Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
My friend code for TT is 106W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What was that is storm good again?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

i like tacos posted:

Help me fail my stats class.

What's a good game I can half pay attention to like a cookie clicker game, game dev tycoon, bejeweled, or tiny tower that doesn't start making you wait 8 hours because I'm out of class by then.
I'm okay with paying a few Google reward bux.

Bloons TD5 only needs your attention for a few seconds at a time. If you buy Humble Mobile Bundles you might even already have it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yo stats-failer goon

i would suggest pocket trains or maybe a clicky builder game like hay day. a lot of those clicky builder games do have long timers, but a lot of them also have lots of little sub-activities that you can micromanage in order to min/max your earnings and progress

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've been recently playing HuntCook and I'm already at the third part of the game.

This game has been floating around a few places, getting a review here and there , so here's my personal overview of the game:

HuntCook is an humorous and cute hunting and cooking game. Your character is an androgynous cook named Kid Chef that talks mostly thru emoticons and are guided by a shiba inu named The Boss, whose dialogue resembles a bit like the Softbank Dog. You begin a small restaurant devoted entirely to game and fish, where the supplies are gathered thru a random chance of either getting prey to hunt or one of the two npcs. If you get the prey, you can either get a portion of it by hitting Quick or you can play a quick obstacle course to get a hunting bonus. Not getting the animal isn't necessarily bad, as you can either get a farmer that will give you a lot of a certain ingredient or a Not-An-Yakuza-Enforcer that will quiz you in exchange for a recipe. Recharging can be a matter of waiting an hour, watching an advert or drinking a red cow for a hunting point.

Every stage is noted by a specific challenge on which you have to prepare a main course for a character in exchange for a lot of money and xp and a recipe, and as time goes, the recipes get more and more elaborate and more expensive to make. There's 4 areas for each special kind of food preparation with 2 cooking discs each, which you can easily increase with a steady income of gems gotten thru adverts and challenges and tweeting screenshots, so the IAP and recharging policy is rather nice and you don't have to pay a cent to play this. In a few days of regular play you can afford to increase the cooking areas.

The game progress can meet a few walls here and there, the most notorious one being one involving a 28 cheevo block involving a certain recipe that is literally just "put a few smoked meats together on a plate". As the game goes, you'll start getting so much ingredients that its advisable to start cooking non-requested stuff so that you can have it at hand at least ingredient wise (Sushi rice, butter, cheese, bouillon, tofu, miso and cider come to mind). A trapping mechanism also shows up, allowing you to set a trap to hunt a particular animal 4 times a day, on set times. There is also a mild befriending mechanism that allows to get satchels of ingredients, but I never used that. Boss can also rather ingredients while you idle, with this mini skill getting upgraded as you do hunter trials later on in the game.

In a week or two of play, I'm reaching what appears to be the overseas part of the game, which seems to have cooking stadium trials but I can't attest to it so far. (Can't even find screenshots or people talking about it). It's a nice and calm game that you can easily progress thru.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yo stats-failer goon

i would suggest pocket trains or maybe a clicky builder game like hay day. a lot of those clicky builder games do have long timers, but a lot of them also have lots of little sub-activities that you can micromanage in order to min/max your earnings and progress

(Weird that my review isn't showing up. Maybe it'll pop up on this second post?)

HuntCook is excellent for that.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 12, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

(Double post, for some reason the first post wasn't showing up)

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Huh, more TT. I wonder if I can bring my 4 years ago save back...11XH

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tinyn posted:

Huh, more TT. I wonder if I can bring my 4 years ago save back...11XH

Not on Android, we couldn't salvage it from the Mobage scrap heap.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

How about from an iPhone 3gs that might be around somewhere

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tinyn posted:

How about from an iPhone 3gs that might be around somewhere

Hmm, if you played TT on the iPhone and signed into Game Center, then ran the new update when it comes out on an iOS device while signed into the same Game Center account it would load on the iOS device. Then you could register for Cloud sync in the game and in theory your Android version of the game would ask if you want to switch to the game it found on the server.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm 121R, added the rest of y'all. I missed having a game like this surprisingly

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm 107S will try to add everyone.

