Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Someone check the bitcoin thread to see how deep in the hole Marching Powder is tia.

EDIT: Catte trying to work out this poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
The whole point of a free market is to make some free money, eh, now hurry up and rewrite these terms of services before they notice

Why yes, I did study at business school, how can you tell

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

kingcom posted:

Like this is basically libertarian insanity about letting the freemarket decide if a company should exist or not. The whole point is to gently caress that company in the rear end for being scammy shits so other people dont try it to begin with.

Hell, even loving Ayn Rand thought fraud was the most despicable act (because it harms the market.)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

kingcom posted:

Someone check the bitcoin thread to see how deep in the hole Marching Powder is tia.

Sounds like a reasonable and healthy thing to do over some bongs, sure

I can explain it as research for my just post thesis

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

At least I am not consumed with 'morning wines'

Although, looking at this thread, I sometimes wonder

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lol loving hell guys im feeling bad for you

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Kingcom your av is seriously loving with me, it's like I should be able to fly that avatar in the 'verse already

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

lol loving hell guys im feeling bad for you

Do you honestly believe in the the power of just posting? Because feeling bad while just posting isn't just posting, it's catholic posting (moved to confessional)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm sure you're always the savviest consumer and hey it's just this one mistake that should absolutely be instantly refunded by banks despite you giving this money to some dude when sound of mind and under no duress

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I really don't see the great injustice paypal is doing by refusing chargebacks for gambling and kickstarters, when the latter are essentially gambling by their nature? The fault is in the legal system not regulating kickstarter campaigns or providing consumer protection, which in most cases, seems to be a US-specific problem.

In Europe, Croberts lovely sales are clearly classed as purchases (see VAT), not donations. Therefore you are buying something. If you don't receive it, you are entitled to a refund out of the contract you entered. Chargebacks are not needed, so they are a non issue.

Needless to say you should NEVER pledge more than you can comfortably forget about in kickstarters anyway.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I am certain that you use the word duress far more often than one ought

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Marching Powder posted:

i'm sure you're always the savviest consumer and hey it's just this one mistake that should absolutely be instantly refunded by banks despite you giving this money to some dude when sound of mind and under no duress

Not the banks, the fuckhead who couldn't get his poo poo together and make his product.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Also, just loving lol if you think that shitizens are of sound mind

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mr.Tophat posted:

Also, just loving lol if you think that shitizens are of sound mind

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

Damned if you just post, damned if you effort post.

Aye. Post and you may die. Lurk, and you'll live - at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance - just one chance - to come back here and tell our enemies that they may archive our thread, but they'll never take our freedom to :justpost:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

on one hand lol if you put money in this and have regrets

otoh i have a lot more sympathy for consumers than businesses, because i am one and not the other

especially multimillion dollar corporations, in 2016 people in general seem real concerned that they get a fair shake

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beet Wagon posted:

Aye. Post and you may die. Lurk, and you'll live - at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance - just one chance - to come back here and tell our enemies that they may archive our thread, but they'll never take our freedom to :justpost:

fetch me my blue face paint and my purple wang paint.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

A true and honorable poster, indeed, mark me well, I first thought you were quoting words from a Crispins day, but alas, my heart was too false to think of the truth immediately before I was free to throw my just post into the heath.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ugh what got Marching Powder in a tizzy this time

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

THOSE drat GOONS

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/RI1I6IS.gifv

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

How a moderator of CIG handles a FUD thread with no poll

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

Kingcom your av is seriously loving with me, it's like I should be able to fly that avatar in the 'verse already

Lowtax started restructuring the forums pipeline but so far hes just done my av :(

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He's just living his life by his libercontrarian philosophy.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

The joke is it was moved to concern lol

:420:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

kingcom posted:

Lowtax started restructuring the forums pipeline but so far hes just done my av :(

:lol:

You're alright, you know that?

