Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

"Have you ever, or do you plan to forage for truffles?"

Y/N

Wasn't it "White truffles, black truffles, both, neither"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's a good IRC app?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's a good IRC app?

AndChat works great, but hasn't been updated in a while. It might not run well on newer devices.

That being said, there's not much to update in any IRC app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What's the PocketCasts of IRC apps

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Discord.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is a new battery drain for me. Any thoughts?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vyst posted:

This is a new battery drain for me. Any thoughts?

Pretty sure that's an app you recently uninstalled, and that's how the battery screen reports it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure that's an app you recently uninstalled, and that's how the battery screen reports it.

Interesting! Thanks

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What font is your system using

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got an LG G2 on T-Mobile, and just yesterday it asked me if I wanted to enable fast charging. Like an idiot, I figured it was something T-Mobile had just added as an update, but after charging for a little while, it didn't seem like it was going faster at all. Did I just give myself a virus? I can't find it in my apps menu, so I don't have a name to search for.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Do you use ES File Explorer? It asked me about fast charging the other day. You can disable it in that app's settings if that's what triggered it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

Do you use ES File Explorer? It asked me about fast charging the other day. You can disable it in that app's settings if that's what triggered it.

Yeah, so I just uninstalled that. The app is so weirdly full of adware now. Is there a go-to file explorer that supports SFTP/SMB etc?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
FX.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Yep, that must be it. That's a really weird connection.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

The only thing I've not been able to use FX for was some weird glitch where the phone forgot about the custom /ringtones and /notifications folders. ES could do a "force this as default notification" command which I haven't found in FX.

Otherwise, FX works perfectly and has some great design+interface to boot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/10/es-file-explorer-updated-with-super-shady-speed-charging-adware/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Solid explorer is excellent

stevewm
May 10, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So that's where it came from...

I sat my phone on the Qi charger last night and got that popup. Was wondering where it came from.

Uninstalled ES. It has become nothing but a bloatware ridden POS these days anyways. It has enough feature creep at this point it could just about be its own smartphone OS.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Exactly the same thing happened to me last night and I responded in kind. Kinda bullshit.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, so I just uninstalled that. The app is so weirdly full of adware now.

ES File explorer got sold to a company notorious for filling apps with all sorts of shady poo poo. Anyone still using it should probably switch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, so I just uninstalled that. The app is so weirdly full of adware now. Is there a go-to file explorer that supports SFTP/SMB etc?

I've always been a fan of Explorer and Root Explorer.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Out of curiosity, what do people use file explorers for nowadays?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I use it once every two years when I move my backups to a new device but that's it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Desk Lamp posted:

I still download mp3s of padcasts occasionally like a chump and use a file explorer to delete them.
I also end up downloading random PDFs fairly often and need to delete those.
I navigate to a hidden folder of ... Transformers videos.
A recent development: I found I can use a micro-USB adapter to plug my camera's SD card into my phone or tablet and use that to quickly share photos on social media.
On my tablet, I use it to get to and/or delete comic books.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I was mostly just curious of the advantages over using them over something like Airdroid or the built in file manager if your oem has one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, mainly because I've been using it since before Android got a native one, so, entropy.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm looking for a mail app, that I can disable to not start on startup. I'm currently using Aquamail, but even with a rooted bootloader I can't prevent it from starting up. As I'm notoriously low on RAM, that kind of sucks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hungry Computer posted:

ES File explorer got sold to a company notorious for filling apps with all sorts of shady poo poo. Anyone still using it should probably switch.

Are they just adware shady, or check to see if that fast-charge thing also installed Spyware shady? I removed the app.

I've also been meaning to ask what flashlight app I should get. I had one that came with the phone, but a couple of weeks ago my phone was doing a bunch of stuff while sitting in my pocket, and when I looked the flashlight app was gone from my home screen and I don't see it in the app list, although I think it might have been a widget?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are they just adware shady, or check to see if that fast-charge thing also installed Spyware shady? I removed the app.

I've also been meaning to ask what flashlight app I should get. I had one that came with the phone, but a couple of weeks ago my phone was doing a bunch of stuff while sitting in my pocket, and when I looked the flashlight app was gone from my home screen and I don't see it in the app list, although I think it might have been a widget?

The flashlight has been in the notification quick settings since Lollipop. Can't you use that?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The former iirc, it was in a thread on XDA about ES when the crap started getting added. Then again it's XDA, so who knows how legit the info was to begin with.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Thanks dudes uninstalling es now. Couldn't quite figure out what program was kidnapping my lock screen.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My phone's default flashlight app is crap. It goes On/SOS/Off. Bleh. I now use Flashlight. Tap to turn on, tap to turn off. No ads or anything. It's perfect.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Not that I think Google Photos has suddenly gone rogue, but does anyone have a clear understanding as to why it needed to expand its wifi permissions in the last update?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Dark One posted:

Not that I think Google Photos has suddenly gone rogue, but does anyone have a clear understanding as to why it needed to expand its wifi permissions in the last update?

Probably auto uploading when on wifi or something related to that

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Wow, I lost hope that it would ever happen, but Dark Sky for android is out.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.darksky.darksky

I wonder how it compares to weather timeline at this point.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Weather TimelineForecast.io doesn't seem to know what a thunderstorm is. I get the National Weather Service warnings, but it'll say "Light rain" on my app when we have hail and tornadoes everywhere.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 12, 2016

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
Weather Timeline has some really weird issues. If there is even a 1% chance of rain it will show that its going to rain for the day.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Ferret King posted:

Weather Timeline doesn't seem to know what a thunderstorm is. I get the National Weather Service warnings, but it'll say "Light rain" on my app when we have hail and tornadoes everywhere.

That might be due to whatever weather provider the app's pulling information from. It can only be as good as the service, after all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Weather Timeline doesn't seem to know what a thunderstorm is. I get the National Weather Service warnings, but it'll say "Light rain" on my app when we have hail and tornadoes everywhere.

This is a problem you're having with Forecast.io, not the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

LastInLine posted:

This is a problem you're having with Forecast.io, not the app.

Correct. Switching the weather source allows the app to display more weather phenomena, like Tstorms.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 12, 2016