Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Open, every now and then you demonstrate to us all why you are an utter idiot.

In this case, the fact of the matter is that the milk producers have to go through the duopoly of Woolworths and Coles to get their product to market. These chains have been leveraging that power they have over the producers to force the price lower in a several years long and well documented price war with each other that has had the wonderful side effect (from their perspective) of forcing a lot of others out of the market since they just can't run a profit.

What you are missing is that there is no real change in demand or supply, not to a meaningful extent. What you have here is a clear example of the power of cartels to distort the market to the detriment of all other players. This is why there are usually rules against poo poo like price fixing, because they decrease competition in the market and gently caress everyone over.

Anyway, I have wasted enough brainpower on Open. Time for First Dog:

Kittens:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
there are many retail channels for consumer milk products that aren't coles/woolworths

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Pickled Tink posted:

Open, every now and then you demonstrate to us all why you are an utter idiot.

In this case, the fact of the matter is that the milk producers have to go through the duopoly of Woolworths and Coles to get their product to market. These chains have been leveraging that power they have over the producers to force the price lower in a several years long and well documented price war with each other that has had the wonderful side effect (from their perspective) of forcing a lot of others out of the market since they just can't run a profit.

What you are missing is that there is no real change in demand or supply, not to a meaningful extent. What you have here is a clear example of the power of cartels to distort the market to the detriment of all other players. This is why there are usually rules against poo poo like price fixing, because they decrease competition in the market and gently caress everyone over.

Anyway, I have wasted enough brainpower on Open. Time for First Dog:

This is not limited to Australia. If you're going to blame Australian supermarkets for a worldwide decline in dairy prices then you're going to have to do a better job than that.

There is also a clear and obvious increase in supply. I mean, what kind of evidence would you accept? What figures would you like to see?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 12, 2016

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
You know after seeing knifegrab get a mod challange in the VR thread to only sing the praises of the oculus rift for 60 posts, i would happily donate $100 to a mods charity of choice to have the same thing happen to Negligent

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Open. You are ignoring the fact that it is not the people who sell the milk that have a say in the price. In the article that started this, supermarkets are telling them the price they will pay, and if milk producers don't like it they can eat poo poo. They even made the changes retrospective. This is not standard market economics. This is a cartel abusing its position to deliberately distort the market.

ps: You are stupid.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You're just ignoring the question now.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

You're just ignoring the question now.
I'm only ignoring an irrelevant question.

You, on the other hand, are ignoring facts, economic theory, and a well documented price war where suppliers have been squeezed by the distributors.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

While dollar milk has a lot to answer for, the recent problem has a lot more to do with Devondale milk powder failing in China. They sold about a quarter what they projected in the first 6 months of the financial year and are nowhere near the years forecast. The prime buying season in terms of online sales to China is October through February and the powder stockpile will grow while loads of unsold product expires.

A year ago Devondale was THE brand to have for Chinese buying Australian milk, so much that JD.com bought a big share in Murray Goulburn and has been encouraging them to overproduce. No distributor will touch it while MG flogs it off for 5.50/kg though. The Chinese consumer doesn't trust that kind of price drop and this will only further devalue the brand. Fonterra is being quite opportunistic with their drop which they backdated to beginning of season.

We might finally see the end of dollar milk as a result, otherwise there's going to be a lot of beef on the market soon

Firetrick fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 12, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

There is also a clear and obvious increase in supply. I mean, what kind of evidence would you accept? What figures would you like to see?

That the milk price wars didn't have an impact on the wholesale price of milk? That the current price is actually due to the global price decrease and not just a similar outcome caused by an independent problem?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm only ignoring an irrelevant question.

You, on the other hand, are ignoring facts, economic theory, and a well documented price war where suppliers have been squeezed by the distributors.

I didn't deny that there was a price war, or that suppliers have been squeezed by distributors, and I still don't. The worldwide decline in dairy prices is not caused by actions of Australian supermarkets. If you want to argue differently then feel free to provide some evidence.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

The worldwide decline in dairy prices is not caused by actions of Australian supermarkets. If you want to argue differently then feel free to provide some evidence.

