Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

lol it figures all the naysayers in this thread would be completely wrong. This game is so loving good it hurts.

To be honest, the naysayers probably only saw the Console stuff, which is... eh. Nvidia did a better tech demo etc. As for me, I'll certainly be grabbing the PC version after I get my check and a stick of RAM. I was gonna wait until I get a 970 but people say "it's fine with a 750Ti" so... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

reading these posts is going to be so cringe inducing about a month from now

haha yeah dude liking stuff is so cringe

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Bardeh posted:

haha yeah dude liking stuff is so cringe

so defensive........

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've been staring at those abs since I was seven years old.
New thread title ?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
If I want a face paced, arena-ish shooter with a emphasis on speed and poo poo loads of gore, is this the game for me? The original demos didn't excite me, but the recent ones are intriguing.

If so, where is a cheap place to get a steam key post-release?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

polygon put up the first 30 minutes and they had their 9 year old nephew play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8
kid does pretty ok

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Game's above average, better than I was expecting. Could stand to be a little more colourful and a bit faster. Also this shotgun has to be one of the worst I've seen in a while.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Couple of gigs left to go on my download! I'd say I'm getting pretty psyched, but they already released that game a few years back...

Meanwhile, here's a brief look at the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-f0ypVbPA

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

polygon put up the first 30 minutes and they had their 9 year old nephew play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8
kid does pretty ok

oh my god i saw 5 minutes (skipped story/dialogue poo poo only watched combat) and i'm pretty sure a blind person could have better accuracy. that was painful to watch.

Do they... Do they even know what a game is? What a controller is? They have the "move around" idea right and sure seem to understand what the trigger button does but move AND aim? What sorcery is that?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Funny how console footage of multiplat games can make them look so bad, doesn't help that most pre release footage we get is played by the worst players i've ever seen that somehow also review the games.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

princecoo posted:

oh my god i saw 5 minutes (skipped story/dialogue poo poo only watched combat) and i'm pretty sure a blind person could have better accuracy. that was painful to watch.

Do they... Do they even know what a game is? What a controller is? They have the "move around" idea right and sure seem to understand what the trigger button does but move AND aim? What sorcery is that?

They disabled comments.

I don't know if this says more about Doom 4 or Polygon

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

To those interested in trying to extract the music from the game (because its so loving GOOD!!!)

I used Ravioli Game Tools to extract the .wwise_a files, and then a tool called wwise_ima_adpcm (it's the sound converter one)

Open ravioli, point it at the streamed_sfx.pck in your /DOOM/base/sound/soundbanks/pc/ folder and have it output wherever

Copy wwise_ima_adpcm.exe to the output folder (mine was called sfx)

Throw this garbage script into a dicks.bat file, and save it in the new sfx folder that ravioli made, then run it and wait
code:
for %%f in (*.wwise_a) do wwise_ima_adpcm -d %%f %%f.wav && DEL &&f
pause
Eventually it will finish, sort the folder by file size, all the biggest ones are your dope OST files!

:siren: This will consume no less than 9.5GB of additional disk space in .wav format

I can't tell if there are a ton of duplicates for a reason, or the extraction is loving up somehow. If you know, pls tell me!

A few actual songs I've found so far, by filesize in KB:
23,528 generic metal
20,932 this has some of the NiN-ish rhythm guitar
18,801 very concussive and bad rear end
18,336 credits / ending?
17,842 epic orchestral music from hell
15,970 also extremely concussive
etc

Hopefully posting instructions like this is kosher :ssh:

I wish more Metal bands were like Mick Gordon :allears:

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 13, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Well I just spent a couple of hours or so with the game. Hoooly poo poo, one of the best shooters in years. id absolutely nailed the gameplay. The combat is perfection. The map exploration does actually feel like Doom should in 2016. There's a lot of exploration and little nooks and crannies to search. Even for how hyped this game has been, people will be surprised.

Really surprised me just how great the game is, I have to say. The PC performance is really good, solid 1080p60+ on all high pre-set settings on an old 2500k at 4.3ghz and GTX 970. Never dropped in about three hours or so. I've been in rooms with 15+ demons and explosions everywhere and it keeps up without a sweat.

The UAC portrayed in this game is quite hilarious in a dry kind of way. The Doom comic was referenced in the very first line of the game and the humour has been carried forward. This game is glorious fan service.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 13, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Was having a lot of fun until I got to level 4 then I get single digit fps that persists no matter the settings I am using even if I load another level and won't go away unless I reload the game.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I was moving through pretty quickly until I hit mission 4.

I spent 3 hours looking for the last secret. I combed all over the map before I finally found it.

