Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

AradoBalanga posted:

So, where do the Z II parts end and the ZZ parts begin? Because it just looks like a Z II with I think the ZZ's shoulders. Not a whole lot of customization there.

Half of the joke is that just as the Z Gundam's "upgrade" was the ZZ, the ZII's upgrade is the ZZ II.

The other half is that the ZII already incorporated a few design touches from the ZZ anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So, where do the Z II parts end and the ZZ parts begin? Because it just looks like a Z II with I think the ZZ's shoulders. Not a whole lot of customization there.

It has the ZZ's shoulder cannons/giant beam sabres.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Honestly when our space carrier has kids on it they oughta just be dumped off on the nearest colony and some grizzled vets brought in to actually fight the war.

War is bad(but it looks super rad look at this badass poo poo yeeeah). If you really want to show how bad war is, show how boring it is.

i dunno, i think a show like Now and Then Here and There is great at showing how terrible war is just by showing non-stop horrible things that can happen. it also has a cast mostly made up of children, which works because war would affect them just as much as adults.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Framing a war story as horror rather than action generally works, too. It's surprising more anti-war shows don't do that. In fact, while I can see why Gundam as a whole doesn't do that (given that glamourising warfare in order to sell toys is basically how it makes its money), it seems like a pretty obvious option for an OVA. Stargazer strayed a little close with its ultraviolet fever-dream action, and Thunderbolt had that one bit with the Zaku's-eye-view of Io going in for the kill, but it still feels like fertile but unexplored ground. Maybe have a family stuck in a city that becomes a One Year War battlefield, or something? Really dig into how it ripped ordinary people's lives apart.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Half of the joke is that just as the Z Gundam's "upgrade" was the ZZ, the ZII's upgrade is the ZZ II.

The other half is that the ZII already incorporated a few design touches from the ZZ anyways.

Darth Walrus posted:

It has the ZZ's shoulder cannons/giant beam sabres.
Ah, now it's making sense.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

We finally got some news on the BF OVAs. Well, as far as model kits can be news.

Gyancelot,

and ZZ II.

Both of these are much closer to S1's aesthetic than Try's, so I'm pretty hopeful for this OVA.

EDIT: Also

Pandaguy.

ImpAtom posted:

It was a Gaia Gundam, the Nyaia Gundam

The next time someone makes a post exclusively about gunpla I'm closing the thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Please talk about gunpla in the gunpla thread, gunpla.

Gunpla gunpla gunpla.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only value in Katz was that his death provided one of the series gut punches in ZZ, when Hayato is shown his room well after his death. I'm like "Oooooh yeah!" and then "oooooooh. Yeah....." and then I'm like "loving Katz ruins everything, the rear end in a top hat" as Hayato cries.:smith:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That reminds me that Katz was one of the kids in the first Gundam series. Was there any point to the kids in Zeta? At least in the first series, it's justified how White Base was full of civilians and the kids were basically orphans with nowhere to go.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Please talk about gunpla in the gunpla thread, gunpla.

Gunpla gunpla gunpla.

Droyer do it, don't go back on ur word.

Allarion posted:

That reminds me that Katz was one of the kids in the first Gundam series. Was there any point to the kids in Zeta? At least in the first series, it's justified how White Base was full of civilians and the kids were basically orphans with nowhere to go.

Comic relief

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The only value in Katz was that his death provided one of the series gut punches in ZZ, when Hayato is shown his room well after his death. I'm like "Oooooh yeah!" and then "oooooooh. Yeah....." and then I'm like "loving Katz ruins everything, the rear end in a top hat" as Hayato cries.:smith:

Man, it sucks to be Hayato.

I mean, Amuro becomes THE pilot, for good and ill. Basically a living legend. Yeah, in the end (and the middle. And the beginning) it ruined his life, but it was something.

Kai became a globetrotting superspy reporter and all around cool dude, and outlived the other initial White base pilots by a substantial amount.

Bright and Mirai managed to keep their marriage together, despite several near misses, and proved Bright has cockroach somewhere in his DNA, considering he survived Zeta, ZZ, AND Char's Counterattack, all in a reasonably prominent role.

Sayla had the sense to just blow everything off and sit by a pool somewhere.

And Hayato... married Fraw, who liked Amuro more than him, lost his adopted son to war, and then died before his kid was born, failing to evacuate civilians as he saw the Federation he fought for allow millions to die for, basically, no good reason.

Geesh. At least Ryu got to accomplish something when he bought it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i dunno, i think a show like Now and Then Here and There is great at showing how terrible war is just by showing non-stop horrible things that can happen. it also has a cast mostly made up of children, which works because war would affect them just as much as adults.

