Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat The Champ first go, but it wasn't exactly a noble victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvWWk-V-8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's been covered many pages ago, but archdragon peak shows that a colorful Souls game would work. That blue sky was a breath of fresh air after dozens of hours of grim-dark dungeon trawls.

I have no doubts they could do it, bright fantasy refers too more than an aesthetic though, its like a tonal shift. Dark souls for instance is like the most dark fantasy you can get with apocalyptic themes and veins of hopelessness throughout but bright fantasy would be... DnD? Or anything very perky and upbeat... with unicorns and epic heroics

The fun part would be reconciling the hilarious idea of the peasant hero becoming the chosen one and saving the world with dark souls levels of difficulty.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

casual poster posted:

I need a good dex weapon that works well with a pyro build, I'm in the catacombs now if that's of any help. I know I can get the katana early in the game from that swordsman (no I haven't gone back to get it yet) and I know that if I infuse it with a sharp gem(?) it'll give me B scaling. Is that worth it? Is that my best option for where I'm at now?

Carthus Curved Sword is you want something 1h.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Kild posted:

Carthus Curved Sword is you want something 1h.

Yeah I'll have to look into that, thanks!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why did no one talk me out of halberds? They're slower, if not as slow as spears, have the same range, and do bad damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Why did no one talk me out of halberds? They're slower, if not as slow as spears, have the same range, and do bad damage.

Actually BK Glaive and Gundyr's Halberd are really good.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

lite_sleepr posted:

The Lucerne is great in this installment.

Edit: My main computer is coming back from the shop today, so I'm going to transfer my characters. Does it make sense that the save folder in appdata only has the one file? I figured it would be one file per character.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 10, 2016

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I made it through the end half of DS1 with an upgraded BK halbred. THey'll forever have a special place in my heart.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So uh is it weird that I feel bad for yhorm that his g round AOE fire attack doesn't actually do any damage to you? I feel like you really gotta be slippin to die to yhorm. Which I did about 4 times

lite_sleepr posted:

I tried to tell you like 500 pages ago

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 10, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
On the subject of parries, that seems to be one thing Sorcery has going for it. Pretty sure you can't parry farron flashsword, and it's basically a straight sword that you can pop into using at any point during your combo. Seems like a good "gently caress you" after the first two hits where there's usually a parry window.

I do think parrying damage should be reduced or that missing a parry should open YOU for a riposte, which might at least discourage spamming it or something.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

On the subject of parries, that seems to be one thing Sorcery has going for it. Pretty sure you can't parry farron flashsword

Yes you can.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

There's also the sacred bloom shield which just lets you parry magic in general.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hommando posted:

Yes you can.

what, how does that make sense? Since when can you parry a spell just cause it looks sword shaped? Well that considerably ruins the utility I thought it had. I guess point blank farron darts are the best you can do then for a magic parry punish, everything else is too slow.

Einwand posted:

There's also the sacred bloom shield which just lets you parry magic in general.

That just negates the spell damage though, it doesn't fling it back at you or open you for a riposte.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alan Smithee posted:

I tried to tell you like 500 pages ago

So.... about 4 hours ago? :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

craftsman hammer is legit one of the best pve weapons in the game

Digirat posted:

Use the grand lance found in heide's.

Nabbing these, thanks! Forgot they moved the grand lance actually.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hommando posted:

Yes you can.

its like the easiest straightsword to parry too because of the slower startup time and massive parriable hitbox

i wish they didn't nerf the castspeed on it so you could chain it infinitely again

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the invincible NPC glitch work on Cuculus? Locking Cornyx's set behind her was stupid.

Old post but yes it does. The easiest way to kill her off is to let the ballista shoot her, if there's no enemies around she won't chug estus to heal the damage.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Some quick weapon reports of stuff I've tested out in PVP:

Bandit's Knife: Awesome and fast bleed build. Very tricky to pull off though and easily punished if you get spam happy. Not the 1-hit crit riposte I would've liked but still, it's lightning fast and fun to quickstep.

