Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

i managed to snag a list of what gets taken into account when cancelling a show:

• is it making money

hmm quick scan but i don't see people like you on there

I apologize for my ignorance, that's why I'm asking.

Hulu runs ads during the show, do the networks see any of that money based on viewership? If so, I would then be contributing to the show making money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me to hear that network TV is behind the times in properly monetizing shows and is only taking into account ad revenue from the initial airing. But Hulu shows commercials, there is also a subscription service that gets rid of ads and opens up more content and they are presumably licensing these shows from the networks as well as reporting analytics for what shows are being watched under which experiences. It should certainly be taken into account but who knows if it actually is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me to hear that network TV is behind the times in properly monetizing shows and is only taking into account ad revenue from the initial airing. But Hulu shows commercials, there is also a subscription service that gets rid of ads and opens up more content and they are presumably licensing these shows from the networks as well as reporting analytics for what shows are being watched under which experiences. It should certainly be taken into account but who knows if it actually is.
Network execs are morons whose only thought is bigger Nielsen number = better

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

Network execs are morons whose only thought is bigger Nielsen number = better

A buddy of mine knows someone who's tangentially involved with the TV business here in Australia and apparently the Nielsen people he knows are completely mystified as to why Netflix only cares about subscriber numbers and aren't interested in the slightest in publishing their viewership data.

Of course that's not stopping Nielsen from trying to figure out other ways to track Netlfix's viewership numbers:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenkilloran/2015/08/28/nielsen-has-begun-tracking-netflix-hulu-and-amazon-shows-for-studios/#53c112022431
http://www.forbes.com/sites/howardhomonoff/2016/01/22/nielsen-netflix-and-nbc-where-is-media-measurement-going/#48cf5a5e7c6e

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 13, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Michael B Jordan joins Ryan Coogler a third time as he's cast in Black Panther

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:allears: This movie is gonna be so goddamn good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hey Fox if you're reading this please cast me as Human Torch in your next Fantastic Four movie so that I can be in the MCU.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Since Marvel and Coogler are drafting all the Black Actors for this movie, can I reccomend Nia Long, Wesley Snipes and Clifton Powell

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Dexo posted:

Since Marvel and Coogler are drafting all the Black Actors for this movie, can I reccomend Nia Long, Wesley Snipes and Clifton Powell

They should get Die Antwoord too, they are from Africa right?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Rurea posted:

They should get Die Antwoord too, they are from Africa right?

They're the wrong kind of Africans

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Related

Deadline's reporting Gareth Edwards has dropped from the Godzilla sequel

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maybe then can replace him with Gareth Evans and no one will notice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe then can replace him with Gareth Evans and no one will notice.

Probably not as both directors have identifiable styles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Warner Brothers has a generally good track record of getting the right kind of directors on board, so I'm not worried.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Will Godzilla be appearing in this Godzilla sequel?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe then can replace him with Gareth EvansReynolds and no one will notice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Will Godzilla be appearing in this Godzilla sequel?

He was in the first one so I'd assume so

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'd actually rank Iron Man 2 as the second-best Marvel film. In retrospect, its utter shameless idiocy gives it an ersatz Michael Bay quality.

Like, any film that can make it to the bottom of multiple lists that praise Avengers 1 must be doing something right. The race car scene is, at least, the only great superhero fight in the entire MCU.

Is it because a guy who is the son of someone exploited by howard stark and was living in poverty attacks tony while he is indulging himself in Monte Carlo (a country almost exclusively for the extremely rich)?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Looks like he wants to work on his own project which I have to respect. Who the hell do you replace him with? At least Godzilla 2 is far away and this isn't a last second thing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Looks like he wants to work on his own project which I have to respect. Who the hell do you replace him with? At least Godzilla 2 is far away and this isn't a last second thing.

said it twice in greenlit thread and saying again: Tom Green, writer and director of Monsters: Dark Continent.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Roland Emmerich will be free once ID4-2 comes out.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

K. Waste posted:

said it twice in greenlit thread and saying again: Tom Green, writer and director of Monsters: Dark Continent.

