Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm personally looking forward to Dark Souls IV: The Quest For Poise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Any good strength weapons that upgrade with twinkling? I'm sitting on an unused pile.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

TaurusOxford posted:

Not possible.

in NG*

*though getting it to work in NG+ and beyond is like solving a rubicks cube with 7 sides in a pitch black room

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

hard counter posted:

Any good strength weapons that upgrade with twinkling? I'm sitting on an unused pile.

Black Knight Greataxe is a twinkly weapon and has pretty much the highest native AR in the game and also you can launch people 10 feet into the air. It's pretty cool.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

in NG*

*though getting it to work in NG+ and beyond is like solving a rubicks cube with 7 sides in a pitch black room

quote:

In order for Greirat to survive Lothric you must complete Seigwards quest in NG, after his quest you get his armor, then you may proceed to NG+, Save Grierat from his cell, send him to pillage the undead settlement, then before you send him to Irithyll, give Siegward his armor in the well which you already have from NG, you no longer have to buy it from Patches. Now both Patches and Seigward have the Catarina armor set which is essential to Greirats rescue(DO NOT BUY THE CATRINA SET OFF PATCHES AT ANY TIME) (the reason why they both need it, is because Seigward is the only one that needs to save Grierat in Irithyll, because Patches will only help him once, so send patches to Lothric once Grierat goes there). Meet and talk to Seigward in Irithyll, then send Greirat to pillage Irithyll, defeat a boss. He will be saved by Seigward, and come back. Before sending him to lothric make sure you clear out some things first. Complete all of the Consumed Kings Garden area and defeat Oceiros, kill the two dragons and thier black sludge in Lothric, kill the crystal sage in the archives, kill the three NPC in archives, kill the three golden angels at the roof of the archives, kill the Irithyll Warrior in archives, make sure to open up every shortcut in both Lothric and Archives. Once all these requirements are met send Greirat, reload Firelink and send Patches (who has the catarina set still), then defeat a boss and Greirat will come back to Firelink with new wares. (needs confirmation)

Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmm

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

New Concept Hole posted:

I'm personally looking forward to Dark Souls IV: The Quest For Poise.

I look forward to Dark Souls, the Flamethrower.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

Black Knight Greataxe is a twinkly weapon and has pretty much the highest native AR in the game and also you can launch people 10 feet into the air. It's pretty cool.

it is but it is also really really slow and that can take some getting used to. also it has decent scaling in dex as well as str so it doesn't reach its full potential of ~700 ar without a quality build

Section Z posted:

I look forward to Dark Souls, the Flamethrower.

I like bloodborne too

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Aldrich: Devourer of poise

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Not possible.

Might be possible in ng+. Haven't confirmed or denied this myself, yet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Rokstar posted:

On the subject of Greirat, is it even possible to have him come back from the castle alive, and if so what are the conditions?

Someone reported that if give Siegward his own armor in NG+ (from the set he dropped in the first playthrough) and don't buy it off Patches, then you can let Sieg save him the first time and Patches can save him the third time, but I haven't tested the veracity of it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Purple signed down at the Cleansing bonfire. Summoned by a very wary/cautious host. We co-oped through to the big water rooms; host never really got damaged enough to be a one hit kill. He unlocked the lower shortcut, then came back, chugged all his Estus and we had a nice little duel.

Had one a bit before that were the host wasn't quite as wary and gave me just too good an opening to ignore.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Because I have nothing better to do, I'm going to see if I ever get summoned as a phantom for the Nameless King. At level 15. Not really expecting anything but I'm going to give it a few minutes while I give the place a once-over for any treasures I missed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Aldrich Faithful covenant is so much fun. Now if only Watchdogs or Blades/Sentinels summoned me ever.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh, fart. It looks like that hacker I ran into the other day with a 50 foot dragon head and his buddy who shot me with a greatbow that had a hitscan projectile and cursed me ended up corrupting my save file so I've be soft banned. Great stuff.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Just won a 4v1 because the blue helper gave up and crystaled out after I kept dodging around him for 5 minutes. Blues not used to working for their ears.

Probably 50% of the time I have blued, I have won my ear before I even saw the invader.

