Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kobogartimer posted:

Does anyone actually believe that "enabling" poise would do anything other than make PvP a poo poo show?

I really just want them to "fix" some of the more particularly stupid weapons above anything.

On one hand I'd like old poise so that wearing tanky armor would mean something more significant, but then at the same time I'd actually be worried about it being significant again, because it'd make chugging even stronger too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vermain posted:

Then don't say anything. All that an official response like that does is make From Software look like a bunch of chumps who aren't even aware of how their own game is programmed to work.

I agree but I think you are making it to be malicious when its probably just a mistake

e: the response I mean

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

The problem is that resistances to specific elements aside, there's an active disincentive to wear anything but the lowest weight, highest physical resist armor possible.

Not sure why that would change. Doesn't the stuff with the highest physical absorption generally have good poise?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Vermain posted:

They should either put up or shut up. Tell us, in exact, mechanical detail what Poise does, instead of treating your customers with a holier-than-thou level of disrespect.

Wow dude, chill the hell out.

It was a Namco rep said it. It's not like Miyazki said get gud scrub.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

voltron lion force posted:

I agree but I think you are making it to be malicious when its probably just a mistake

e: the response I mean

Yeah there's some sort of misunderstanding here, either on the part of the Bamco rep or the From employee.

So has anyone tested the "poise turns on when you use a weapon art that grants it" theory?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

This reminded me that you can get your fat knight set right at the start of the game with Sword Master glitch.
Also the ladder trick was exquisite.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Yeah there's some sort of misunderstanding here, either on the part of the Bamco rep or the From employee.

So has anyone tested the "poise turns on when you use a weapon art that grants it" theory?

My testing is thus: I maxed Aldritch faithful with a garbage spellcaster build and won my fights with a raw morning star wearing robes and using perseverance constantly. My poise was junk and I never got staggered out of perseverance by anyone.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Since I can push through any attack in robes with my mace when it's on, I don't think it gets turned on, it gives you a boost.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Kobogartimer posted:

Not sure why that would change. Doesn't the stuff with the highest physical absorption generally have good poise?

Yes...but you get the highest poise usually wearing the highest weight armor like Havel's.

I'm pointing out that as long as you can get mostly comparable physical resists, the only other guiding stat to your choice of armor is weight (barring situational resists), whereas if poise worked correctly, the heavier weight wouldn't be as big a deal. You lose quickroll, but gain the ability to tank through most hits.

As the gifs in the article showed, if you're getting staggered by hollows in Firelink using full Havel's, why would you ever wear it over Knights?

Similarly, if you're good sacrificing a bit of physical resist to stay under 70% equip weight and still use a greatweapon, why would you use Knights over, say, Dancer's? Or Shadow Garb?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shindragon posted:

It was a Namco rep said it. It's not like Miyazki said get gud scrub.

Namco is speaking directly for From Software as the publisher, in this case. To be clear, my ire's directed at Namco for what is frankly terrible do-nothing PR. Stating "everything is fine" in complete contradiction of the facts - serving as the voice of the company that produced the game - paints From in a bad light, regardless of whether or not they're actually aware of or responsible for a core mechanical system being flat out nonexistant.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, they made the game. I think they know how their game is supposed to work more than you do.

Oh you poor, sweet summer child.

Various portions of From actually do not know how their own game works.

During a dev Q&A before Dark Souls III was released, From devs were asked about whether the game will use dedicated servers or peer-to-peer connections.

They were confused by this question, because according to them Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 were 100% handled by dedicated servers, with no peer-to-peer networking involved.

Let us compare with this post by Suspicious Dish in the DS1 thread:

Suspicious Dish posted:

For those who aren't aware to how Dark Souls multiplayer works, the download region does gently caress-all nothing, so don't bother changing it.

The game connects to matchmaking servers when you start up the game -- even just sitting at the title screen. The matchmaking protocol is basically a dumb version of IRC or something -- everybody just spams their Steam64 ID into a giant chatroom. From there, the game chooses a number of Steam IDs (there is some logic I haven't figured out in which it tries to choose), and tries to connect to 20 other players also playing, or "nodes".

