Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's not the taking out, it's the putting in that hurts. You'll need a piece of thin sheetmetal and a whole lot of wd40. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It's not the taking out, it's the putting in that hurts.

So...much....innuendo....must...resist..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

So...much....innuendo....must...resist..

Like I said

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

I'd be concerned about how long that would last on my bike. No fairings, so water and dust get everywhere.

try colored zip ties if you still want to label everything. Then just make a note on your phone of what the colors mean.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are you aware you can get zipties with integrated label panels? They're good.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Anyone have recommendations on a good pair of saddlebags for a cross country trip? I'd need space for a few days worth of clothes and extra stuff if need be. Lockable is also desired, or easily removable. I've been looking around the internet, but figured I'd get the opinion of some fellow goons. Oh, I ride a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic, if that matters.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get whatever bags you want and put them on Easy Brackets. Lock to the bike, and come off in a couple seconds.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Are you aware you can get zipties with integrated label panels? They're good.

Where can I find this wizardry? I already own all the zip ties home depot has.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
idk mate just google "label zipties"

These look okay though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Even better, you can get little printers that print onto heat shrink tubing, which you can then slip over any hoses or wires you want. Imagine having your entire wiring harness labeled at each end of the wire with what that wire is for.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even better, you can get little printers that print onto heat shrink tubing, which you can then slip over any hoses or wires you want. Imagine having your entire wiring harness labeled at each end of the wire with what that wire is for.

Yeah, no way the missus is approving that purchase any time soon. :( That is one of my fantasies though: to be the goober dad with a perfectly organized garage that is also heavily used.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

That is one of my fantasies though: to be the goober dad with a perfectly organized garage that is also heavily used.

Meanwhile, at my house...

"Dad, I need help with my bike."
"What's wrong with it?"
"...it's in the garage."

It's a carefully choreographed dance. Of junk and greasy tools and inflammable liquids.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My dream is the checkered floor, snap-on tool box, retro pinups, mechanical man cave. My fear is that it'll end up like so many hobby garages tend to. The owner points and tells you "there's my moped project, there's a lawnmower I'm fixing up, here's my Triumph Spitfire...." but all you can see is an avalanche of scrap metal and oily cardboard.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Meanwhile, at my house...

"Dad, I need help with my bike."
"What's wrong with it?"
"...it's in the garage."

It's a carefully choreographed dance. Of junk and greasy tools and inflammable liquids.

:laffo:

Things will be different when I have children! I swear!

Ola posted:

My dream is the checkered floor, snap-on tool box, retro pinups, mechanical man cave. My fear is that it'll end up like so many hobby garages tend to. The owner points and tells you "there's my moped project, there's a lawnmower I'm fixing up, here's my Triumph Spitfire...." but all you can see is an avalanche of scrap metal and oily cardboard.

You forgot the one clear walkway adjacent to your poorly chosen neon beer sign.

That's my dream garage as well. My fiance's uncle has even managed to pull it off. Crazy bastard.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Hoses come in any color you want, so long as you don't want plain black. Thank God my bike is naked so everyone can see these!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My garage is 8 feet of sidewalk next to the carport.

Meanwhile my dad/brother's garage 1000 miles away is the dimly lit garage in hipster bike videos filled with old motorcycles, walls covered in old junk like a wacky family restaurant, an antique lathe and pretty much any weird tool you could imagine.

Why couldn't I have gotten into this junk while I still lived at home :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Hoses come in any color you want, so long as you don't want plain black. Thank God my bike is naked so everyone can see these!

Are those for fuel?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Are those for fuel?

The black 5/16 will be the fuel line. They're supposed to be fine with gasoline, right?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dog Case posted:

My garage is 8 feet of sidewalk next to the carport.

Meanwhile my dad/brother's garage 1000 miles away is the dimly lit garage in hipster bike videos filled with old motorcycles, walls covered in old junk like a wacky family restaurant, an antique lathe and pretty much any weird tool you could imagine.

Why couldn't I have gotten into this junk while I still lived at home :(

I too would like to play four Yorkshiremen with garages. I swapped out the crank case in this, using that ikea bag full of tools.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Enjoy your new engine under warranty!

Bottom ring was broken. I'm at least getting a new piston, maybe a new cylinder.

Dealer doesn't know if it'll be done before I on a 2500 mile vacation, but they'll allow me to use the cb650f loaner they gave me for that, which is excellent service. They even put my Garmin mount on.

Test rode the sd1290 and the 990smt. With the 1290 it's freaky how they managed to get such an engine so smooth, but that also means it feels tame. I mean, when you whack open the throttle wheelie control has to step in, yet it still feels tamer than my Duke. It feels like a much more polished bike though, it actually shifts nice, much nicer finish, etc. But I'm not in love with it like I hoped.
The 990 felt rawer than the 1290, but you do notice it's got less power, and it's a bit more toy like in finish like my 690 is, gearbox isn't great, etc. Maybe I should just get another Buell.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 11, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

The black 5/16 will be the fuel line. They're supposed to be fine with gasoline, right?

Honestly I dunno. I was reading some on adventure rider about fuel line and some folks complained about tygon saying it would harden after being exposed to fuel. I went with black rubbber sae306r or something like that fuel line. But those look so cool... mmaannn.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

builds character posted:

I too would like to play four Yorkshiremen with garages. I swapped out the crank case in this, using that ikea bag full of tools.

