Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
No, game is not getting better just piling on things to grind for, introducing new things to help some initially then nerfing them again to sell you poo poo, yes, Scimitar is still good, yes, you can spend money to speed poo poo up but you should never give them money and to be fair it's better than Neverwinter but that doesn't help much. Don't give them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Preechr posted:

Our D is bigger and more exciting. Pubbies fear and envy the D, for the D consumes them with a passion that they cannot comprehend.

I lost the original of this post, which makes me sad.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Huh. The big news out of Germany is actually kinda big.

Hopefully they've got someone competent unfuckerating the UI backend.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Until they confirm that they're fixing the UI and bringing the changes back over to the PC, this gets a solid 'meh'. It's not like the console players will be on holodeck, they'll get their own ghetto server just like every other cross platform game.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This is a bold new frontier in the field of 'bad ideas'.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

AfroSquirrel posted:

This is a bold new frontier in the field of 'bad ideas'.
Is it? I see it making lots of money.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

SOEDaybreak just ported a 6 year old DCUO to the Xbone and apparently they have to get more servers to handle the players. Console players aren't nearly as jaded about f2p mmos because there really just aren't that many on those platforms. I could see this doing well, but I'm curious how they are fixing the poo poo UI and dozens of upon dozens of abilities they expect you to click on constantly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just make BOFFs have passives and one activatible ability, and then reduce the number of other abilities that you get. They really should streamline the poo poo out of this game.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

This... I mean, I can't think of a reason to give the benefit of the doubt, but this seems like a mistake. On the other hand, they might actually have to review and fix their code into something that *will* work on the multiple consoles, so maybe they will track their variables and we might get a better coded STO. Maybe.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cutedge posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just make BOFFs have passives and one activatible ability, and then reduce the number of other abilities that you get. They really should streamline the poo poo out of this game.

Yeah. The fact that spacebar macros exist and will sometimes span two rows of buttons indicates that there needs to be some loving reworking (which will never happen).

Space Hero Keith
Sep 26, 2015
They could always simplify the UI and game mechanics, merging any complex things into single buttons, release a mobile version, then re-master the PC version to use this new simplified design.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

g0del posted:

Until they confirm that they're fixing the UI and bringing the changes back over to the PC, this gets a solid 'meh'. It's not like the console players will be on holodeck, they'll get their own ghetto server just like every other cross platform game.

Well the blog says the graphical changes will be coming to the PC, but says nothing about the UI or controls.

There is an image of a Guest pass for Fed Con going around saying that they're going to be announcing William Shatner and a T6 Connie.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

A t6 connie? I thought they couldn't get CBS to let them do that?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Cutedge posted:

A t6 connie? I thought they couldn't get CBS to let them do that?

Please go post about it on the STO forums and gather opinions on the matter.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Whaaaaaaa, that is big. Hopefully it will take advantage of cross-platform play.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
nvm: wrong thread

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 12, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

AOY is up on tribble now, sever is down but there is a new loading screen and login background, pretty cool.

Patch Notes

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1215316/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-may-12-2016

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 12, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SKY COQ posted:

Whaaaaaaa, that is big. Hopefully it will take advantage of cross-platform play.

It won't because Neverwinter didn't. Microsoft won't allow it.

Good money earner. Those console players don't have a lot of MMO style stuff to choose from.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Weird, they reverted the tribble download files to Live, the server version is still the expansion though

Edit: Wait its back to expansion 3 again

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DancingShade posted:

It won't because Neverwinter didn't. Microsoft won't allow it.

Microsoft has supposedly changed their tune regarding cross-platform multiplayer, they say that they're willing to do it now. Cross-platform with PC doesn't have to be a Windows 10 app any more and they say that they're willing to do cross-platform with other consoles. Whether or not Sony is willing to play ball is another story.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Veotax posted:

Microsoft has supposedly changed their tune regarding cross-platform multiplayer, they say that they're willing to do it now. Cross-platform with PC doesn't have to be a Windows 10 app any more and they say that they're willing to do cross-platform with other consoles. Whether or not Sony is willing to play ball is another story.

STO is a small enough game to work as a decent test for that. I bet it won't happen.

IQ Fleet are now teasing the T6 Connie, in other news.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

A dev confirmed that console STO is going to work like Neverwinter

SKY COQ posted:

IQ Fleet are now teasing the T6 Connie, in other news.

They said that before the tribble patch, and its based on a rumor.

