Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 12, 1929)

Pogo (March 13, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (October 25-27, 1954)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Totally "changed" you? "Career" connections? I see what's happening here.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Why did Xandu go here? What was his plan?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well he has the staff or wand or whatever so presumably he's going to open a can of whopass on him?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If it's not another stupid scheme to get his girlfriend back from the dead or piss in Strange's cheerios for interfering with getting his girlfriend back from the dead then it's not Xandu.

TeerZombie
Aug 5, 2003

Crush all hu-mans!

Thanks, I learn the strangest things in this thread

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Piccolo

Pros and Cons

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I thought about this strip a lot in college.

It seems sort of hypocritcal, considering how often Watterson pulled the "Calvin uses big words" gag in the strip's final years.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Chimeric posted:

Wallace the Brave

Well, that one hit pretty close to home.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

I was skeptical of the folks comparing this cave story to Dungeons & Dragons but now we've apparently got invisible backpacks for carrying equipment so, yeah, it checks out.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kid Fenris posted:

It seems sort of hypocritcal, considering how often Watterson pulled the "Calvin uses big words" gag in the strip's final years.
The joke isn't simply that big words are being used, though.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 13, 1929)

Peanuts (May 14, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

It's hilarious because you accidentally put school kids in danger!

Meanwhile, in the light-hearted and hilarious land of Crankshaft...

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 1-2, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 28, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

It's hilarious because you accidentally put school kids in danger!

Meanwhile, in the light-hearted and hilarious land of Crankshaft...

Realizing that now he's gone to the cancer well twice, Batiuk has apparently decided that turning an Ohio city into a literal war zone is the only logical method of escalation.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 18, 1951)

Barnaby (September 23, 1942)

Nancy (June 2, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 13, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 14, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 28, 1936)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Aardmania posted:

Terry Beatty's blog says that he took over writing starting with the May 2nd comic. The signature box has also changed from Wilson & Beatty to just Terry Beatty.
I may be cynical, but I wonder how much of this sudden "Nope, the Morgans are not getting an historic home full of expensive antiques in a great location at a huge discount" twist is just Beatty saying NO loving WAY to the idea of drawing an historic home full of expensive antiques on a regular basis, rather than a deliberate movement away from showering the Morgans with undeserved and unearned riches and rewards.

But maybe, just maybe, things will actually start happening in Rex Morgan, MD that actually involve conflict and drama and setbacks. (Psst, Terry Beatty, do you know what's easy to draw? Cardboard boxes!)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

¡Plop!

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

The healthy bribes to the zoning commission and code enforcement certainly helped as well.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

I'm still loving the art in these older strips - here's a reminder of what we used to get:

I still kind of miss how for a while there Bolle was drawing stuff that had nothing to do with what was written. And the randomly changing backgrounds were especially interesting.

Those were two consecutive days.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Well next time you see her she may not ask about it, but ok. Nonetheless, he wants to sleep with you, Dawn.

Aardmania posted:

Terry Beatty's blog says that he took over writing starting with the May 2nd comic. The signature box has also changed from Wilson & Beatty to just Terry Beatty.
I was completely unaware of this. I should really try to keep up with this sort of news of the comics I post. There wasn't exactly a big announcement though I guess. I hope this means less of this Sarah-is-Amazing crap and we'll get some stories about adults again, like Bimbo Karate and Rex in the House o' Strippers or whatever.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

F-21 don't catch on quick.

Apartment 3-G

I like to imagine Tommie muttering under her breath while she's unpacking the flowers and putting them in water and going to the phone, sounding much like Popeye the whole time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

Scary Gary

Retail

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set will leave when they're drat good and ready.

Working Daze finally gets around to making GBS threads on a legacy.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix defines "legacy comic".

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

http://www.food.com/recipe/yorkshire-buck-391875 Yum.

Outbusts of Everett True

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

"conscience like a boxing glove" heh.

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals

Andy Capp

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

treasureplane posted:

Barnaby (September 23, 1942)

It's an olden times Dickbutt!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This strip is literally "Here are lyrics to an old song!"
Jesus are the towels just like a thin sheet of bare threads by the time this happens? Do pluggers hold onto towels even after the point where they no longer can absorb water? How many decades does it take for towels to decay from regular use to this?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Lookit that face. "I lost my pack. Mom is gonna kill me. :ohdear:"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (May 14, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (October 28-31, 1954)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Slammy posted:

Whoops Sisters

It's just going to be them doing this same pose on a different background each week, isn't it.

Speaking of old cartoons, I'm curious as to whether Giles has ever come up in these threads. He was primarily a political cartoonist, but every now and then he would do something not ripped from the headlines.

There were several books of Giles collections around my house that I read growing up. A lot of the jokes went over my head, but his detailed style and recurring characters made them fun to pore over.

Is there any newspaper cartoonist on this level today? It's kind of depressing that things have gone from this stuff to modern Nancy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ah, I'm not sure I get that last one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ah, I'm not sure I get that last one.

There was a tradition to hide a sixpence in a christmas pudding as a gift for a kid. Some dumb kids swallowed the money and now the doctor is keeping the cash he removes when he pumps their stomachs.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foob Meat

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Well, that's somewhat anticlimactic.

Sally Forth

I don't know, give it a shot. It always works for Gil Thorp.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Abstinence is an ongoing theme of luann's relationships

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Abstinence is an ongoing theme of luann's relationships

Of course, a key component of Aaron's character (if such a word can truly be used in the context of Luann) was that he'd previously been in a relationship with an older woman. He'd most likely already been there. He was road side, man. Some third italicized Foob thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tunicate posted:

There was a tradition to hide a sixpence in a christmas pudding as a gift for a kid. Some dumb kids swallowed the money and now the doctor is keeping the cash he removes when he pumps their stomachs.
My family still puts sixpences in the christmas pudding. We used to use threepences as well but we ran out over the years.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Why are the guys always such boring killjoys in this comic? She needs to go to more of my family's weddings, I wish I'd filmed my dad loving owning a dancefloor at my brothers wedding. It's like she hated her ex so much she's made every guy him and every one of them as awful as possible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Evans strike me as the sort of people who'd have gone to purity balls and remember it fondly to this day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tambaloneus posted:

Why are the guys always such boring killjoys in this comic?

Because the cartoonist is channeling her own bad experiences with men into her comic and extrapolating them to cover all men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Why is this a statement.

• Locked thread