Profaned Greatsword: Ridiculous leo ring R2 synergy and hits like a truck. Slow as balls but I was really starting to love it late last night on a quality build and I usually hate playing with UGS's.

Warden Twinblades: Of course you're gonna want to go bleed build for these but I find that you have to be very, very careful with your spacing and timing to get the combo off. More of a stylish weapon but major high risk if you whiff. The range isn't great either.

Storm Curved Sword: Didn't like it at all. Just didn't seem that good and the damage output felt underwhelming.

Carthus Curved Sword: Basically, it's the new Gold Tracer. Very fast running attack and amazing at catching people rolling. Excellent for chasing people down and run-arounders. Really strong weapon and I'm already starting to see a massive increase of players using it.

Onikiri and Ubadachi: Cool moveset but I just can't seem to get the best out of it. Super stylish but something just didn't click for me. Probably good with buffs but since I hate Katana's, I don't think I'll be using them much again.

Estoc: Still OP. R1 for days, low stamina usage, easily parried by good players - felt cheap.

Dragonslayer's Axe: Love it. LOVE IT. On my 40/40 build at +10 this thing absolutely wrecks people. The damage is insane, the moveset is faster than you think and I love the look of it. Has been my favourite weapon so far both in PVE and PVP.

Pickaxe: Looks baller but is just too slow for PVP. You need a very patient playstyle and considering the range, you're probably better off with the Spiked Mace or Great Club. Really wanted to like it but just the easiest thing in the world to dodge.

Witch's Locks: Second favourite weapon in the game. The range is ridiculous and the damage is perfectly reasonable on a Pyro build. It's very effective to baiting a rolling attack for parries / sacred flame and the two handed L2, like all whips, is a stun machine.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Harrow posted:

Leonhard's set and the Black Hand Armor are pretty nice and have good, swishy capes. Leonhard's mask would be pretty cool for a hollowed-out character to hide his grotesque visage, too.

That's exactly how my warden blade chatacter rolls. With the double slashing cross combo, it feels like I'm playing Bloodborne.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hommando posted:

Yes you can.

God that's dumb. It can pass through pillars and doesn't bounce off walls (because it's magic), but shields arbitrarily stop it dead? Can Soul Greatsword be parried?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hommando posted:

Yes you can.

Do you need a spell parry shield for that, or can a regular shield parry it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

Do you need a spell parry shield for that, or can a regular shield parry it?

regular shield, its technically parrying the catalyst. So if you have a long staff its easier to parry.

frytechnician posted:

Dragonslayer's Axe: Love it. LOVE IT. On my 40/40 build at +10 this thing absolutely wrecks people. The damage is insane, the moveset is faster than you think and I love the look of it. Has been my favourite weapon so far both in PVE and PVP.

Are you talking about the item from Creighton?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I am in love with the Drang Hammers for PvP. The L1 combo is amazing for two reasons:
- nobody expects that after a swing to one, then the other direction, is has a third part that smashes the hammers down for nice damage. They all come in running to "punish" my "careless" first two swings.
- if you do land the full combo, it's amazing damage and THE way to just murder those Estus chuggers.
Its L2 is also very nice because it comes out really quickly for a spin, has a delayed slam down if you want and therefore also catches people trying to close the distance after your "careless" spin attack, it also costs little FP and you can just do a few back-to-back.
Rolling L1s are of course greatly damaging because like with the Twinswords, you slam down both weapons. And the normal R1s are a quick and easy combo with decent damage. Only the R2s I haven't found much use for, and of course the range isn't great. But it's just amazing to punish R1 spammers, it's the first weapon I found which consistently kills katana users who are otherwise auto-lose for me.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

frytechnician posted:

Witch's Locks: Second favourite weapon in the game. The range is ridiculous and the damage is perfectly reasonable on a Pyro build. It's very effective to baiting a rolling attack for parries / sacred flame and the two handed L2, like all whips, is a stun machine.

