Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Idea: a Twin Eye Orb that you can use to be matched with another invader to jointly invade the world of a host with two or more phantoms summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

You wrote:

So what is the problem, then?

Nothing in my opinion other than me never getting auto-summoned and some weapons being slightly possibly overtuned.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Kobogartimer posted:

Nothing in my opinion other than me never getting auto-summoned and some weapons being slightly possibly overtuned.

Ok, great, but your implication was that "PVP would become a shitshow". PvP has always been a shitshow in From series for various reasons; poise worked as we all understood it to work in Demons, DS, and DSII and the experience of pvp wasn't any worse for it.

The way you beat poise stackers in those games was to circle backstab since you'd get hosed hitting them directly.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
From is kind of astounding in their ability to put together 95% of a game beautifully and then gently caress up the remaining 5% in a way no sane human being would ever manage to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ok, great, but your implication was that "PVP would become a shitshow". PvP has always been a shitshow in From series for various reasons; poise worked as we all understood it to work in Demons, DS, and DSII and the experience of pvp wasn't any worse for it.

The way you beat poise stackers in those games was to circle backstab since you'd get hosed hitting them directly.

Demon's Souls doesn't have poise. It has hyperarmor on heavy weapon attacks instead.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oops, yeah, it's been a while since I played Demons.

Maybe this is just an artifact of the current hosed nature of poise, but I swear sometimes that when I'm using a greatweapon I'll hyperarmor/poisetank/whatever through a hit that would have staggered me otherwise.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why I'm getting dropped frames in Irthyll when on release that area ran perfectly for me.

Weirdly the only places that ever really poo poo themselves for me were that one connecting bridge from the Sage boss after-bit to the Cathedral zone, then the Cathedral rafters somehow. Otherwise the game's run consistently well, damnedest thing.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

None of the games have had perfect PvP but it doesn't really mean I would change anything. This game's is no better or worse, poise or no poise and neither is its PvE for that matter. Ok just kidding it's better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tetracube posted:

From is kind of astounding in their ability to put together 95% of a game beautifully and then gently caress up the remaining 5% in a way no sane human being would ever manage to

I still get a giggle in AC4 out of how "over boost" (as in, Overdrive) was instead translated as "overed boost".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oops, yeah, it's been a while since I played Demons.

Maybe this is just an artifact of the current hosed nature of poise, but I swear sometimes that when I'm using a greatweapon I'll hyperarmor/poisetank/whatever through a hit that would have staggered me otherwise.

If you're mid-animation, that's hyperarmor at work. If it's happening while you're just moving or stationary then maybe we know even less than we thought about poise.

DS3's current system actually looks a lot like Demon's Souls, just without the toggle escape you could do in Demon's (it has the "you can generally roll out after two hits" thing instead). No poise, greatweapon attacks have hyperarmor, heavy armor is useless :v: The big difference, of course, is that DS3 claims to have poise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

If you're mid-animation, that's hyperarmor at work. If it's happening while you're just moving or stationary then maybe we know even less than we thought about poise.

DS3's current system actually looks a lot like Demon's Souls, just without the toggle escape you could do in Demon's (it has the "you can generally roll out after two hits" thing instead). No poise, greatweapon attacks have hyperarmor, heavy armor is useless :v: The big difference, of course, is that DS3 claims to have poise.

In my Demon's Souls game with a bud we're working our way through weekly we just got the Fluted Set and blew up like eight levels getting the Royal able to use it and not fat roll, god drat it.

My friend was convinced poise was a thing. :haw:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Someone needs to make an easy patch that enables poise and distribute it far and wide. When everyone is in the soft ban online pool, it's functionally the same as no one being in it. :getin:

(And before anyone says 'but then you'll be playing with hackers!' I want you to explain how that's any different than right now.)

My understanding is that nobody has been able to locate the pointer that was used to enable poise as depicted in the YouTube video.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I'm reclassifying Yhorm as my least favourite boss in any game ever. On my second character I thought 'Oh, I have loads of stamina on this melee-focused dude, it will be so much better!'

Sieg died while I was picking up the loving stormruler and once Yhorm goes all fiery he is glued to me and gives absolutely zero chances to charge up the windblade.

I would take two nameless king fights over this gimmick poo poo that the AI can just decide to make impossible.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why I'm getting dropped frames in Irthyll when on release that area ran perfectly for me.

Irthyll enabled poise in the last patch

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Did the Dancer Sword Master glitch ever get fixed?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i don't know why anyone would think from has any idea how their game works when they gave straight swords greatsword hitboxes

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Melanion posted:

I'm reclassifying Yhorm as my least favourite boss in any game ever. On my second character I thought 'Oh, I have loads of stamina on this melee-focused dude, it will be so much better!'

Sieg died while I was picking up the loving stormruler and once Yhorm goes all fiery he is glued to me and gives absolutely zero chances to charge up the windblade.

I would take two nameless king fights over this gimmick poo poo that the AI can just decide to make impossible.

On the one hand Yhorm's boss fight is a lovely gimmick but on the other hand it's such an easy way to farm souls and sunlight medals I can't really hate it. On your next run you can pick up the Storm Ruler before you save Sieg; entering the boss fight doesn't end his quest and will make keeping him alive a bit easier.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I find it funny that people are so convinced Poise does nothing, especially after the DS2 Agility fiasco.

CheatEngine warriors are claiming that they know exactly how everything in the game works and Poise does literally nothing, based on their limited access to the game's machinery.