Occasionally though you get a good fight with someone that isn't a total bitch and it is worth getting dragged into the game.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Oh, fart. It looks like that hacker I ran into the other day with a 50 foot dragon head and his buddy who shot me with a greatbow that had a hitscan projectile and cursed me ended up corrupting my save file so I've be soft banned. Great stuff.

I wish I could find some hard numbers on how prevalent this is, because I don't want to get Souls AIDS but I also don't want to stop PVPing.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 12, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm about to enter NG+3. I might as well put everything into health and immediately kill myself if I get embered, if from doesn't give a poo poo about the way they do the softbans and poo poo.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anybody know if I might be able to pull a steam cloud version of my save file from sometime yesterday? I know pretty much exactly when it happened and just need to get a save file from before that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

central dogma posted:

Why are people so stuck on poise when the game plays great without it? Do people still think From accidentally left it off? Also, if they made poise work how it did before, they'd have to reintroduce medium roll again, else we'll have everyone sitting at 69.9% equip load with high armor, poise, and fast roll. Screw that.

I really don't give a poo poo about PVP outside of acting goofy in someone else's world for our mutual benefit, but in PVE it is beyond frustrating for enemies to stunlock you when you're wearing medium armor and explicitly carrying the shield that increases poise and even the wolf ring because I couldn't think of a better ring to put in that slot at the moment. I should be able to trade a hit with this guy easy, then keep attacking him to kill off this otherwise easy as hell enemy, but NOPE.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

The Aldrich Faithful covenant is so much fun. Now if only Watchdogs or Blades/Sentinels summoned me ever.

I have this exact experience. Does Aldrich work for everyone? Maybe there is hope that they can fix whatever screws up the other two for some people.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Looks like I haven't been soft banned YET but who knows how long that will last.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Looks like I haven't been soft banned YET but who knows how long that will last.

Correct. Soft banning and the invalid game data warning are two different things. The soft banning deal is like a manual process on FROM's end. What criteria they screen for or consider 'actionable' is a big mystery.

So far there hasn't really been any instance of FROM actually banning because someone ELSE screwed with your character, but there is always the possibility that a huge ban wave swings through and gets tons of people.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Might be too late to ask, but do you have a backup of your save file from before you got hit by the dragon head dude?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem here is that we really don't know.

It is a manual process, and people even on this website have been banned for nothing.

There are people who have restarted the game who got banned anyway, so restoring a backup won't necessarily help, et cetera et cetera.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Wow those golden angel knights are like the gold standard of cheating NPCs no clipping through walls. Good times.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kiggles posted:

Correct. Soft banning and the invalid game data warning are two different things. The soft banning deal is like a manual process on FROM's end. What criteria they screen for or consider 'actionable' is a big mystery.

So far there hasn't really been any instance of FROM actually banning because someone ELSE screwed with your character, but there is always the possibility that a huge ban wave swings through and gets tons of people.

Hopefully you are correct and Tallgeese isn't. Probably isn't the case though. I am one of those people who uses cheat engine in lieu of farming for rare items because I hate that poo poo, so we'll see what happens.

As for an older save file, unless Steam has one that I can't find a way to get right now, I don't have one.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
Since the patch hit, has anyone been getting better success at blue cop at the higher SL levels? I'm still waiting for summons and it feels like an eternity (SL 82).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Got this drop for the first time today, reminded me of this thread

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Poise is the pendant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Skull Knight posted:

Since the patch hit, has anyone been getting better success at blue cop at the higher SL levels? I'm still waiting for summons and it feels like an eternity (SL 82).

I tried it on my first character since that's the one that I tried to get everything for the ring/spell trophies on, but at around level ~109 I got no hits whatsoever and eventually gave up. 82 seems like it'd get more hits than my character would but I guess that's not the case

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The ensemble is complete. Clothes and squat in hand, Handsome Patches is ready to roam the world in proper style.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Apparently I've been reading the fextralife wiki's darkmoon level ranges backwards because I'm illiterate, and staying at level 15 isn't actually doing me any favors like I thought it would. If I wanted to maximize the chance I get summoned for really low level PVP, do I really want to sit around level 35 or so? I should theoretically be summonable by a host range of level 5 to 45, right?

