Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Sir Kodiak posted:

No, because America is already great :patriot:

(printed in a rational centrist font)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The placement of Iron Man, GotG and Civil War in most of these lists is telling me I should get on watching Winter Soldier

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Exactly. They weren't embarrassed by who Captain America was and let him be Captain America. Steve Rogers is, by some distance, my favourite character in superhero movies for this reason.

This criticism comes up a lot. I don't think Man of Steel is embarrassed by "who Superman is," it just explored the premise of the character through a philosophical lens that made people feel weird. The "humorlessness" of the movie is precisely because of how seriously Snyder took it; it literally asks questions about divinity and the problem of evil. It's a treatment more consistent with The Last Temptation of Christ than a superhero film, so if anything, I'd say Snyder wasn't embarrassed *enough* by the source material.

Steve Rogers, despite his virtues, isn't literally divine. So, characterizing him as simply a really good dude is an easier exercise. It probably helps that it's a period piece, set during WW2, against the Nazis. The complexities of real-world geopolitics go away when he's fighting superlative evil as part of the now-mythologized "Greatest Generation."

(Not that I'm saying I don't like the Captain America movies, I just think they're engaging with very different and ultimately more digestible ideas. They're easily the strongest thread of any of the individual Avengers' movies. And are certainly more successful than the DC films have been.)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think I'd split the Marvel movies into "Genuinely Good Movies", "Something I'd Watch When I Just Want to Relax and Don't Really Feel Like Engaging in Anything" and "I Never Want to Watch This Ever Again".

So Captain America and Iron Man 3 fit into the first category, everything else goes into the second one, and Thor 2, Avengers 2, Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 go in the last one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheKingofSprings posted:

The placement of Iron Man, GotG and Civil War in most of these lists is telling me I should get on watching Winter Soldier

It is really hard to argue that Civil War, Winter Soldier, and GotG are not the top 3 Marvel movies. And even beyond Marvel movies, all three of them are excellent films overall and stand on their own very well despite being late entries in a huge series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

Winter Soldier is an extremely good movie in a vacuum and it's only really hurt when there's no real follow up to it in subsequent films.

Or rather, the follow up is "we got rid of all the baddies, so we don't really have to worry anymore".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Take it with a grain of salt, but BBS is reporting a leak about Justice League's main villain by a guy who leaked a number of accurate details about the BvS movie: Steppenwolf, acting as leader of Darkseid's military forces while saving Darkseid for a brief scene or two to establish him as a more overarching threat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is really hard to argue that Civil War, Winter Soldier, and GotG are not the top 3 Marvel movies.

I would say that it's fairly easy to argue that First Avenger is much better than Civil War.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, but BBS is reporting a leak about Justice League's main villain by a guy who leaked a number of accurate details about the BvS movie: Steppenwolf, acting as leader of Darkseid's military forces while saving Darkseid for a brief scene or two to establish him as a more overarching threat.

I realize it's not the movies fault but that name is going to make a lot of people think of the band Steppenwolf. I'm probably going to giggle like an idiot when they say it.

Jenny Angel posted:

Hell yeah buddy. I'm sorry I plunged a knife into the beating heart of Dredd over and over while shouting "chaos reigns"

What's wrong with Dredd? I though it was one of the better action movies in the last few years.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
i finally saw Civil War and yeah Boseman and Black Panther own. I'm glad they gave him as big of a part as they did, and it felt organic. Spider-Man felt shoved in, but he's Peter Parker walking off the page of a comic so I can kinda forgive it.

My favorite part was when Bucky says "I'm not killing anybody" and then immedietely rams a man through a wall with a cinder block, and then continues to murder like 6 more people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

My favorite part was when Bucky says "I'm not killing anybody" and then immedietely rams a man through a wall with a cinder block, and then continues to murder like 6 more people.

if you consult the Batman v Superman thread, you'll find that you can actually ram a human being through as many as six walls without killing him

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Stacks posted:

I realize it's not the movies fault but that name is going to make a lot of people think of the band Steppenwolf. I'm probably going to giggle like an idiot when they say it.
No it won't.

quote:

What's wrong with Dredd? I though it was one of the better action movies in the last few years.

