Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Viperix posted:

It's interesting how as an exclusive large, heavy weapon user, by far the single greatest threat in the whole game is 3 dogs at once. I would gladly fight anything else, including most bosses.

If you can not spare much weight, consider bringing the East West shield for Dogs and Rats. It's got pretty horrible stats, but it's only 2.0 weight and technically a Normal Shield. Meaning it actually deflects more attacks from "weak" enemies than a small shield with better stats or weight. Like a rat's big lunging bite. Yes I loving checked :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just got parried by a twink with the hornet ring in the undead settlement while he was falling, then the game crashed on the loading screen :thumbsup:

Twinks are a special kind of internet fungus that has done its best to ruin the online in every game except dark souls 2, which actually attempted to keep them out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

how the gently caress do you kill the lothric knight with the massive shield and spear?

Two hand your weapon so it won't bounce off his shield and just spam attacks until he recoils, makes them trivial.

*Edit oops that was from 100 pages back, thread moves fast.

But speaking of the Lothric knights with spears, was anyone else disappointed the spear didn't have the same moveset as the knight using it? I wanted that thing the moment I saw him use it with his swipes and stabs and lunges.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 11, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Digirat posted:

Just got parried by a twink with the hornet ring in the undead settlement while he was falling, then the game crashed on the loading screen :thumbsup:

Twinks are a special kind of internet fungus that has done its best to ruin the online in every game except dark souls 2, which actually attempted to keep them out.

Dark souls 2 twink here, the agape ring resurected me from dark souls 1.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I beat the Ancient Wyvern by hitting it in the face with an axe out of idle curiosity on my NG+ run (have to keep the ring grinding tedium at bay somehow). Extremely irritating, would not recommend it. Just like the red corpse man that gave 5 blood vials every time you died to Ludwig was a tacit admission that blood vials were a lovely mechanic, I feel like the plunging attack solution to the wyvern fight is a tacit admission that From has no idea how to make dragon fights fun or worthwhile or even basically functional. I hope that in the DLC and just moving forward in general, we can avoid fighting more dragons. It's always such a headache.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Two hand your weapon so it won't bounce off his shield and just spam attacks until he recoils, makes them trivial.

*Edit oops that was from 100 pages back, thread moves fast.

But speaking of the Lothric knights with spears, was anyone else disappointed the spear didn't have the same moveset as the knight using it? I wanted that thing the moment I saw him use it with his swipes and stabs and lunges.

Yeah :sigh: AND a passive buff that currently does gently caress all. But they still make it one of the higher stat requirement spears in the game that isn't a legendary dragon murder toy.

It still looks very cool, at least.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Just solo'd Oceiros \[T]/

He really is a cool fight, fighting him with a slow weapon really made it a lot more methodical and by the time I got everything down it felt more like putting down a sick dog rather than fighting a twenty foot dragon man

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 11, 2016

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Section Z posted:

If you can not spare much weight, consider bringing the East West shield for Dogs and Rats. It's got pretty horrible stats, but it's only 2.0 weight and technically a Normal Shield. Meaning it actually deflects more attacks from "weak" enemies than a small shield with better stats or weight. Like a rat's big lunging bite. Yes I loving checked :shepface:

Pride demands I do not use a shield. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is really disappointing you can't hit enemies when you invade as a purple. I wanted to be purple batman.

At least Chaos Co-op is still really good when you aren't running into twinks, hackers or people who try to gank you even though they summoned you.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Welp, that'll do it for the night. 200k soul corpse run in Irithyll Dungeon NG+, and I get called into a Blue Sentinels fight while on an elevator. I come back in midair, fall down the entire shaft and splatter on the bottom.

Thanks, FROM. At least the Blue Sentinels encounter was interesting...the invader was cosplaying Nameless King, and the host and him were just sitting around doing Path of the Dragon until the host's symbol of avarice killed him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If someone starts spamming parrys at me, I just start spamming jump attacks until they put that silliness away.

Why don't they just move slightly to avoid the jump and stab you due to long animation?

