Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Brigdh posted:

I think you would be surprised. Murthy Renduchintala has a well deserved reputation of actually acting like this (and typically without much warning, unlike Linus) and yet he seems to be making it just fine at Intel. Its not entirely uncommon in a lot of the tech industry.

That's depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dealing with more bullshit today in regards to my dad's house and dad.

Took the day off work to help an army veteran's op shop take away furniture from dad's house, only to find out the person who booked the pick up today forgot to add the booking to their schedule, and they could not do the pick up today.

Then I got a pile of paperwork from the conveyancer, one of them requested that since dad's name was on the title of the property, the state government demands that I get dad to sign a form that confirms that he is one of the title owners on the property. And get his photo taken. A man who is mentally incompetent and doesn't know I have sold the property.

And one of the requirements is that he has to have current photo id, which he doesn't because his driver's licence has been cancelled. Thankfully I can (and did) get a letter from his doctor to confirm dad is who he is, and also signed a copy of dad's birth certificate (thankfully found that in a huge pile of paperwork).

But still need to drag dad to a post office to get photographed as well as trick him into signing the paperwork. I don't feel good about that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kimbo305 posted:

Imagine if instead of Peak Oil, it was Peak Water. The US Southwest would be fuuuuucked.
The book Water Knife goes into some cool what ifs about that scenario, where the concept of water passing through different territories leads to a ton of weird law and loopholes, including one state bombing another's dam because its water needs outweighed the political consequences. Pretty good near future dystopia, decent action.

We're aaaaactually kinda getting there. Thanks to the way the water rights for the Colorado are constructed, the landowners get their cut off the top, not proportionally based on river flow, and we've had a few years of dry winters.

Raluek posted:

Last time I was in Portland it was still pretty cheap. Can you not get studios for under a grand anymore?

This is why the Microsoft guys I know out here are happy as pigs in poo poo. $90k in a place where the average house is $150k is the tits, and you can afford to -fly- to the coasts every couple weekends if you feel like it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 13, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Less distance, similar elevation. The burrito and beer were wonderful afterward. Here's a picture

I uhhhh...... went a tiny bit further and climbed a weeeeeee bit more

https://www.strava.com/activities/574478037

I dont know what I was thinking when I threw in the third and fourth gorge climb when I was "only" at 1400m vert and 105kms.

(155km, 2,477m vert. Holy gently caress are my legs gonna feel that one tomorrow)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I don't think I've seen anyone point this out yet, but it's been floating around for a bit: http://www.lebanonford.com/forms/727hp-mustang

Even though it's a Mustang, that's a LOT of car with 3/36 warranty for $40k.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sorry you have to go through all that, I recently had to deal with a similar situation with my grandma. But holy wow, if he's incompetent, about half of the stuff you're doing is very very illegal here at least, and I can't see Australian law being much different.

Process we went through, roughly, was:
1: Grandma has a stroke
2: Doctors say she's incompetent, testify as such (via affidavit)
3: Goes through the courts, all concerned parties (next of kin - us grandkids) can object, ask for second medical opinion etc, which we didn't, we were all in agreement
4: Someone, ideally not a beneficiary of her will but this can be waived, is appointed power of attorney over her estate. (Here at least, power of attorney applies to the financial side, there can be a separate person appointed with responsibility for her medical care)
5: The person with power of attorney can then legally sell the assets.

I assume you're at the point where he's not legally declared incompetent and is not going to be and you're kind of skirting around all that. Just make sure your own rear end is covered too, it could come back and bite you.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Deeters posted:

Web designer goons: I have some internal websites at my job that I'd like to improve beyond a bunch of tables and links saved in Word. Are there any web based html editors you can suggest? I'd prefer something that I can mostly click and drag stuff around.

Try Macaw. Not free, but the code that it'll spit out is pretty good—probably one of the best markup generation engines out there, tbh.

ETA: Oh, hey, it is free now!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Dealing with more bullshit today in regards to my dad's house and dad.