I thought I was the only one that liked that movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yaws posted:

I thought I was the only one that liked that movie

You're not alone.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIRtFE6aIc

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electromax posted:

Godzilla: Atonement

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope the next movie focuses on the Godzilla registration act. All Godzilla and zilla-esque figures must sign a UN peacekeeping treaty and reveal their real names.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Electromax posted:

How does independence Day become ID4? I just cannot see the connection here.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How does independence Day become ID4? I just cannot see the connection here.

4th of July

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Na'at posted:

They're the wrong kind of Africans

drat it, if they hadn't already cast Ulysses Klaw, Ninja would have actually been really fun as him though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Guy A. Person posted:

Online numbers are taken into account when deciding whether to renew or cancel a television show but they aren't weighted as heavily as actual television viewers because A) while online services can and do play ads, they generally aren't as expensive or lucrative as television advertisements and B) except for Netflix, which is a direct competitor to the major networks and gets to basically tell them to gently caress off when it comes to reporting numbers, few other subscription services produce numbers of viewers worth pursuing: there are 116 million TV watching households in America, 42 million Netflix subscriptions, and 9 million Hulu subscriptions. Networks weight their ratings reports accordingly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So ID4 is independence day 4th? Where's the July?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

July 4 is America's Independence Day. That's where the 4 came from. That's about as complicated as that name got.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I would like to once again register my disappointment that the Independence Day sequel isn't called Veterans Day.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, but it never had great ratings. They tried to cancel it after season 2, but only kept it because they had nothing to replace it with. They semi-cancelled it after season 4 by getting rid of the creator and moving the timeslot, then the final season was an online only Yahoo! streaming exclusive.

It was basically the unwanted foster child of network TV. The show itself was making metajokes about being cancelled in season 3.

30 Rock was making all those jokes too. Better even.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"ID4" was the brand logo they marketed the original movie with. Google suggests this was born from a preproduction license dispute with the name "Independence Day" alone when WB was unsure if they could use that title, and the abbreviation stuck once it got resolved.

Lump it in with GCN being shorthand for a Nintendo GameCube.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

said it twice in greenlit thread and saying again: Tom Green, writer and director of Freddy Got Fingered.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
consarn it, not that tom green gagagagagaga

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally watched Fantastic Four last night. I didn't even think it was a matter of the second half becoming an entirely different movie as it was that they got tired of making it halfway through and shut things down, decided the bare minimum they would need to put out a comprehensible movie, and then used reshoots, editing and dubbed voices to cover things up. The biggest issue is that the pacing in the first Act seemed like they were setting up for a much longer movie, then the end of Act 2 (Doom short circuiting the teams powers and defeating them) just immediately transitioned into Act 3: "this movie needs to end in 5 minutes so the F4 wins".

The body horror stuff was all really good and I actually didn't mind this interpretation of Doom, especially with him horrifically murdering people with unknowable cosmic powers. The idea of the F4 project being government funded and getting taken over and twisted was a decent angle too but went away since, again, the entire 3rd act was like a 10 minute race to the credits. Honestly the skeleton of a decent to good movie was there and there is some really brilliant stuff peaking through, but whatever happened behind the scenes clearly made everyone loving give up at some point. Even the special effects are all over the map, with some extremely lazy CGI for the Thing during his demo reel for the military.

It sucks because it seemed like there was a lot of potential in this interpretation and now the well is so poisoned that Fox is either going to wait until the rights are about the be up in another decade or whatever or else try to put out the safest thing they can. There was already news yesterday that a producer wants to make a "brighter" sequel with the same cast, which just seems to be taking the wrong lesson from the failure.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

yeah FF really was trying to be a gritty scifi movie and a fun comic book movie but couldn't figure how to mix the two

i wish it just stuck with the tone of the first half and had more of doom creeping on sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Guy A. Person posted:

There was already news yesterday that a producer wants to make a "brighter" sequel with the same cast, which just seems to be taking the wrong lesson from the failure.

He's taken the critic's advice of "more fun".

• Locked thread