Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

The American Revolution was a meme and this is a meme nation and always has been

Like setting aside the lovely "I specifically requested the opposite of this" variations, poo poo like don't tread on me snake isn't new

And you could easily make a case that meme power is the only real power. In the beginning there was the Word.

Ah, a post-structuralist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Richard Dawkins invented memes after thinking about two dogs doing a 69

Dawkins didn't invent the meme any more than Newton invented the higgs boson

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

What did the undecideds look like at this point in '12?

National GE poll - Gallup
5/3/12 - 5/9/12 - 3000 RV

Romney 47
Obama 44

National GE poll - Rasmussen
5/4/12 - 5/6/12 - 1500 LV

Romney 47
Obama 45

National GE poll - Reuters/Ipsos
5/3/12 - 5/7/12 - 959 RV

Obama 49
Romney 42

National GE poll - AP/GFK
5/3/12 - 5/7/12 - 871 RV

Obama 50
Romney 42

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Biggest threat to Hillary's campaign is that the progressive left sits out this election. Goading Trump into personally attacking their standard bearer like a bull to a red cape pretty easily avoids that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think it should be concerning for Don's campaign that it was O'Reilly who walked him into flat out saying he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade. He has good instincts for hand to hand combat but he's way too eager to please whoever is in front of him. See: his response 90% of the time when a reporter gives him the "Did you really just say that poo poo?" toned walk-back oppurtunity. He always takes it, no matter what his follow up is, no matter if the whole of the statement is "yes I just said that". He walks it back as a pavlonian response, takes stock of where he's standing now and then figures out if he wants to be there or not.

He's not going to win on substance but he's not going to win with his amazing words brain either.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

crazy cloud posted:

Dawkins didn't invent the meme any more than Newton invented the higgs boson

He unnecessarily renamed "idea" something really stupid and should be put to death

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
yeah the woman who has spent her working day in congress sending tweets to trump is totally the one who will finally stump him

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tom Tucker posted:

Biggest threat to Hillary's campaign is that the progressive left sits out this election. Goading Trump into personally attacking their standard bearer like a bull to a red cape pretty easily avoids that.

Her career is based on a lie and she hasn't done anything progressive except say nice words about it. Surely, Mrs. Warren will stump the Trump. :bravo:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DaveWoo posted:

Playing him like a goddamn fiddle. It's amazing how easy this guy is to manipulate.

Especially when it's a woman needling him.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Immortan posted:

Her career is based on a lie and she hasn't done anything progressive except say nice words about it. Surely, Mrs. Warren will stump the Trump. :bravo:

If you study the political career of Donald J Trump I think you'll find that lying as much and as often as you can is actually a good thing

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Cruz officially notifies FEC he is no longer a presidential candidate and is reactivating his 2018 Senate campaign.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
No one cares about Warren and Trump's twitter war other than his fans and her fans.

Its playing to their bases nothing more.

Tom Tucker posted:

If Trump alone wasn't enough to motivate the progressive left to the polls then I don't even know what...

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Peachstapler posted:

Cruz officially notifies FEC he is no longer a presidential candidate and is reactivating his 2018 Senate campaign.

:sad:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

I highly suggest reading the comments. The decision to continue following Romney on social media after '12 has really paid off.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Montasque posted:

If Trump alone wasn't enough to motivate the progressive left to the polls then I don't even know what...

Trump is a progressive.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/730493295550468096

Uhh

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Immortan posted:

Trump is a progressive.

Define "progressive."

LOL

Did he actually just write that today? If so :wow:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Drunkboxer posted:

He unnecessarily renamed "idea" something really stupid and should be put to death

Oh word?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lol forever considering Romney gamed his taxes in advance to make it look like he paid more in taxes (14%) than he technically needed to. loving piece of poo poo.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Orange thin skinned tantrum man has thin orange skin, throws tantrum

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Montasque posted:

Did he actually just write that today? If so :wow:

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/730492089356693505

reaganesque, imo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Montasque posted:

Define "progressive."

It's an apt descriptor of Trump's megalomania and other horrible personality and emotional disorders.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Somewhere on an Acela, Bill Kristol just choked on his coffee and felt a chill go up his spine

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I really hope he keeps up the "express every policy position at once to please everyone" strategy well into the general

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

trap sprung

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fullhouse posted:

I really hope he keeps up the "express every policy position at once to please everyone" strategy well into the general

Me too, it hasn't hurt him so far and polls indicate that America as a whole has already made up their mind about him

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Montasque posted:

No one cares about Warren and Trump's twitter war other than his fans and her fans. Its playing to their bases nothing more.

It's causing him to make firm declarations about his policy, that at the very least can be brought up on national television, so I wouldn't say it's effect is constrained to the bases.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"Firm"? He could easily pivot that to a Clinton-style "maybe higher minimum wages, if the people in that state deserve it enough" proposal.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

"Meme" sounds horrible spoken out loud. It's the worst word and it's his fault

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Flip
Flop

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Slate Action posted:

National GE poll - YouGov/Economist
5/6 - 5/9 - 1612 RV

Clinton 42
Trump 40

National GE poll - Morning Consult
5/5 - 5/9 - 6005 RV

Clinton 44
Trump 38

Oregon GE poll - FOX 12/KPTV
5/6 - 5/9 - 902 LV

Clinton 43
Trump 32

lemme unskew these polls to show Hillary winning

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Once, I was a mere apprentice. Now, I am...the Taxmaster:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/730497776564457476

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah, Clinton +2 is no big deal considering it's against Donald loving Trump, right

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Drunkboxer posted:

Talking out loud is overrated and almost everyone should do less of it, this would solve more problems than just meme meming your memer too bigly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

She's winning in all of them genius.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Drunkboxer posted:

you could say the word meme is a meme in and of itself...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Slate Action posted:

Once, I was a mere apprentice. Now, I am...the Taxmaster:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/730497776564457476

1. :psyduck:

2. That was some of the most fun Harry Reid we've ever got.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Trump was probably so close to the perfect dunk on Warren and now Romney comes zooming in from the bench, poo poo! Being a presidential nominee seems tough as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

zoux posted:

She's winning in all of them genius.

yes thats the point

see this post

Radbot posted:

Yeah, Clinton +2 is no big deal considering it's against Donald loving Trump, right

• Locked thread