Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wouldn't read clannad over watching it tho

also devil on the string sucks imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You're half right

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

i wouldn't read clannad over watching it tho

also devil on the string sucks imo

I liked Devil on the G-String until (big spoilers, do not read if you haven't played it and plan on playing it in the future)it turned out the MC wasn't actually the villain. Pretty much the whole hook for me was finding out how the MC and those around him would react to finding out he was unknowingly doing all this stuff (and how such a situation would be resolved), and I was disappointed to find out it was actually his brother and the MC was just coincidentally having bad headaches and memory loss every time it cut to Maou doing things in the same area he just happened to be in.

It also didn't make any sense. In particular, the part where they fail to catch Maou at the end of the chapter where he kidnaps that girl's sister and the MC is like "but I felt proud/victorious for some inexplicable reason" makes absolutely no sense if he isn't actually Maou. It's one thing to lead the reader to a false conclusion, but another entirely to include stuff that makes no sense if that conclusion isn't actually true. It makes me think that it wasn't initially written with the intent of the brother being the antagonist.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

That's a good Lum. You should stand up and be counted in the Lum'd thread.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That's a good Lum. You should stand up and be counted in the Lum'd thread.

Oh wow, thanks for telling me, I always have avatars turned off so I can occasionally browse the forums at work. That is a good Lum, I'll mention it in the Lum'd thread.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

war of the human tanks

This

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

But who is Lum?

I feel like the victim of a grave injustice of ignorance.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xinder posted:

But who is Lum?

I read the lumthread and I feel like my life is a tiny bit better now :unsmith:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xinder posted:

But who is Lum?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urusei_Yatsura

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just started reading tonnura-san, that smug cat manga I've seen panels from before, after seeing it pop up on KM recently. It's great a few chapters in, tonnura is the smuggest motherfucker and the lengths the artist goes to avoid drawing him doing anything but sitting there smugly is great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
has anyone here read "sumomomo momomo" and is it worth reading

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Can anyone suggest some shows with really dense, interconnected character relationships and motivations that I might have overlooked when I was younger (and dumber) because they were too girly?

Basically what's the shoujo / josei equivalent of Evangelion?

I've seen Utena, I love it, it's a good starting point but go even further than that.

e: trashiness is no object either, and may even be preferable

e2: i am also already watching Chihayafuru

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 11, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out Oniisama E, it was a big inspiration for both Eva and Utena both in terms of content and stylistically. There are whole shots in Eva that are cribbed from it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can anyone suggest some shows with really dense, interconnected character relationships and motivations that I might have overlooked when I was younger (and dumber) because they were too girly?

Basically what's the shoujo / josei equivalent of Evangelion?

I've seen Utena, I love it, it's a good starting point but go even further than that.

e: trashiness is no object either, and may even be preferable

e2: i am also already watching Chihayafuru

When shoujo and Eva are brought up in the same sentence, I naturally think of His and Her Circumstances/Kare Kano.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Check out Oniisama E, it was a big inspiration for both Eva and Utena both in terms of content and stylistically. There are whole shots in Eva that are cribbed from it

I was imagining a show when I asked that question and the only way this show appears to differ from what I was imagining is that, as of yet, the Magnificent Three haven't been revealed to secretly be ghosts or something. Thank you.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

When shoujo and Eva are brought up in the same sentence, I naturally think of His and Her Circumstances/Kare Kano.

I hear Kare Kano kind of falls apart at the end, is that true?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The animation certainly does. Worth watching anyway, imo, I enjoyed it the whole way through.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anno was booted off the show so he didn't direct the last third or so. Still worth watching tho.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, but it's interesting. It's also interesting to see what I feel is a pretty shojou story pushed through Hideaki Anno's colander and come out way way better than it has any right to.

[as for when it falls apart, see if you can tell where they had partially done episodes under Anno, and episodes that had to be taken over by Kazuya Tsurumaki who has a totally different feel and touch (and experience) than Anno.]

The music cues even get uninspired by the end of the show.

Srice posted:

Anno was booted off the show so he didn't direct the last third or so. Still worth watching tho.

IIRC the mangka hated the tone of the adaptation and got into a fight with Anno and he walked. It would have been tough to boot him from a studio that he cofounded, I would imagine.

(especially since it was behinds the scenes stuff unlike the blow up over ep 4 of TTGL that got the other cofounder booted)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

IIRC the mangka hated the tone of the adaptation and got into a fight with Anno and he walked. It would have been tough to boot him from a studio that he cofounded, I would imagine.

(especially since it was behinds the scenes stuff unlike the blow up over ep 4 of TTGL that got the other cofounder booted)

What happened with Gurren Lagaan?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What happened with Gurren Lagaan?

From the wiki

quote:

Takami Akai, the producer of the series and a co-founder of Gainax, announced that he would resign his position effective episode five, which aired on April 29, 2007, over comments that he made regarding posts on the Japanese Internet forum 2channel. Akai and another Gainax employee, Keiko Mimori, made disparaging remarks about comments criticizing the animation style of the fourth episode of Gurren Lagann, which was completely directed by guest and friend Osamu Kobayashi. With regard to reading the fan criticisms, Akai stated that it was "like putting [his] face next to an anus and breathing deeply." Fans later became aware of his comments, and he announced his departure from the company he helped to found.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DamnGlitch posted:

From the wiki

hosed up that someone would lose their job over accurately describing the experience of reading a #chan

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly, Kare Kano is waaaay more interesting as a chronicle of the Gainax production process completely imploding, than it would be on its own merits as a romance anime. It was a mess even early on, and it's not helped by the amount of time it spends on terrible, obnoxious side characters and big-shouty-faces anime "humor", but the actual ways it falls apart are really a memorable spectacle to behold.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Iirc the mangaka wanted more focus on drama and they wanted more focus on funny and then introspection, and you can see the gears grinding relatively early.

The first five eps are basically perfect as a miniseries though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish to hear about a good anime that's a period piece that's not set in Japan, with minimal or no supernatural elements.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish to hear about a good anime that's a period piece that's not set in Japan, with minimal or no supernatural elements.

Rose of Versailles, maybe?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

Le Chevalier Deon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Le Chevalier Deon.

That does not have minimal supernatural elements. It is good though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
was the anime of victorian maid emma any good? i remember its manga was.

oh, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember liking it at the time but nothing else

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blhue posted:

was the anime of victorian maid emma any good? i remember its manga was.

oh, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee

The emma manga is fantastic.

The emma anime has a good first season then goes off the rails in the second Hans I think it is gets set up as a romantic rival for Will but it's kinda crappy and the anime ends well before the manga

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend me some Japanese history manga/anime to view?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

How 'historical' are we talking here?

At any rate, I hear Vagabond is pretty good historical fiction.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Showa: A History of Japan

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

yae no sakura is cool

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Can you guys recommend some anime movies that are one offs?

Stuff like The Girl who leapt through time, Summer wars, the MIyazaki films etc. Genre's not really important, though I'm not particularly in for Shoujo stuff atm

Thanks!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

JD posted:

Stuff like The Girl who leapt through time, Summer wars, the MIyazaki films etc. Genre's not really important, though I'm not particularly in for Shoujo stuff atm

Thanks!

It's not technically a one-off, but Dirty Pair Project Eden is a really fun stand-alone flick with a great '80s soundtrack.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

JD posted:

Thanks!

giovanni's island (this one also works for Violet_Sky!!!), the masaaki yuasa films, nasu: summer in andalusia, memories, every satoshi kon film, a letter to momo, saint young men

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

yae no sakura is cool

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JD posted:

Thanks!

Patema Inverted.