Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The objectively correct method?

Once they took the laugh track out of the show it was 1000X better, but removing it from the earlier episodes hosed with the timing - there'd be scenes of jokes being cracked and none of the cast reacting because they're meant to be taking the situation seriously, but a gap was left in for the audience to laugh.... only there is no laughter, so all that follows is this weird and kinda painful silence before Hawkeye would continue on talking.

That's how I feel when this guy Paul calls, he sits there and kind of robotically lists out the comedic things/situations going on in Chikara, allowing pauses for laughter/applause/reaction and more often than not it's just dead silence from Bryan and Mike because describing the situation alone doesn't really get across the fun that he is obviously getting out of initially seeing it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Hey, would I be out of line in suggesting that Jim from Virginia should have a show about women's wrestling?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Tr33 posted:

Hey, would I be out of line in suggesting that Jim from Virginia should have a show about women's wrestling?

No. They've even talked about it at some point. Jim is my favorite regular caller.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Jim is great, and I'm always creeped out by Ed from San Antonio. Mike asking about the furry stuff was hilarious though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bryan told someone to send in a mailbag question and to put "Bryan you promised you'd read this" in the subject line

He then immediately caught himself and was like AND NOBODY ELSE DO THAT OR YOU'RE BANISHED FOREVER

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Big Dave hyping up the next WOR

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/729758016803737600

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know it's only scratching the surface, but I think it'll be hard work to top the story about Vince McMahon going around to production companies and demanding a cut of their profits because they used a former wrestler of his in a show or something.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

I know it's only scratching the surface, but I think it'll be hard work to top the story about Vince McMahon going around to production companies and demanding a cut of their profits because they used a former wrestler of his in a show or something.

...you know, for being so bitter about his rich neighbors looking down on him for his lowly origins and carny business, Vince is remarkably dense about the fact that he does poo poo to deserve being looked down on.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sanguinia posted:

...you know, for being so bitter about his rich neighbors looking down on him for his lowly origins and carny business, Vince is remarkably dense about the fact that he does poo poo to deserve being looked down on.

Vince basically thinks he's Cecil B. DeMille and runs WWE like a movie studio in the 1930s, so of course he doesn't understand that the rest of the world has moved on and won't put up with the poo poo that goes on in wrestling. I think a lot of WWE's current creative issues come from Vince using his company to fence himself off from reality.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Vince basically thinks he's Cecil B. DeMille and runs WWE like a movie studio in the 1930s, so of course he doesn't understand that the rest of the world has moved on and won't put up with the poo poo that goes on in wrestling. I think a lot of WWE's current creative issues come from Vince using his company to fence himself off from reality.

Vince is actually John Ford because John Ford was way cooler.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MassRafTer posted:

Also racist.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

I only said Cecil because I'm pretty sure Vince would fire live ammunition at the people he's exploiting if an angle demanded it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Source your Hulk Hogan quotes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

I only said Cecil because I'm pretty sure Vince would fire live ammunition at the people he's exploiting if an angle demanded it.

Plus Vince would never make a cowboy movie. Too Southern.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

CombineThresher posted:

He'd demand people play Russian Roulette with him, after showing them him taking the first turn.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CombineThresher posted:

this reminds of the probably bullshit story about how Vince and Goldust convinced themselves that Goldust getting breast implants would be a good idea.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought it was Goldust who said he would and Vince was like :stare:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Plus Vince would never make a cowboy movie. Too Southern.

Vince spammed the company with hillbilly gimmicks until the late 1990s and made JBL the world champion even though he sucked, so perhaps he might.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Vince spammed the company with hillbilly gimmicks until the late 1990s and made JBL the world champion even though he sucked, so perhaps he might.

He billed JBL as from New York in those days.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That Fox News story was pretty good!

"If you let Phil on this show I'll walk! Now that we've established I won't let him on.... how come Phil isn't here? What a pussy!"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the Konnan shoot on MLW rules

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Vince's perspective seems to be based on the wrestling promoters when he grew up and started working with/against/ A perspective of "I'm not as carny/more of a legit businessman than old wrasslin' guys" is entirely accurate, but hits into problems when it turns into him thinking he's not carny at all. It's the same problem with Trips and Steph; they're legitimately better at putting up the professional front and working a modern business than Vince, but things like Steph's dumb philanthropy tweet show through that it's only true that they're good at that stuff in comparison, not that they're actually good at it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

He billed JBL as from New York in those days.

The man came to the ring in a limo that had bull horns while a triumphant cowboy hero song played

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aesop Poprock posted:

The man came to the ring in a limo that had bull horns while a triumphant cowboy hero song played

But he wasn't a hillbilly. He was rich. His gimmick was later stolen by Charlie Kelly to sell gasoline door-to-door.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

But he wasn't a hillbilly. He was rich. His gimmick was later stolen by Charlie Kelly to sell gasoline door-to-door.

JBL was never poisoned by his constituents at least.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't the bell ringing in JBLs theme supposed to be the new York stock market bells, though? I airways thought JBL's gimmick was a good ole country boy who went to the big city and got rich and is too good for the country anymore.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oatgan posted:

the Konnan shoot on MLW rules

I'm only halfway through but it's already a pro-click. Love that Meltz is there too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

Wasn't the bell ringing in JBLs theme supposed to be the new York stock market bells, though? I airways thought JBL's gimmick was a good ole country boy who went to the big city and got rich and is too good for the country anymore.

the very first thing that his titantron cuts to is a bunch of shots from the NYSE as the NYSE bells ring

Yes, his gimmick is in fact that he's a rich Texan rear end in a top hat

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Pisscast question: does Nikki really have the best body of all the female campers?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

the very first thing that his titantron cuts to is a bunch of shots from the NYSE as the NYSE bells ring

Yes, his gimmick is in fact that he's a rich Texan rear end in a top hat

Friendly reminder that JBL is still in fact a business talking head for fox news - I saw him on a Saturday morning as recently as a month or so ago

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jubs posted:

Pisscast question: does Nikki really have the best body of all the female campers?

sometimes dead is better, jubs

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

rotinaj posted:

His gimmick was "George W. Bush but successful in business." So kinda yeah.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

jbl renounced his texanness for heat that's it it has nothing to do with vince hating the south

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

sometimes dead is better, jubs

Why have Mommy and Daddy been sleeping for over a month?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jubs posted:

Why have Mommy and Daddy been sleeping for over a month?

Which one of oat or manflurry is mommy in this analogy

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Which one of oat or manflurry is mommy in this analogy

Let's find out.

Pisscast question: which one of you is the dead mother?

I got 'em! The only way they are legally allowed to answer the question is through the podcast. That's the law!

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Karmine posted:

His gimmick was "George W. Bush but successful in business." So kinda yeah.

I thought JBL was "J.R. Ewing but wrestling instead of oil"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan: And on WWE.com right now there's a picture of Homicide.
Sempervive: It's New Jack.
Bryan: Sorry, New Jack.
Sempervive: Jesus Christ....

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan: And on WWE.com right now there's a picture of Homicide.
Sempervive: It's New Jack.
Bryan: Sorry, New Jack.
Sempervive: Jesus Christ....

enough Bryan's latent racism, let's not gloss over the fact Bryan said there's gonna be a Jim podcast!

This better not be a fuckin' work Bryan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jubs posted:

Pisscast question: which one of you is the dead mother?

Please don't make us explain the concept of Queen Blappidy. It's a long and sordid tale.

• Locked thread