Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I always wondered why dealing with certain strings felt like loving garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Mike Ross Retweeted

*chokes back vomit*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know if 8f of lag is the deciding factor but the game is just slow because it's Street Fighter. They all are

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
It certainly doesn't help anything.

The only hope for it being fixed is that Ultra SF4 on the PS4 ALSO had fuckin 8f lag and was patched to be ~4. That one generated more outrage because capcom was pushing it as definitive and you could play it side by side with existing versions, rather than being a new game with that much latency.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How many frames are the flashes on hit and block that we need to react to?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

In Training posted:

I don't know if 8f of lag is the deciding factor but the game is just slow because it's Street Fighter. They all are

wrong

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

SF II is not a slow game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

super turbo is good and fast

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Pomp posted:

super turbo is good and fast

Not empty quoting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
guess what the H in HF stands for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Play Hyper Fighting, have fun.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A.o.D. posted:

guess what the H in HF stands for.

Hachi Frame

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
High Fructose

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I guess some lone genius at Capcom 25 years ago knew how to make a fun fighting game but that was a long time ago

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Well I guess some lone genius at Capcom 25 years ago knew how to make a fun fighting game but that was a long time ago

they all went to snk and the i guess died or something when snk went down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The story goes that capcom japan was furious when they found out the american office made the game fast against the lead designers orders

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

cvs2 was 15 years ago, is that better?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
They thought they had made Champion's Edition the perfect speed, supposedly giving people just enough time to react to stuff. Hacked SFII cabinets were making it even faster, which was cutting into Capcom's margins because the faster gameplay was just plain fun. Eventually they saw the light and made their own faster Street Fighter 2 editions

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dhamster posted:

They thought they had made Champion's Edition the perfect speed, supposedly giving people just enough time to react to stuff. Hacked SFII cabinets were making it even faster, which was cutting into Capcom's margins because the faster gameplay was just plain fun. Eventually they saw the light and made their own faster Street Fighter 2 editions

hyper fighting was made by americans in response to the speed and bs hacks and capcom japan hated the poo poo out of it and then made super and everyone hated that so they finally made st

tho i think alpha was a pretty good step in the right direction it seems after a2 they stopped giving a poo poo and went into nerfworld cvs2 was an accident or something

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Damnit we need blizzard to make a fighting game, it would get the appropriate amount of love and the story would be terrible, which is exactly par for the course for fg's. At first I was a little mad but now I think it's funny that a company can take one of the most beloved IPs in all video games and then release the game in a half-finished state.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

Damnit we need blizzard to make a fighting game, it would get the appropriate amount of love and the story would be terrible, which is exactly par for the course for fg's. At first I was a little mad but now I think it's funny that a company can take one of the most beloved IPs in all video games and then release the game in a half-finished state.

blizzards fighting game would just be sf5 but working

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

Damnit we need blizzard to make a fighting game,

Absolutely not

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Though now that i think about it overwatch is a pretty decent fighting game

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Right? its got great characters and locales and memorable abilities, all it needs is the fighting game part. Actually screw that, if it was an fg nobody would buy it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just give Sakura a Tracer costume + vice versa

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

As much as we talk about how big a flop this game is, aren't there still record numbers of EVO registrants and all that?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

As much as we talk about how big a flop this game is, aren't there still record numbers of EVO registrants and all that?

Yeah, it's got over 4,000 at this point. I think the problem is that this only really means good things for Evo and Twitch, not so much Capcom. Especially since a lot of the reason given for this huge number is that everyone from every other scene has registered for the SFV tournament, not so much people entirely new to the FGC.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Dracula Factory posted:

This thread is made up of twenty people and doesn't represent much of anything. The game has a huge community of players and will for some time.

I'll be going to a local tonight with more players than there are people participating in this thread, and most of them will be there just to play SF5.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah out of all the things Overwatch does well (a lot), I was most impressed by Blizzard achieving the 2000's dream of "It's got characters like a fighting game but it's a...". Their gimmicks, differentiation, and simplicity hits that sweet spot.