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
I'm 1229 for nimble bit's new crack dispenser. Just because this killed my life five years ago doesn't mean...

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!
I'm in as 125D. I'm looking forward to revisiting this.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Hey nimblebits: I keep getting missions to "find a person because they have a package" or stuff like that. Sometimes that person is the doorman. I can't tap on him because it just opens up lobby options.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

bunky posted:

Hey nimblebits: I keep getting missions to "find a person because they have a package" or stuff like that. Sometimes that person is the doorman. I can't tap on him because it just opens up lobby options.

I think you might be mistaking the doorman as being the source of the mission? Next time this happens if you could take a screenshot so we could confirm that would be awesome.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

I think you might be mistaking the doorman as being the source of the mission? Next time this happens if you could take a screenshot so we could confirm that would be awesome.

He's the only one dressed as a snowman, but I could be loving up. I'll be on the lookout for it again.
E: I'm dumb. Disregard.

bunky fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 13, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

no idea what I can even do on this friends menu, but uh, add 11WP i guess

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The international version of Squeenix's new mobile JRPG Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is out in soft launch in "select regions" (Sweden probably).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Never mind, I figured it out, apparently I can pay 5 Bux to send my Bitizen to someone else if their dream job matches.

I guess you're supposed to arrange a trade outside of the game or something cause that just meant I spent 5 Bux and lost my dude

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

Hmm, if you played TT on the iPhone and signed into Game Center, then ran the new update when it comes out on an iOS device while signed into the same Game Center account it would load on the iOS device.

Can't install ios 7 on a 3gs. 149 floors all locked on an island.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

mrkillboy posted:

The international version of Squeenix's new mobile JRPG Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is out in soft launch in "select regions" (Sweden probably).

You can get around the soft launch by grabbing the apk elsewhere, I haven't played brave frontier but this is apparently by the same guys and almost seems like a FF reskin.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I keep getting notifications for things in my game while I'm IN the game. Getting a bunch of floors ready to be restocked all at once and my phone goes crazy (vibrations), I back out only to see it's from the game.

Kinda annoying, I want notifications while I'm not in the game... but seems pointless while I'm in it. Bug or intentional?

Droid turbo, Android 5.1

Edit: talking about tiny tower

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Obese Janissary posted:

I keep getting notifications for things in my game while I'm IN the game. Getting a bunch of floors ready to be restocked all at once and my phone goes crazy (vibrations), I back out only to see it's from the game.

Kinda annoying, I want notifications while I'm not in the game... but seems pointless while I'm in it. Bug or intentional?

Droid turbo, Android 5.1

Edit: talking about tiny tower

It's a bug. Make sure the app is up to date, we pushed out a build this afternoon that should fix it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Gimme your best lighterweight phone or tablet game that doesn't require a data connection and doesn't drain a ton of battery because I'm going on a trip for a week with inconsistent-to-no-internet and wouldn't mind something to mess around with on a device if I end up getting rained out and have to keep myself entertained inside.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

flatluigi posted:

Gimme your best lighterweight phone or tablet game that doesn't require a data connection and doesn't drain a ton of battery because I'm going on a trip for a week with inconsistent-to-no-internet and wouldn't mind something to mess around with on a device if I end up getting rained out and have to keep myself entertained inside.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pascalcula.threequal
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jennitron.cryptogram

There's a free version of the cryptogram one on Amazon Underground if you want to test whether that works without network access. I find it extremely hard to find games that don't eat battery, it seems whatever libraries and such everyone has been using just destroy battery even on pretty static screens. The older the game the more likely it'll be lightweight but Google Play search results bury the oldest games the most.

