Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xealot posted:

He needs to become a Maester for the ancient order that essentially no longer exists. Lord Commander Edd and the 6 brothers that remain will be thrilled.

I hope Sam gets two ravens from Castle Black

"Dear Sam, Lord Commander Snow has been murdered by Alliser Thorne and a group of mutineers."

"Dear Sam, Please disregard last raven."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Even in the books I thought that sending Sam to the Citadel was a way to get him out and end his plot. But noooooo

Max
Nov 30, 2002

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

"Dear Sam, Lord Commander Snow has been murdered by Alliser Thorne and a group of mutineers."

Dear Sam,

Reports of my death are highly accurate.

Signed,
Lord Commander Snow.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

Didn't he say he wanted to be a wizard? Maester seems like it's halfway to wizard, like the one in King's Landing is clearly doing wizard stuff. So maybe they're following him so we can see his transformation into his dream, a beautiful wizard!

There is definitely going to be a plot about him delving in magics like all maesters do but it now actually working because magic's back in the world.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

NomChompsky posted:

Ian McShane has earned the right to be grumpy and tell anyone to gently caress off if he wants because HBO took away the best show with his best role ever and as much as I love Game of Thrones I would trade it all away for one more season of Deadwood.

I don't know I found that show redundant. Got is better IMO

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Sam will become a famous wizard, finding a cure for sea sickness and inventing hot pockets.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

You're redundant.

Also yes Sam is going to be a wizard and he's going to be instrumental in fighting the White Walkers and he's gonna be Dany's Master of Spells or whatever high level magic position exists in her small council and it's gonna own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turtlecrunch posted:

Didn't he say he wanted to be a wizard? Maester seems like it's halfway to wizard, like the one in King's Landing is clearly doing wizard stuff. So maybe they're following him so we can see his transformation into his dream, a beautiful wizard!

Book stuff if you care: Each maester has a different type of chain representing their area of study; there is one maester who has a valyrian chain who studies magic, Marwyn. And while magic was weak poo poo before the series started, he's becoming increasingly able to actually do things that are magical. Sam could take over his role in the show or could take over a similar role after he dies or something. On the other hand, the maesters overall don't believe in magic, and even seem to kinda push an anti-magic propaganda on the world, like they think magic is dangerous and chaotic and should be snuffed out. But Sam gonna sam.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Lmao "Jumped the gun on that last one; actually Alliser is dead and Snow is fine, don't ask."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Was there ever really a doubt that Sam would be a wizard?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Sam has certifiably had sex once though, unless you're applying the same metric to genitalia that people do to deaths such as Stannis and the Hound.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wait I'm drawing a blank when did Sam have sex?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

kiimo posted:

How does one forget the fat pink mast

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Even in the books, the so called Clegane-Bowl is hilariously unsupported. People want to bash action figure versions of the characters together in a climactic battle that just ain't gonna come. Sandor is in no shape to fight, and likely never will be. Even more so the way his fight with Brienne ended. It'd be thematically dumb too; Sandor is on a path towards peace and dignity for once in his life, and showing up in KL to try(and fail, because how does he win?) and kill his undead brother rips that apart. But keep on dreaming fanfolks.

The dream/vision Bran has foreshadows the Mountain's fate for sure, but it needs quite a bit of twisting to make it seem like a prophecy of battle.

The Hound wanted to kill his brother, sure. Brother Sandor we've yet to even meet.

edit. Quoting myself as this got lost on the bottom of page, and I'm still curious:

Maarak posted:

Outside of the scene this episode with the harpy woman and the scene with Shae at the end of season 3, has Varys had any scenes alone or not with someone in the principle cast?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kiimo posted:

Awkwardly, right after saving Gilly from rape.

Rewind to, was it Shae who was scolding Tyrion for thinking that a woman would want to sleep with him after he saved her from rape, when he told her his story about his father?

Good job D&D.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

He got laid last season but like most fat dorks in order to finally get laid he had to carry her poo poo around, save her from a white walker, adopt her baby, get beat up by a bunch of dudes and all this other stuff.

But he put the work in. Good job buddy you finally made it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

Even in the books, the so called Clegane-Bowl is hilariously unsupported. People want to bash action figure versions of the characters together in a climactic battle that just ain't gonna come. Sandor is in no shape to fight, and likely never will be. Even more so the way his fight with Brienne ended. It'd be thematically dumb too; Sandor is on a path towards peace and dignity for once in his life, and showing up in KL to try(and fail, because how does he win?) and kill his undead brother rips that apart. But keep on dreaming fanfolks.

The dream/vision Bran has foreshadows the Mountain's fate for sure, but it needs quite a bit of twisting to make it seem like a prophecy of battle.

The Hound wanted to kill his brother, sure. Brother Sandor we've yet to even meet.

edit. Quoting myself as this got lost on the bottom of page, and I'm still curious:

I think in ASOIAF the books Cleganebowl won't happen for the reasons you said, its too much something people want and not enough how GRRM actually builds his worlds.

