Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
None of our pollies are as good at looking at things as Kims Jong Il/Un

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Malformed Turdball finds his wife's purse open.

tithin posted:

loving

what
He only had a tiny penis and jkhdfsuhbvcbygasjgf

BloatedCorpse posted:

Like, I read the article, and I can't actually decipher what was actually done by this company.
Well among other things it isolated directors like :siren:Wran:siren: and Turdball from connections to bribing foreign officals. Now as outrageous as Limited Liability companies are (eg PL Proprietary Limited - Here let me Google what those words mean before we get to the legal meaning. Proprietary means to own or hold exclusively and Limited means there is an upper and/or low bound on something. Legally a Pty Ltd company "limited by shares, where shareholders are afforded more protection when it comes to the level of liability they face for company debts" So if the company goes under owing billions the shareholders can only lose what they paid in shares. If the company makes billions then they are only limited in their profit by the amount of company tax the ATO manages to wrest from the PL and what-ever they pay on the dividends. Sweet deal!)

NL means No Liabilty "No-liability companies are differentiated from other companies as their shareholders are not liable to pay calls on unpaid shares. This differs from traditional company structure where the purchase of shares is a binding contract. Should the shareholder choose not to pay when there is a call, the shareholder forfeits both the unpaid and paid shares. This encourages investment in potentially risky mining ventures, as a shareholder with unpaid shares can choose to withdraw from the company with no legal consequences. A successful mining company usually converts to a limited liability company when advantageous." You have to be a mining company to do this. I'm not making this up.

Because the actual election thread is an even bigger cesspool of mindless trolling/being trolled than this one it seems the LNP have finally started to reveal their election campaign strategy, such that it is. :stonk: I'm actually shocked at how horribly poor it is and they relegated my prediction (economic management) arguably to third spot. At number one we have the utterly vacuous but none the less totally discredited three word slogan 'Jobs and Growth'.

Jobs and Growth is about as Motherhood wishy washy as you could hope for and the chosen mechanism, trickle down from a tiny 'small' business tax cut, must have only passed the sniff test because everyone was holding their noses due to the other larger piles of dung in the campaign office. Trickle down has never worked. It actually does the opposite and consolidates wealth at the top. This does the opposite of creating Jobs and promoting growth :golfclap: Only someone with no understanding of economics OR recent history could possibly think this was a competent plan.

Border Security. How much political capital can the abject misery of a couple of tens of thousands of people bring you? I'm sad to report that this has been an enduring winner for both sides of politics for two decades. I suppose the ultimate numbers are small compared to the perceived benefit (re-election) a small cruelty strategy? Minimum bastard approach to re-election? Fewer death camps NOW! I don't know what to say any more. I just want this sad sorry chapter in our nation's history to be over and us not be a human rights pariah state.

And finally - A safe pair of economic hands. Here's where I really had to choke on my weeties. Julie Bishop then railed about how the previous 'disastrous coalition in 2007 (dangerous word there Julie) between Gillard and the Greens' had wrecked the Australian economy. Oh really?

Given that that graph is GDP GROWTH and the flatter you can get that the better off you are overall (Volatility is a sign of poor economic management) then I'd say "Julie, the poo poo is dribbling down your chin and besmirching your brooch and couture." But there you go. And the obvious joke:

A weak as piss performance from the worst government in Australian history. The only question: Is it bad enough to allow an abysmal ALP to grasp power in a race between face plants?

-/-

Is Shorten friending on Facebook only a an onomatopoeia with schadenfreude or do the linguistic roots go deeper?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

idk I like food because it tastes good

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

quote:

Q: Do you need to instil more party discipline around your refugee policy. One of your candidates has likened the process to Nazi concentration camps?

Bill Shorten:

I don’t accept the language that was used at all by our candidate.

And let me again state the Labor party’s dealt with this difficult issue at our conference last year.