Vifam, is also good about showing a group of children in the middle of war.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vifam is v good but I shudder to think what the reaction to it would be from folks that wish death on anime kids

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Srice posted:

Vifam is v good but I shudder to think what the reaction to it would be from folks that wish death on anime kids

I'd imagine that anyone who hates anime kids wouldn't even bother with Vifam given that the entire cast is kids. Well-written kids, thank the gods, but I could see how some of them would grate on someone's nerves. (Lookin' at you, Kentsu and Sharon, or the two youngest.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Man, it sucks to be Hayato.

I mean, Amuro becomes THE pilot, for good and ill. Basically a living legend. Yeah, in the end (and the middle. And the beginning) it ruined his life, but it was something.

Kai became a globetrotting superspy reporter and all around cool dude, and outlived the other initial White base pilots by a substantial amount.

Bright and Mirai managed to keep their marriage together, despite several near misses, and proved Bright has cockroach somewhere in his DNA, considering he survived Zeta, ZZ, AND Char's Counterattack, all in a reasonably prominent role.

Sayla had the sense to just blow everything off and sit by a pool somewhere.

And Hayato... married Fraw, who liked Amuro more than him, lost his adopted son to war, and then died before his kid was born, failing to evacuate civilians as he saw the Federation he fought for allow millions to die for, basically, no good reason.

Geesh. At least Ryu got to accomplish something when he bought it.

Hayato is like a normal guy with normal abilities thrown into a bunch of exceptionally talented individuals and forced to try to keep up with them. The fact that he both adopted Katz out of a sense of responsibility and continued fighting to help people and for good causes despite surviving the loving One Year War instead of loving off somewhere speaks volumes about how good of a person he is. One of the very few things I hated about the Origin was how it played up Hayato being a pathetic little nobody who has a tiny penis and obviously can't measure up to Amuro's titanic newtype girth so please don't steal Fraw!!!! :qq: Hayato's a good person, god damnit, even if he's not a super talented newtype ace.

Unfortunately, just being a good person doesn't necessarily mean you'll win in the end. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If he didn't have a tiny penis he wouldn't look like this

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd imagine that anyone who hates anime kids wouldn't even bother with Vifam given that the entire cast is kids. Well-written kids, thank the gods, but I could see how some of them would grate on someone's nerves. (Lookin' at you, Kentsu and Sharon, or the two youngest.)

Good.

Anyone who would write off a fine show based on that element doesn't deserve it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

Hayato is like a normal guy with normal abilities thrown into a bunch of exceptionally talented individuals and forced to try to keep up with them. The fact that he both adopted Katz out of a sense of responsibility and continued fighting to help people and for good causes despite surviving the loving One Year War instead of loving off somewhere speaks volumes about how good of a person he is. One of the very few things I hated about the Origin was how it played up Hayato being a pathetic little nobody who has a tiny penis and obviously can't measure up to Amuro's titanic newtype girth so please don't steal Fraw!!!! :qq: Hayato's a good person, god damnit, even if he's not a super talented newtype ace.

Unfortunately, just being a good person doesn't necessarily mean you'll win in the end. :smith:

It's weird, because I liked that bit in The Origin. Yeah, it's kinda whiny, but at the same time he's no Sleggar Law. He hates having to say anything to a friend, but at the same time he recognizes how dangerous and toxic Amuro's become since the war started. All he wants is for Amuro to let Fraw go now, before she gets dragged along into the darker poo poo. I really do hate that Sayla's VA couldn't show up later in the franchise significantly. She is most definitely someone that could hang with Amuro in some of the crazier stuff that happens to him later. Fraw? God, the poor girl would have been an alcoholic before her twenties.

Sometimes I like to pretend Hayato didn't die.:unsmith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I kinda like that Sayla didn't show up more, since it killed Amuro's probable love interest and I find him having a string of failed but hopeful relationships where he's trying to get over his past but can't quite do it more compelling and in tone with the character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Srice posted:

The only kid-aged character I wanted to die is Katz. That has nothing to do with his age, he's just written in a way that irks me, a person that constantly explains why Shinji is emotionally dead in the start of EoE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

The next time someone makes a post exclusively about gunpla I'm closing the thread.

They were mentioning that those were units from the upcoming Build Fighters OAV? Like that is actual Gundam-related news. As is the thing I posted *which is from a Gundam manga and AFAIK doesn't have an actual model kit.*

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They were mentioning that those were units from the upcoming Build Fighters OAV? Like that is actual Gundam-related news. As is the thing I posted *which is from a Gundam manga and AFAIK doesn't have an actual model kit.*

my b on the second one, but in regards to the first one: so?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sayla is the only one to get a happy ending because she said gently caress it and decided to not let her life be dictated by a cycle of conflict that destroyed everybody else. Except for Kai because he's above all that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I kinda like that Sayla didn't show up more, since it killed Amuro's probable love interest and I find him having a string of failed but hopeful relationships where he's trying to get over his past but can't quite do it more compelling and in tone with the character.