Looks like there is only 6 TOS missions and then it hits the normal Fed arc.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 13, 2016

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Veotax posted:

I expect Sony is quite willing. They've already got FFXIV doing cross-platform multiplayer. But that game doesn't exist on any Xboxes because, I thought, Microsoft's certification process for updates made it basically impossible to keep things on the same version without some exhorbitant cost.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cutedge posted:

but I'm curious how they are fixing the poo poo UI and dozens of upon dozens of abilities they expect you to click on constantly

Yeah, I literally don't understand how they plan to do this, unless they're going to replace the entire doff powers system with Neverwinter style "you have six powers at a time and that's it, everything else is procs and combos".

Tuskin38 posted:

A dev confirmed that console STO is going to work like Neverwinter

Oh, drat. If they do that on PC the ground game might actually become mildly interesting.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

Yeah, I literally don't understand how they plan to do this, unless they're going to replace the entire doff powers system with Neverwinter style "you have six powers at a time and that's it, everything else is procs and combos".
If you made it so that instead of clickies, all boff powers went off as soon as their cooldown was up, the average pubbie's DPS would go way up while the number of buttons pushed would go down.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Roadie posted:

Oh, drat. If they do that on PC the ground game might actually become mildly interesting.

I would unironically love this. The game has been crying out for some de-cluttering for years.

Even if they do split servers, I hope they'll allow character transfers. If I can take Thrawn over to the Xbone I'll be happy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given the nature of Cbs's objections, I expect a T6 Connie, but only for TOS faction.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
And when the dust settles the game will have a nice shiny new 5 button UI, and they will force even the PC players to use it because simplification is good, right?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
We already have a five button UI; four movement buttons + spacebar.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

Or just spacebar if you have the Anchored trait.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

Did I mention no more spacebar macros, because that would be cheating.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I can't wait to see the clusterfuck that is STO's system on a console.

I'm also curious to look in the bottom desk drawer of the dev's assigned to the project. I can't imagine there's any less than 3 different types of booze there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Did I mention no more spacebar macros, because that would be cheating.

Powers that you literally always want to activate as soon as the cooldown ends and that you literally always want turned on aren't actually powers, they're just manually activated procs.

The ones that actually matter are the ones that you actually have to think about, like Eject Warp Plasma or the orbital strike ground power.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Whooooosh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ps4 and Xbone both have mouse/ keyboard support now, maybe they'll just be saying gently caress it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would not be surprised if the "port" is basically just the same client and a USB mouse/keyboard is mandatory.

Or they could use the controller system from Tera Online where you have like 3-4 toggles to hotswap between all the different keybind layouts for 10 20 30 different powers.

Jeezus I can't see STO working on a controller at all. They're going to have to get keyboards.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 13, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Technical Analysis posted:

I'm also curious to look in the bottom desk drawer of the devs assigned to the project. I can't imagine there's any less than 3 different types of booze there.

You are wrong.

There are two and a half empty bottles, and a revolver.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Because I'm lazy and do the PC on a big screen thing I used macros to play STO on a 360 controller. It worked but was complicated as hell. The back key was essentially a shift key that changed the functions of most buttons. Even then I still would have to reach down and hit a few clicky powers that I assigned to 1-6.

I can kinda almost see it working and honestly I always vastly preferred piloting the ship around on an analog stick over the arrow keys.

One of these I'll log back in, I'm probably full of zen from the ol lifetime stipend.

Edit: after a bit more thought I'll include that my main is an eng, so more powers that I didn't want to hit on cd. When running tac alts the number of keys needed went way down since it was more stuff being hit automatically on cd, science was more of a hassle than the eng due to all the extra stuff.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 13, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Roadie posted:

No, I mean the server separation is like Neverwinter on the XB1.

Oh boy, some neat stuff in the tribble files, for you guys who know how to dig through that stuff, you really should.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

quote:

Our first major task was to convert a PC game that takes nearly an entire keyboard to play into a game that plays well with a 12 button controller. We focused on getting the controls right before we began work in earnest on this project, because we knew the game had to be as tactical, fun, and accessible as the PC game that preceded it. A combination of radial menus and streamlining of some HUD elements created a game that is easily understood, instantly accessible, and incredibly fun to play.
It's right there in the announcement, they're not going to require you to use a keyboard guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Even on Fleet T6 ships there are what, 11 bridge officer skills? Combine that with what, 5 captain skills? I could see a radial menu for skills working. No where near as well as a spacebar macro, but I can see it working. Especially if the option for autofire on the console is there.

Hell, use the triggers and you can have 3 different radial menus, and even if you've only got 8 skills per menu, that's still 24. Not quite the 30 you'd have on the 3 skill bars, but it's doable.

• Locked thread