Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moreau posted:

How do alliances work these days? I'm playing the Ottomans and I don't think I've had a single alliance partner ever honour the alliance. Is there any point for a human nation to take on alliances? How does the AI alliance system work?

Alliances are extremely valuable even in human games. From what I understand, although I'm no expert:

Allies are much more likely to join in on defensive wars than offensive wars

Allies don't like having to walk a long way, so there's also a distance penalty

Allies are less likely to join in any war if they're already in another war, or if they're in debt, or if their manpower is low

In order to launch an offensive war you'll need at least 10 favors, or you'll need to promise them some land. This only works if they actually want some land from the nation you're declaring against, ie they need to be bordering that nation. You'll definitely need a CB

You can also spend 10 favors to ask an ally to prepare for war, which prevents them from launching their own offensive wars and makes them more likely to join a Call to Arms when you declare war

As Ottomans you can effectively just create lots of vassals (either force-vassalize war targets or vassalize nations freshly-released from war targets). Marches are arguably more valuable than Allies, actually, since they'll always join your wars and they get a fat manpower boost in exchange for a pretty inconsequential amount of income. You can still vassal feed and eventually integrate them when that makes sense (although you have to convert them back to normal vassals first for a stability hit, unless you do Diplomatic Ideas). And marches also get a big boost to Fort Defense, so it's nice if you can declare a March along a rival's border (say Austria or Hungary). Totally worth it for the region near the HRE, where it's going to take awhile to chew through opponents and the opponents are tough so the manpower/fort boost actually makes sense.

e: As Ottomans you should be big and strong enough to not need allies or marches anyway, vassals are still useful for saving on admin points though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

e: As Ottomans you should be big and strong enough to not need allies or marches anyway, vassals are still useful for saving on admin points though

Maybe I'm playing them wrong. I can't defeat 60000 Polish with 90000 Turks, and another 90000 in manpower in the 1560s. It is... frustrating.

I'll look into the favour mechanic. I haven't seen that yet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moreau posted:

Maybe I'm playing them wrong. I can't defeat 60000 Polish with 90000 Turks, and another 90000 in manpower in the 1560s. It is... frustrating.

I'll look into the favour mechanic. I haven't seen that yet.

Are you playing with the Cossacks DLC? That's when the Favors thing actually became mandatory, before then there was a favors number but I don't that it actually did anything

Are you managing army composition and using reinforcements to keep morale topped off during battles? I had your problem when I just ran around with big doom stacks. Try to pay close attention to terrain, too. It's easy to lose a lot of men by just not realizing that you're invading Mountains over a River and taking horrific losses as a result

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Are you playing with the Cossacks DLC? That's when the Favors thing actually became mandatory, before then there was a favors number but I don't that it actually did anything

Are you managing army composition and using reinforcements to keep morale topped off during battles? I had your problem when I just ran around with big doom stacks. Try to pay close attention to terrain, too. It's easy to lose a lot of men by just not realizing that you're invading Mountains over a River and taking horrific losses as a result

Ah, there you go. No - I don't have Cossacks yet. Looks like it unlocks Favours? I may have to pick it up, since I can't see any other way I can beat the Europeans, other than with Alliance partners.

For the moment, I will avoid the Europeans and focus on Egypt. At least there I stand a chance.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
New DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-12th-of-may-2016.929369/

Not that much info, mostly stuff about what needs to be fixed and a screenshot of something we've never seen before (?).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Star posted:

New DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-12th-of-may-2016.929369/

Not that much info, mostly stuff about what needs to be fixed and a screenshot of something we've never seen before (?).

Sounds like they're planning more flavour and unique mechanics for Asia which is cool. Not sure what the screenshot is, a new map mode of some sort?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Glad culture, tech group, and diplo interface are all due for an update of some kind. Several years of planned updates, making 5+ years of EU4???

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That map looks a lot like just Settled vs. Hordes.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Give me China mechanics!

Actually just build EU5 but with China as the starting point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moreau posted:

Ah, there you go. No - I don't have Cossacks yet. Looks like it unlocks Favours? I may have to pick it up, since I can't see any other way I can beat the Europeans, other than with Alliance partners.

For the moment, I will avoid the Europeans and focus on Egypt. At least there I stand a chance.

Swallowing Egypt is a good way to go, there is plenty of valuable territory to the East, too. You could also try breaking into Russia before Russia exists

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

these were incredibly well done and I love them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The changes to espionage are mostly good. I always hated that all the good actions were locked behind a lovely idea group, so this is a huge improvement. But now fabricating claims is even more tedious. I really wish they'd just get rid of non-permanent claims altogether.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

Paradox should buy these off of you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dibujante posted:

Paradox should buy these off of you.

Yeah, if I saw them in game with no context I would assume they're official game art. Really well done!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Talking about EU4 being developed three years from now worries me a bit - I feel like the game is starting to fall apart under the weight of its expansions, and overall I'm just ready for EU5.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Then stop buying DLC. Johan really likes to repeat that "we'll make it as long as you buy it" line even though that's pretty dumb because players don't know when enough is enough. That's what designers are for!

You'd think Johan of all people would appreciate that by now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sindai posted:

Then stop buying DLC. Johan really likes to repeat that "we'll make it as long as you buy it" line even though that's pretty dumb because players don't know when enough is enough. That's what designers are for!