It's weird, it's almost like the lack of work on each character makes them feel more FG style. Their backstory is tossed off, they're aggressively styled to make up for it, no one is fussed over and made into an obvious star.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 10, 2016

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I've always wanted to get better at street fighter, mainly so I could play with friends and not get crushed but the one thing that's really held me back is the feeling that I'm just not progressing and no changeup in tactics or mindset seems to be working. Eventually I just get burnt out after getting destroyed about 7 or 8 rounds in a row. And yet I continue coming back trying to learn the basics I already forgot 3-4 months ago. Probably doesn't help that almost all of my fighting game experience is with 3D fighters like Tekken/Virtua Fighter/Dead or Alive. I'm guessing just harden the gently caress up and have another go at it? Love the beginner post btw, I didn't know you could do little things like set multiple recordings of movesets for the dummy to do.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ultramega posted:

I've always wanted to get better at street fighter, mainly so I could play with friends and not get crushed but the one thing that's really held me back is the feeling that I'm just not progressing and no changeup in tactics or mindset seems to be working. Eventually I just get burnt out after getting destroyed about 7 or 8 rounds in a row. And yet I continue coming back trying to learn the basics I already forgot 3-4 months ago. Probably doesn't help that almost all of my fighting game experience is with 3D fighters like Tekken/Virtua Fighter/Dead or Alive. I'm guessing just harden the gently caress up and have another go at it? Love the beginner post btw, I didn't know you could do little things like set multiple recordings of movesets for the dummy to do.

Find a local scene of people to play with, fighting online will burn you out especially if you're trying to learn a game, what with the frequency of lovely matches and the downtime between matches.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Dracula Factory posted:

Nah, like already said, it'll be pretty much SF5 but with a shitload of working features and polish. Everything will be super simplified in mechanics, specials will be on a cooldown like Rising Thunder, characters will then be split up into zoners, rushdown mans, and grapplers but will all be homogenized to be interchangeable within those archetypes for the sake of "true balance" and be boring AF.

You don't have to wait too long though, I'm pretty sure this will be the game that Riot turns Rising Thunder into.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dracula Factory posted:

Again, I find that people mistake mainstream popularity for competitive popularity. SFV fell quite short of its sales numbers, and in a mainstream sense, "flopped" both in those terms and when it comes to critical reception. However, since it has "Street" and "Fighter" in its name and Capcom as its developer, it instantly became the #1 competitive FG in the West, as the sucessor to the game that made FGs ~~esports~~. It might be cynical of me to think this, but regardless of the game's merits it would be a record breaker in the competitive scene just by virtue of being Street Fighter the Fifth.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone tell me what to do on wakeup as Karin. Every time I think I am getting a tiny bit better I lose to some button mashing Chun Li or something if I get knocked down once or twice. I read that the EX punch thing is what a lot of people use but it doesn't seem nearly as good as a wake up DP or something.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Goetta posted:

Someone tell me what to do on wakeup as Karin. Every time I think I am getting a tiny bit better I lose to some button mashing Chun Li or something if I get knocked down once or twice. I read that the EX punch thing is what a lot of people use but it doesn't seem nearly as good as a wake up DP or something.

Have you tried blocking and maybe using V-Reversal?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've tried blocking but then I start getting tossed or overheaded. I know the rock paper scissors wakeup thing is part of fighting games but I sort of feel lost with that character punishing some guy just standing on top of me throwing jabs in a corner.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

Right? its got great characters and locales and memorable abilities, all it needs is the fighting game part. Actually screw that, if it was an fg nobody would buy it.

It totally has the fighting game part, people whining about balance day -14

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also to back up with what the burned out guy said, trying to practice this game while getting reamed by 10 silver Guiles online in a row then finally finding one dude who is at your skill level and losing to dumb poo poo you know you can beat is incredibly disheartening. Like really makes you want to stop playing that game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dracula Factory posted:

Blizzard's MO for the last 10 years is to not allow things in games that make you feel bad, even if they help make your decisions more meaningful. Fighting games basically exist to make you feel bad about your incorrect decisions.

A Blizzard fighting game would be less of a fighting game and more like Smash Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

if you think there isn't poo poo in smash bros that makes people feel real bad than you've never actually played smash bros