There was one other old game I liked that was a version of rummy tiles but it was really only good if you played online and eventually they stopped updating it anyway :(

Sadly it would probably be easier to just get FBreader and put some ebooks on there instead of games, at least reading uses minimal battery.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I went searching for "low battery usage games" or something like that and found a few more, here are some that looked interesting but I haven't tried yet

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pb.skipoidhd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.erifdex.switchtile
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=c3d.recombustorlite2

Probably the key is to look for download sizes about 5MB or less since the battery hogging ads and graphics will absolutely not fit in that small a space. Still there were more obviously not low battery results in the search than games that are lightweight

It's frustrating cause even stuff that looks like it should be lightweight eats battery. Infinity Loop is super simple looking but it's over 10mb and still eats a significant amount, though not super fast. Sage Solitaire is a really simple game and I enjoyed it but it's eaten way more battery than I expected and takes up over 13mb.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 13, 2016

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

marshmonkey posted:

It's a bug. Make sure the app is up to date, we pushed out a build this afternoon that should fix it.

The app updated and I'm not having the issue anymore. Thanks.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
bout to try the humble bundle for android this month. How is rebuild 3, and this war of mine on phones?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Philosopher King posted:

bout to try the humble bundle for android this month. How is rebuild 3, and this war of mine on phones?

I think This War of Mine plays really great on a touchscreen, though I think the GUI they use on phone screens is a bit too big and cluttered for my taste (it looks fine on a tablet though).

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Tiny tower id 12D2

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This War Of Mine is one of the best games I've ever played on Steam, but I don't know about it on mobile. Seems like there would be a lot of little things on the screen unless they scaled things up a bit.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

marshmonkey posted:

Yea, I guess we hit the 1,000 tester limit already. Going to see about raising it so more people can get in.

*edit* removed the limit, should start working again soon.

Signed up for the testing program, but when I click the link to download on GPlay store it says "Item not found".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Philosopher King posted:

Rebuild 3 is good! I'm usually not a fan of touch for most games, but I think it actually works better than it does with a mouse. It's basically about slowly reclaiming a city, block by block, while improving your survivors, recruiting new ones, and keeping your supplies where they need to be.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Hoplite - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magmafortress.hoplite&hl=en
Pixel Dungeon and derivatives
Pixel Blacksmith - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.jakelee.blacksmith&hl=en
LYNE - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thomasbowker.lynerelease&hl=en
PUK - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laserdog.puk&hl=en
Space Trader - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brucelet.spacetrader&hl=en
Trainyard - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.trainyard&hl=en
(Trainyard Express is the free version) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.trainyardexpress&hl=en

Szara
Sep 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm looking for a game that's like Summoners War or Heroes of Dragon Age but without the stamina/energy limitattions. I like assembling a team of characters and having turn based combat. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer if it have 3d graphics. I don't mind if it's a paid premium game, in fact, I would prefer that to the usual freemium microtransactions.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

ryan_woody posted:

Signed up for the testing program, but when I click the link to download on GPlay store it says "Item not found".

Is this still happening? Some people report checking back later and it working. You can also search the store manually for Tiny Tower.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Drakes posted:

You can get around the soft launch by grabbing the apk elsewhere, I haven't played brave frontier but this is apparently by the same guys and almost seems like a FF reskin.

You just had to go and say this, didn't you? v:v:v

The first dungeon is the Earth Shrine, and a warning that they Earth Crystal is gonna blow up. Since this is Squeenix, that means a Job System. Between this, and Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ, it's goodbye, free time! :wave:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Szara posted:

I'm looking for a game that's like Summoners War or Heroes of Dragon Age but without the stamina/energy limitattions. I like assembling a team of characters and having turn based combat. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer if it have 3d graphics. I don't mind if it's a paid premium game, in fact, I would prefer that to the usual freemium microtransactions.

There is always knights of the old Republic. It $10 or get it with amazon underground for free but some ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szara
Sep 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Shwqa posted:

There is always knights of the old Republic. It $10 or get it with amazon underground for free but some ads.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not really into the Sci fi theme. At the moment, I don't have access to fast Internet, and from what I've briefly read, KOTOR takes a while to download.

I just really wish I could find a good medieval/fantasy game that I could play to my heart's content without having to shell out money every 15 minutes to recharge the energy bar or whatever.