Digirat posted:

DS2 didn't really stop a twink that knew what they were doing, even less so when they added the agape ring (though this was a good decision as it kept SM from hampering sunbros). Obviously the intent of SM was to stop them but it was flawed due to it being perfectly possible to access endgame equipment at low SM by speedrunning through areas. The soul cost of upgrading equipment was trivial, so you could invade early in the game with a highly upgraded weapon if you felt like it.

DS3 probably has the best system for preventing twinking honestly, as equipment level is what really matters. Doesn't stop someone from using endgame gear at the start but very few items make a huge difference. The hornet ring is stupidly strong no matter when you get it after all.

The only problem I have with it is that you can't put items in storage to prevent them from affecting matchmaking. Upgrading gear is one-way street, which kind of sucks when you want to invade in multiple areas.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 11, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Donald T****: filtered.

Nyarlat**tep: you better bet that little hussy is getting filtered.

And yet...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

DS2 didn't really stop a twink that knew what they were doing, even less so when they added the agape ring (though this was a good decision as it kept SM from hampering sunbros). Obviously the intent of SM was to stop them but it was flawed due to it being perfectly possible to access endgame equipment at low SM by speedrunning through areas. The soul cost of upgrading equipment was trivial, so you could invade early in the game with a highly upgraded weapon if you felt like it.

They undid it with the agape ring and soul memory was extremely flawed for a hundred separate reasons but on launch it really did a better job of getting rid of them than any other game has. Even after the agape ring was a thing I hardly noticed any of them due to limited invasion items, another plus. It took cheaters to actually get past it for long, and there are fewer outright cheaters than there are people that just abuse bad systems.

quote:

DS3 probably has the best system for preventing twinking honestly, as equipment level is what really matters. Doesn't stop someone from using endgame gear at the start but very few items make a huge difference. The hornet ring is stupidly strong no matter when you get it after all.

It is comforting to know the twink is one-shotting people with a +2 weapon instead of a +10 weapon, yes

That is partly a problem with parrying and the hornet ring in general though

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Dazzling Addar posted:

I beat the Ancient Wyvern by hitting it in the face with an axe out of idle curiosity on my NG+ run (have to keep the ring grinding tedium at bay somehow). Extremely irritating, would not recommend it. Just like the red corpse man that gave 5 blood vials every time you died to Ludwig was a tacit admission that blood vials were a lovely mechanic, I feel like the plunging attack solution to the wyvern fight is a tacit admission that From has no idea how to make dragon fights fun or worthwhile or even basically functional. I hope that in the DLC and just moving forward in general, we can avoid fighting more dragons. It's always such a headache.

It's a reference to a previous game. Like everything else.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Lothric Castle is really not fun so far. Those red eyed knights they put everywhere pretty much always one shot me and take almost no damage from my fully upgraded Wolnir's Holy Sword making the incredibly tedious to fight.

Make sure you find the double dragon bonfire. From there you can run to the boss

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Toady posted:

(in my opinion, the future).

Sorry but your opinion straight up contradicts the facts. It's in the past.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Make sure you find the double dragon bonfire. From there you can run to the boss

I found the easiest bonfire to get back to the boss was actually the dancer's one if you take the elevator. They are pretty comparable though

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How are Lothric's Holy Sword and Hollowslayer Greatsword? I'm not sure what to use my titanite scales on for my dex/faith build. Lothric's totally goes with my gallant holy swordswoman deal, but I'm not sure if it's redundant when I already have a nice straight sword. Lucatiel was totally cool too, and a dex-based greatsword is pretty appealing--plus I already actually have this sword; I don't know how long into the game Lothric's Holy Sword comes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

It is comforting to know the twink is one-shotting people with a +2 weapon instead of a +10 weapon, yes

That is partly a problem with parrying and the hornet ring in general though

I mean the hornet ring can oneshot people at any level with the right weapon, provided they lack vigor. Its a crazy strong weapon.

The limited invasion items in DS2 was loving nonsense and as much as I love that game I will never defend it. All it did was make invasions a pain in the rear end to get going without cheating, so people just invaded less overall. That's no fun. I really like that DS3 just gives you a red eye orb out of the gate and lets you go crazy.

