Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I like that DS3 had more varied procedural bosses but it's pretty lame that several of them get a full heal during their second phase with essentially no prompt. They should have just combined the health bars in most cases imo and then triggered the transformation at half or whatever.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I was really disappointed in the Kiln not being an actual area. It looks cool but then its just a jog to the boss so it doesn't really matter too much. Exploring a level with really hosed up architecture that's been blended together would be cool. It would also make sense since half the time the world geometry in a Souls game is just another enemy. What do you mean that tiny ledge blocked my roll and got me killed?? :argh:

Are there any good screenshots of the toppled over kingdom in the Kiln? The obvious assumption is that it's Lothric, but I also wondered if it was Lordran.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

homeless poster posted:

it kind of makes sense to me that ocieros has the untended graves attached to the back of his workshop, if you think about the fact that the twin princes are his sons and at least at one point he probably had some kind of plans or schemes set up involving them. clearly the twin princes have already become a lord of cinder, so they're capable of linking the fire, even if they no longer desire to do so; maybe at one point ocieros had a scheme where his sons would become a lord of cinder and he knew about the idea of unkindled ones from all of his magical research, so he purposely built his laboratory on top of the actual graves from which the unkindled would be summoned to prevent them from meddling with whatever he would have planned for his sons to do with their lord of cinder status.

obviously at the point in the world where the player comes in, the twin princes have decided "gently caress that noise" and aren't going along with any more plans from their crazy dragon dad, but I could see that being the basis of why the untended graves are just hanging out behind ocieros' chamber. he would have wanted to be in complete control of any wayward undead heroes that would come wandering out of the untended graves so that they couldn't gently caress with whatever great plans he had for his sons.

Is it explicitly said that Oceiros is the twin princes' dad? I had the impression he was an old wackjob from a few kingships ago that was still locked in his garden. But it's been a while since I combed the item descriptions of the back half of the game.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVVDCOWhpE0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hard counter posted:

I like that DS2 had more varied procedural bosses but it's pretty lame that several of them get a full heal during their second phase with essentially no prompt. They should have just combined the health bars in most cases imo and then triggered the transformation at half or whatever.

Yeah, that's the main thing I didn't like about it, all the other games were 'here's a health bar, when you get to the end of that it's dead' even with bosses with two very distinct phases like Ludwig in BB. Now suddenly you can never be sure whether you've actually killed it the first time you empty its health bar, and every time after that the first phase just feels like busywork so you can practice the second.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 12, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suitaru posted:

Is it explicitly said that Oceiros is the twin princes' dad? I had the impression he was an old wackjob from a few kingships ago that was still locked in his garden. But it's been a while since I combed the item descriptions of the back half of the game.

He's likely their father, given that Lothric was the product of experiments with dragonstuff to try to create the perfect Lord to link the Fire (hence why he is "cursed"). It fits that Oceiros, who turned himself into a pale imitation of a dragon, would be Lothric and Lorian's father.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

He's likely their father, given that Lothric was the product of experiments with dragonstuff to try to create the perfect Lord to link the Fire (hence why he is "cursed"). It fits that Oceiros, who turned himself into a pale imitation of a dragon, would be Lothric and Lorian's father.

Uh, that's what Ocelotte is. Lorian and Lothric are just normal children he had with totally-not-Gwynevere.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Uh, that's what Ocelotte is. Lorian and Lothric are just normal children he had with totally-not-Gwynevere.

You sure about that? I was under the impression Lothric was experimented on, but Oceiros saw him as a failure and then went off to have Ocelotte. Looking at the item descriptions I suppose that's not really stated at all, but maybe that's just how I interpreted that the Lothric bloodline was "obsessed with creating a worthy heir" and willing to resort to horrible things to do it.

Maybe Lothric was experimented on but not with dragon stuff?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Where are you getting Lothric being experimented on

e: post edits :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah, I might've just picked that up third-hand along the way and never actually saw any evidence for it.