She doesn't actually hate it she just isn't as jazzed as most.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

GonSmithe posted:

No it won't.
Everyone is aware of and loves the band Steppenwolf.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Stacks posted:

They'll embrace it. The trailer will feature a villain monologue over a creepy, slowed-down rendition of "Magic Carpet Ride."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

i finally saw Civil War and yeah Boseman and Black Panther own. I'm glad they gave him as big of a part as they did, and it felt organic.

He was good in 42 and Get On Up, so he wasn't going to be the problem, but they made a way to make Black Panther an enhanced fighty dude that felt distinct and interesting. Add in Ryan Coogler and it's gonna be good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stacks posted:

Everyone is aware of and loves the band Steppenwolf.

They'll probably use Desaad and make the character a combination of ideas from both.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

He was good in 42 and Get On Up, so he wasn't going to be the problem, but they made a way to make Black Panther an enhanced fighty dude that felt distinct and interesting. Add in Ryan Coogler and it's gonna be good.

That's why I was excited, Boseman's strength is being the best part of a movie with a lovely script. He did great in this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Devin Faraci, also known as a guy whose last half dozen or so DC movie rumors were debunked within days.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Leaked? Who's the source, YouTube?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

GonSmithe posted:

Bucky says "I'm not killing anybody" and then immedietely rams a man through a wall with a cinder block, and then continues to murder like 6 more people.

Bucky and Steve attended the Daredevil "scream at other people for killing criminals and then throw a man head first over a 6 story railing" school of fighting.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.yahoo.com/news/now-petition-stop-disney-paying-152516671.html

Whether we like the current crop of Marvel movies or DC movies or whomever, can we all at least agree this is asinine?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I havent seen all the Marvel movies, or even most of them. Ive only seen Iron Man Thor Captain America Avengers and GOTG, as well the action scenes in Avengers 2 that I fast forwarded to on a streaming site. Of those I would rate Iron Man and GOTG in the upper tier and the other movies in the lower tier with the stipulation that I saw Iron Man in middle school only and I only saw Cap in a movie theater drive through with the sound not working correctly. For the others I searched Yourube for the fight scenes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Whether we like the current crop of Marvel movies or DC movies or whomever, can we all at least agree this is asinine?

Yeah that's just stupid.

Disney has no reason nor motive to pay critics to have terrible opinions.

Critics pay themselves to have terrible opinions!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I havent seen all the Marvel movies, or even most of them. Ive only seen Iron Man Thor Captain America Avengers and GOTG, as well the action scenes in Avengers 2 that I fast forwarded to on a streaming site. Of those I would rate Iron Man and GOTG in the upper tier and the other movies in the lower tier with the stipulation that I saw Iron Man in middle school only and I only saw Cap in a movie theater drive through with the sound not working correctly. For the others I searched Yourube for the fight scenes.

What's the best fight scene?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Cap vs. Winter Soldier on the highway was as good as everyone said it was, I think. Pretty badass scene. I also like the Batroc fight from that movie. Its hard to say since all the Marvel movies have good fight scenes pretty much theyre mainly just tiresome in other respects.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'll always contend that Thor: The Dark World is a super fun movie to look at, if not to watch. The dark elves, Malekith, Kurse, the elven and Asgardian ships and architecture are all great looking and well realized, and the battle of Vanaheim looks like the biggest budget episode of Stargate: SG-1 ever.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I'll always contend that Thor: The Dark World is a super fun movie to look at, if not to watch. The dark elves, Malekith, Kurse, the elven and Asgardian ships and architecture are all great looking and well realized, and the battle of Vanaheim looks like the biggest budget episode of Stargate: SG-1 ever.