Is it legal to rent out garages as living quarters? I just need a garage and like, space for a bed. and a shitter. I don't cook. Getting tired of my open air apartment parking lot

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Is it legal to rent out garages as living quarters? I just need a garage and like, space for a bed. and a shitter. I don't cook. Getting tired of my open air apartment parking lot

While probably not technically legal, depending on where you are, you could probably rent an industrial lockup with a bathroom+ maybe a small office for not a lot compared to an actual apartment, and if the landlord doesn't mind and you keep it low key, you'd probably get away with it. An awful lot (if not all) depends on your location though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Honestly I dunno. I was reading some on adventure rider about fuel line and some folks complained about tygon saying it would harden after being exposed to fuel. I went with black rubbber sae306r or something like that fuel line. But those look so cool... mmaannn.

If it fails I'll let you know! The bike shop just pointed me in the direction of their wall of hose, and I grabbed one of every size to make sure I wasn't coming back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Replaced all my hoses. Finally able to run the bike so I can diagnose. Let it run till warm. Radiator kicked on. It is a sprinkler that shoots coolant nearly 8 inches into the air. :cripes: I think I need a whole new radiator. I'll post a video later if anyone is interested in seeing the Kawasaki Oasis Air Misting System (patent pending).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a good thing you don't ride a Buell because then you'd have dependability problems

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

I'll post a video later if anyone is interested in seeing the Kawasaki Oasis Air Misting System (patent pending).

Absolutely :justpost:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Linedance posted:

While probably not technically legal, depending on where you are, you could probably rent an industrial lockup with a bathroom+ maybe a small office for not a lot compared to an actual apartment, and if the landlord doesn't mind and you keep it low key, you'd probably get away with it. An awful lot (if not all) depends on your location though.

SoCal. I'm sure our commie government has a law against it somewhere on the books haha

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

SoCal. I'm sure our commie government has a law against it somewhere on the books haha

My partner once lived in a shed in someone's backyard in LA for a while which is apparently completely normal, so you'll probably be fine.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I use google maps voiced directions with my iphone and earbuds to get around point to point when I do long rides out. I'm planning on making a ride that goes into a loop and used the google map tracing thing to set up the ride.
However when I load the route into the app, it won't give me the voiced directions, which kinda seems retarded because the route looks fine.

Any app that exists that accepts custom maps for voiced directions?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

It's a good thing you don't ride a Buell because then you'd have dependability problems

Maybe I'm just too much rider for most motorcycles to handle. Gonna get that Daytona finally so I can reach my full potential (4 inches of grease on the side of a truck).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Chichevache posted:

Replaced all my hoses. Finally able to run the bike so I can diagnose. Let it run till warm. Radiator kicked on. It is a sprinkler that shoots coolant nearly 8 inches into the air. :cripes: I think I need a whole new radiator. I'll post a video later if anyone is interested in seeing the Kawasaki Oasis Air Misting System (patent pending).

Put beer or wine in there, ride around with a sleeve of plastic cups. Make friends. You're welcome.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gorson posted:

Put beer or wine in there, ride around with a sleeve of plastic cups. Make friends. You're welcome.

Coolant=alcohol+water=Margarita=:20bux:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
hell its already green as it is, just pour over ice and dont stick around after they pay you

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Coolant=alcohol+water=Margarita=:20bux:

Dunno whats more expensive, the Tequilla or the anti-freeze.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Well that was a little embarrassing ride home. I came to stop at some lights which lead to joining a main A road and also had a coach behind me, but when I came to a stop the engine started bogging down despite that I've been riding for about 20 minutes or so. I usually sit in 1st gear so I pulled in the clutch and started opening the throttle which just made it bog slower, and twisting it all the way made the engine sound a bit more promising but then it conked out and stalled.

Luckily it did come back to life after cranking it (good thing too as I was stuck at a green light for a horribly long 10 seconds) and it wasn't hurting for power as I gave it the beans to peel out at 50mph to get the gently caress moving again (I hope a camera didn't see that). Although it sorta happened yesterday where I came to stop on a hill and got a bit lazy with the gears, it's not really something I've experienced much.

Anything in particular I should look out for? A cursory google says the gas cap might not be properly sealed, and of course carbs.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Anything in particular I should look out for? A cursory google says the gas cap might not be properly sealed, and of course carbs.

Actually it's the opposite, the tank is too sealed and is not getting air in to replace the spent fuel which causes a vacuum which holds the fuel back. Could be a clogged vent somewhere. Can of course also be carbs or petcock. Where you riding at high throttle setting before the problem occurred? If the petcock is not getting enough vacuum or the vacuum hose is kinked or leaking, it could prevent fuel from flowing.

Next time it happens (perhaps repeat the exact route on the weekend or something?), open the fuel cap as fast as you can. If it makes a big PSSSHH you're on to something - although it does usually make some noise.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

this is obvious but make sure there's enough gas in the tank

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Welp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6KHQOY0Bg

Edit
Ten dollars for a radiator that might work sounds too good to be true. 75 in shipping sounds about right.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZRX1100-ZRX1200-ZRX1200R-Radiator-Fan-Fan-Switch-Shrouds-/182109928787?nav=SEARCH

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

Bottom ring was broken. I'm at least getting a new piston, maybe a new cylinder.

Dealer doesn't know if it'll be done before I on a 2500 mile vacation, but they'll allow me to use the cb650f loaner they gave me for that, which is excellent service. They even put my Garmin mount on.

Test rode the sd1290 and the 990smt. With the 1290 it's freaky how they managed to get such an engine so smooth, but that also means it feels tame. I mean, when you whack open the throttle wheelie control has to step in, yet it still feels tamer than my Duke. It feels like a much more polished bike though, it actually shifts nice, much nicer finish, etc. But I'm not in love with it like I hoped.
The 990 felt rawer than the 1290, but you do notice it's got less power, and it's a bit more toy like in finish like my 690 is, gearbox isn't great, etc. Maybe I should just get another Buell.

Turn the TC off and the SuperDuke becomes a very different experience. :)