I would be interested in how Char responded to her continued presence later in the uc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

I would be interested in how Char responded to her continued presence later in the uc.

This is basically the only reason I'd want to see Sayla but on the other hand it's pretty fitting that Char and her basically ended up entirely on the outs.

That is how the Tomino novel version ends too. Char goes off to be Zeon and Sayla fucks off to Earth and considers her brother gone.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

Because talking about designs is part and parcel of a giant robot show, and those designs are usually first shown in plastic robot form? Like, there's a design in the newest batch of OVA stuff that doesn't even have a name yet, but it's a cool design, so why not post it to talk about it?

You're the only one throwing a hissy fit about model kits whenever they come up. Considering that it's a show about gundam model kits, which has its first looks at new designs being model kits, getting upset because someone posted a model kit is super weird. What's the alternative, no design should be talked about until there is official, high-res lineart?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

... So information about the new Build Fighters OAV, including the designs, is something actually relevant to Gundam as a series?

Like is your argument "it's okay to talk about it if we have artwork but if we have Gunpla it isn't allowed?" What's the difference between discussing ZZ II's design from artwork vs discussing ZZ II's design from the Gunpla?

I mean, especially with Build Fighters, a lot of units get shown off as Gunpla first because it is a toy commerical. It feels weird to go "You're not allowed to discuss this Gundam stuff because the starting point of the conversation was a toy and not a picture!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Aren't those kits the only official art they've released of the Build Fighter OVAs so far?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

My argument is that model kits have a thread all of their own, so they should be kept in that thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

My argument is that model kits have a thread all of their own, so they should be kept in that thread.

Okay.

Except in this case the discussion wasn't about model kits. It is about new designs for an upcoming Gundam show about battling model kits, shown first as model kits. They were not posted for any reason other than to show the designs of the units and people were discussing the designs of the units. There is no other art of these units yet because they were shown first as model kits.

So do you think people should not discuss these new units until official art is out? I don't read the Gunpla thread so this was actually interesting news to me because I hadn't been aware they were showing off the BF OAV units yet. Among other things I was happy to discover that Sazaki is going to be coming back. (Because come on, Gyancelot is his.)

I get that you don't want this thread to turn into the Gunpla Thread 2.0 but Gundam is a series where new Gundams are first shown off in Gunpla fairly regularly because it is also a toy commercial and so there is going to be a time when someone posts a toy in this thread because it is our first look at a new unit and people like to discuss new units.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 12, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Okay.

Except in this case the discussion wasn't about model kits. It is about new designs for an upcoming Gundam show about battling model kits, shown first as model kits. They were not posted for any reason other than to show the designs of the units and people were discussing the designs of the units. There is no other art of these units yet because they were shown first as model kits.

So do you think people should not discuss these new units until official art is out? I don't read the Gunpla thread so this was actually interesting news to me because I hadn't been aware they were showing off the BF OAV units yet. Among other things I was happy to discover that Sazaki is going to be coming back. (Because come on, Gyancelot is his.)

the people who are interested in discussing the designs in and of themselves are all but certainly reading the gunpla thread as well, so there's no need to post them here.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

So talking about the designs is forbidden until we have a non-model kit source? The gunpla thread exists to talk about the purchasing and building of model kits, but why is using them as examples of design elements or to talk about aspects they like a bad thing? Hell, there's some really good worldbuilding in the manuals, and that's some really good general thread content, so why is the fact that it came from a model kit a sin?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

the people who are interested in discussing the designs in and of themselves are all but certainly reading the gunpla thread as well, so there's no need to post them here.

I'm not and I actually like discussing the designs of Gundam, I just don't have time or money for the Gunpla hobby so I don't really follow that thread.

Also you posted this:

Droyer posted:

So the design for what I assume will be the first opponent of the IBO sidestory manga has been unveiled

Looks like they're gonna be fighting another Teiwaz subsidiary.

So what is the difference? Should you, by your own logic, have posted that in the Gunpla thread?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

whoops didn't see your edit. While i'll admit i overreacted this time, several times in the past of both this and the last thread someone posting models led to people talking about nothing but models, so since the conversation can clearly not be contained i'd rather it not be had at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.turner.com/pressroom/adult-swim-continues-capture-millennial-audiences-multi-platform-programming-slate

Cartoon Network picked up IBO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Toonami seems like a real good fit for the show. Certainly better than the kids' slot it got on Japanese TV. Here's hoping it does well in America.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Back when they first aired Gundam shows, Cartoon Network would do special presentations of the Gundam movies. They should do that with the movie version of Thunderbolt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have to assume IBO will be on Adult Swim, right?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Yep. Looks like it.