Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

FrickenMoron posted:

Its a misnomer, lag wont be a problem but performance is pretty poo poo on consoles.

it's really not though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i like that the worm slug monsters outside of rosaria's chamber respawn on the ceiling if you kill them all and get summoned as aldrich/whatever. its the world's worst ambush

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Going sorcery with just enough Str and Dex to wield a raw infused uchigatana with Magic Weapon seems pretty goddamn powerful. I'm absolutely wrecking poo poo.

My offhand is my staff for any long-range cheesing or the Crystal Sage's Rapier for that sweet drop buff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GulagDolls posted:

i like that the worm slug monsters outside of rosaria's chamber respawn on the ceiling if you kill them all and get summoned as aldrich/whatever. its the world's worst ambush

They're outside of their element when not in their native habitat

I.e. A cesspool of giant feces

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Going sorcery with just enough Str and Dex to wield a raw infused uchigatana with Magic Weapon seems pretty goddamn powerful. I'm absolutely wrecking poo poo.

My offhand is my staff for any long-range cheesing or the Crystal Sage's Rapier for that sweet drop buff.

Curious what's your stats and where are you currently?

How much damage do you do to bosses on average

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
How am I seeing sunbro summon signs in front of the second boss? Is there a way to join the covenant this early?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yodzilla posted:

I started doing a quest guide run to see what I missed in my first playthrough and holy loving poo poo is Dark Souls 3 garbage about quest design. I know there's been obtuse stuff in all of the games but I felt like in the other titles you at least got to experience SOME stuff in a normal game without looking anything up. Dark Souls 3 hides almost every single one of its quests behind bizarre requirements and orders of operation you'd just never do.

It was incredible trying to tell this to people at release (Not here) and seeing so many excuses made.

Pretty much exactly as you said in places, I was expecting some tricky requirements for some stuff, as it's always been with this series basically, but they twisted the dial off in terms of "Make side content cryptic or not hinted to at all" this time. I think one of my favorite instances is not even a character or anything really, but just how you get the Havel set this time. First go to this hidden area only accessible through one weird spot in an otherwise miserable zone, which you also require a specific gesture and items to use with that spot, then find this NPC tucked away in there and kill them, then go back to a very certain bit in an area from like 70% of the game ago that you'd probably have no reason to ever revisit and there's your armor pal.

Like I know you can pull off a hint as to the final resting place for it because of the ring from the soul you get around there, but christ. :psyduck:

Senjuro posted:

How am I seeing sunbro summon signs in front of the second boss? Is there a way to join the covenant this early?

You can join sunbros pretty fast in this one.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 11, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Senjuro posted:

you can go back and lay a sign down in that area after beating it. also there's another boss in that area so you might be seeing twinks.

Yardbomb posted:

It was incredible trying to tell this to people at release (Not here) and seeing so many excuses made.

Pretty much exactly as you said in places, I was expecting some tricky requirements for some stuff, as it's always been with this series basically, but they twisted the dial off in terms of "Make side content cryptic or not hinted to at all" this time. I think one of my favorite instances is not even a character or anything really, but just how you get the Havel set this time. First go to this hidden area only accessible through one weird spot in an otherwise miserable zone, which you also require a specific gesture and items to use with that spot, then find this NPC tucked away in there and kill them, then go back to a very certain bit in an area from like 70% of the game ago that you'd probably have no reason to ever revisit and there's your armor pal.

Like I know you can pull off a hint as to the final resting place for it because of the ring from the soul you get around there, but christ. :psyduck:

i actually stumbled into it on accident in my first play through because at the time i originally was in that area i kept getting smoked real hard so i came back to beat it much, much later. i just thought that i'd missed picking it up the first time through. the requirements for this set are so loving obtuse, it's a little bizarre.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 11, 2016

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Senjuro posted:

Getting a sunlight medal qualifies you for joining the covenant, and there's one in the Undead Settlement.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My favourite completely nonsensical quest step might be Sirris' summon sign to help her against Creighton that shows up in a place you have zero reason to ever revisit. Maybe possibly if you just ran away from the dog thing the first time and then go back later to kill it (but not too much later of course!), but otherwise the area is as pure transition as they get and has absolutely no connection to her.