Maybe his weird, lanky anatomy is just because his father, Oceiros, was already transforming into the fake dragon he is now.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Not experimentation per se but a lot of the items that talk about their curse make it seem artificial and done for the sake of linking the fire.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I might've just picked that up third-hand along the way and never actually saw any evidence for it.

Maybe his weird, lanky anatomy is just because his father, Oceiros, was already transforming into the fake dragon he is now.

He has lanky anatomy because he's a frail child. Also Gwyndolin asset re-use, probably.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone know the formula that determines how many souls you get from a player kill?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

hard counter posted:

I like that DS3 had more varied procedural bosses but it's pretty lame that several of them get a full heal during their second phase with essentially no prompt. They should have just combined the health bars in most cases imo and then triggered the transformation at half or whatever.

i fell for it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hackan Slash posted:

Is there anything that gets hyperarmor and is buffed by the Leo ring? Maybe some UGS R2's? Bonus points if it's also unparryable.

2h claymore or hollowslayer gs R2s.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

hard counter posted:

When I fought SoC and he got all his health back after I "killed" him I, no joke, said ~dark soulllls~ out loud and then promptly died to that massive combo attack he gets in phase 2.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone know the formula that determines how many souls you get from a player kill?

im 125 and get like 1300?? im too busy emoting to notice. anyway, we need more data

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually beat King of Storms on my first try and felt really good. Then as the cutscene played out I suddenly started thinking "no, they wouldn't make me fight another boss. That would just be silly. You can't just throw two completely diff- GOD DAMMIT :negative:".

I really don't mind the two phase thing if the second fight builds off of the first, but when they are two completely different fights it just feels cheap.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think I'm in love with the Dragonslayer Axe, but I'm also not so great at deciding what to infuse it with. Right now I've got 25/20 str/dex at level 49 and don't really know what to do with it. I intend to go more quality-build in the future, but I've got 15 points in Int for Greater Magic Weapon and other utility-related things. I just don't think I can squeeze 40/40 stats into a level 80 build if I want to keep the utility spells and have 27 Vig and any endurance worth mentioning. Thoughts?

Semi-relatedly, does the Obscuring Ring just give you a permanent Hidden Body effect, or is it a different, unique one?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ice Fist posted:

When I fought SoC and he got all his health back after I "killed" him I, no joke, said ~dark soulllls~ out loud and then promptly died to that massive combo attack he gets in phase 2.

At that point I was completely expecting it so it didn't surprise me. Apparently he can do it more than once though?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Praise the Stealth! \[+]/

Made a lowbie invader equipped with both Obscuring and Slumbering Dragoncrest rings. Invaded in Road of Sacrifices, gank squad waiting near the first bonfire, glaring down the winding path. Didn't see me, parked myself within observation range, thought I'd wait for the other invader that just got announced... then noticed that both whites decided to go and hide while the host remained in his position. Standing near the ledge, making himself visible. Run up > backstab > down he goes > plunge missed but he took fall damage > R1 > Host of Embers Slain!

Got double plunged by the whites seconds later but it was too little, too late. Most satisfying experience thus far in my DS3 playtime.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

The Cinders of a Lord you get from the princes reads:

quote:

The Lothric bloodline was obsessed with creating a worthy heir, and when this proved impossible, resorted to unspeakable means. Suffice it to say, the path to linking the fire is a cursed one indeed.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
nito

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I think I'm in love with the Dragonslayer Axe, but I'm also not so great at deciding what to infuse it with. Right now I've got 25/20 str/dex at level 49 and don't really know what to do with it. I intend to go more quality-build in the future, but I've got 15 points in Int for Greater Magic Weapon and other utility-related things. I just don't think I can squeeze 40/40 stats into a level 80 build if I want to keep the utility spells and have 27 Vig and any endurance worth mentioning. Thoughts?

Semi-relatedly, does the Obscuring Ring just give you a permanent Hidden Body effect, or is it a different, unique one?