Edit: Okay, now I'm confused. Am I just stupid, or is the wiki saying opposite things here?
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

"Min/Max is given as the Host's min/max level relative to the invader's or phantom's level.

e.g. a Mound Maker can be 35 levels lower than the host"

Invasion from Mound-Maker Host - 10 Host + 35

That reads like any mound maker 10 level below, or 35 levels above the host can invade. But the quoted example is saying it's the other way around.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 12, 2016

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Cyberventurer posted:

Apparently I've been reading the fextralife wiki's darkmoon level ranges backwards because I'm illiterate, and staying at level 15 isn't actually doing me any favors like I thought it would. If I wanted to maximize the chance I get summoned for really low level PVP, do I really want to sit around level 35 or so? I should theoretically be summonable by a host range of level 5 to 45, right?

On my alt, at SL29 and +0 I get plenty of summons. I don't know why it's so messed up, but I can get one every couple of minutes sometimes if I'm lucky.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
And if I do get banned now, it will be all worth it, because I just invaded a fight club in Anor Londo with my latest gimmick. When my turn was up, I dropped into the arena and whipped out two bonewheel shields and started rolling at my opponent in full thorns armor. He collapsed, then curled up, then started throwing poo poo -- literal poo poo -- at me until I died.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Okay, enough of this poise nonsense. I'll take a look at it.

What effects are known to grant "poise" and actually work? I'll simply see what they do to the character.

Greatswords (and only greatswords from what I've seen) get hyper armor on swing if you get at least 1 poise. That's the only thing I've seen do absolutely anything with poise.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gologle posted:

I really don't give a poo poo about PVP outside of acting goofy in someone else's world for our mutual benefit, but in PVE it is beyond frustrating for enemies to stunlock you when you're wearing medium armor and explicitly carrying the shield that increases poise and even the wolf ring because I couldn't think of a better ring to put in that slot at the moment. I should be able to trade a hit with this guy easy, then keep attacking him to kill off this otherwise easy as hell enemy, but NOPE.

Only in Dark Souls III are a group of rats the most fearsome enemy in the game.

They really should fix poise so it's like DS1. I never liked DS2's system where the only reason to wear armor was for fashion or bonus purposes. That's why everyone ran around in Jester's set.\

edit: Also regarding the softban thing, I sent an email to Bandai-Namco about it as I got the INVALID DATA error for no reason as far as I could tell. B-N guy said that INVALID DATA just means FROM is going to review your data and if you clear it (or do what I did and port it to a family share account) you're fine. He also indicated there was some sort of server bug that was incorrectly flagging people who did nothing wrong, confirming speculation that making "progress" while offline could get an account flagged.

I've been porting the data back over and going offline so I can get achievements and it sucks that I'll basically never be able to use my first character on my main account, but I'm probably going to roll a new character for when the DLC comes out anyway.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 12, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://youtu.be/awlfn3SU0zo

:dogout:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Poise was still modestly important in ds2 even if the thresholds were fasionsouls friendly - Giant's Ring was super common in a lot of builds. People used Jester's chest piece for the phantom backstab immunity and loaded the rest with havels or some poo poo.

axeil posted:

Only in Dark Souls III are a group of rats the most fearsome enemy in the game.

The deadliest traps in the game in practice were probably the rat holes you could fall into imho. Runner up was just any groups of dudes that aggro together with flimsy daggers/rusty axes/moldy spears that sometimes go hog wild.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

turtlecrunch posted:

Got this drop for the first time today, reminded me of this thread

Fun stuff. I wasted a titanite slab bringing one of these to +10 before I knew about this really helpful poise info

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This exact thing happened to me in the room in the high wall with the first estus shard in the game. Had killed all the enemies, was chilling out and bam a dog lands on my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I think I fixed the failed summons issue I was having. I put my Xbox One in my router's DMZ, quit Dark Souls (normally and through the Xbox menu), switched power mode to energy saving and turned off/turn on the console. I just got summoned successfully just now (and as soon as I appeared it ended, the invader must have died). No concord :(. I checked the network settings on my Xbox and they switched from Moderate to Open.