the 'trickle-down economics' myth. Cutting company taxes doesn't necessarily lead to more jobs--companies don't hire people just because they've got extra money, they hire people if there is more demand for their products and services.

Giving welfare recipients or lower-income earners even a modest increase in income will result in more demand for products and services because, funnily enough, poor people need to buy things. E.g. if I had an extra $20/fortnight I might be able to go to the hairdresser more than once a year, and on a large scale this would increase demand for hairdressers, and would lead to more jobs in hairdressing!

If someone on a higher income received $20 extra a fortnight, they might invest the extra money in shares or put it towards their mortgage, but it'd have little difference to their spending habits in general. Tax cuts for the rich don't stimulate the economy to the same scale that they do for the poor.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

but if a poor person can buy one good pair of $200 shoes then they won't keep buying crappy $50 shoes every few months

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the poor person spends the money on goods or services, which are provided by businesses

so what you're saying is, we need to support businesses so they can provide things for us to buy

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Can you please all stop making fun of my local member the Hon. Kelly O'Dwyer.

Be honest, who posting in this thread DOESN'T have a 6k toaster? Goons are the bourgeoisie they pretend to hate.

I voted Greens

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

I wonder how Albo feels about being endorsed by the terrorgraph

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

probably hurts him with his base anyway, to fence sitting labor left/green voters it's like getting endorsed by the Völkischer Beobachter

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In the US former presidents have a secret service detail in retirement.

In Australia they look like their begging for a fare.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

"Qu'ils mangent de la pain grillé" - Kelly O'Dwyer, probably

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm not looking that up but it probably means let them eat toast

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

El Scotch posted:

In the US former presidents have a secret service detail in retirement.

In Australia they look like their begging for a fare.

Only 'Looks like'? .....Abbott is pretty renowned for being completely garbage with his money.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Mithranderp posted:

Regardless of $6,000 toasters, I hate the perpetuation of the 'trickle-down economics' myth. Cutting company taxes doesn't necessarily lead to more jobs--companies don't hire people just because they've got extra money, they hire people if there is more demand for their products and services.

Giving welfare recipients or lower-income earners even a modest increase in income will result in more demand for products and services because, funnily enough, poor people need to buy things. E.g. if I had an extra $20/fortnight I might be able to go to the hairdresser more than once a year, and on a large scale this would increase demand for hairdressers, and would lead to more jobs in hairdressing!

If someone on a higher income received $20 extra a fortnight, they might invest the extra money in shares or put it towards their mortgage, but it'd have little difference to their spending habits in general. Tax cuts for the rich don't stimulate the economy to the same scale that they do for the poor.

This cannot be stated enough. Welfare for low income earners is efficient economic stimulus.

Unfortunately the majority of Australians still believe that the Libs are the better economic managers, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

e: this, basically

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 10, 2016

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So hey, how do I vote while I am overseas?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Gorbash posted:

What you want to look at (assuming you're over 25) are the allowable time rules for Austudy. This is probably the link you want, but hunt around that part if it's not: http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/3/3/4/70

Does this sound like you?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah it does a bit, I'll give them a call this week when I can get two hours free to deal with their poo poo lol.

Also thanks gay picnic defence, I did speak to someone at the uni before I dropped out as I think they removed failed subjects due to sad brains so I might be able to use that to help me.

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 10, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Freudian Slip posted:

I wonder how Albo feels about being endorsed by the terrorgraph

Pretty happy considering he runs his own reds under the bed campaign against the greens

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pretty happy considering he runs his own reds under the bed campaign against the greens

Greens under the sateen?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birdstrike posted:

Greens under the sateen?

greens under the :pusheen:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Negligent posted:

good career move Jack, a Bachelor of Attendance is a one way ticket to a job at McDonalds

honestly i'd like to know what auspol superstar negligent works as

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Greens in my peen.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Greens in my peen.

You really should get that checked out, man.

UPDATE: Bernardi's off the top spot in SA. Birmingham is No 1.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 10, 2016

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Greens behind the scenes

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

honestly i'd like to know what auspol superstar negligent works as

But does he vote?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Skellybones posted:

But does he vote?

And if so, who, pray?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the lean mean green machine

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good news ScreamingLlama, former Democrats senator Andrew Bartlett is running for the greens in Queensland.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A crowdfunding campaign to "buy Duncan Storrar a toaster" has raised more than its $6,000 target after the Aussie battler became a social media sensation for his appearance on Q&A on Monday night.

There was an outpouring of support on social media with tweets including the hashtag #IstandwithDuncan and #DuncanforPM.

The Buy Duncan Storrar a Toaster crowdfunding campaign on GoFundMe was created by user Samuel Slammer Fawcett on Tuesday with a goal of $6,000.

"Hey — Duncan seems like a good bloke and every little bit of cash goes a long way," the campaign states.

"We reckon he deserves a bit of a helping hand so we've decided to buy him a new toaster.

"6 grand oughtta (sic) cover it. And if he has a little bit left over, maybe he can take his kids to the movies or something."

In the early hours of Wednesday, it had raised almost $8,000 with more than 360 donations made in eight hours.

Late on Tuesday night Mr Fawcett shared a campaign update: "Hey toaster lovers. Grab yourselves a piece of toast and watch this tick over 6K! By the time you read this we will probably have hit the goal."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't know which headline is more funny, the Albo one or Roger Rogerson saying he is a victim. Probably both cancel one another out.

Anidav posted:

A crowdfunding campaign to "buy Duncan Storrar a toaster" has raised more than its $6,000 target after the Aussie battler became a social media sensation for his appearance on Q&A on Monday night.

There was an outpouring of support on social media with tweets including the hashtag #IstandwithDuncan and #DuncanforPM.