The Dragonslayer's Axe should probably be made refined if you're going for a quality build. You could also take advantage of the fact that it has really high native lightning damage and yet can still be buffed and go for a high-Faith build, make it Raw, buff it with Lightning Weapon, and use the Lightning Clutch Ring. It gets crazy AR that way, and the extremely high total lightning damage helps a lot with the split damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Toady posted:

The Cinders of a Lord you get from the princes reads:

"And when this proved impossible" i.e. Lothric being a frail boy. That's why he turned to the scholars of the archives and started doing seath poo poo, producing the abominations you find in Irithyll Dungeon (presumably) and eventually culminating in Ocelotte.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Yeah it's rather blatant and clear that Lothric was born unfit to be a Lord like everyone thought he was going to be therefore leading Oceiros to some gross poo poo.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Was watching Oroboro's stream and he got wrecked trying to parry a farron gsword guy, so he summoned people to help him practice parrying it and on a guy with no lag he got the parry every time.
So if you have a questionable connection use farron gsword :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Was watching Oroboro's stream and he got wrecked trying to parry a farron gsword guy, so he summoned people to help him practice parrying it and on a guy with no lag he got the parry every time.
So if you have a questionable connection use farron gsword :thumbsup:

Is parries being hosed up by lag supposed to be a surprise at this point? Been like that since DS1. One of the reasons I never liked using them in PvP but this game made them too important.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No it was just funny to see.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Genocyber posted:

"And when this proved impossible" i.e. Lothric being a frail boy. That's why he turned to the scholars of the archives and started doing seath poo poo, producing the abominations you find in Irithyll Dungeon (presumably) and eventually culminating in Ocelotte.

Gazaar posted:

Yeah it's rather blatant and clear that Lothric was born unfit to be a Lord like everyone thought he was going to be therefore leading Oceiros to some gross poo poo.

In my opinion, that description is linking those "unspeakable means" to Lothric's curse in its last line. We know the curse refers to more than being born frail because his older brother "embraced" it and became crippled himself.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there a definitive fix to SCPDriver refusing to detect my DS3 once per week? I'm basically having to reinstall it once or twice per week and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I'm wondering if it's just a really shoddy program or something

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Toady posted:

Lothric used to have a gloomy fog, with what became the Pilgrim Butterflies appearing as faint silhouettes above:

It's becoming a proud Souls tradition to show really cool, atmospheric screenshots and videos right up to release, and then set BrightAmbientLightingEverywhere to TRUE right before shipping the product

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Those were leaked ss they never meant to release, from June 2015.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm glad that they didn't try to replicate the BloodBourne aesthetic in DS3, I really didn't like the body horror and the way it was always horrible all the time - there's no moments of beauty in Bloodbourne.

I really feel they missed a beat with the more permanent shrine residents - it would have been nice if they'd had something to say after each boss, or kept you informed of the activities of the more transient visitors. It would be a partial quest log without being blindingly obvious about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I'm glad that they didn't try to replicate the BloodBourne aesthetic in DS3, I really didn't like the body horror and the way it was always horrible all the time - there's no moments of beauty in Bloodbourne.

There are a couple moments of beauty, but much less than in the Dark Souls games for sure. Two I can think of are the garden where you fight the final boss, and the little cutscene at the end of the DLC (which is beautiful in a haunting, tragic way, but still beautiful).

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

No hard data but I wanna say it's in the realm of ~15% of level up cost for dead hostile phantoms if you're the host and ~5% of level up cost if you're a phantom/invader.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angrymog posted:

there's no moments of beauty in Bloodbourne.

What about Rom?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rom's arena for sure, and the transition, and the view of the moon before it.

Rom herself is kinda :3: in a weird way

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would like to thank shortbow pulls and Hunter's charms for my slow, meandering, but eventually successful clearing everything in Irithyll dungeon out except for backtracking I need to meet the requirements for in one go.

Murhphy's law demands that I will die several times when I do go back for a few locked doors later. Much like how the majority of my Sen's fortress deaths were backtracking for items :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been assuming it's 1% of what the next level costs, at least that seemed to match what I got when I was doing a lot of PvP.