Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alteisen posted:

I disagreed with Armstrong's the strong will rule stuff but he was dead on with the other poo poo he said.

But then again that's what makes a great villain, someone who you might agree with a little but you still need to kill his rear end.

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Leal posted:

Though my little thing in Revengeance was the cutscenes with Armstrong at the end. Especially the part where he picks Raiden up, dusts him off and shakes his hand. More games needs to have that kind of.. .I don't know what to call it, but its funny when things like that happen.

He's a politician, and Raiden had just alluded to agreeing with him. It's my favorite thing about Armstrong, too; he's your enemy because of everything he did, but you're his enemy just because you disagree with him. He's a politician through and through, and an American one at that.

Armstrong's such a good villain for basically only getting one scene.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:43 on May 12, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite lore thing in MGR:R was that the Metal Gear Excelsior isn't actually an official Metal Gear, because a Metal Gear is defined in the series as a walking tank that can fire nukes. The excelsior can't fire nukes, it's just a walking tank. It's called Metal Gear so that it will sell to people based on the pedigree.

I also like the context of "Rules of Nature" as a song - it plays only during fights with Metal Gear Ray and the russian knockoff metal gear minibosses, and it's about old weak species of animal dying off and the strongest surviving - Basically the Ray and Russian knockoffs are literally dinosaurs, impressive in their day but out of date nowadays.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

That whole fight/argument scene was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWQd8zhEg4

Love how when Raiden dodges the punch at 00:6 that was aimed at his chin (which was something of a callback, as it'd happened like 6 times before), he's so proud and smug about it that it leads to the biggest chin-grind yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the boss songs have lyrics that relate to the boss and their situation.

But the best thing they do with the music is during the final fight. The vocal track is only mixed in while Raiden is holding his sword, if it gets knocked away the singing stops until he recovers it. This even holds true during the final QTE, when he lets go of the sword embedded in the boss for a moment.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I like that the trophies in Uncharted 4 aren't for generic stuff like progressing in the game that you do anyway but for doing stupid stuff like taking photos of Sully when you should be using your camera to send photos of a puzzle to your backup to help you solve it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

haveblue posted:

All the boss songs have lyrics that relate to the boss and their situation.

But the best thing they do with the music is during the final fight. The vocal track is only mixed in while Raiden is holding his sword, if it gets knocked away the singing stops until he recovers it. This even holds true during the final QTE, when he lets go of the sword embedded in the boss for a moment.

This also happens during Jetstream Sam's fight, although in that case the lyrics only play when he's holding it. It's the same sword, though!

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Armstrong is a pitch-perfect parody of Metal Gear, particularly 2 and 4. It's a bunch of last-second surprise revelations that don't work for Revengeance in terms of pacing or characterization so it's all a farce. And the game goes " YEP!" and you cross-counter a lavaman and the music fades out for the crunch of breaking teeth and it feels sooo good.

Hobo By Design has a new favorite as of 07:15 on May 12, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a rare example of a perfect video game and I want a sequel so bad my toes curl at the thought of it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Was revengeance one of those games you should put on easy and just enjoy the insanity? Cause I tried it on normal once and couldn't really get the hang of it because I'm no good at those brawler type games. I'm an old man, my reactions don't work quick no more!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Was revengeance one of those games you should put on easy and just enjoy the insanity? Cause I tried it on normal once and couldn't really get the hang of it because I'm no good at those brawler type games. I'm an old man, my reactions don't work quick no more!

It was a video game and you should play those at the difficulty that suits you, yes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's fun on easy and still pretty insane, but as you get better at the game it becomes almost Dark Souls-satisfying to completely obliterate your enemies. Somedays I'll fire it up just to utterly humiliate Metal Gear Ray -- destroy both legs' armor and turrets, cut off his tail, gently caress up his face, the works. It feels so good to just gently caress things up in that game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Shai-Hulud posted:

At the most basic of gameplay skill you can use the block counter and just spam slash and kick. The blocking has huge tells to use, and is pretty forgiving. The game is super fun and gets more satisfying the more you master it. Bayonetta is also super good if you get into those types of games.

I do like the Monster Hunter comparison someone brought up, because smashing a big dumb dragon in the face with a greatsword, breaking his charge is one of the most satisfying things in any video game.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 08:15 on May 12, 2016

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Alteisen posted:

I disagreed with Armstrong's the strong will rule stuff but he was dead on with the other poo poo he said.

But then again that's what makes a great villain, someone who you might agree with a little but you still need to kill his rear end.

PCOS Bill alt spotted

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm not sure exactly where to put this, but I recently played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Armstrong at one point says verbatim that he'll "make America great again".

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I've been playing Infinifactory and it's so drat satisfying to get all the little assembly lines working in tandem, but that's not the not-so-little-thing.

In any other given puzzle game where you are tasked with using various pieces (conveyor belts, welders, etc.) they would have some restriction on the pieces; either have a per-piece limit (you can only use four welders in this level or whatever), a total limit (only use 30 blocks) or an economy (you have $3000, conveyer belts are cheap but welders are super expensive). Said hypothetical other game would probably have a sandbox mode just to tease you as to what might have been. But this game does not do that at all. As soon as a piece is available, you can use the poo poo out of it. Your factories are only confined by the size of the stages, which are super generous with space. The game does give you little graphs at the end of the level to show you how you compared to other people's solutions (number of blocks used, size of factory, and number of cycles needed to meet your quota) but it just inspires you to try and be more efficient, it doesn't mandate it.

This game will bring out your inner autist. I am nowhere near the spectrum but seeing mechanical things work in perfect tandem is amazing.