Other question: I'm on my NG+ run for all the rings and poo poo, and I'm seriously debating if I should even go down the Catacombs beneath the Smouldering Lake. Old Demon King is dead for a quick Greirat return (and Cornyx' set which I had already from genociding everyone at the end of NG...), and I can't remember if there's anything even remotely interesting down there I would want a second copy of. Unless there's a +1 Ring? I will look up the list of those later so I can at least have some "hey I found something NEW" moments in NG+...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Senjuro posted:

You only need to kill two bosses to get access to sunbro in this game, and provided you don't outlevel the usual range for the second boss there's no reason you can't go back and help out there. The only reason you can't also sunbro the first boss is that there's no co-op at all for him.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Simply Simon posted:

My favourite completely nonsensical quest step might be Sirris' summon sign to help her against Creighton that shows up in a place you have zero reason to ever revisit. Maybe possibly if you just ran away from the dog thing the first time and then go back later to kill it (but not too much later of course!), but otherwise the area is as pure transition as they get and has absolutely no connection to her.

Yeah it's kinda crazy that for how many good things Dark Souls 3 does right it makes me wish they'd took more from Dark Souls 2 like story progression and bonfire ascetics.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dark souls 3 killed off the giant blacksmith :smith:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i guess you're supposed to know to go there because the handmaiden sells a budding green blossom that says someone is gonna be at the pit of hollows

what's dumb is that her summon sign isn't at the pit of hollows. its 900 feet above it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah it's kinda crazy that for how many good things Dark Souls 3 does right it makes me wish they'd took more from Dark Souls 2 like story progression and bonfire ascetics.

Tbf ds2 also had obtuse npc event chains, like finding Lucatiel in black gultch, the thing about ds3 is that every npc story is some long, breakable event chain.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alan Smithee posted:

Dark souls 3 killed off the giant blacksmith :smith:

Taking his ember back to Andre is :smith: incarnate.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cathedral of the deep past the graveyard feels very off. like did they decide that there wasn't enough ambushes around in the game so they needed five of them for every corner?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Dazzling Addar posted:

I beat the Ancient Wyvern by hitting it in the face with an axe out of idle curiosity on my NG+ run (have to keep the ring grinding tedium at bay somehow). Extremely irritating, would not recommend it. Just like the red corpse man that gave 5 blood vials every time you died to Ludwig was a tacit admission that blood vials were a lovely mechanic, I feel like the plunging attack solution to the wyvern fight is a tacit admission that From has no idea how to make dragon fights fun or worthwhile or even basically functional. I hope that in the DLC and just moving forward in general, we can avoid fighting more dragons. It's always such a headache.

Kalameet and Sinh...?

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Watchers have a Throne with lots of swords and that multiple of them could sit in

This sounds cute.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Would be nice if purple phantoms could help with the boss too - would really add another smidgen of doubt to the proceedings.

As it stands at the moment, a purple phantom is going to murder someone. If you look weak, it might be you.

That said, I really enjoy being a purple summon because you never know quite what you're going to get - a gank squad? Someone desperate for help? Someone just taking a chance that you won't immediately turn on them?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Am I the only person who liked Ancient Wyvern? I don't think it's the best boss in the game or anything, but being chased up an ancient ruin by an enormous and nigh-invincible dragon all to culminate in the most :black101: moment of the game was really rad. It's a gimmick boss, but it's a good gimmick unlike Yhorm.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Been playing a run as a pyromancer and just finished helping player ''Rape Tornado'' down Wolnir. Good filtering, From.

:smith:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Angrymog posted:

Would be nice if purple phantoms could help with the boss too - would really add another smidgen of doubt to the proceedings.

As it stands at the moment, a purple phantom is going to murder someone. If you look weak, it might be you.

That said, I really enjoy being a purple summon because you never know quite what you're going to get - a gank squad? Someone desperate for help? Someone just taking a chance that you won't immediately turn on them?

I like summoning PurpleBros to see if I can convince them to help me via gestures and generally being non-threatening. I expect betrayal eventually, but it's fun arriving at an uneasy truce before then.

Best was one I summoned after pontiff. Helped me clear everything out and we fought off two RedBros together. We go down to the Aldritch Covenant area, aggro one of the doggators and PurpleBro was ahead of me going up the ladder. Right as I was about to plunge attack off - he kicked me off. :v:

Hilarious and awesome. Perfect PurpleBro. "hey friend! we've been buddies for the last 20 minutes! you can trust me! ..... *kick* lol later, shitlord!"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

quote:

Total worldwide shipments for Dark Souls III have surpassed three million, and total worldwide shipments for the Dark Souls series have surpassed 13 million, Bandai Namco announced.

The number includes 500,000 shipped in Japan and Asia, 1.5 million shipped in North America, and one million shipped in Europe.