Buuuuut GOT the show they're already changing all kinds of things for stupid reasons just to be cool or shocking, so if we're going to toss out the detailed worldbuilding then the least we can get in return is some action figure smashing. Lets go Cleganebowl lets go! :toot: :toot:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maarak posted:

And if it doesn't happen it will be a major failure on the part of hack writers Dee and Dee who only care about shocking viewers.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Buuuuut GOT the show they're already changing all kinds of things for stupid reasons just to be cool or shocking[...]

Bud, the books ain't all that different. The show has generally toned that stuff way down, and the worldbuilding you so love is threatening to choke the life out of the narrative.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

drat I totally forgot that scene.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Buuuuut GOT the show they're already changing all kinds of things for stupid reasons just to be cool or shocking, t:

No, no they're not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Great start to the season. I wish Ser Robert Strong Gregor would murder someone in the face already instead of just standing around looking intimidating.

Best part is the insane amount of sperg from this thread about disappearing dogs and the logistics of dual-wielding long swords. Jesus Christ.

e: VVV :lol: oops

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 10, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He's literally pushed someone's face into the back of their head already.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, anyone remember the terrible second Mountain in season 2 that no one actually realized was the Mountain for a while? Good times.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, anyone remember the terrible second Mountain in season 2 that no one actually realized was the Mountain for a while? Good times.

To be fair, that guy's voice was pretty terrifying when he went and picked Gendry while saying... "yyyYOUUUU!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Didn't most goons say they prefer Mountain 2.0 ?

(I guess zombie-Strong would be Mountain 3.0)

I thought it was silly they had to swap but didn't really matter since he'd only had a couple seconds of screen time. I just think the more characters they have to switch actors on the more sloppy it looks. Changing Berric didn't matter since he was barely even visible before, but changing Daario was a big deal.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Awkwardly, right after saving Gilly from rape.

Rewind to, was it Shae who was scolding Tyrion for thinking that a woman would want to sleep with him after he saved her from rape, when he told her his story about his father?

Good job D&D.

That was the main thing I thought of when that scene started too.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Then again, Gilly's been abused by her own dad since she was little and it shows in how it's acted out so...didn't seem too impossible that'd make her atypical of most women. Shae's just a funny whore imo in this case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's no one right way to behave after a sexual assault.

I mean, in a TV show they can stick to one idea or another but it's important that irl people don't think there's a normal way to act after a rape and people who aren't acting like that are lying or exaggerating.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I wasn't talking about irl people I was talking about fake people on the tv show Game of Thanes and the context it set down for its own scenes. Shae was dumb though.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The best Mountain would have first Mountain's crazy face, the second Mountain's voice, and the third Mountain's build.

The Mountain needs to appear crazy and unhinged.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zoux posted:

There's no one right way to behave after a sexual assault.

I mean, in a TV show they can stick to one idea or another but it's important that irl people don't think there's a normal way to act after a rape and people who aren't acting like that are lying or exaggerating.

This is definitely true, and there's at least one case I know of where some woman was raped and police convinced her she made the whole thing up because "she wasn't behaving normally for someone who has been through something traumatic" (What the gently caress is wrong with you, she's in shock)

But anyways that's a subject for another thread. I just thought it was funny the show went so far out of its way to say that and then later seemed to forget all about it :downs:

I'm not a huge fan of rape being used as a plot device and its probably for the best the show is kinda getting away from that, for reasons we've discussed previously.

turtlecrunch posted:

I wasn't talking about irl people I was talking about fake people on the tv show Game of Thanes and the context it set down for its own scenes. Shae was dumb though.

Yep yep

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Maarak posted:

On the other hand:

Finding out that Sandor finally got on the path to a decent life, only to watch Westerosi Al Swearengen and the High Sparrow manipulate him into taking up arms while spinning a bunch of bullshit about how the wicked must be punished and how sometimes we must sacrifice for the gods could be pretty compelling, not to mention heartbreaking.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 10, 2016

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
It would be more of a subversion if the Hound found, lost, and Cersei was freed and killed the High Sparrow or something herself.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

IMB posted:

The best Mountain would have first Mountain's crazy face, the second Mountain's voice, and the third Mountain's build.

The Mountain needs to appear crazy and unhinged.

This right here. First mountain had the perfect angry scowl & rage face. The second mountain sounded like he was born with twelve god drat testicles, so much bass!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mountain vs Wun Wun

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

The second mountain sounded like he was born with twelve god drat testicles, so much bass!
I watched that episode again the other day and this really stood out to me. Voice so deep, it's almost subterranean. :allears:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Second and third mountain are nothing compared to mountain-wan, best mountain. Second mountain looks like he's contemplating expert wood working. Third mountain looks like he enjoys jokes too much. First mountain looks mean as f.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Mountain vs Wun Wun
Wun Wun is a gentle soul who finds violence abhorrent.

Oh wait no, that's Hodor. Wun Wun would gently caress him up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Mountain vs Wun Wun

Wun Wun would wipe the floor with the mountain, I think. Mountain's only strength is his literal strength, he's monstrously strong, but compared to a giant that ain't poo poo.

He doesn't have any fancy footwork or speed that would give him an edge over Wun Wun.

Wun Wun shall rule the iron throne when everybody else is dead and buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just want a scenario where somehow this big epic fight is set up by their proxies, but through some circumstance it ends up having to be Cercei and the High Sparrow fighting each other with their bare hands.

• Locked thread