The nodes themselves are the things that store and send everything about the game world. There is no central database of messages or bloodstains at all. Every message seen screen only shows up when the person who left it is online.

DSCM is a mod that allows you to bypass the matchmaking server and connect to another node directly with their Steam64 ID. The game seems to also have a fallback recovery system, but, basically, once you connect to a single node, you'll try to also connect to their connected nodes as well. It doesn't kick in that often.

When I tried investigating this, I found out that the "matchmaking server" you connect to seems to be a pool of ~20 odd servers (they're all hidden behind one IP, so I don't know how many there really are...). Normally, these servers all talk to each other. A few of those servers seem to be disconnected from the rest of them, and that's why netplay is down for some people some of the time.

The only way to get connected to a new matchmaking server is to fully shut down the game client and restart. Quitting the game to the menu doesn't work -- the game is still connected and searching for nodes at the title screen.

Using DSCM or P2P Watchdog can show you how many nodes you have currently connected, as well as turning on the game's special debug mode to visualize node count.

P2P is blatantly involved in Dark Souls 1, it's how all that happens between phantoms is handled, how messages are handled...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 11, 2016

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Yes...but you get the highest poise usually wearing the highest weight armor like Havel's.

I'm pointing out that as long as you can get mostly comparable physical resists, the only other guiding stat to your choice of armor is weight (barring situational resists), whereas if poise worked correctly, the heavier weight wouldn't be as big a deal. You lose quickroll, but gain the ability to tank through most hits.

Imagine PvP as it is now, except every second guy is able to "tank through most hits".

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I really don't give a gently caress about balancing the stat around PvP, poise either works or it doesn't. Right now it doesn't. It wasn't a problem in DS or DSII PvP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"Poise is working as intended."

Okay, cool, great. Mind telling us what that means from a player's perspective?

Jesus. I'm all for being obtuse, I love these games for it, but when something is a stat on my character sheet I want to know what it does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm more and more swayed to the belief that the lack of any external documentation on the mechanical underpinnings of the game is far more due to lovely internal documentation than a deliberate attempt to be obtuse, frankly.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

"Poise is working as intended."

Okay, cool, great. Mind telling us what that means from a player's perspective?

Jesus. I'm all for being obtuse, I love these games for it, but when something is a stat on my character sheet I want to know what it does.

Especially if it's completely changed from how it worked in the prior games

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Lotish posted:

It sounds like Dragonslayer Armor has moves I haven't seen, judging by what you guys are talking about.

Yeah, I didn't get to see even half of Pontiff's moveset (he has a grab???). I lucked out not getting Aldrich's infinite arrows too, I assumed everyone was just complaining about the phase 1 version.

I dig how varied the movesets are but some definitely crap on the player more than others.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Various portions of From actually do not know how their own game works.

First off, calling someone a summer child is like super condescending and makes you sound like a dick.

Secondly, this is probably the case with most games made my huge teams.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kobogartimer posted:

Imagine PvP as it is now, except every second guy is able to "tank through most hits".

Considering they just roll out of most things it wouldn't matter.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Lol i'm enjoying my new title

I wouldn't place too much faith in the Bandai rep's answer to Kotaku's question because this is at least the second time they've publically had some clueless customer service person answer a question they don't understand through a language barrier, and the first answer was the opposite. It's not like the game is bad or something

P.S. how do I make a good INT build. right now i've got a fire longsword, Sage's rapier, young and bellowing dragon rings, and the Great Soul Arrow class of spells attuned and it's working pretty well but I feel like there must be a secret to make it better

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^^ drat lol

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Paul Zuvella posted:

First off, calling someone a summer child is like super condescending and makes you sound like a dick.

Secondly, this is probably the cast with most games made my huge teams.

Then maybe you shouldn't be a dick to someone with an answer like "maybe they know about the game more than you" when there is a demonstrated incident of that not being the case? Hmmm?

Given your second bit, how about you don't answer the question if you don't know the answer, instead of saying something blatantly false that everyone who dug into the games knew for years?

The point is that the poise non-answer given has a distressingly higher-than-zero chance of being given because "we don't actually know, so I'm making something up".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

swamp waste posted:

Lol i'm enjoying my new title

What prompted that. :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

The point is that the poise non-answer given has a distressingly higher-than-zero chance of being given because "we don't actually know, so I'm making something up".