Meanwhile videos like this are quietly ignored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dpbRQi9JiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3elfWA41FQ

The constant claims that Poise is the magical missing ingredient that will solve the woes of the baddies who can't handle Estoc/Dark Sword users are hilarious. Poise would make those builds only more simplistic and degenerate. The game is better without the old Poise mechanics.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 11, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tykero posted:

The constant claims that Poise is the magical missing ingredient that will solve the woes of the baddies who can't handle Estoc/Dark Sword users are hilarious. Poise would make those builds only more simplistic and degenerate. The game is better without the old Poise mechanics.

So uh, any of those opinions have PvE rats staggering havels in mind? Or are you wholly basing your stance on PvP meta?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tykero posted:

I find it funny that people are so convinced Poise does nothing, especially after the DS2 Agility fiasco.

CheatEngine warriors are claiming that they know exactly how everything in the game works and Poise does literally nothing, based on their limited access to the game's machinery.

Meanwhile videos like this are quietly ignored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dpbRQi9JiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3elfWA41FQ

Poise is disabled try it again with a player it wont work.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So now that Dark Souls 3 has been out for a while, what is the objective, definitive, and correct ranking of Souls games?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Section Z posted:

So uh, any of those opinions have PvE rats staggering havels in mind? Or are you wholly basing your stance on PvP meta?

Don't stand in between three rats drooling and mashing R1. It works pretty well for me, and I use mostly slow weapons.
"x is different from previous games and therefore must not be working properly" is not a good argument.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

So now that Dark Souls 3 has been out for a while, what is the objective, definitive, and correct ranking of Souls games?

Straight Swords>>>>>>>>> all

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Polo-Rican posted:

1. Bloodborne

2. Souls 3

3. Their associated DLCs

4. who gives a gently caress about the rest

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Polo-Rican posted:

Bloodborne's the best

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Did the Dancer Sword Master glitch ever get fixed?

It's still working as of a few hours ago when I last attempted it.

Anyone else having trouble sticking to alternate characters in this game? I keep wanting to make gimmicks to mess around with but I keep getting disappointed how other weapons/spells work compared to my strength build character I finished the game on. :smith:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tykero posted:

Don't stand in between three rats drooling and mashing R1. It works pretty well for me, and I use mostly slow weapons.
"x is different from previous games and therefore must not be working properly" is not a good argument.

I would care if it weren't for the fact that the devs already said it's been disabled and Bandai namco said they are looking into it. Poise kinda works in PVE but only kinda it's a pointless stat. In PVP poise is fully disabled.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Poise is disabled try it again with a player it wont work.

The old poise system is disabled.
Please don't presume that people have scoured the source code and know the exact mechanics for everything in the game. It's clear that whatever poise does, it's subtle.

Again, recall the debate about Agility around Dark Souls 2's early days.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

lords of the fallen

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

I would care if it weren't for the fact that the devs already said it's been disabled and Bandai namco said they are looking into it. Poise kinda works in PVE but only kinda it's a pointless stat. In PVP poise is fully disabled.

The devs have never said that Poise is disabled.

Edit: Do not confuse NamcoBandai with FromSoftware.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bubba Smith posted:

1. Bloodborne

Space Hamlet posted:

Bloodborne's the best

God Dammit I have a Very Powerful PC so I sure as hell don't want to buy a playstation 4, but... *begins to sweat*... the best Souls title...

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tykero posted:

The old poise system is disabled.
Please don't presume that people have scoured the source code and know the exact mechanics for everything in the game. It's clear that whatever poise does, it's subtle.

Again, recall the debate about Agility around Dark Souls 2's early days.

Look I can find a video that backs up my opinions too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21kjagkSNw

Devs and Bandi namco said it's daiabled so VoV.

Tykero posted:

The devs have never said that Poise is disabled.

Edit: Do not confuse NamcoBandai with FromSoftware.

(citation needed)

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Look I can find a video that backs up my opinions too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21kjagkSNw

Devs and Bandi namco said it's daiabled so VoV.

Your video is not a comprehensive test of all game systems and their interactions with Poise. It is not sufficient to state that Poise does nothing. Merely that it does not work like DS1/2 Poise.

Szcwczuk posted:

(citation needed)

Indeed. Please do cite FromSoftware's statement about Poise being disabled.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
either way it feels like poo poo

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tykero posted:

Your video is not a comprehensive test of all game systems and their interactions with Poise. It is not sufficient to state that Poise does nothing. Merely that it does not work like DS1/2 Poise.

Indeed. Please do cite FromSoftware's statement about Poise being disabled.

And your less then 2 min long videos are a "comprehensive test of all game systems and their interactions with Poise"?

Come on.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
When I first played it I thought Dark Souls 3 was the greatest game ever made, but now that I've learned that poise is functionally pretty much the same as Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls, I hate it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i take it they have't fix poise yet? why the gently caress did they make it an invisible stat this time

i'm also real glad that the FUGS that requires 10 str more than the dragon tooth and is substantially heavier than it does less damage :thumbsup:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Szcwczuk posted:

(citation needed)

Sure here's my citation that Fromsoft never said a thing:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Jose posted:

i take it they have't fix poise yet? why the gently caress did they make it an invisible stat this time

It's a worthless stat currently they have not fixed it yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JKartje/status/727205465852006400
http://forums.bandainamcogames.com/showthread.php?529129-The-Poise-thing

I know it wont be good enough as it's not the lead dev/CEO.

Szcwczuk fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

And your less then 2 min long videos are a "comprehensive test of all game systems and their interactions with Poise"?

Come on.

No, it isn't, and it doesn't need to be. The experimental space required for "poise does something" and "poise does nothing at all" is vastly different.

The video does show, however, that eliminating most other variables, the character appears to react differently with 0 poise compared to greater than 0 poise. It is evidence of some interaction that begs further examination.