Dark Souls III, developed by From Software, launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Japan on March 24, and worldwide with an added PC release on April 12.
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/dark-souls-iii-tops-three-million-shipments-dark-souls-series-tops-13-million
http://bandainamcoent.co.jp/corporate/press/release/62/pdf/20160511.pdf

quote:

1.5m copies shipped in North America, 1m shipped in Europe, and 500,000 in Asia and Japan

In a similar timeframe, but in the US and Europe combined, Dark Souls 1 actually sold 1.2m copies, whereas Dark Souls 2 only shipped 1.2m copies. Even with only shipped figures for Dark Souls 3, it seems the game is comfortably ahead.

From Software's thematically similar PlayStation 4 exclusive Bloodborne sold 1m copies in under two weeks.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-11-dark-souls-3-the-fastest-selling-instalment-in-series

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

i guess you're supposed to know to go there because the handmaiden sells a budding green blossom that says someone is gonna be at the pit of hollows

what's dumb is that her summon sign isn't at the pit of hollows. its 900 feet above it
I meant her first summon sign, on the Irithyll Bridge. The second one is less obscure, if still so.

Notorious QIG posted:

Am I the only person who liked Ancient Wyvern? I don't think it's the best boss in the game or anything, but being chased up an ancient ruin by an enormous and nigh-invincible dragon all to culminate in the most :black101: moment of the game was really rad. It's a gimmick boss, but it's a good gimmick unlike Yhorm.
Ancient Wyvern is loving amazing and possibly how they imagined Dragon God in Demon's Souls should have/could have been, but from what I've seen, that one just kinda sucks and is annoying.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Notorious QIG posted:

It's identical to all the other dragons in the game except it traps you in a room and you can fall on its head though. It should have had different moves and a different look from the other dragons, but apparently all the dragon design budget was spent on NK's majestic turkey.

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
Playing purple bro co-op is a lot of fun. Friendly fire adds another element to the game that if cool. Make all summons have friendly fire in DS4 please From.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ulvir posted:

cathedral of the deep past the graveyard feels very off. like did they decide that there wasn't enough ambushes around in the game so they needed five of them for every corner?

the entire outside of the cotd between the graveyard and actually breaking into the church is video game vietnam. it's my least favorite area in the game because it's just one "gotcha!" surprise after another and you either take 10x longer slowly creeping through it so you can safely pass it in one go, or you die several times learning all the ambushes, but then once you know where all the monsters are hidden it's not even a challenge any more, it's just a slog you run through and never look back at. hell, outside some grave warden spawns, i don't even think there's any worthwhile loot in the entire section, so you can just run through the whole area (stamina permitting).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hellyeah who else is ready for Namco to farm out the Dark Souls series to some other developer since From is done

(please be Platinum)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

FrickenMoron posted:

Its a misnomer, lag wont be a problem but performance is pretty poo poo on consoles.

I'm currently playing Bloodborne (great game) and it certainly dips the framerate to 30ies if not lower at times - is DS3 comparable?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

pigdog posted:

I'm currently playing Bloodborne (great game) and it certainly dips the framerate to 30ies if not lower at times - is DS3 comparable?

My tolerance for such things is higher than average, but I've only really noticed dips in the PS4 version during really busy moments or large PVP battles. It seems to be about on par with Bloodborne.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Boy isn't it loving stupid that the game series that has always sold the best overseas was released two weeks early in it's native country?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

homeless poster posted:

the entire outside of the cotd between the graveyard and actually breaking into the church is video game vietnam. it's my least favorite area in the game because it's just one "gotcha!" surprise after another and you either take 10x longer slowly creeping through it so you can safely pass it in one go, or you die several times learning all the ambushes, but then once you know where all the monsters are hidden it's not even a challenge any more, it's just a slog you run through and never look back at. hell, outside some grave warden spawns, i don't even think there's any worthwhile loot in the entire section, so you can just run through the whole area (stamina permitting).
And people say there aren't enough DS2 callbacks in this game

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah they really went overboard with the NPC questlines - I can't think of a single one that makes sense.

Anri - Hope you presaged the hidden hollow assassin in the church if you want it to end a specific way
Siegward - Mostly straightforward except for his Cathedral stuff. Why ever revisit the well outside the cleansing bonfire? He calls to you but not from the door, you have to get near the well first
Patches - Go open this useless shortcut and then reload the area and visit the bridge again.
Greirat - Don't get me started. I'm just going to do him a solid and never tell him to pillage Irithyll again on future playthroughs
Yoel - Hope you know that dying is what unlocks more level ups, and that he keels over himself past the Abyss Watchers
Yuria - Tied to Yoel. If you don't die enough times between meeting Yoel and entering the Catacombs you'll never meet her, and that's assuming you even know that dying is the trigger for Yoel's level ups and not something else.
Sirris - Hope you didn't fraternize with this covenant once

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

Taking his ember back to Andre is :smith: incarnate.

