Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

`Nemesis posted:

The West Texas fertilizer plant explosion has been determined to be a criminal act by the BATF and the Texas State Fire Marshall's office... they basically said it was a deliberate act that cause the fire and eventual explosion.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36271136

When I first read it I thought that the BATF was the perpetrator, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

The West Texas fertilizer plant explosion has been determined to be a criminal act by the BATF and the Texas State Fire Marshall's office... they basically said it was a deliberate act that cause the fire and eventual explosion.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36271136

What are the odds someone tried to sneak a smoke and tossed the butt in the wrong place?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Glass Joe posted:

What are the odds someone tried to sneak a smoke and tossed the butt in the wrong place?

I don't think they would be pursuing the criminal charges if they just found remains of a cig butt. Most likely they found something like a fire accelerant that shouldn't have been there.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't think they would be pursuing the criminal charges if they just found remains of a cig butt. Most likely they found something like a fire accelerant that shouldn't have been there.

It was usama bin laden

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

MG3 posted:

When I first read it I thought that the BATF was the perpetrator, lol

Me too, I thought it was a modern day version of this:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/13/406243272/im-from-philly-30-years-later-im-still-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-move-bombing

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I thought of Waco first, but that was my second thought.

Have you seen "let the fire burn" it's a documentary on that exact event. Great doc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Locator posted:

I could be wrong, but from what I can see in that picture, that's all telecom gear, not a fusebox/electrical.

If it's not a fuse box, why are there fuses in it?

e: Not to mention an outlet stuck to the wall coming out of it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yeah, it's a fusebox alright. Good thing there's a residual-current circuit breaker on there.

The building engineer knows about it and it's going to be replaced some time this year.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll just carry and throw this because sliding it into place is gay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/apvNF2P.gifv

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rolling, rolling on the river.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's a swift boat!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

cross posting to the trucker thread

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kilonum posted:

cross posting to the trucker thread

Link?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564295

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's quite the wake.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

nope nope nope.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

What is that?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Karma Monkey posted:

What is that?

Wires that were seriously nicked by the dumbass stripping the insulation off it. A very likely point of failure in the near future, especially if that set of wires experiences any motion. And then you have live conductors just having off into space.

Edit: Also it looks like one of them doesn't even go into the terminal block and stops just short of it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karma Monkey posted:

What is that?

a nope obviously.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I guess this fits here. On of our site managers saw a mysterious door that had a safety barrier on the floor in front of it, caution tape at chest level, and multiple signs saying "DO NOT OPEN".

He opened the door.

Turns out the room was being renovated and scaffolding had been placed in front of the Forbidden Door. The scaffold went down and I don't know what other damage happened, but there were no casualties aside from the site manager getting his head put on a pike as he got shitcanned like five minutes after the incident.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsxGrikfm2g

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess this fits here. On of our site managers saw a mysterious door that had a safety barrier on the floor in front of it, caution tape at chest level, and multiple signs saying "DO NOT OPEN".

He opened the door.

Turns out the room was being renovated and scaffolding had been placed in front of the Forbidden Door. The scaffold went down and I don't know what other damage happened, but there were no casualties aside from the site manager getting his head put on a pike as he got shitcanned like five minutes after the incident.

Bad luck. If it had turned out lazy employees had put up the barrier so they could goof off in that room all day and no one would ever check on them, then he would have been a hero!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wires that were seriously nicked by the dumbass stripping the insulation off it. A very likely point of failure in the near future, especially if that set of wires experiences any motion. And then you have live conductors just having off into space.

Edit: Also it looks like one of them doesn't even go into the terminal block and stops just short of it.

No.. If I look it looks like they jammed 2 wires together to make the connection because it wouldn't fit through the hole in the J box.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

But there were no casualties aside from the site manager getting his head put on a pike

What's the SWMS for putting someone's head on a pike?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Amazing the engine managed to live through all of that.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 12, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Amazing the engine managed to live through all of that.
Are we sure its driving or floating?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

zedprime posted:

Are we sure its driving or floating?

It seems to have a wake, so it's moving forwards.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

He opened the door.

WTF did he think he was in Bluebeard's castle? Why would you open a door taped over and labeled "DO NOT OPEN"?

ETA: Bluebeard, not Blackbeard. :doh:

Karma Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 12, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karma Monkey posted:

WTF did he think he was in Blackbeard's castle? Why would you open a door taped over and labeled "DO NOT OPEN"?

:catbert: adventure.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

tater_salad posted:

No.. If I look it looks like they jammed 2 wires together to make the connection because it wouldn't fit through the hole in the J box.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

The inner diameter of the wires is too large to fit the holes in the block, so multiple conductors are clipped off to make it fit. This might not be a huge issue by itself--oversized cable may have been used, so removing conductors leading up to a terminal connection might not cause any issues due to higher resistance (but if the cable was the right size, then the terminals might be underrated). The only problem I have is that the insulation was stripped away pretty far from where the conductors where cut.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Karma Monkey posted:

WTF did he think he was in Bluebeard's castle? Why would you open a door taped over and labeled "DO NOT OPEN"?

ETA: Bluebeard, not Blackbeard. :doh:

I honestly have no idea. No one had a chance to ask because he got whisked out of the building so fast, they might as well have used a CIA wetwork team to disappear him to a black site.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just don't know what's on the other side of there.. If it's going right into a terminal I can understand that.. but if it's still got a run to go they had to re-connect it together somewhere because if it's too big to fit you need to cut the wire then slim it down then try and get it through, then reconnect because slimming a 2 inch section wont' work if you cant fit anything else in the hole.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

I honestly have no idea. No one had a chance to ask because he got whisked out of the building so fast, they might as well have used a CIA wetwork team to disappear him to a black site.

So... are you sure that there was nothing in the room besides the scaffold? Did anyone actually witness it? Maybe there was something of national security importance there. :raise:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karma Monkey posted:

So... are you sure that there was nothing in the room besides the scaffold? Did anyone actually witness it? Maybe there was something of national security importance there. :raise:

:tinfoil:

you were just a rube in a CONSPIRACY. Your manager was trying to save the world and you hosed them over by just watching them get abducted and no doubt buttprobed to death. Jeez. Where is your :patriot:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

toplitzin posted:

It's a swift boat!
:golfclap:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

:tinfoil:

you were just a rube in a CONSPIRACY. Your manager was trying to save the world and you hosed them over by just watching them get abducted and no doubt buttprobed to death. Jeez. Where is your :patriot:

Another victim of Big Scaffold. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Slanderer posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about?

The inner diameter of the wires is too large to fit the holes in the block, so multiple conductors are clipped off to make it fit. This might not be a huge issue by itself--oversized cable may have been used, so removing conductors leading up to a terminal connection might not cause any issues due to higher resistance (but if the cable was the right size, then the terminals might be underrated). The only problem I have is that the insulation was stripped away pretty far from where the conductors where cut.

Electricity travels primarily along the outside (surface) area of the wire. Said wire is now de-rated ..