No one's arguing this though. Just that Australia has been largely shielded from the global decrease in demand, but that other factors are causing our prices to drop.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That the milk price wars didn't have an impact on the sale price of milk? That the current price is actually due to the global price decrease and not just a similar outcome caused by an independent problem?

You can look at farm gate prices and see that there has not been a massive decline since the introduction of $1 milk, and prices were higher in 2014/15 than they were before the introduction of $1 milk.
http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Markets-and-statistics/Prices/Farmgate-Prices.aspx

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
There's been a decline in demand for your posting, go bail yourself out.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

thatbastardken posted:

There's been a decline in demand for your posting, go bail yourself out.

:vince:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

You can look at farm gate prices and see that there has not been a massive decline since the introduction of $1 milk, and prices were higher in 2014/15 than they were before the introduction of $1 milk.
http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Markets-and-statistics/Prices/Farmgate-Prices.aspx

http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Markets-and-statistics/Production-and-sales/Domestic-Sales-Summary.aspx

quote:

The private label brands' share of total supermarket milk volumes has been relatively stable over the last couple of years; and up from around 25% back in 1999/2000. Looking more closely at the fresh white milk segments, where the majority of the pricing activity of the past two and a half years has occurred, private label brands currently account for 64% of fresh white regular full cream milk and 51% of modified fresh white milk sales.

The average price of private label products is significantly less than company branded products, due to a combination of product and pack size mix—with a greater proportion of private label purchases being larger plastic bottles of regular full cream milk.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Milkchat is the best chat. I hate discussing whatever new baby Bill Shorten has killed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

What difference does it make what commodity you produce?

Cotton farms require a lot more water and are essentially unsustainable in Australian conditions - so they set them up on the banks of the Murray and kill water supply downstream. Then they complain during drought.

Dairy farming is a lot more sustainable in comparison.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also pineapple in a pizza can gently caress right off, and that FDoTM was terrible as no one but Guardian readers will even see it and it wasn't funny.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This doesn't show what you think it shows. The price milk is sold to consumers for and the price paid to farmers are different things.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 12, 2016

Gorndar
May 31, 2004
DATA FLOW DIAGRAM!
In unrelated news, WA state budget comes out in about an hour. Will be interesting to see if they continue to freeze public service hiring, if they actually fund services at all or if they cut stuff even more. A bad state budget could have influence on the federal election although as the state election is early next year i'm betting on a 'oh all those huge cuts to everything we did last 3 years, forget those we are building some giant project that is super cool', which could possibly swing WA voters back to liberals for the federal election as people don't seem able to separate state and federal governments.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also pineapple in a pizza can gently caress right off, and that FDoTM was terrible as no one but Guardian readers will even see it and it wasn't funny.

gently caress off, pineapple is the ultimate pizza topping

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

I for one do not like the texture of pineapple on my pizza vote for me in the senate

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

As the traffic rolls by various Adelaide folks are blasting their horns at Xenophon. If you’ve ever wandered around the city with him, it’s like being with a minor celebrity. It’s really quite a thing.

Why is NX so popular? Do Adelaidans have nothing better to do than cheer for a bloke whose face looks like porridge that's been dropped on a footpath?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

This doesn't show what you think it shows. The price milk is sold to consumers for and the price paid to farmers are different things.

You're right, I thought that private-labels all bypassed the processors, like Farmer's Own. But that's only 4%, not 64%.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Manus Island asylum seekers no longer in detention, says Papua New Guinea

Asylum seekers and refugees are no longer in detention on Manus Island, according to a Papua New Guinea immigration official who has said they have freedom to leave the centre.

The move is designed to get around last month’s supreme court ruling that detention of the almost 900 men is illegal and unconstitutional, and reportedly offers them freedom to go into the nearby town of Lorengau.

