Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

zVxTeflon posted:

Youre bringing 3 big debris instead of rocks right. If the other guy is bringing rocks on your placement turn toss his biggest rock in the far corner you think your ghost is least likely to be for a majority of the game. You dont really need to ever worry about hitting debris if you take hera crew.

I've been using big rocks instead of debris. My Turn 0 strat with Dash is bring the biggest rocks and clump them up good and use that clump to screw with the opponent, although now that I think about it, that worked a lot better with Corran than the Ghost. :v:

I'm not a big fan of debris because debris doesn't break up swarms very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm not a big fan of debris because debris doesn't break up swarms very well.

You don't need rocks to break up a swarm; you have a ghost. You can either bump the swarm (and thus break the formation) or force them to move in bad ways to avoid the bump.

Bonus points if that pushes some or all of the swarm through obstacles.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

You don't need rocks to break up a swarm; you have a ghost. You can either bump the swarm (and thus break the formation) or force them to move in bad ways to avoid the bump.

Bonus points if that pushes some or all of the swarm through obstacles.

Hmm, good point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Youre bringing 3 big debris instead of rocks right. If the other guy is bringing rocks on your placement turn toss his biggest rock in the far corner you think your ghost is least likely to be for a majority of the game. You dont really need to ever worry about hitting debris if you take hera crew.

Why would he be placing his opponents rock? I suddenly feel like I and everyone I've played against has been placing obstacles wrong if we should be placing our opponents rocks/debris.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AndyElusive posted:

Why would he be placing his opponents rock? I suddenly feel like I and everyone I've played against has been placing obstacles wrong if we should be placing our opponents rocks/debris.

All the obstacles go in a big pool of 6, then players alternate picking and placing one.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

You put your three obstacles and your opponent's three into a pile/pool, which you can both draw from, when making placements at the start. So if your opponent has obstacles that you don't like the look of/want near your guys, then yeah it's totally a good move to deploy it first, and cram it into a corner somewhere out of the way.

e:f;b

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
One thing I was kinda thinking about would be Dash Rendar crew on the ghost? You get hit with the asteroid but you have a fair amount of health, you lose your actions but with AC/AutoBlaster you don't super need it. Of course it wouldn't work if you're flying Ultra Dash as a wingman but maybe some of the other Ghost combos? Plus I like trying to find uses for cards that never see the table.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp, now that I know I've been doing the place obstacles phase improperly I'm now questioning everything I know about Wang.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This really helped me with rock placement:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/3/20/turn-zero/

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Obstacle placement is very important and knowing how to do it well will revolutionise your ability to beat certain lists, particularly swarms and lists with multiple large bases.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eimi posted:

For Juno my thinking is go for PTL and TIE Mk 2 to add the 3 bank as green for 4 points total. She isn't the best PTL user due to no hards as green, but she certainly has a ton of green options on her dial that way. Another thing I was thinking of was going with Juke, to get some more mileage out of the evade token, letting it double as an offensive booster if it's still around when you get to shoot. And then Prockets is an offensive upgrade, that doesn't really work with Juke, but since Juke is cheaper there's more points to fit it in. Or adding Prockets to the PTL/TIE version.

I know it's not the best list but any thoughts on either the wingmen or how to deck out Ryad or Juno?

PTL on a TIE Advanced doesn't work in my experience, the lack of turns just kills them. I like to keep Juno cheap, VI, title and an accuracy corrector. She can either use her action to barrel roll out of arc or focus/evade and keep it for defence whilst consistently scoring 2 hits a turn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for this. I'm going to endeavor to up my obstacle game.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

AndyElusive posted:

Thanks for this. I'm going to endeavor to up my obstacle game.

Gonna try this in a few, want to see if I can have some Ion fuckery along with everything else.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ro5s posted:

PTL on a TIE Advanced doesn't work in my experience, the lack of turns just kills them. I like to keep Juno cheap, VI, title and an accuracy corrector. She can either use her action to barrel roll out of arc or focus/evade and keep it for defence whilst consistently scoring 2 hits a turn.

Do you think AC works well in a triple ace type thing I'm trying to do here? AC is totally consistent, but ATC has more variance and higher potential. I think VI might have potential, as around here 9 ps is crowded, and letting her go last with her ability can ensure I can get an action. I guess the AC variant does fit with Whisper if I want to keep watching TIE Phantoms explode til I learn how to fly them. Do you think it's better to stick with Whisper and go AC Juno or drop Whisper to OL or Inquisitor?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

So for anyone else who's is also a massive Poe fan, the lady who made him is giving away some pillow sheets: http://brilcrist.tumblr.com/.

She's also working on General Hux so we can get that scene that we were blue-balled out of for two whole movies now. ;)

Chill it was kinda funny when it was 'hey im obsessed with Poe' gimmick but this is legitimately creepy. Please don't post about it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eimi posted:

Do you think AC works well in a triple ace type thing I'm trying to do here? AC is totally consistent, but ATC has more variance and higher potential. I think VI might have potential, as around here 9 ps is crowded, and letting her go last with her ability can ensure I can get an action. I guess the AC variant does fit with Whisper if I want to keep watching TIE Phantoms explode til I learn how to fly them. Do you think it's better to stick with Whisper and go AC Juno or drop Whisper to OL or Inquisitor?