I didn't know about this weapon at all, will have to go check it out. In all of my PvP'ing I've seen exactly one guy wielding a whip, though he was using it effectively trying to whittle away my last bit of HP when I was low. I found whips fun in DS2, caught many Bell Tower visitors off-guard.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So maybe this is a big order, but anyone possibly got a spare of or just a Creighton (Mirrah Chain) set they'd be willing to part with? I didn't actually know it was in here until now and both possible times I could've nabbed it I've screwed up. On PC and stuff if anyone would be up for it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Kild posted:

regular shield, its technically parrying the catalyst. So if you have a long staff its easier to parry.

Are you talking about the item from Creighton?

Yep. He drops it after you kill him when he invades shortly after the Yorshka bonfire outside where you get the bone shard.

Cultisto posted:

I didn't know about this weapon at all, will have to go check it out. In all of my PvP'ing I've seen exactly one guy wielding a whip, though he was using it effectively trying to whittle away my last bit of HP when I was low. I found whips fun in DS2, caught many Bell Tower visitors off-guard.

Trust me, I don't know why people aren't using whips more. I think they're great - the two handed L2 stuns for a multi hit combo up close and nabs people from afar, the standard attack is amazing for parry baiting, it has a long and fast snap on rolling attack and they're unparryable. The damage is so-so but that's really about it. Mix this move set up with the various nasty pyro spells you want (I personally choose Sacred Flame, Chaos Fireball, Flame Surge and Fire Whip) and you've got a mean-rear end build. I've won more or less 4/5 matches with it.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 10, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylIXhcVAP08
God drat it is nice to see another pyromancer that predicts player movements in PvP instead of run, stand still, aim, fire, roll, die.
ID the songs featured in the video please.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally starting back up after a long hiatus. Decided to start things off with some fashion souls. I might just stick with this outfit through the whole game, because it doesn't get much more cleric looking than this. I feel like some sort of super pope when I do a spinning attack with this massive cape.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I am in love with the Drang Hammers for PvP. The L1 combo is amazing for two reasons:
- nobody expects that after a swing to one, then the other direction, is has a third part that smashes the hammers down for nice damage. They all come in running to "punish" my "careless" first two swings.
- if you do land the full combo, it's amazing damage and THE way to just murder those Estus chuggers.
Its L2 is also very nice because it comes out really quickly for a spin, has a delayed slam down if you want and therefore also catches people trying to close the distance after your "careless" spin attack, it also costs little FP and you can just do a few back-to-back.
Rolling L1s are of course greatly damaging because like with the Twinswords, you slam down both weapons. And the normal R1s are a quick and easy combo with decent damage. Only the R2s I haven't found much use for, and of course the range isn't great. But it's just amazing to punish R1 spammers, it's the first weapon I found which consistently kills katana users who are otherwise auto-lose for me.

If you're good with parries, any time a katana users or straight sword user is spamming, it's super easy to parry the third hit (if you can tank the damage). That said, I find it's easier and safer to either wait for quick draws or just bait people into attacking and countering with a charge shot. Ricard's Rapier might not be as good or have as much reach as the estoc, but it's charged thrust still does a number on people. Still haven't found a pvp use for the press and lunge, but then it seems like some weapon skills aren't so hot for pvp.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Got to Anor Londo last night. Felt kinda sad. :smith:
The cathedral's been mostly destroyed, slimes are falling all over the place, Aldritch is stinking up the back room, and our giant buddy from DS1 was killed.

Sidenote: Should I upgrade my weapons to fight him? They're both +6 because I never came across any Titanite Chunks (Though I do have a slab from Siegward), so both my Scythe and my Estoc are at +6.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Halberds are one of the best weapon classes in the game for PvP. In PvE they have a few problems with not doing enough poise damage to certain enemies for their speed, but their range generally makes up for it.