I've been skimming through EpicNameBro's playthrough and he was really bummed when he found the Giant Blacksmith. He hasn't taken his coal to Andre yet but it's going to be very :smith: indeed.

The Giant Blacksmith was a good friend.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm curious, where does DS2 take place according to DS3? I've found 1 alva armor reference and some concept art paintings but other than that it seems Lothric never happened.

Harrow posted:

I've been skimming through EpicNameBro's playthrough and he was really bummed when he found the Giant Blacksmith. He hasn't taken his coal to Andre yet but it's going to be very :smith: indeed.

The Giant Blacksmith was a good friend.

You come. I forge, we talk. You good friend. I very happy.

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 11, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Yeah they really went overboard with the NPC questlines - I can't think of a single one that makes sense.

Anri - Hope you presaged the hidden hollow assassin in the church if you want it to end a specific way
Siegward - Mostly straightforward except for his Cathedral stuff. Why ever revisit the well outside the cleansing bonfire? He calls to you but not from the door, you have to get near the well first
Patches - Go open this useless shortcut and then reload the area and visit the bridge again.
Greirat - Don't get me started. I'm just going to do him a solid and never tell him to pillage Irithyll again on future playthroughs
Yoel - Hope you know that dying is what unlocks more level ups, and that he keels over himself past the Abyss Watchers
Yuria - Tied to Yoel. If you don't die enough times between meeting Yoel and entering the Catacombs you'll never meet her, and that's assuming you even know that dying is the trigger for Yoel's level ups and not something else.

Sirris is improved, at least, now that she apparently doesn't get pissed off until you actually offer a tongue to Rosaria for non-respec reasons. That's a pretty reasonable restriction now, but it was silly before. I'd think it was less silly if Sirris at least warned you about the "Fingers" before you could conceivably join them so that a player going through blind would have a clue that maybe joining Rosaria's Fingers would upset Sirris.

Patches's quest worked fine for me without the encounter at the Cathedral, but yeah, the conditions for getting that one are weird. And Siegward in the well is just frustrating. I've done that twice now and I'm still not 100% sure what triggers him showing up there.

double nine posted:

I'm curious, where does DS2 take place according to DS3? I've found 1 alva armor reference and some concept art paintings but other than that it seems Lothric never happened.

As far as I can tell, DS2's Drangleic may have overlapped with Lordran but wasn't directly on top of it. It's hard to glean any geographical things from DS3, though, given the whole "transitory lands" converging thing. The canon geography for DS3 is basically From going :shrug:. Lothric seems to be an existing kingdom that ended up being ground zero for that convergence, but beyond that the rest of it is really up in the air.

The Drang armor and weapons are Drangleic references, too. They even make an oblique reference to powerstancing--the Drang Spears' description mentions the fearsome shieldless fighting style that the "Drang Knights" pioneered.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 11, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Alan Smithee posted:

Lorians teleport move for most bullshit move of any souls game hands down

Not looking forward to this fight with my miracle dude...Although I may just say gently caress it and summon Sirris. Have her tank, and drop some Wrath of the Gods on their asses. I'm pretty sure that'd gently caress Lothric up.

Speaking of which I can't wait til NG+ Deacons of the Deep fight with WOTG. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to one shot every mob there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deified Data posted:

For me a lot of those are okay because they give you enough clues that they can be figured out given repeat playthroughs (at least thats how I deciphered most of them) which seems to be the intention, and that it usually doesn't really matter too much if you figure them out or not. Especially with the whole umbral ashes system. You didn't mention the worse one imo, where if you don't give Orbeck a scroll by a certain point he just fucks off for the rest of the playthrough which kills if you're a sorcerer.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NotAnArtist posted:

Been playing a run as a pyromancer and just finished helping player ''Rape Tornado'' down Wolnir. Good filtering, From.

:smith:

You can get away with a hilarious amount of terrible things, but Knight will show up as "K***ht", because somehow they only filter things that are all in lower-case and even if they're just connecting letters in the middle of a normal word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

Sirris is improved, at least, now that she apparently doesn't get pissed off until you actually offer a tongue to Rosaria for non-respec reasons. That's a pretty reasonable restriction now, but it was silly before. I'd think it was less silly if Sirris at least warned you about the "Fingers" before you could conceivably join them so that a player going through blind would have a clue that maybe joining Rosaria's Fingers would upset Sirris.

Speaking of Rosaria, I really wish you could respec at her an infinite number of times. Even if this was gated by beating the final boss or something, it's annoying that I can't rebuild my character for PVP as often as I want and have to either enter the next NG+ cycle or roll a new character.