I'd go with AC Juno and Whisper. I'm not a fan of the ATC on anyone other than Vader, it's too easy to kill an advanced when it's taking target locks and has no defence. With a phantom and an x7 defender in your list, Juno's the easiest target, especially if she's not got any defensive tokens because she's had to acquire or change her target lock.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Im the guy losing with Brobots if anyone is playing at Curio Cavern right now!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

so with debris, you take a stress and thus get no action, might take a damage, and can shoot.

with rocks, you get no action, might take a damage, and can't shoot? is that right?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Deviant posted:

so with debris, you take a stress and thus get no action, might take a damage, and can shoot.

with rocks, you get no action, might take a damage, and can't shoot? is that right?

Yes.

To be more specific, on rocks you take hits and crits, on debris you take damage from crits.

IIRC the damage from crits on debris is just regular face-down damage. I might be wrong.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Endman posted:

Yes.

To be more specific, on rocks you take hits and crits, on debris you take damage from crits.

IIRC the damage from crits on debris is just regular face-down damage. I might be wrong.

it's face up

"The player rolls one attack die. On a crit result, the ship suffers 1 critical damage."

Endman
May 18, 2010

Deviant posted:

it's face up

"The player rolls one attack die. On a crit result, the ship suffers 1 critical damage."

Thanks for looking that up.

I haven't played with debris for so long I forgot the exact rules.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Goddamn Defenders are predictable. Second turn I had Poe, Wedge, and Luke land within range one of one my Defenders and utterly obliterate it without mercy. Lost a stand in for Ryad after Poe and Wedge somehow landed in my rear arc, and my last Onyx defender managed to kill Wedge and cripple Poe and Luke before going down. They are durable as all hell, but I'm thinking of swapping it out for TIE/Ds and secondary weapons that can get more regular damage output.

Though the automatic Evade on 3+ moves with the X/7s is also nice.

I want to like this list, I just need to figure these fuckers out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Played my Scum trio list of Kavil, Zuckuss, and N'Dru tonight against someone running 2x Zeta Squadron TIE/fo and 5x Obsidian Squadron TIE/ln pilots. Seven ships, no upgrades.

I got pretty beat up. I managed to kill four ships overall but I made a bunch of really costly mistakes such as forgetting to drop a bomb when I had a prime opportunity which would have killed one ship, I overlooked an opportunity to use an action on Kavil to seal a Major Hull Breach which wound up costing me the game when a normal hit turned into a Console Fire which in turn damaged me when I was at 1 hull, and I also should have taken more Focus actions with Zuckuss than Evade, but I'm also salty about how poorly my dice were rolling. Against stressed TIEs I could roll hit crit crit and only watch as he rolled natural triple evades, meanwhile he would shoot at me for 1 from range three and I couldn't roll an evade to save my life. Blaming your dice is bad form I know, but goddamn.

And I need to not make stupid mistakes like that because I've decided, after a bunch more spots opened up, that I'm gonna try and go to Regionals down at Guardian Games on the 21st after all. I still haven't quite figured out the logistics, I might pool down with someone, and I'm not sure what to expect because it's my first Regionals except I'm expecting a stiffer brand of competition than I've had to deal with before. At least I have a bye.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Is there a number threshold with red dice in deciding whether or not to target lock or focus? When is it preferred to TL vs Focus, and vice versa?

Likewise, is there a preference for taking an evade vs taking a focus when it comes to a certain number of green dice?

I ask this because on the weekend I kept taking evades on my A-Wings, and they got smashed up when taking a focus would have kept them alive much longer.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dude McAwesome posted:

Is there a number threshold with red dice in deciding whether or not to target lock or focus? When is it preferred to TL vs Focus, and vice versa?

Likewise, is there a preference for taking an evade vs taking a focus when it comes to a certain number of green dice?

I ask this because on the weekend I kept taking evades on my A-Wings, and they got smashed up when taking a focus would have kept them alive much longer.

Target lock and focus are identical in terms of expected number of hits, but target lock ever so slightly edges out focus in terms of expected damage because you can reroll into a crit. Don't rely on that; focus is more versatile. Take a target lock if you're not getting shot, save it for a shot that you can have both target lock and focus. I only target lock when I don't have a shot, and I'm not being shot (or don't have a similar effect with pilot abilities, like with Luke).

An evade is good for one evade result; a focus is good for 1/4 of an evade result per die rolled. Evade tokens are better if you're taking fire from one ship, focus tokens are better if you're taking fire from multiple ships (generally). If you only have one green die, evade tokens are always better (assuming you don't have a shot). If you do have a shot, focus can work on offense if you survive incoming fire, and in case you don't use it on defense. Once again: take both if you ever get the opportunity. I never fly A-wings without Push the Limit for exactly that reason.