The Buy Duncan Storrar a Toaster crowdfunding campaign on GoFundMe was created by user Samuel Slammer Fawcett on Tuesday with a goal of $6,000.

"Hey — Duncan seems like a good bloke and every little bit of cash goes a long way," the campaign states.

"We reckon he deserves a bit of a helping hand so we've decided to buy him a new toaster.

"6 grand oughtta (sic) cover it. And if he has a little bit left over, maybe he can take his kids to the movies or something."

In the early hours of Wednesday, it had raised almost $8,000 with more than 360 donations made in eight hours.

Late on Tuesday night Mr Fawcett shared a campaign update: "Hey toaster lovers. Grab yourselves a piece of toast and watch this tick over 6K! By the time you read this we will probably have hit the goal."
Dunno, I never really like one of charities like this. We shouldn't need to do stunts like his, Duncan and other lower income people shouldn't be penalised or put down because "they don't pay enough tax". And sure as poo poo shouldn't have to need to explain their situation to clueless politicians who have no idea what people are going through.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

quote:

Dunno, I never really like one of charities like this. We shouldn't need to do stunts like his, Duncan and other lower income people shouldn't be penalised or put down because "they don't pay enough tax". And sure as poo poo shouldn't have to need to explain their situation to clueless politicians who have no idea what people are going through.

It's good publicity for the plight of people like Duncan. Also it shows that people care.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm happy for him given the front page of the Australian is "ABC's budget 'victim' pays no net tax"

He's gonna need that money to sue.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Notorious Islamic preacher Musa Cerantonio is among five men arrested in Cairns over alleged plans to take a small boat to Indonesia and join Islamic State.

http://ab.co/1T81iHt

Now we're stopping boats both ways, apparently.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh look they even got them all wearing red shirts

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm a journalist, time to bash disabled people haha!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

I'm happy for him given the front page of the Australian is "ABC's budget 'victim' pays no net tax"

He's gonna need that money to sue.

The article doesn't even go into how much tax he pays.

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/fed...88348d1508811ef
Duncan Storrar, the audience member on national TV who railed eloquently against tax relief for the wealthy, pays no net tax and relies on Austudy payments after a difficult life marked by ill health.

Mr Storrar, 45, caused a social media storm on Monday’s Q&A on the ABC when he personalised the claim that it was unfair to give tax advantages to high-income earners rather than the working poor.

He told the panel he had been on the minimum wage all his life because he had little education and a disability, which he revealed yesterday was a decades-long ­battle with post-traumatic stress disorder triggered by sexual abuse.

Visiting his partner Cindy’s housing commission home in Geelong, about 80km southwest of Melbourne, where his daughters, Indica, 8, and Jakayla-Rose, 6, are raised by their mother, Mr Storrar said his life had been tough.

He and his wife are separated and he lives with his mother, sporadically working as a truck driver on $16 an hour and ­relying on a $520-a-fortnight ­Austudy ­allowance to survive.

But he was not seeking more handouts, just arguing for an ­increase in the $18,200 tax-free threshold so he could survive when he worked reduced hours because of his ­illness. “A lift in the tax-free threshold will change my daughters’ lives,” Mr Storrar said, adding that he wanted them to go to university.

Mr Storrar is studying youth work and mental health at a not-for-profit disability educator.

“I get $16 an hour (driving trucks) ... there is this whole level of people like me, we work below the radar, we don’t complain and there is a whole heap of things set up to make it really easy for people to exploit us,’’ Mr Storrar said.

“One of the things is if you leave a job, you automatically lose your payments for 12 weeks.”

He added that it was unfair that the wealthy were getting tax breaks and incentives to invest. Instead, he said the government should allow housing commission tenants to buy properties from the government with the fortnightly subsidised payments.

Mr Storrar, who is a disenchanted former Labor voter who thinks it is now in the same camp as the Liberals, said he was upset by the response of the panel to his question about why the rich were getting tax breaks.

Ai Group chief executive Innes Willox, a panellist, pointed out that Mr Storrar would pay little or no tax.

Mr Storrar described Assistant Treasurer Kelly O’Dwyer’s re­action — when she spoke about jobs and growth — as “disgusting”.

“Is that really what politicians think? Our country is not a business, it’s a country,’’ he said.

On ABC radio yesterday, Labor leader Bill Shorten said: “We understand, unlike Mr Turnbull, that a lot of Australians are doing it hard. That’s why we won’t go down the inappropriate path of providing a millionaire ... a $17,000 tax cut whilst people like Duncan get nothing in their tax and face harsh cuts.”

Comments are pretty awful too.

quote:

This stunt puts paid to the "fairness" argument once and for all. Mr Storrar receives housing benefits, Austudy benefits and pays no effective tax whatsoever.....yet wants more. He is a typical welfare parasite who has made poor life choices, yet wants those who contribute to this nation to support him. His life is portrayed by the ABC as tough! Apart from his spurious claim of an easily faked "disease" brought on by an unprovable catalyst. Rather than lift himself up by his bootstraps as most of us with "tough" lives have been forced to do; he's content to play the victim card. Storrar is a prime example of everything that is wrong with this nation today, and its spiralling plunge into the depths of welfare enablement.

[e: beaten]

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Of course he loving doesn't, he's on disability and minimum wage.

Nevermind that the paper publishing that doesn't pay any corporate tax hey?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There's that word again.

Bootstraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Anidav posted:

There's that word again.

Bootstraps.

It makes me furious that people don't understand that term at all. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is an impossible act and the term is meant to imply that something is unreasonably difficult bordering on impossible.

Conservatives have no self awareness re: irony.

• Locked thread