For people complaining about parries (pulled off reddit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmWiQawWqo

I've been telling people this stuff for a while -- if you're up against somebody with a parry tool, you need to change how you play. Don't expect to engage them like the Dark Sword R1 spammers you're used to fighting and win.
If you get parried, you got outplayed. Parry spamming/fishing is incredibly easy to counter, because the fastest way to lose in Dark Souls PvP is to be predictable. If you're getting parried, you're probably being predictable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
You know hose basement knights that crawl on all fours?

gently caress em

Fock every single one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress em

Fock every single one

I'm absolutely terrible at fighting those guys. The one in the Grand Archives killed me more times than any boss other than Nameless loving King.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I'm absolutely terrible at fighting those guys. The one in the Grand Archives killed me more times than any boss other than Nameless loving King.

But he's so easy there. Just slowly walk 2 minutes up behind his back, charged R2-R1 RUN RUN RUN RUN ok he's reset.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

lite_sleepr posted:

The Black Knight Halberd, Gundyr's Halberd, and Winged Knight Halberd are all the best and in the same league as each other. Of those, the BKH from a pure AR standpoint is the weakest, lagging behind 30 or so points behind Gundyr's with minimum requirements in Dex, while Gundyr's and WKH are basically the exact same AR as one another (WKH is better by like...six points refined, and slightly inferior if Heavy). Of those, the earliest one you can get is from the fat halberd knight before Vordt or the Dancer.

Halberds are cool and good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cultisto posted:

But he's so easy there. Just slowly walk 2 minutes up behind his back, charged R2-R1 RUN RUN RUN RUN ok he's reset.

I do not have the patience to use tactics

lite_sleepr posted:

You gotta use the special ones, though apparently the Red Hilted Halberd is pretty sweet for PvP.

The Twinkling Titanite and boss soul halberds are almost universally awesome. Gundyr's Halberd, Black Knight Glaive, and the Dragonslayer Swordspear (which acts like a Pike one-handed and a halberd two-handed) are all fantastic weapons.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress em

Fock every single one

The one in Lothric Castle is easy to kill since he can get caught on geography so easily. But I agree, they are probably the hardest enemies in the game. Super tough to parry too, since some of their attacks are so quick and have such large arcs.

Thinking about respeccing and playing around with the broadsword now. Looks like it might be fun to use, even if it lacks a thrust.

Also, even though I'm on NG+ and can get invaded by auto-summon covenants, I can never seem to get them to work myself (PS4). Kind of a bummer. Guess I'm stuck grinding drops.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Did you fight the dragon on the cliff? THAT is bad. For Storm King, you can (and definitely should) just hang out in front of him, not locked on, to see what he'll do. Lock on when he starts flying in a circle. For the dragon, you have to be in-between his legs and it's the worst loving thing.

Why do you think you have to be between its legs? Standing beneath it will cause it to use its flying breath attack. Just stand in front of its head.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm on NG++ right now and terribly overlevelled, am I screwed as far as collecting all pyromancies/miracles go? I'm assuming you have to collect all spells on the same character, my guy is somewhere around SL190 and I will never get summoned as a Darkmoon Blade. The wiki says Proof of Concords can be a rare drop from the silver knights in Anor Londo, but I spent a good 45 minutes farming them with item discovery equipment on and didn't get a single one, can't imaging getting the remaining 27ish I need.

On the flip side, while I can't really get summoned as a Blue anywhere, using Dried Fingers still works great. I probably farmed 600k souls yesterday doing nothing but group PvP in the Crux. Woods, a non-stop barrage of Watchdogs, Reds and Purples while getting backup from lower level Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades. Obscuring Ring in that area is hilarious as well. I actually tried putting down my soapstone to at least try to help someone else with PvP, but every time someone invaded he would lay down in the swamp and leave me to fend them off, so I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I repecced last night so I can wear the dragonscale set and wield the leather buckled and Yhorms's machete. Pvp is fun now. I was using a refined dark sword but it just doesn't have the reach for my playstyle.

I beat the NK on my 2nd try and then threw myself at the twins about 15 times before giving up and summoning a friend. The last boss is intense, I've had no luck so far. I'm dead set on doing him solo.