It's at least good to see wandering empty levels for secrets the first time through has come back. I'm having a lot of fun with the game at least, movement is super fluid

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Use the automap, especially if you found the automap station, it will highlight and show every item and secret. White items on the automap = you haven't found it yet, orange = you discovered it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nvidia drivers optimized for Doom, released today but not on their official download page yet;

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...eased-5-12-16-/

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This game is loving excellent. Best FPS in a great many years, possibly except for Wolf. They loving nailed this game. Maybe the id software old guard had to leave? I don't know. This is old school id in a way they haven't been since Quake. This is loving great.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao the way they've connected doom 1, 2, 3 and 4 storywise is how i had it down in a dumb fanfiction way and i love it.

after everyone leaves earth in doom 2 and doomguy stays in hell where he spends forever drowning in .wads, history repeats and cycles again and doom 3 happens, all the little story details about the old ancients who had to leave their planet after a hell invaded and then you find the stone tablet of the loving lone hero who fought off the hordes being doomguy in that doom1 cover pose and them with doom 4 it seems like it's set way after doom 3 and they were digging up all the old ancient tombs and they find the doomguy tomb thing and the lore tab says they got all it from the loving stone tablet in doom 3. i love how dumb this is.

I read all of that and I don't know anything about this stone tablet stuff. Do I need to play Doom 3 to understand the deep rich lore of doom?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Pathos posted:

This game is loving excellent. Best FPS in a great many years, possibly except for Wolf. They loving nailed this game. Maybe the id software old guard had to leave? I don't know. This is old school id in a way they haven't been since Quake. This is loving great.

Yeah totally. This is going to be a GOTY contender.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Superanos posted:

I read all of that and I don't know anything about this stone tablet stuff. Do I need to play Doom 3 to understand the deep rich lore of doom?
Warning: Incredibly Deep, Rich Lore Ahead: There's a crumbling stone tablet near where you get the Soulcube in Doom 3 that has a carving of the Doom 1 box art on it, but with the Soulcube instead of the Shotgun.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Doomguy stays in hell after Doom 64 not Doom 2 I think

Edit: Is there a picture of that tablet floating around? I missed it.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 13, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

How do you do death from above glory Kills (On PC) I've trued jumping down and hitting F on Glowing orange guys

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god it's so gloriously dumb and fast and bloody. I love it.

Also, I like collecting random doomguy action figures and poo poo. What is wrong with me?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

How do you do death from above glory Kills (On PC) I've trued jumping down and hitting F on Glowing orange guys

I think you have to be at a certain angle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Really?

Stormgale posted:

You have to be right above them. Jumping and pressing F won't work. You have to double jump (spoilers) + F.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is awesome, get like 100 FPS with a 980ti on Ultra all settings maxed

only concern is that the shotgun is kinda lame

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Really?

You have to be right above them. Jumping and pressing F won't work. You have to double jump (spoilers) + F.

YOU CAN DOUBLE JUMP

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

They disabled comments.

I don't know if this says more about Doom 4 or Polygon

The buffoon who runs The Verge (Polygon's sister site) disabled comments all summer long because people mercilessly ribbed him for wearing a studded hot topic bracelet with a suit and Apple Watch in his review of the watch.

Vox site writers have the thinnest skin to ever be produced.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Stormgale posted:

YOU CAN DOUBLE JUMP

You didn't know that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stormgale posted:

YOU CAN DOUBLE JUMP

You will eventually find double jump boots. You can't double jump from the start.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

b-but I haven't even cleared the Undead Settlement yet I can't very well go and purchase another great full-price game on release...

Why oh why couldn't this have been poo poo like everyone said it would be :negative:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

You will eventually find double jump boots. You can't double jump from the start.

Oh, i've just got this challenge on level 3 to get death from above kills and even when it looks like it's a death from above type kill (drop on guy, head stomp) it isn't counting

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

gross

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Stormgale posted:

You dont have to double jump just hit melee at the apex of your normal jump and you should get it. Make sure youre not behind them, youll snap their neck or pull their jaw off instead and it wont count as a stomp.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I have a few hours until I'm off my 12 hr night shift. Going to binge on doom when I get home. How's the LMG?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Someone went through and pulled out a good portion of the choice bits from the music, https://soundcloud.com/user-908799112

I really hope we get an OST with longer versions of everything, I'm certainly not going to stitch all these together

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Roki B posted:

I have a few hours until I'm off my 12 hr night shift. Going to binge on doom when I get home. How's the LMG?

Fun as hell. It's got a satisfying rat-a-tat feel, and the secondary fire modes are pretty great. I'm partial to the missile launcher on it. You can use the secondary fire modes very often on each gun.

Weapon balance feels good. I've used every weapon roughly equally so far, even the standard shotgun. The secondary fire modes (there are two for each and you can cycle through them with one button push) means every gun has their uses. Some guys may prefer the rapid fire mode on the standard shotgun over the super shotgun for instance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Weapon balance feels good. I've used every weapon roughly equally so far, even the standard shotgun. The secondary fire modes (there are two for each and you can cycle through them with one button push) means every gun has their uses. Some guys may prefer the rapid fire mode on the standard shotgun over the super shotgun for instance.

In fact, you can do a lot of "combos" by switching guns.
For example when taking down Barons of Hell from a long range you can do Rocket Launcher lock-on secondary, which will briefly stun him and give you enough time to switch to the Railgun and do a Siege Mode charge shot.

Also some guns have great secondary modes but mediocre primary modes so switching weapons all the time is really good.
I have even bound all the guns to my extra mouse buttons for easy access mid-fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone tried to run this game on a stock 750, not a Ti? Though tbh I'll probably wait until I upgrade, though that won't be at least until the 1070 is out.