The local candidate is asked whether she supports the party’s turnback policy. She says she does.

whoops, we accidentally preselected someone with a conscience, can't have that

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

what a weird coincidence that a guy named Chris Brown assaulted someone. should have seen that coming, Labailures

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Assuming someone assaults people because of their name? Sheesh they might want to put people in nazi camps but they aren't THAT bad

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
It's me, the guy hiding fat stacks in offshore bank accounts for entirely legitimate and proper reasons.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

thanks for reminding people that Malcolm was business partners with the popular NSW Labor Premier Neville Wran.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It's me, the guy hiding fat stacks in offshore bank accounts for entirely legitimate and proper reasons.

If bill was smart he would ask why Australians would trust a man who has panama shell companies to close multinational tax loopholes.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

who better to design regulation of offshore tax arrangements than a banker/lawyer who has experience with offshore tax arrangements

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

"Here's what I did, and here's how I could have been stopped"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Negligent posted:

who better to design regulation of offshore tax arrangements than a banker/lawyer who has experience with offshore tax arrangements

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Has a Dirty Dozen feel to it. Twelve of Australia's worst tax evaders, released from prison, trained by the ATO and let loose on the Panamanians.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Les Affaires posted:

"Here's what I did, and here's how I could have been stopped"

If I Did It

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...511-got15o.html
Shoppers would pay an extra 50 cents a litre for milk in a plan being pushed by desperate farmers, after major dairy companies slashed the prices they pay for raw milk.

An emergency "milk levy" was one idea backed by dairy farmers and councillors who held a crisis meeting in the south-west Victorian town of Terang on Wednesday night.

Farmers are also demanding the Turnbull government urgently intervene to address a situation they say threatens the livelihood of producers and the viability of Australia's milk exports.

Chris Gleeson, president of grassroots farming collective Farmer Power, said the proposed levy meant a typical consumer would spend an extra $50 on milk a year, "which would solve the crisis of the dairy industry and have food security for our nation".

He conceded "nobody is happy about paying extra for groceries" but expected people would support a levy if they knew it supported Australian farmers. "They were paying $1.40 for milk 20 years ago," he told Fairfax Media. "Now milk is sold for bugger all compared to water."

Mr Gleeson said the only alternative to a levy was a "milk pool" or single desk marketing model, similar to the defunct Australian Wheat Board, to set an average price for producers.
Farmer Power president Chris Gleeson.

Farmer Power president Chris Gleeson. Photo: Leanne Pickett

Fonterra, the world's largest dairy company, last week cut the farm-gate price of milk to $5 from $5.60 a kilogram, acknowledging it could have done more to warn its suppliers.

It came a week after Murray Goulburn, Australia's largest milk processor, also slashed its prices. The cuts are retrospective - they apply to the entire 2015/16 financial year, meaning farmers will be paid well below $5 a kilogram for the milk they produce from now on, in order to reach the average price of $5 for the year.

Fonterra and Murray Goulburn are sprawling co-operatives owned by dairy farmers. But the decision to slash milk prices has put farmers on a "war footing", Mr Gleeson said.

"Something has to change in this industry. We've got to cover costs of production," he told Fairfax Media. "The only way we're going to survive is if we get a higher return on [our] investment."

Farmers have also called on Deputy Prime Minister and Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce to launch an independent review into Australia's dairy industry.

"He's got to give hope to these farmers," Mr Gleeson said, though he acknowledged it would be difficult for Mr Joyce to act during the caretaker period of the election campaign.

The Coalition's campaign spokesman, Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, said it was a matter for Mr Joyce. Fairfax Media has contacted the minister for comment.

Mr Gleeson also demanded the Victorian state government immediately offer financial assistance for affected farmers. Victoria is home to about two-thirds of Australian dairy farmers, with 1700 in the south-west region around Terang. Farmers are planning to hold a rally in Melbourne next week.

