Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tiberius Christ posted:

did superman smell that piss jar from across the room
bet he thought that was a weird thing to have at a hearing

Nah, just thought his suit was particularly pungent that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

As shown in Man of Steel, Clark blocks out his enhanced senses most of the time by focusing on how his mom smells.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't even understand why they felt it was necessary to make it so that Howard didn't dick over Vanko's dad. I've watched Agent Carter, Howard Stark is a dick. A charming dick, but a dick nonetheless. It'd totally be in his character to do that, and I'm sure they could even find a flippant justification like "Sure, he invented it. But it was safer in the hands of the good ol' US of A!" to solve it.

I'm sad that they replaced Dominic Cooper with John Slattery. Nothing at all against Slattery, but I loved Cooper as Howard Stark. I thought he fit the role very well.

And it was weird that they had Cooper's picture up as Stark in Winter Soldier, since it came out after Iron Man 2.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If he didn't block his senses he'd be assailed by an olfactory tidal wave of piss and poo poo and BO and half digested food and menses and bad breath every time he was within 500 feet of any people, which would be all the time since he now lives in Metropolis. If anyone farts anywhere in the Daily Planet building he'd know it.
Oh and if you thought it was annoying if there was some guy who was breathing through his mouth or was chewing too loud or had his headphones turned up so loud you could hear it then imagine if every human being within sight was constantly making all those noises and more.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I'm sad that they replaced Dominic Cooper with John Slattery. Nothing at all against Slattery, but I loved Cooper as Howard Stark. I thought he fit the role very well.

And it was weird that they had Cooper's picture up as Stark in Winter Soldier, since it came out after Iron Man 2.

He's been old man Stark since IM2.

e: I swear that second line wasn't there when I hit quote, probably wrong though.

I like that JL1 plot synopsis.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 12, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, Slattery and Cooper are playing Howard 20-30 years apart. I don't think ageing-up young, svelte 30 year old Cooper to look in his 50s or 60s would have worked out too well. I think both are great in the role.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, Slattery and Cooper are playing Howard 20-30 years apart. I don't think ageing-up young, svelte 30 year old Cooper to look in his 50s or 60s would have worked out too well. I think both are great in the role.

I dunno, if they can de-age Michael Douglas and Robert Downey Jr. with terrifying verisimilitude, how hard can the opposite be?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
True, but Iron Man II was in 2010, which was Slattery's first appearance. That same year, the Tron Legacy de-ageing was pretty rough and plastic-y. I'd imagine ageing up CGI ala Hayley Atwell in Winter Soldier wasn't all that great either.

But goddamn did Atwell look convincing in Winter Soldier.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hopefully as Shuri

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Did anyone ever respond to the "Good shot from Avengers" challenge?

Yeah, I did and most people agreed the shots were fine.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Harlock posted:

Hopefully as Shuri

Black Panther's love interest probably won't be his sister. This isn't Star Wars.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Black Panther's love interest probably won't be his sister. This isn't Star Wars.
:laffo: I didn't even read the link as love interest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, I did and most people agreed the shots were fine.

Those top two are regular rear end CSI stuff but the bottom 2 are fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, if they can de-age Michael Douglas and Robert Downey Jr. with terrifying verisimilitude, how hard can the opposite be?

Judging by both times they aged Peggy, not particularly well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Judging by both times they aged Peggy, not particularly well.

I thought that looked really good, and I didn't like the Douglas/Downey de-aging as much as many did. I thought they both had a weird disconnect between their cheeks/face and their mouth movements, like it was someone else's mouth.

Here's the writeup of the rather involved way they accomplished it:
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-reaching-new-heights/

e: one of the few genuinely touching scenes in a Marvel movie, IMO.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 12, 2016

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

ITT nerds diss stars looks and express face blindness.

Neanderthals had sloped brows and almost no forehead, doofus

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Shageletic posted:

ITT nerds diss stars looks and express face blindness.

I'm very attractive.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed. I just love Cooper's line "The moment you think you know what's going on in a woman's head is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'm very attractive.

Yeah same

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I know this ain't TVIV, but Agent Carter got cancelled. Dang.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It joins Arrested Development, Community, and many others in the TV retirement home for critical darlings that not enough people watched.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hadn't it been on for like 4 years? That's honestly not a bad run.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hadn't it been on for like 4 years? That's honestly not a bad run.

It got two seasons and ended on a cliffhanger.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya end a show on a cliffhanger that's ur own dang fault.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Do modern ratings systems take streaming services into account? If I watched Agent Carter every week on Hulu the next day did I contribute to it being cancelled?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The Marvel movies remind me a lot of watching a television show like the Flash. Many of the movies (episodes) have entertaining moments, but are pretty weak as a single story. A few of the movies (episodes) are excellent, but you need to have watched the lesser ones to get the full payoff.