Took the day off work to help an army veteran's op shop take away furniture from dad's house, only to find out the person who booked the pick up today forgot to add the booking to their schedule, and they could not do the pick up today.

Then I got a pile of paperwork from the conveyancer, one of them requested that since dad's name was on the title of the property, the state government demands that I get dad to sign a form that confirms that he is one of the title owners on the property. And get his photo taken. A man who is mentally incompetent and doesn't know I have sold the property.

And one of the requirements is that he has to have current photo id, which he doesn't because his driver's licence has been cancelled. Thankfully I can (and did) get a letter from his doctor to confirm dad is who he is, and also signed a copy of dad's birth certificate (thankfully found that in a huge pile of paperwork).

But still need to drag dad to a post office to get photographed as well as trick him into signing the paperwork. I don't feel good about that.

Do you have power of attourney? Can you get a judgement that he is unfit to conduct his own affairs? Honestly think that's more the road you need to be going down.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

I'm getting really sick of my stupid E46 breaking every 4 months. I'm becoming convinced that it's cursed. I'm starting to look down the road toward other vehicles. The wife and I are planning *ahem* on children sooner than later.

Get a Lexus, the chances of it breaking are slim to none. We got one recently and it's heavenly.

Also (your own) kids are awesome, don't listen to the haters :)

You Am I posted:

That sucks dude, but sometimes it's necessary. My wife has had to "trick" her mother into some things for her own good because if she didn't her mother would obsess over it and freak out. It's to the point where she's going to have to make every financial decision for her mother because she's incapable and very susceptible to being scammed out of every last dime. Power of attorney is right around the corner :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 13, 2016

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Tusen Takk posted:

That's depressing

It is, although I tend to get more depressed with the level of code quality in commercial products. I'm currently dealing with a well known and arguably top of their industry manufacturer of PCIe compliant cards who are telling me that I need to purchase different models of a specific card depending on what architecture the machine is running that the card will be used in (ie x86, arm, mips, powerpc, etc). Otherwise their drivers won't work. Why? Well the driver installer reads a burned in identifier in the card (only difference between the models) to determine which architecture the driver is running on, and thus will load the corresponding firmware. Install a "x86" card (not marked on the card itself in any way) in a powerpc system? The drivers will load x86 firmware into the card, which will "brick" the card, making it unusable in the powerpc system, and cause the system to crash at boot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I got asked to clarify an order I wrote down for a "medium black coffee", I think there may be a bit of a cultural divide between myself and a co-workers.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

We're aaaaactually kinda getting there. Thanks to the way the water rights for the Colorado are constructed, the landowners get their cut off the top, not proportionally based on river flow, and we've had a few years of dry winters.

Prior appropriation water law is some hosed up poo poo. That's what happens when you get oligarchs building states in resource heavy areas with limited populations.

Riparian water law is better in every way but you know, gently caress you got mine and all that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I got asked to clarify an order I wrote down for a "medium black coffee", I think there may be a bit of a cultural divide between myself and a co-workers.

"No sugar? No cream? No caramel? No stevia, steamed milk, cocoa powder, whipped cream? Freak."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Found out yesterday that if you just order a "regular coffee" at Tim Hortons it means double double.

No wonder this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I glanced at the sheet where I had it written down and medium was crossed out and grande written over top. I really can't describe how I felt when I saw that other than empty.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Found out yesterday that if you just order a "regular coffee" at Tim Hortons it means double double.

I drank instant coffee for three years, Tim Horton's is the only coffee I can't drink black.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nothin' wrong with a double double.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyodor posted:

Well, looks like I'm getting a burger for lunch. Not In-N-Out, because there aren't any in New Mexico, but I'll find something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I drank instant coffee for three years, Tim Horton's is the only coffee I can't drink black.

When I was in high school, I fell in with a snake-charming cult. The preacher constantly impressed upon us that pain was the only way to salvation in Christ's eyes and the more miserable the experience the better.