Dazzling Addar posted:

Sinh was a good dragon fight :colbert:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

are there any real downsides to hollowing, other than looking like a beef jerky? storywise or other, assuming you won't bother with healing the dark sigil

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cephas posted:

How are Lothric's Holy Sword and Hollowslayer Greatsword? I'm not sure what to use my titanite scales on for my dex/faith build. Lothric's totally goes with my gallant holy swordswoman deal, but I'm not sure if it's redundant when I already have a nice straight sword. Lucatiel was totally cool too, and a dex-based greatsword is pretty appealing--plus I already actually have this sword; I don't know how long into the game Lothric's Holy Sword comes.

lothric's holy sword is transposed from the penultimate story boss' soul. the astora greatsword is a dex based greatsword that you can pick up in the cemetery by the cathedral of the deep tho

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Digirat posted:

I found the easiest bonfire to get back to the boss was actually the dancer's one if you take the elevator. They are pretty comparable though

That ride takes forever

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean the hornet ring can oneshot people at any level with the right weapon, provided they lack vigor. Its a crazy strong weapon.

The limited invasion items in DS2 was loving nonsense and as much as I love that game I will never defend it. All it did was make invasions a pain in the rear end to get going without cheating, so people just invaded less overall. That's no fun. I really like that DS3 just gives you a red eye orb out of the gate and lets you go crazy.

I'm coming from the perspective of "gently caress all invasions forever" and have always hated the mechanic in every game, PvP is a part of the games I find extremely dumb that has massive collateral damage for the balance and design, but one that is unfortunately considered a feature so I do my best to tolerate it. Twinks and cheaters are something I can't put up with for long though. I know most people completely disagree with me about invasions.

ulvir posted:

are there any real downsides to hollowing, other than looking like a beef jerky? storywise or other, assuming you won't bother with healing the dark sigil

Your fashion scores drop by at least 4 gestures. It's pretty serious.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 11, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

That ride takes forever

i started laughing during that elevator ride. idk why that one in particular is 10x slower than every other elevator

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Digirat posted:

I'm coming from the perspective of "gently caress all invasions forever" and have always hated the mechanic in every game, PvP is a part of the games I find extremely dumb that has massive collateral damage for the balance and design, but one that is unfortunately considered a feature so I do my best to tolerate it. Twinks and cheaters are something I can't put up with for long though. I know most people completely disagree with me about invasions.

play offline you nerd

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does anyone else call dragonslayer Havelstein?

Cuz I do

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
no

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Well gently caress you then bitch

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Alan Smithee posted:

Well gently caress you then bitch

Duel me dirty bird

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Lay down is the best gesture yet.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Viperix posted:

Slav squat supremacy

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lay down is very good if you're up above someone you've invaded and wanna remain unseen

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico

Nanomashoes posted:

Sorry I don't buy it. I don't trust Ludeth for a second, the handmaiden is completely mad and probably hiding something.

If the shrine is before Ludeth and he linked it because of it being so dark, how does he already have a throne in the past? He has no legs too, wouldn't he be there? Why do we find Yoel's ashes, the blacksmiths hammer, and the coiled sword right where we left it. The other half being in high wall where you first teleport in.

Gundyr's unknown warrior that sheathed is on the box art chilling with a coiled sword and dragging your body in the cemetery in the opening video.

Untended Graves is definitely run down ruins and collapsed and poo poo too on top of that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lay down is good no matter what

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

If so, why do Yoel's ashes appear in his location after he dies, and why does the coiled sword fragment description read that it's from a "bonfire which served its purpose long ago"?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Toady posted:

If so, why do Yoel's ashes appear in his location after he dies?

why do you think those are yoel's ashes?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't the untended graves supposed to be the alternate reality where ludleth didn't link the flame or w/e

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Viperix posted:

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Slav squat supremacy

i wish i could quickselect every gesture. i love them all.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

PleasingFungus posted:

i wish i could quickselect every gesture. i love them all.
I would gladly exchange two of the four bows to get "Decapitate" and "This one's me" back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
No way and Well What Is it? gestures would be nice too. Its weird they dont have many useful gestures this time around for actually communicating.