For example, I thought Civil War was fantastic, but part of my enjoyment is what it did with elements of Avengers 2, even though I thought that movie was somewhat boring.

Overall, I think Winter Soldier and Civil War are the best movies Marvel has put out, but I've also really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 1 and 3 as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It joins Arrested Development, Community, and many others in the TV retirement home for critical darlings that not enough people watched.

Community lasted a really loving long time and is two hours away from actually getting #6seasonsandamovie .

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hope they at least close it out with a comic book miniseries or something. In Civil War her death really made me want some resolution on her story about getting with her husband.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

computer parts posted:

Community lasted a really loving long time and is two hours away from actually getting #6seasonsandamovie .

Yeah, but it never had great ratings. They tried to cancel it after season 2, but only kept it because they had nothing to replace it with. They semi-cancelled it after season 4 by getting rid of the creator and moving the timeslot, then the final season was an online only Yahoo! streaming exclusive.

It was basically the unwanted foster child of network TV. The show itself was making metajokes about being cancelled in season 3.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I like to think all these shows die young just to keep Venture Bros alive because in the normal world that show would have not lasted as long as it has (which I'm glad we don't live in that world)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

venture brothers stopped being good when season 2 ended

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oddium posted:

venture brothers stopped being good when season 2 ended

Venture brothers is still good but not enough to be worth the 2 year wait between seasons. Also they've apparently decided that season finales are for uncultured swine so they no longer bother to wrap up any storylines by the end of a season which is weird and frustrating.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah, but it never had great ratings. They tried to cancel it after season 2, but only kept it because they had nothing to replace it with. They semi-cancelled it after season 4 by getting rid of the creator and moving the timeslot, then the final season was an online only Yahoo! streaming exclusive.

It was basically the unwanted foster child of network TV. The show itself was making metajokes about being cancelled in season 3.

Arrested Development did it better and had an entire episode devoted to a metajoke about being cancelled.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rurea posted:

Arrested Development did it better and had an entire episode devoted to a metajoke about being cancelled.

I like Community a lot but there is a segment of Community fans* who act like it was the most innovative comedy of the last decade. It wasn't even that special compared to other shows on the same network and night during the era it aired.

*(not saying Leon Trotsky is one of these fans this is just a tangential point about Community fans that I felt I should make in this, the comic book movie thread)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rurea posted:

Narrator: Michael Bluth had just been stunned to discover that a contract his company was counting on was being cut back.

Michael: "You initially told us to design and build 22 homes. Now you're saying 18. That doesn't give us enough capital to complete the job. And we've already got the blueprints drawn up and everything!"

Narrator: Well, that part wasn't true, but they would have.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

feedmyleg posted:

Hope they at least close it out with a comic book miniseries or something. In Civil War her death really made me want some resolution on her story about getting with her husband.

It's probably gone for good. If it wasn't part of the MCU, it may have had the chance of getting picked up by one of the streaming sites. But I don't think Disney is going to want to sell the rights to it at this point and contribute to the over-saturation of comic book poo poo on TV/film.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chairman Capone posted:

Narrator: Michael Bluth had just been stunned to discover that a contract his company was counting on was being cut back.

Michael: "You initially told us to design and build 22 homes. Now you're saying 18. That doesn't give us enough capital to complete the job. And we've already got the blueprints drawn up and everything!"

Narrator: Well, that part wasn't true, but they would have.

Michael: So, what's going on with the fundraiser?
George Sr.: Well, I don't think the Home Builders Organization is gonna be supporting us.
Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it's "Show Time." I think we have to have a show during dinner.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Do modern ratings systems take streaming services into account? If I watched Agent Carter every week on Hulu the next day did I contribute to it being cancelled?

Was it on Hulu? I didn't know that.

It was never available on US Netflix, as far as I know, even though Agents of SHIELD (except the current season) and Netflix exclusive Marvel poo poo is available.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I watch Agent Carter and Agents of Shield on Hulu. And I'm a real fan of those shows, as in I get home from work on those days and look forward to watching them first thing. So I hope people like me are taken into account in some way when shows are cancelled or renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I watch Agent Carter and Agents of Shield on Hulu. And I'm a real fan of those shows, as in I get home from work on those days and look forward to watching them first thing. So I hope people like me are taken into account in some way when shows are cancelled or renewed.

i managed to snag a list of what gets taken into account when cancelling a show:

• is it making money

hmm quick scan but i don't see people like you on there

• Locked thread