It is always a poor situation when it would be less frustrating to hear "We don't care, go gently caress yourself" just for the closure, than obtuse "Nuh uh, it's TOTALLY working as intended!... No we're not saying how bye! *Drops mike*"

I guess now we have another multi week wait until we get someone saying anything further on the subject from Namco, or god forbid Fromsoft.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2016

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I really don't give a gently caress about balancing the stat around PvP, poise either works or it doesn't. Right now it doesn't. It wasn't a problem in DS or DSII PvP.

My mistake, I assumed you quoting my post meant you were talking about the same thing as me??

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

swamp waste posted:

P.S. how do I make a good INT build. right now i've got a fire longsword, Sage's rapier, young and bellowing dragon rings, and the Great Soul Arrow class of spells attuned and it's working pretty well but I feel like there must be a secret to make it better

Infuse a raw weapon and buff it with magic weapon instead, otherwise you're on the right track.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Okay, if its working properly, why not tell us what it actually does?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Kobogartimer posted:

My mistake, I assumed you quoting my post meant you were talking about the same thing as me??

You wrote:

Kobogartimer posted:

Does anyone actually believe that "enabling" poise would do anything other than make PvP a poo poo show? I know plenty of people don't like it as it stands, but the problem isn't that it's too easy to stop people with straight swords from spamming r1.

So what is the problem, then?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The new Diablo season started and I haven't been following the game or the thread much at all lately but I played some last night and actually got a Farron invasion. They apparently can happen?

It surprised the hell out of me when it popped up too. I saw the flashy message and was like "oh god, I'm not even embered" and then I realized that 1) I had Farron equipped and 2) believe it or not that's what it's supposed to do!

I've noticed that the emblem flashes even when I'm not in Farron Keep now as well. Is that new?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Out of curiosity, has anyone but the uploader of the poise video actually been able to "enable poise" in the game? I'm aware of the existence of Cheat Engine, but has anyone else confirmed that there's a DS1-style poise system and that it can be enabled?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Section Z posted:

I guess now we have another multi week wait until we get someone saying anything further on the subject from Namco, or god forbid Fromsoft.

Bamco has to get all their answers from From, they seriously have no clue.

So either way, it's all from From in one way or another.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I am impressed that PR guy managed to come back with the worst response possible.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Someone needs to make an easy patch that enables poise and distribute it far and wide. When everyone is in the soft ban online pool, it's functionally the same as no one being in it. :getin:

(And before anyone says 'but then you'll be playing with hackers!' I want you to explain how that's any different than right now.)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Does the Sage Rapier absolutely loving suck or is it just me? I'm level 30 and hate this loving stupid rear end busted rear end broke rear end thing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BobTheJanitor posted:

Someone needs to make an easy patch that enables poise and distribute it far and wide. When everyone is in the soft ban online pool, it's functionally the same as no one being in it. :getin:

If it's a parameter edit like it is almost undoubtedly is, using a memory edit to enable it would actually more than likely not get you banned.

Fun, huh?

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Decrepus posted:

Does the Sage Rapier absolutely loving suck or is it just me? I'm level 30 and hate this loving stupid rear end busted rear end broke rear end thing.

It has good reach but the base damage and scaling are utter garbage. Its purpose is to hold in your left hand and then two-hand your other weapon for that item find boost.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So wait, does black crystaling out of an invasion hurt your ability to do further invasions? Because for a while I was testing to see if I could get a bluecop to enter a game by invading and then staying in an out of the way place for a minute or two and then crystaling out (sorry guinea pig hosts, also this didn't work).

In fairness if a bluecop ever came I was going to let him kill me because good god that covenant is a slog and I figure maybe people will pay it forward or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't stop laughing at Evil Solaire's frownyface sun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Definitely not just you.

Infuse an Estoc or something with Crystal, it'll hit harder. Or make a weapon Raw and buff it with (Greater/Crystal) Magic Weapon. Crystal Sage's Rapier is basically just for the item find boost, which sucks because it looks really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why I'm getting dropped frames in Irthyll when on release that area ran perfectly for me.