Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Personally I like FF13's a lot more, but yeah X-2's is a cut above most other FF battle systems. I'd wish forr ff7r to use it again but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they instead tried to make that more like 15's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Compare to FFX, where she cried during their first kiss.

I thought this was partly because of the whole death march thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IIRC Yuna was crying prior to the kiss because she was overwhelmed, not because of it or anything. This was after the whole mock wedding with Seymour and escape from Bevelle when they're now Spira's #1 fugitives? I dunno, it's been like 13 years.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
If i was on a quest that leads to my death and fell in love for the first time, I'd probably start crying too and I'm a tough guy irl

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

Right on all counts, except it also had one of the best stories also.

Everything that didn't deal with the main story was fine.

Doesn't it start out with them looking for Tidus (or should I say, "Him"), and then they just completely forget about him until the final cutscene? They're just like "Oh, wait, this isn't Him. Nvm, guess we'll just save the world I guess also lets sing a concert in the middle of the desert for world peace."

Also the best opening cutscene. A decade later and I still can't get that song out of my head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

tenderjerk posted:

If i was on a quest that leads to my death and fell in love for the first time, I'd probably start crying too and I'm a tough guy irl

I think even then I could hold it together unless my date wanted to watch Rudy, at which point I would start bawling like a little baby.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

alcharagia posted:

i enjoy the fact that ff10-2 requires you to be an obsessive-compulsive lunatic to get the ending that destroys yuna's character development and ruins the plot of the game, because on a certain level it being so obtuse to get is actually fitting. the only change i would make is calling that one the bad ending because it is, it's objectively the wrong ending

The best ending is getting the requirements for the true ending but then turning down the Fayth's offer to bring Tidus back, since Yuna actually explains why she should let go of the past and also Tidus. I mean, nobody bothers doing that since if you're doing a 100% run then why not bring Tidus back, but yeah. That's the best ending. Also, since bringing Tidus back leads into that awful novella as well as that stupid audio drama about Sin coming back, not bringing him back really is the best ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Games that invite the player to become history's greatest monster all for the love of their video game waifu own.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ffx2 is still just the atb system

Is it just because of the job system which has no real difference than paradigms other than visuals

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Doesn't it start out with them looking for Tidus (or should I say, "Him"), and then they just completely forget about him until the final cutscene? They're just like "Oh, wait, this isn't Him. Nvm, guess we'll just save the world I guess also lets sing a concert in the middle of the desert for world peace."
They don't completely forget about him, they spend the first half of the game chasing leads on him, the sphere with shuyin on it is what gets them involved in everything, and they only really drop the search for him when more immediate concerns pop up.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!

Tae posted:

Is it just because of the job system which has no real difference than paradigms other than visuals
atb + dressing up my wives = a stellar game

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Tae posted:

It actually tries to do things with the battles being in pseudo real time rather than it just adding a whole lot of waiting and not much else to the experience.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Child of Light had a good ATB system.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Enjoy missing out on 100 percent completion because you neglected to talk that crouching person in a Moogle suit in the first five minutes.
Or skipped a cutscene. Or didn't wait like five minutes on the not-phone after a conversation was over to see a cat wander into frame.

HGH posted:

And then the Blitzball mine happened.
I don't remember that, can you explain it in detail?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zereth posted:

"That thing looks like a Blitzball. I'm gonna give it a kic-:gibs:"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zereth posted:

Or skipped a cutscene. Or didn't wait like five minutes on the not-phone after a conversation was over to see a cat wander into frame.

They sent out FF fanfic with the HD version of the game. Tidus dies by kicking a Blitzball Mine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The best ending is getting the requirements for the true ending but then turning down the Fayth's offer to bring Tidus back, since Yuna actually explains why she should let go of the past and also Tidus. I mean, nobody bothers doing that since if you're doing a 100% run then why not bring Tidus back, but yeah. That's the best ending. Also, since bringing Tidus back leads into that awful novella as well as that stupid audio drama about Sin coming back, not bringing him back really is the best ending.

Turning down the offer also gives you the world's best line reading of the word "oh" it is perfect mix of confusion and dejection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blitzball Mine was an Inside Job.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kild posted:

They sent out FF fanfic with the HD version of the game. Tidus dies by kicking a Blitzball Mine.

Hahaha what

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Hahaha what

http://www.p4rgaming.com/square-enix-accidentally-publishes-fanfiction-for-the-final-fantasy-x-2-5-novel/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Verranicus posted:

Hahaha what

JRPG gets dumb light novel/radio and CD Drama/stage play that is badly written, melodramtic, and bad. Also water Wet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
p4rgaming is a parody site, the part about it being actual fanfiction is a joke

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

p4rgaming is a parody site, the part about it being actual fanfiction is a joke

I've been rused

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
S-E has also decided the thing isn't canon after the Japanese fan backlash iirc.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
ATB is good, English voice is good, subtitles are good, Tidus blowing up on a blitzbomb was good. Lot of good things on this page.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-2's one great weakness is music. The OST isn't bad - it has a handful of truly amazing songs - but the rest are mediocre to forgettable to downright terrible. I especially dislike the normal battle music and that is never a good thing in a JRPG.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 12, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If I want to try a SaGa game should I start Romancing or Unlimited?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

i'm pretty sure Romancing SaGa is the ps2 saga game people can actually understand

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Romancing, do not loving touch Unlimited unless you have a PhD in loving obscure game mechanicsology.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!

whatever you decide, read about the mechanics. Every saga game has esoteric poo poo like "you killed too many enemies/used a sword too much/let the game clock run too long, now you can't get the best weapon/character"

They're all like this but Unlimited is the worst offender, which is a shame because the soundtrack is incredible, shame they attached it to aspergers : the rpg

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The only tracks I can really remember liking from FFX-2 were the final dungeon and final boss music. They were pretty good. Everything else ranged form forgettable to bad.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I would recommend not playing Unlimited SaGa ever, unless you have the world's biggest boner for complex and heavily obscured mechanics. Minstrel Song > Frontier 1 ~= Romancing 3 SNES > Frontier 2 IMO

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Minstrel Song or Last Remnant

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Frontier. :colbert:

(Romancing is good too though.)

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would recommend not playing Unlimited SaGa ever, unless you have the world's biggest boner for complex and heavily obscured mechanics.

I am now going to go play unlimited saga

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

I am now going to go play unlimited saga

Even if you think you do the game will probably find it lacking.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I am being completely unironic whenI say FFX-2 had the best combat system of all the Final Fantasy games, hands down.

One of the worst stories, mind you.

If they put that combat system into the FF7 remake, I'd buy it, day one, no questions.

x-2's story is better than x's :twisted:

Tae posted:

it's the fastest, smoothest iteration of atb and being able to change jobs in the middle of combat is real cool imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Unlimited Saga the Game will give you an aneurysm. Unlimited Saga the Soundtrack will give you an orgasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2WHAbTlPrY