Fonterra, in a letter to farmers, said it had cut its Australian prices to meet the local benchmark set by Murray Goulburn. In compensation, it offered a 60 cents a litre, interest-bearing loan to farmers who agreed to stick with Fonterra for another four years. The company delivered a first half net profit of $NZ409 million ($379 million), an increase of 123 per cent.

Murray Goulburn, which cut milk prices a fortnight ago, has since since plunged into chaos, with the chief executive, chief financial officer and three directors resigning (one is understood to have left due to serious illness). It is also being investigated by the corporate regulator over information supplied to the Australian Stock Exchange.

Chairman Phil Tracy told the ABC his firm was "very comfortable" with its decisions and would co-operate with the investigation by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

Wish someone would bail out my business when demand dropped.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

open24hours posted:

Wish someone would bail out my business when supermarkets and megacorps artificially forced prices down to shore up their bottom end and increase their bargaining power against me

hey i fixed your super reductive assessment of the situation

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You want a competitive market you have to take the whole package.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

Sorry, I might be thick, but nowhere in that document does it mention a drop in demand.

Brick Dust Otis posted:

I think you might find he's just plain wrong but I await a citation.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Brick Dust Otis posted:

I'd happily pay a bit extra for milk if it kept the farms afloat. People are always going to need milk and it's a sustainable product for Australia, it's just that the Coles and Woolies price war has made it harder and harder for dairy farmers.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
A duopoly is not a competition.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Seriously, go complain about cotton farmers or something, you're off the reservation here

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

Is this like the 24th psalm of neoshitheadism because I can't get it to make sense in the context.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

Cool, let's not take the package then.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

Sorry, I might be thick, but nowhere in that document does it mention a drop in demand.

Why do you think the price went down?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Seriously, go complain about cotton farmers or something, you're off the reservation here

What difference does it make what commodity you produce?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

Kat Delacour posted:

A duopoly is not a competition.

Brick Dust Otis posted:

supermarkets and megacorps artificially forced prices down to shore up their bottom end and increase their bargaining power against me

e: Supply/Demand is only one mechanism for price.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 12, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's nothing artificial about it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

open24hours posted:

What difference does it make what commodity you produce?

You literally know nothing about the milk price wars do you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

There's nothing artificial about it.

http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Markets-and-statistics/Production-and-sales/Consumption-Summary.aspx

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

It wasn't demand. Here let me do the research YOU should have done before opening your maw.

http://sustainabletable.org.au/hungryforinfo/dairydiaries/tabid/156/default.aspx

quote:

As consumers, we hold the power to help direct where the Australian dairy industry will go, and we hold it right in our hip pockets. By choosing to purchase dairy that has been produced organically, from sustainably-managed local-as-possible farms, we’re telling the industry how we want things done. We’re saying no to ethically and environmentally-questionable practices and yes to sustainable, ecological and ethically-minded farming. It all starts by making the right choices when it comes to purchasing dairy products.

At the same time, our governments need to implement policies that will serve to prevent the further exploitation of dairy cows in the face of :siren:growing overseas:siren: demand.

If you knew a single thing about the diary industry you'd know that a cartel has been systematically forcing prices down due to supply chain monopoly/duopoly positions. This has (like so much else in primary industry) been forcing players out. That recently linked (like today) article in the Monthly covers it in pretty graphic detail.

But I can stand to be corrected.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Perfect example of how the "if company taxes are lowered they will spend more on employees!' line pushed by conservatives is bullshit. The company has an increase in profit of hundreds of millions of dollars and still slashes what it will pay.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What is this supposed to show? That the average consumption of dairy products in Australia is relatively stable?

Lid posted:

You literally know nothing about the milk price wars do you.
Price wars are a completely normal feature of competitive economies.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

What is this supposed to show? That the average consumption of dairy products in Australia is relatively stable?

Yes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

If you knew a single thing about the diary industry you'd know that a cartel has been systematically forcing prices down due to supply chain monopoly/duopoly positions. This has (like so much else in primary industry) been forcing players out. That recently linked (like today) article in the Monthly covers it in pretty graphic detail.