Im not going to pay 17.50 to watch a big budget episode of Star Trek.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

net cafe scandal posted:

Cap vs. Winter Soldier on the highway was as good as everyone said it was, I think. Pretty badass scene. I also like the Batroc fight from that movie. Its hard to say since all the Marvel movies have good fight scenes pretty much theyre mainly just tiresome in other respects.

I'm partial to Iron Man vs. Iron Monger back in IM1.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phylodox posted:

, and the battle of Vanaheim looks like the biggest budget episode of Stargate: SG-1 ever.

drat that's ruthless dude

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'm partial to Iron Man vs. Iron Monger back in IM1.

I think it was pretty good but I was 13 when I made that judfggment call.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hat Thoughts posted:

drat that's ruthless dude

I guess that depends on how you feel about Stargate. Guardians of the Galaxy is, like, my favourite comic book movie ever, but it's still just a big budget episode of Farscape, and that's awesome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Iron Man 1's final fight is one of the very few superhero battle that has actual strategy in it (the freezing problem, sabotaging the enemy suit, etc.) Most superhero movies have really boring fights where they just punch each other or blast each other boringly.

Ant Man is probably top tier in fight choreography and cool/creative usage of power.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HIJK posted:

Bucky and Steve attended the Daredevil "scream at other people for killing criminals and then throw a man head first over a 6 story railing" school of fighting.

Not to go too TVIV but this was why Elektra was my favorite thing about season 2 besides the Punisher. When the inevitable "we're not so different you and I" style conversation happens it's totally true because yes, DD actually does have a blast beating people to death. The action is crazy but still just realistic enough that the nah man they're just "knocked out" they're totally fine reasoning is impossible to apply for most of the series.

I hate Iron Man 1's fight so much because it started out cool with the various tricks Stark had to improvise to win but then at the end we see Stark hit by a blast and is fine afterwards while Staine is clearly not even in the path of the blast but then dies because.......?

I wish the rest of Ant-Man was as good as its final fight though, it's great fun.

net cafe scandal posted:

Im not going to pay 17.50 to watch a big budget episode of Star Trek.

I bet Paramount wishes someone said this before Star Trek: Nemesis was made. Remember Berman being all blustery and proud of how Shinzon was going to be "an even better and more memorable villain than Khan?" :haw: I'm glad Tom Hardy has been in some great stuff since though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

net cafe scandal posted:

I saw Iron Man in middle school only

Oh god. I saw Iron Man on opening night and I was going into Grad school.

This is the first time SA has made me feel old.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Oh god. I saw Iron Man on opening night and I was going into Grad school.

This is the first time SA has made me feel old.

I was 29 when it came out.

You're welcome.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is it? Seems reasonable to me that Disney would pay critics to post negative reviews for X-Men: Apocalypse despite it releasing weeks after Civil War, such that it isn't in direct competition.

Wait. No. That is not reasonable. That's stupid. Carry on.

(The Iron Monger end fight is pretty cool. But at no point does Tony say, "some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill." Therefore it is not the best.)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some backroom dealing for good reviews, but critics don't have the power they once had. Paying for good reviews doesn't sound like a worthwhile investment.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I was 29 when it came out.

You're welcome.

If my math is right you're over 100 years old?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I thought every Marvel movie is garbage, make up your drat minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Falcon, Cap, Maria Hill, Widow, and Fury working together to shut down the helicarrier launch in Winter Soldier is a great rollercoaster. The ominous launch from the Potomac is great stuff, as is the pilots' realization that the helicarriers have been reprogrammed to destroy each other. The score throughout the entire thing is just tremendous.

The big airport battle in Civil War is a ton of fun, and doesn't carry the weight of the final battle in Winter Soldier, but holy poo poo was that fun to watch.

But the finale of Winter Soldier, by a mile.

Here's that spoiler'd part in a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ru5wM7fl7g

One more edit: I love that the final battle scene showed that Falcon was an equal partner to Cap and his team, and incredibly competent at being a superhero. I take so much joy in Falcon being written well, and in Anthony Mackie doing such a great job with him - complete opposite of Don Cheadle's Rhodes' character.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 12, 2016

• Locked thread