You're alright

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

The joke is it was moved to concern lol

:420:

I don't think anyone at CIG could make a window that a person could see through, let alone fit through.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I don't think anyone at CIG could make a window that a person could see through, let alone fit through.

clearly you just grab the body and blink

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They'd just put a wall there, the guy would have to clip through it himself.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The mod screams

"NO CLIP YOU SON OF A SMART"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I like joke creation, but I don't like it enough to back Star Citizen

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Jon Do posted:

clearly you just grab the body and blink

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They'd just put a wall there, the guy would have to clip through it himself.

Mr.Tophat posted:

The mod screams

"NO CLIP YOU SON OF A SMART"

The CIG take of this scene takes a good ten minutes longer as the man's is spaghettified through a small gap in the dull grey featureless wall.

Full Burn is played on repeat the whole time.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Thankfully, I went to clown college, and have applied to work at the big top known as CIG

I hope to reinvent the unicycle and ride it over a 64 positioned tight rope called "backer promises of laughter"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

I think the first one's a troll.
Other two aren't.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Even if I fail at making the audience laugh, at least I set fire to a suit entirely made of money from the admission fees, and at least I ensured not only that there was a safety net, but a golden parachute too, that will allow the audience to throw their pies at me and think, "this was all worth it, at least it was all worth it at the end"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The CIG take of this scene takes a good ten minutes longer as the man's is spaghettified through a small gap in the dull grey featureless wall.

Full Burn is played on repeat the whole time.

Genuinely made me laugh and feel mirth at Full Burn, I consider this a public service and as such, I think I owe you VAT now

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Believe it or not, I've never seen a full episode of Seinfeld

I know, I can't believe it either, but it's true!

I have watched some dumb videos about Seinfield though, because like I wasn't going to be uninformed about a show about nothing when I have a job to do here lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

Same argument could made for almost any product you buy online. "What did you expect, you bought it from the internet, you didn't check X Y and X, you didn't check if the seller was reputable, you didn't ask who Kaise Soze was either!"

Money can be used in exchange of goods and services. When those goods and services do not match what was promised, money has not been earned. The idea of a bank is to protect your money. Originally, this was against thieves directly stealing your money. If a bank doesn't try and protect customer's money from a particular kind of thief or con-man, then they are not keeping your money safe. They are trying to reduce the cost of the vault, and convince you that perhaps it's just the cost of the business of using one's money for a particular kind of good or service, that there is risk.

Crowdfunding is risky, and using a service that allows chargeback reduces that risk. If Paypal said, nope, we're not going to allow ANY transactions to ANY kickstarter, then they might have had some moral fiber. But they want their cake and eat it, they want to profit off the nerds placing their money down, yet deny them the services that a bank would provide in that transaction to protect the customer. gently caress them. Pay-PAL? Yeah, you're a real pal who wants to selectively help me when it doesn't cut into their profits or leisure time away from actually doing their loving job, thanks for letting the person who is potentially ripping me off know that you will do nothing to help your PAL, and have explained to your PAL that this is the case. Pals don't let pals charge back after all, someone who's trying to run a business could get hurt!

To put it another way, say I totally agree with you. It's a life lesson to all those nerds who threw money at JPEGs, be they for star citizen, printers or belts. But why the gently caress should those fraudulent and cruel life lessons allow the teacher to embezzle ridiculous amounts of money from their gullible students? To let them keep this money? Why should that be acceptable? Charge backs take the money out of the scammer's hands and raises the flag of, "This merchant has been acting unfairly towards customers and a bank had to get involved to make sure things went as they should." Paypal refusing charge back on kickstarters without denying service to kickstarter is providing more protection and service to the merchant than to the buyer. The person being sent money has more protection than the person handing over the money and agreed to use paypal in the first place.

Which is loving retarded. Don't defend paypal. They are cunts.

PAYPAL

:sympathy: Set up a charity account for urgent disaster relief
:smugdon: Those are a nice few hundred thousands dollars you got there, we better keep it for months in an interest bearing account while we investigate possible criminal origins

:corsair: Part nerd fools from their money
:smugdon: Don't worry, we won't allow chargebacks *wink* *wink*

More like CONPAL

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Melkor's notes allowed him to make that excellent post, and I refuse to believe otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

Melkor's notes allowed him to make that excellent post, and I refuse to believe otherwise

Don't try to butter me up, I know who you are mister.

• Locked thread