It's not a cartel though?

So what?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Malformed Turdball finds his wife's purse open.
He only had a tiny penis and jkhdfsuhbvcbygasjgf
Well among other things it isolated directors like :siren:Wran:siren: and Turdball from connections to bribing foreign officals. Now as outrageous as Limited Liability companies are (eg PL Proprietary Limited - Here let me Google what those words mean before we get to the legal meaning. Proprietary means to own or hold exclusively and Limited means there is an upper and/or low bound on something. Legally a Pty Ltd company "limited by shares, where shareholders are afforded more protection when it comes to the level of liability they face for company debts" So if the company goes under owing billions the shareholders can only lose what they paid in shares. If the company makes billions then they are only limited in their profit by the amount of company tax the ATO manages to wrest from the PL and what-ever they pay on the dividends. Sweet deal!)

NL means No Liabilty "No-liability companies are differentiated from other companies as their shareholders are not liable to pay calls on unpaid shares. This differs from traditional company structure where the purchase of shares is a binding contract. Should the shareholder choose not to pay when there is a call, the shareholder forfeits both the unpaid and paid shares. This encourages investment in potentially risky mining ventures, as a shareholder with unpaid shares can choose to withdraw from the company with no legal consequences. A successful mining company usually converts to a limited liability company when advantageous." You have to be a mining company to do this. I'm not making this up.

The TL;DR of this is that there's nothing particularly shonky about being a director of a fly-by-night mining venture keeping its assets in the Virgin Islands to avoid tax and scam money out of the capital save money.

The interesting thing is what Turnbull did after he quit: his firm raises a bunch of shares for that self-same company. It's just a wee step away from conflict of interest/insider trading but also perfectly legal and would have been a very nice bonus going-away present for ceasing his directorship. I assume Wran got a nice backhander out of that too. Turnbull did a few barely-legal manoeuvres like this, the logging firm in the Solomon Islands story predates this caper. He got to play consultant to the Solomon Islands government and make a few bucks. Here's a read.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

So with growing exports and stable Australian consumption there hasn't been a decrease in demand for dairy products.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There has been a decrease relative to supply which is what matters. Dairy farmers in all countries are dealing with low prices.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-14/eu-countries-discuss-dairy-oversupply/7245558

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

There has been a decrease relative to supply which is what matters. Dairy farmers in all countries are dealing with low prices.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-14/eu-countries-discuss-dairy-oversupply/7245558

http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Markets-and-statistics/Market-situation-and-outlook/Situation-and-Outlook-February-2016.aspx

quote:

Australia’s stable domestic market and a more favourable exchange rate are helping to buffer the impact of declining world prices, high input costs and the dry season.

Like just accept that the milk price wars are a real thing. The duopoly exists and is loving over farmers. It's not at all controversial.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

No where in that article does it say what you claim. There was a removal of EU quotas and this caused what some called a milk glut (In Europe). The very article however mentions the increase in Australian milk production of 2%. You really suck at this.

Why aren't the current Australian milk wholesalers acting as a cartel?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

No where in that article does it say what you claim. There was a removal of EU quotas and this caused what some called a milk glut (In Europe). The very article however mentions the increase in Australian milk production of 2%. You really suck at this.
Believe it or not the market for dairy products is bigger than Australia. As you said, production in Australia increased which, all else being equal, should reduce relative demand.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-04/saputo-ceo-expects-low-dairy-prices-to-persist-amid-global-glut
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/this-is-how-the-global-dairy-glut-is-flowing-through-to-major-australian-banks-2016-3

Cartoon posted:

Why aren't the current Australian milk wholesalers acting as a cartel?
Why do you think they are acting as a cartel?

If it's not an imbalance in supply and demand then I'm happy to hear your theory about why prices are dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's not a milk story, but climate change remains the figment of the imagination of a bunch of lefty opinion pushing "scientists"

• Locked thread