If you have autothrusters, and you know autothrusters are going to be in play (you're out of arc, or beyond range 2), take a focus. If you roll all focuses, you get hosed, but if you roll evades your focus is unnecessary on defense but not wasted (because you still dodged something).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Statistically, there is no difference in either focusing or target locking, because they both provide the same percentage increase in hits. Red dice have 2 focus, 2 blanks, 3 hits, 1 crit, so with focus you get 0.75 probability to hit, and with target lock you get 0.50 + (0.50 * 0.50) = 0.75 probability. So use Target Lock/Focus based on the situation: if you aren't getting shot at, Target Lock, since you can potentially use the TL for next turn if you roll well. If you are getting shot at, focus, since you can potentially use the focus on defence (depending on PS).

Focus vs evade:

0 evade dice: 1 evade (with evade) vs 0 (with focus)
1 evade dice: 1.375 evades (with evade) vs 0.625 (with focus)
2 evade dice: 1.75 evades (with evade) vs 1.25 (with focus)
3 evade dice: 2.125 evades (with evade) vs 1.875 (with focus)
4 evade dice: 2.5 evades (with evade) vs 2.5 (with focus)

Although it looks like evade is better than focus, if you are getting shot at more than once, focus is better, since your chance of seeing an eyeball (or double eyeball) is increased. If you are only getting shot at by a single enemy ship, statistically Evade is better.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Awesome. Thanks for the write-ups.

Strobe posted:

If you have autothrusters, and you know autothrusters are going to be in play (you're out of arc, or beyond range 2), take a focus. If you roll all focuses, you get hosed, but if you roll evades your focus is unnecessary on defense but not wasted (because you still dodged something).

lol. I rolled three eyeballs and had an evade token, which resulted in me getting straight up murdered. A blank would have saved me with thrusters.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

quote per Strobe

quote:

Thanks! Also, gently caress your list.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I'm kind of looking forward to trying this list.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I really want to like BB-8 Fat Poe, but the 41 point cost to get the full package on the table is intimidating and hard to do aside from dual ship lists, and I don't know if BB-8 Fat Poe is an equal to Corran. He's more resilient but he doesn't have the power to one turn eliminate something either. Also while BB-8 makes the Xwings greens suck slightly less, there are still no hard turn greens.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Anyone want to play XWANGS on TTS!? N.S.A on steam hit me up! on now till midnight EST!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Eimi posted:

I really want to like BB-8 Fat Poe, but the 41 point cost to get the full package on the table is intimidating and hard to do aside from dual ship lists, and I don't know if BB-8 Fat Poe is an equal to Corran. He's more resilient but he doesn't have the power to one turn eliminate something either. Also while BB-8 makes the Xwings greens suck slightly less, there are still no hard turn greens.

You can do a hard-turn green if you do a 1-bank maneuver, then as you free action do a boost in the same direction - that kind of works out as a hard two, more or less, doesn't it?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Yvonmukluk posted:

You can do a hard-turn green if you do a 1-bank maneuver, then as you free action do a boost in the same direction - that kind of works out as a hard two, more or less, doesn't it?

Half the point of a hard turn is doing a hard turn and then boosting.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Finally wore down a friend's resistance to buying the Rebel Transport :kheldragar: , meaning I can finally run XXX again. What's the current new hotness for that list? Bonus if it works especially well (well, more so than Wes' already good power against them) against triple toilet seats

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Archenteron posted:

Finally wore down a friend's resistance to buying the Rebel Transport :kheldragar: , meaning I can finally run XXX again. What's the current new hotness for that list? Bonus if it works especially well (well, more so than Wes' already good power against them) against triple toilet seats

Proton Torpedoes are Actually Good Now with chips. Hobbie Klivian with Targeting Astromech is almost disgustingly good except he's PS5. Folks like putting R3-A2 on Wes to stress folks. You could also try adding Flechettes to double-stress folks, but I'm not sold on stress-warfare personally.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think the go to XXX list is still Wes, Wedge, Luke. VI on Luke and Wes, Predator Wedge. R2 or R2-A3 on Wes, R2-D2 on Luke, R2 on Wedge, Integrated Astros on all three. Somewhat fragile but can hit hard at very high PS. If you have good green dice the first turn or two and they don't kill Wes or Wedge instantly you've got good odds at a win.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Tried out two TAPs and Howlrunner and Night Beast yesterday against a buddy's Double TLT Y-Wings and double ion cannon Y-Wings, all with BTL mod. Here's what I learned and have some Q's:

TAPs are surprisingly fragile, with two shield and two hull! I had them paired up with Deadeye, Guidance Chips, Cluster Missiles and the Title upgrade. Never fired off the missiles unfortunately. They are pretty nimble and fly well around the board.

I was using the Inquisitor, who's ability says treat all primary attacks as range 1 - does that mean even at range 3 defenders don't get that extra agility die?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was using the Inquisitor, who's ability says treat all primary attacks as range 1 - does that mean even at range 3 defenders don't get that extra agility die?

Oh yes. It also means that Autothrusters never work against him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also doing two 1 banks, one with your movement, one with the boost is more like a 4 turn than a 2 turn. BB-8 lets you adjust it somewhat, but a tight turn it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Oh yes. It also means that Autothrusters never work against him.

They do actually, per the FAQ, iirc.

• Locked thread