The PNG immigration department made the announcement on Thursday, the ABC reported, with deputy chief migration officer Esther Gaegaming claiming “no asylum seeker or refugee is in detention”.

But Iranian journalist and Manus Island detainee Behrouz Bouchani said there had been no new announcement to the detainees, and freedoms remained restricted.

Bouchani said a bus went into Lorengau from outside the prison three times a day, and had done since a few days after the court decision.

There had been no new announcement in recent days, beyond a case manager flagging a “cultural program” for detainees who wished to visit Manus villages and learn about PNG culture, he said.

“We can only use the bus on these times for going to town, and also we need to write a request form and wait for their response,” he told Guardian Australia. Detainees were told of the bus service after the court decision.

“We cannot go outside freely because around the centre is navy area,” he said.

He also said some people with negative refugee claims had been permitted to go into Lorengau, despite the new arrangement reportedly allowing only for those who agree to resettle in PNG.

Restrictions on inter-compound movement between the separated groups of those with approved refugee claims and those whose claims were rejected, remained in place, Bouchani added, and he had seen an increased police presence on the island.

The PNG immigration minister could not be reached for comment.

Ian Rintoul, spokesman for the Refugee Action Coalition, dismissed the new regulations. “Papua New Guinea can open the gates to fulfil some technicality, but people are not free to move out of the detention centre wherever they like,” he told Reuters.

The Australian immigration minister, Peter Dutton, on Thursday morning directed reporters’ questions to the PNG authorities, but reiterated his view that Manus was the responsibility of PNG. However he confirmed Australia still provided for the services which ran it, and said there would be no renegotiation of contracts based on its new “open” nature.

“We obviously provide funding to the PNG Government and to organisations to provide those health services, those meals, all those services that are provided,” he said. “As you’re aware there’s no detention on Nauru. It’s an open arrangement there, 24/7 open centre arrangement, and if PNG are heading down that track well that’s really an issue for the PNG Government to comment on.”

The supreme court ruling threw the offshore processing agreement between Australia and PNG into disarray, both governments claiming the other was responsible for the – now illegally – detained men.

High-level talks have been held between the two governments to determine a response, although Dutton this week said he did not see it being resolved until after the federal election.

He also said the supreme court did not rule that Manus “needed to close”.

He had previously flagged that an “open centre” style arrangement, like that on Nauru, could address the court’s concerned.

The court ruling called for both the Australian and PNG governments to “take all steps necessary to cease and prevent the continued unconstitutional and illegal detention”. The following day the PNG prime minister, Peter O’Neill, announced the centre would close.

In the space of one day the internal gates of the facility were opened, allowing detainees to move freely between compounds and use phones without retribution, and then shut again just hours later, separating people with different determinations.

On Friday PNG’s deputy permanent representative to the United Nations, Fred Sarufa, fronted the UN for PNG’s universal periodic review.

Sarufa told the panel PNG accepted the court ruling and was working to make “appropriate arrangements”.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/12/manus-island-asylum-seekers-no-longer-in-detention-says-papua-new-guinea

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Mike Baird has this morning sacked me as the Mayor of Leichhardt and abolished Leichhardt Council.

Every other elected Councillor in Leichhardt, Marrickville and Ashfield has also been sacked.

A hand picked Liberal Party Dictator has been appointed by Baird to rule the Inner West for at least 18 months.

I can announce that myself and the Mayors of Ashfield and Marrickville will form an elected Mayors Council to stand up for and protect our communities for as long as this dictatorship lasts.

Like and share if you will stand with us and fight against Baird and his dictator.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1012038842205345&id=559272954148605

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Cotton farms require a lot more water and are essentially unsustainable in Australian conditions - so they set them up on the banks of the Murray and kill water supply downstream. Then they complain during drought.

Dairy farming is a lot more sustainable in comparison.

This is just false. From a water perspective how sustainable farming is is determined by how water rights are regulated not by the type of commodity grown.

Dairy farms aren't exactly light on their water usage either.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Spudd posted:

Mike Baird has this morning sacked me as the Mayor of Leichhardt and abolished Leichhardt Council.