If you like the show How It's Made you will probably love this game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samfucius posted:

I've been playing Infinifactory and it's so drat satisfying to get all the little assembly lines working in tandem, but that's not the not-so-little-thing.

In any other given puzzle game where you are tasked with using various pieces (conveyor belts, welders, etc.) they would have some restriction on the pieces; either have a per-piece limit (you can only use four welders in this level or whatever), a total limit (only use 30 blocks) or an economy (you have $3000, conveyer belts are cheap but welders are super expensive). Said hypothetical other game would probably have a sandbox mode just to tease you as to what might have been. But this game does not do that at all. As soon as a piece is available, you can use the poo poo out of it. Your factories are only confined by the size of the stages, which are super generous with space. The game does give you little graphs at the end of the level to show you how you compared to other people's solutions (number of blocks used, size of factory, and number of cycles needed to meet your quota) but it just inspires you to try and be more efficient, it doesn't mandate it.

This game will bring out your inner autist. I am nowhere near the spectrum but seeing mechanical things work in perfect tandem is amazing.

If you like the show How It's Made you will probably love this game.

If you like that game but maybe prefer progression over just straight-up puzzles, you would probably love https://www.factorio.com/

You want to talk about bringing out your inner autist...well, the train mechanics alone fill up albums online, just displays of the 'best' railway configurations.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

If you like that game but maybe prefer progression over just straight-up puzzles, you would probably love https://www.factorio.com/

You want to talk about bringing out your inner autist...well, the train mechanics alone fill up albums online, just displays of the 'best' railway configurations.

That looks neat, but I already have plenty of resource management games, and I like this one so much precisely because it isn't that. I'll keep it in mind for when I beat this and I need to watch some assembly ballet.

Infinifactory makes me wish I had kids so I could play it with them and see the wacky poo poo they come up with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I like that the trophies in Uncharted 4 aren't for generic stuff like progressing in the game that you do anyway but for doing stupid stuff like taking photos of Sully when you should be using your camera to send photos of a puzzle to your backup to help you solve it.

The trophies for the Uncharted series has always been fun. The fact that many of them are stupid puns makes it even better (if you slap someone with a fish you get the "call the sturgeon" trophy for example).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

The trophies for the Uncharted series has always been fun. The fact that many of them are stupid puns makes it even better (if you slap someone with a fish you get the "call the sturgeon" trophy for example).

The taunts look good too.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The taunts look good too.

Ha that's awesome

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TontoCorazon posted:

Ha that's awesome

Yeah, too bad they're gated behind playing hours and hours of multiplayer before you can unlock them.

Or, unlock NOW with micro-transactions!

I mean...don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll end up playing enough multiplayer to unlock things, and it's not like it wasn't that was in 2+3, it's still just a little annoying.

Though I can't remember if 2 or 3 had any micro-transactions to unlock things right away or if it was only through the MP?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alhazred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9LI3Xzrls

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, too bad they're gated behind playing hours and hours of multiplayer before you can unlock them.

I mean...don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll end up playing enough multiplayer to unlock things, and it's not like it wasn't that was in 2+3, it's still just a little annoying.

Though I can't remember if 2 or 3 had any micro-transactions to unlock things right away or if it was only through the MP?

I don't know anything about the game myself.

It'd be nice if you'd accumulate points playing the single player mode so that you could buy things in MP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are two ways to unlock stuff in UC4 multi, there's currency you buy with real money that you can use to purchase specific items and there is also currency you earn by playing/completing challenges but that just lets you buy blind boxes. Anything you can purchase with real money is available through the blind box.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBzfBflwn4

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

That sucks

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet, but it has one of the best trophies I've ever seen.

You earn the Stage Fright trophy by just not touching the controller for about thirty seconds after a particular cutscene, it's recreating technical difficulties from last year's E3 stage demo when the controller didn't work and they had to restart the demo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like that the multiplayer actually seems to reward just loving off and doing your own thing instead of clustering together. The added mobility lets you pick off people from multiple angles at the expense of having no one to bail you out if you're downed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Veotax posted:

I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet, but it has one of the best trophies I've ever seen.

You earn the Stage Fright trophy by just not touching the controller for about thirty seconds after a particular cutscene, it's recreating technical difficulties from last year's E3 stage demo when the controller didn't work and they had to restart the demo.

Oh my god, that is amazing. Why would someone have thought to try that and find it?

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.
Uncharted 4 also has this trophy, which made me laugh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

Well at least they're aware of it, bless'em :allears:.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

I feel like it's not the first game to have this as an achievement.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Gunpoint had a Ludonarrative Dissonance trophy I think.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout: New Vegas' challenge for just killing stuff is called "Lord Death" for the first few ranks, and then the final one is called "Apocalypse Ain't Got Nothing..."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

2house2fly posted:

Gunpoint had a Ludonarrative Dissonance trophy I think.

Yeah, you got it from picking the "I, er, may have killed more people than I actually avenged here" -option when choosing what to write in your blog post at the end.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I never played 3 but 2 didn't have micro-transactions. You just unlocked them through multiplayer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, you got it from picking the "I, er, may have killed more people than I actually avenged here" -option when choosing what to write in your blog post at the end.

Even better is that option doesn't appear if you in fact killed less than...I wanna say 3 people, the number of your allies who die.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

StandardVC10 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas' challenge for just killing stuff is called "Lord Death" for the first few ranks, and then the final one is called "Apocalypse Ain't Got Nothing..."

Iirc, one of the middle challenge titles is "Lord Death of Murder Mountain". :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

Oh my god, that is amazing. Why would someone have thought to try that and find it?

One of the Dishwasher games had something similar- an achievement for hitting the guide button during a minigame, which also happened during an onstage demo.