That would be a reasonable comment if their job was to make an immaculate piece of art instead of a product people are meant to buy. "We'll make it if you'll buy it" is a perfectly reasonable ethos for a tradesman making goods for sale.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I haven't bought the last two DLCs yet and the game is still as fun as ever. I'd like the Mare Nostrum naval missions but there's nothing that I feel is actively crippling my gameplay.

I mean I'll probably grab them in a sale at some point but still, if feature bloat has you down you can just roll back to before whatever new feature ruined the game and keep playing completely unmolested.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sindai posted:

I can't stop. I keep falling off the 12-step program.

Help

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
2000 hours, that's when I'll stop... So close...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Sounds like they're planning more flavour and unique mechanics for Asia which is cool. Not sure what the screenshot is, a new map mode of some sort?

Uh oh, looks like eu4 is about to get banned in China

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sokrateez posted:

Uh oh, looks like eu4 is about to get banned in China
I thought it already was since it's possible for Ming to lose battles.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there any way to see what an enemy nations ideas are? I'm trying to determine why my 60000 men just lost to 30000 bastards from Ulm. I would have thought that Ottomans would have had that, even with a military tech differential - I was 18, they were 20.

Bit of a game ender, that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Moreau posted:

Is there any way to see what an enemy nations ideas are? I'm trying to determine why my 60000 men just lost to 30000 bastards from Ulm. I would have thought that Ottomans would have had that, even with a military tech differential - I was 18, they were 20.

In the diplomacy menu, while having selected Ulm, hover over the lightbulb.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Star posted:

I know a lot of people in here are clamoring for EU5, but I think it's kind of refreshing to not have a publisher push a new version every couple of years. I realize the DLC has changed the game drastically, but it's been easier to manage as a gradual change.

The last thing I want is Madden's World Conquest Simulator 2016, 2017, 2018, &c.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

I know a lot of people in here are clamoring for EU5, but I think it's kind of refreshing to not have a publisher push a new version every couple of years. I realize the DLC has changed the game drastically, but it's been easier to manage as a gradual change.

The last thing I want is Madden's World Conquest Simulator 2016, 2017, 2018, &c.

I think the thinking is that if they still have several years' ideas for more content, they might end up with a better game several years down the road if they were to do some serious thinking and soul-searching and decide how best to integrate all of EU4's current mechanics and all of the mechanics they still want to add, and then build a new game based on that model rather than trying to work more and more and more and more and more things into the current EU4 engine.

But that being said, they're a profit-making company and it seems like the DLC model is a way more profitable one, so yeah.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Moreau posted:

If you lost that badly as the Ottomans there must have been other contributing factors - did you have a general? Did you cross a river? Were you attacking into mountains? Had you just fought a battle? Were you at full army maintenance?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Military Tech 19 is when you unlock Gustavian Infantry/Highlander Infantry/Reformed Tercio and 20 is when you unlock Swivel Cannons so their Infantry and Artillery probably hit a lot harder than yours too, especially since there's also a +.25 bonus to military tactics and +.5 to infantry fire at 19 and 20, respectively.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, with those tech levels, Ulm's infantry will have 15 total pips while you only have 12. That's kind of a big deal. Anatolian units lag behind western ones even when you have tech parity, except for MIL 9 and 12-13.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Has anybody else had trouble with the Paradox store recently? I'm trying to take advantage of the current sale and am getting weird error messages about credit card payments that I haven't got before.

Also, that DD is really reassuring to me. Loosening up the tech and fleshing out ROTW is exactly what the game needs.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Which DLC does support independence? There is a paradox sale and I want to add some more if they are worth it.

Still deciding on Cossacks because realism is less fun than making other countries do the work for me.

Edit: Figured it out. Seems lovely having to pay 5 bucks for one feature I want but whatever.

Payment refused? Guess I can't get poo poo on sale.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 14, 2016

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Probably my most successful game to date. :feelsgood:

I was still on 1.15, so unfortunately I couldn't go for the Mare Nostrum achievement. But I got Basileus, 1M manpower (without quantity!), and the one where you have to own English Channel, Genoa, and Venice.

Once I lucked into a PU with Germany-sized Brandenburg (by a female-leader event) it was pretty easy. Although I was already the #1 power at that point.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Some nutcase made a mod that (a) reduces the map to just the HRE+Naples+Prussia, but (b) gives it all 367 states it had historically.

Here's an album of screenshots from the mod.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dang if it means I can play with a proper HRE without my computer melting then I'm all for it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Oh dear lord, the HRE screen has to be a loving nightmare

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man Whore posted:

The name of the mod is Voltaire's Nightmare. I can't think of anything more appropriate.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Man Whore posted:

(Looks like the Imperial Authority numbers could use a bit more fine-tuning. Or maybe not, because hitting the "vassalize all the HRE members" button would probably break everything.)

Ready! Set! Blow! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 15, 2016

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

This is amazing and now I want to give China the same treatment. I started on it but then stopped when I took on a second job.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This is going to be the first mod I ever download! It looks really amazing! Do I need to do anything special to load a mod, besides downloading it off of Steam?

Also, does this mod have anything in it to act as "influence", for lack of a better word, from the outside world? With no France to worry about I would imagine that would make Burgandy a lot more potent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Some of those are so small it's like a half province minor

Also that is super wicked cool

• Locked thread