We used to get big-rear end Timmies runs.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fyodor posted:

Double loving bypass

drat that looks good

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fyodor posted:

I'm only seeing one double. 2x2=4. False advertising.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

scuz posted:

Hey guys, Danzig and Only buried the hatchet to sell more Misfits t-shirts or something, isn't that a thing? I don't know how I feel about this thing yet, but it sure is a thing!

I dunno, but gently caress if I'm not gonna try to go see them at Riot Fest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

88h88 posted:

I'm only seeing one double. 2x2=4. False advertising.

Double meat, double cheese, get with the nomenclature.

And now I really want one. Animal Style, of course. Non-grilled-onions are scrub tier In-N-Out.

leica posted:

Also (your own) kids are awesome, don't listen to the haters :)

Truth. Also, having kids gives you an excuse to buy poo poo like this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fyodor posted:

Ughhh wish they would expand the chain up the west coast :argh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

clutchpuck posted:

1998 Ford F-150: where is the CD changer?

I didn't think there was one, but I pressed CD on the dash unit and music started playing. There are like 3-4 CDs in it and I found a disc caddy on the floor but I cannot find the changer unit.

Are they good CDs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wonder if anyone ever orders a double single or single double.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Does anyone have experience with vinyl plank flooring? I'm going to replace the carpet in my office and bedroom with *something* and although I'd love to put in hardwood, it's just too spendy. I'm looking at LVP since it doesn't have the "your floor is ruined if water sits on it too long" issue and I'm thinking about getting a dog at some point in the future. It's also a decent price (like $2-2.50/sq. ft.). I've just never used it before.

Edit:

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder if anyone ever orders a double single or single double.

Is it meat x cheese or cheese x meat? I could see ordering double meat x single cheese.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 13, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, cheese doesn't count, it's like suggesting double bbq sauce is a thing which makes a burger more than what it is initially. Go hard or go home. Double double should be 4x the beef. :colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah it is number of meats x number of cheeses. 2x1 is definitely something that gets ordered. I get 3x3s occasionally but don't think I've ever gone 4x4. And you can order basically as many as you want and could end up with something like this:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

With a suitable Envoy XL replacement going to be difficult to find... what do I need to know about GMC Acadia / Buick Envlaves in the '07-09 range? Are they a viable option? My wife didn't want the Envoy because it was too big for her comfort. She got used to it, but I don't want to go full-size GM SUV, just too big... but third-row seating is a must.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm actually now impressed at how this loving "lean management" revamp of my position has turned into a deleted scene from office space. I've gone from being pissed off to just laughing at how ridiculous this has become.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

With a suitable Envoy XL replacement going to be difficult to find... what do I need to know about GMC Acadia / Buick Envlaves in the '07-09 range? Are they a viable option? My wife didn't want the Envoy because it was too big for her comfort. She got used to it, but I don't want to go full-size GM SUV, just too big... but third-row seating is a must.

The XL GMT360 filled a weird niche, that's for sure. It ended up long as gently caress, but still considerably narrower (and cheaper to run) than a Suburban or any other three-row body-on-frame SUV at the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The XL GMT360 filled a weird niche, that's for sure. It ended up long as gently caress, but still considerably narrower (and cheaper to run) than a Suburban or any other three-row body-on-frame SUV at the time.

A weird niche that could be perfect for me... how is it in terms of reliability / maintenance? Anything to avoid? Tell me it's not bad like that AWD Buick Rendezvous, that thing was a servicing nightmare with the way it was packaged.

What about same-year (07-09) Dodge Durango / Chrysler Aspen... I'm not as familiar with working on Dodge vehicles... should I avoid or investigate?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Holy crap. A friend of mines wife just got a new 16' Outback last week. Wednesday her steering started to "free-wheel" on the highway. Waiting to hear what happened- all I know is the dealer has the car and is replacing the column.

https://consumerist.com/2016/05/13/subaru-recalls-52k-legacy-outback-vehicles-tells-owners-not-to-drive-them/

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Regular here (and how it should be) is a one and one.
That being said, I'm a 2-cream kind of fella. gently caress sugar.
And I drink McD's coffee, because Tim's taste like its brewed in satan's rear end in a top hat with used gear oil.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Siochain posted:

And I drink McD's coffee, because Tim's taste like its brewed in satan's rear end in a top hat with used gear oil.