Good I didn't vote for you

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Releasing people into the wilds of New Guinea may prove to be even crueler than keeping them locked up. Bravo Guys.

open24hours posted:

Wish someone would bail out my business when demand dropped.
Why are we back here?

See how someone casually dumped on the farmers due to the drop in demand? Turns out those very same farmers were not receiving any benefit from the previous enormous increase in demand and consequent lack of supply. It is a bit rich to suddenly invoke the invisible hand of the free market when that is definitely not what the farmers have been experiencing up to that point. Now if this wasn't in anyway what you were saying then mea culpa but...

To my eye this is one of those wonderful free market catch alls. Things gently caress up? Public help and subsidy. Things go well? gently caress you got mine! Hey keep those big government tax claws off my back! Everything ratchets in one direction only and it is always to the favour of the house.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Birdstrike posted:

Good I didn't vote for you

Whoops, didn't make it a quote. My bad.

Still vote 1 for Spudd, I'll change our national flag to D-Dog.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

See how someone casually dumped on the farmers due to the drop in demand? Turns out those very same farmers were not receiving any benefit from the previous enormous increase in demand and consequent lack of supply.

Uhh, lol? Now I can't tell who's being ironic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Spudd posted:

Still vote 1 for Spudd, I'll change our national flag to D-Dog.

Can you change our national anthem to that qail from In His Eyes?

Not the song as a whole. Just that WHOOOA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
:siren:Cultural Marxism:siren:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Meanjin's application for a measly $95k has been knocked back. Will likely close.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/may/12/literary-magazine-meanjin-may-close-after-losing-australia-council-funding?CMP=soc_568

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

:siren:Cultural Marxism:siren:

I still don't get what this means, other than whoever mentions it is almost exclusively a colossal shithead.

Ironic users are as always excused.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

I'm not sure if anyone knows what it really means

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

They could crowdfund that amount, surely?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Firetrick posted:

While dollar milk has a lot to answer for, the recent problem has a lot more to do with Devondale milk powder failing in China. They sold about a quarter what they projected in the first 6 months of the financial year and are nowhere near the years forecast. The prime buying season in terms of online sales to China is October through February and the powder stockpile will grow while loads of unsold product expires.

A year ago Devondale was THE brand to have for Chinese buying Australian milk, so much that JD.com bought a big share in Murray Goulburn and has been encouraging them to overproduce. No distributor will touch it while MG flogs it off for 5.50/kg though. The Chinese consumer doesn't trust that kind of price drop and this will only further devalue the brand. Fonterra is being quite opportunistic with their drop which they backdated to beginning of season.

We might finally see the end of dollar milk as a result, otherwise there's going to be a lot of beef on the market soon

This was my take on it too. There have been some trade restrictions put in place in China that have slowed demand for dairy products, plus I think the grey imports have been curtailed a bit as well. With the Chinese economy slowing (probably by a lot more than the made-up numbers their government puts out suggest) any industry that bet the farm on China is probably up poo poo creek now or in the not too distant future.

But regardless of the cause of the price cuts, this is going to put a huge number of people out of business and gently caress over rural communities. At the very least there should be some sort of assistance package to help farmers adjust to a new crop or leave the land or something.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Zenithe posted:

I still don't get what this means, other than whoever mentions it is almost exclusively a colossal shithead.

Members of the ReichRight have held for some decades that there is a large conspiracy in western institutions such as universities, schools and the public service to use marxist reasoning to dismantle society, as though this were a deliberate and organised effort rather than the natural tendency of large populations of diverse background to want to remove specific legal and economic markers that serve to create a "favoured group" compared to the rest. In Australia for example, that favoured group would be anybody that is white, male and naturally born here, and usually old, because analysing the social elements that favour them over all other groups and then using this to influence policy and education is apparently a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenithe posted:

People who promote left wing ideals are secretly trying to destroy Western civilisation.

• Locked thread