I'm sorry..but every time someone mentions Tim's.. this is all I can picture. Let's be honest, this is how you drink your coffee anyways...

Canadian's and their coffee

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Siochain posted:

New Pepsi challenge. Tim's coffee black versus burnt ATF.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

A weird niche that could be perfect for me... how is it in terms of reliability / maintenance? Anything to avoid? Tell me it's not bad like that AWD Buick Rendezvous, that thing was a servicing nightmare with the way it was packaged.

What about same-year (07-09) Dodge Durango / Chrysler Aspen... I'm not as familiar with working on Dodge vehicles... should I avoid or investigate?

I meant your now-totaled truck, I've got zero knowledge of the GM crossovers after the Trailblazer.

I think the later Durango is based on the WK Grand Cherokee platform, isn't it?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

New Pepsi challenge. Tim's coffee black versus burnt ATF.

Okay, lets try something people might be able to tell the difference between.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Brigdh posted:

It is, although I tend to get more depressed with the level of code quality in commercial products. I'm currently dealing with a well known and arguably top of their industry manufacturer of PCIe compliant cards who are telling me that I need to purchase different models of a specific card depending on what architecture the machine is running that the card will be used in (ie x86, arm, mips, powerpc, etc). Otherwise their drivers won't work. Why? Well the driver installer reads a burned in identifier in the card (only difference between the models) to determine which architecture the driver is running on, and thus will load the corresponding firmware. Install a "x86" card (not marked on the card itself in any way) in a powerpc system? The drivers will load x86 firmware into the card, which will "brick" the card, making it unusable in the powerpc system, and cause the system to crash at boot.

BIOS extension ROMs have always and will always be a thorn in the side of cross platform support. This is honestly not that big a deal except for the fact that apparently powerpc systems don't use a different "magic number" and checksum to identify the extension ROM as valid, which would have been an easy enough solution. I'm kinda surprised they didn't.

It SHOULD be possible to jam the card in an x86 box and reflash it to powerpc firmware.

The annoying thing is, the way PCs handle BIOS extension ROMs was created in the early 1980s for the IBM PC and apparently really hasn't changed. A ROM image looks like this:
0x55
0xAA
<number indicating the number of 512-byte blocks of machine code which this ROM takes up, minimum 4>
<executable code, which is called by the BIOS>
And then a checksum. The checksum? It's literally "whatever number is required to make all the bytes in the rom add up to 0, modula 256".

The system is supposed to ignore any extension ROM that doesn't start with the right magic number or doesn't checksum properly.

If PowerPC based systems had just used a different magic value (even just 0xAA 0x55) they wouldn't blindly execute x86 code and crash. It's pretty stupid that they did that, but not entirely surprising. Really, this is a hard problem (since many interesting devices that might need custom configuration at boot to work properly aren't something you'd expect, so you HAVE to support some sort of extension ROM, and the simplest answer is usually machine code) - Sun solved it by putting a Forth interpreter in their sbus systems and BIOS extensions were written in Forth, I believe, but that's out of the ordinary. The easy answer is a 2 or 4 byte magic number at the start of the ROM and if it's not valid, you ignore the ROM at boot and let the user install the right drivers and flash the proper firmware image after starting up sans the funky device.

e: back in college I used this info for pranks. I got ahold of an old 3com PCI ethernet card with the familiar netboot ROM socket (yes, that's just a socket for an eprom/eeprom with the right number of pins, and the host CPU will run the code off of it if you put the right magic number and checksum in!) and hacked up a couple hundred bytes of quick and dirty fake virus, burned it to an old 27Cxxx EPROM I had lying around, and snuck it all into a friend's desktop. He was nowhere near as amused as me when his PC showed every sign of having a horrible boot sector virus of some sort and wouldn't respond properly at all or even boot.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
New Roadkill up at MotorTrendOnDemand. Much better, and it's all Mazdarati.

• Locked thread