Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Deified Data posted:

I'm partially colorblind so I'm always hesitant to criticize things over color choices, but is it just me or is impossible to make blonde hair in DS3? Like human-blonde as opposed to green or neon-yellow?

Not only is it impossible, how they did hair is one of the few things they changed from DS1 such that you cannot hack the color to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can finally make black people without Rudolph-esque noses or bile-green highlights (I made what I would consider a pretty convincing Rihanna), but you can't have blond hair without looking like the Joker after a few shampoos. The pendulum swings.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Crystal Hail got buffed and is solid for PVP, bad for PVE still since the damage isn't great and it's move about controlling your enemy's movement.

But the rapier is also pretty bad. An estoc infused with crystal will be stronger and won't require scales. Only use the rapier is you just really like it. Still useful to get for farming for its item find bonus.

What the hell is this bullshit about them removing anything.

Apparently this is unused audio from the game files; I'm guessing (and quite glad) From decided against turning Oceiros from the Consumed King into the Consuming one :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vCZdcp6hE

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o6x238fkNn1qcbnq0.mp4#_=_
e: I've no idea how to make a video smaller, woops. :psyduck:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I don't get it :confused:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

Apparently this is unused audio from the game files; I'm guessing (and quite glad) From decided against turning Oceiros from the Consumed King into the Consuming one :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vCZdcp6hE

Lol, that is hilarious. A shame they didn't include that.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Alabaster White posted:

I don't get it :confused:
Attempted to hide via chameleon - "oh poo poo, the invader is right there. gently caress."

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

Lol, that is hilarious. A shame they didn't include that.

:same: though it did produce a Reddit thread full of people freaking out hilariously over a bad sound effect played over baby noises.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I thought crystal rapier was supposed to be the best sorcerer weapon in the game because its the only int scaling weapon there is?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't get what the gently caress happened between Dark Souls 2 and 3, because 2 had a character creator where you could at least make human-looking people easily. 3's is a trainwreck filled with potato-faced people.
Ain't that the truth. The faces were actually different and it was possible to make good-looking people. Now the best I can do is "somewhat less messed up than a carnival freak."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ocelotte was actually a tomato.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Youre gonna be a hollowed shirveled turd anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

I thought crystal rapier was supposed to be the best sorcerer weapon in the game because its the only int scaling weapon there is?

idk where you got the idea that it was the only weapon that scaled with int, because it definitely is not. there's a few other weapons (moonlight greatsword for example) that have innate int scaling plus crystal infusion

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deified Data posted:

Watching Northernlion's LP and learned that the pillars in Aldrich's room seem to protect you from arrows. At least the first phase.

They absolutely do not in the second phase, and you should be using his arrow aiming time in phase one to get up his butt for 10 million free hits anyway god bless

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

heysel pick is a fun int-scaling weapon to use if you don't mind investing the stats for it. It helped carry me through the catacombs with my pyromancer before I switched to the golden ritual spear (which is faith-based though)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Deified Data posted:

Neither is good but rapier comes with item find, and you don't even need the stats to wield it to take advantage of its effect.

You do need the stats, I checked the character profile with lower dex and didn't get the item find boost, added carthus milkring and got it since I hit 18 dex

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Anyone have a chart on how powerful each spell is?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So my Pyro build is rushing through the early parts heading for Smouldering Lake, just beat up the Abyss Watchers - they took me 2 tries vs 3 hours my first run, and the first try was mostly due to my Uchigatana having absolutely crap range. So many missed attacks leaving me open because I was sure they were in range, ugh. I'm not a big fan of this thing at all, I refuse to use a straight sword though. Anyone got a suggestion for a fun/not useless weapon I can use for a while, ideally one that doesn't need to be Chaos'd to be good for this build (i.e. Raw or straight out of the box)? Something fairly quick ideally, I have my pyro spells for power-hits and range after all. I'm at 12Str/16Dex but not averse to dropping a couple extra points in those stats either.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

turtlecrunch posted:

There is a checker especially for DS3 now that takes into account the capitalization issue, though Smalldick should have been Small****

https://omgftw.github.io/DarkSouls3CensorCheck/

goddammit, my favorite char's name is but hole surfer and now I find out the but is censored

edit: Taint Motel is starred out too :smith:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

Hey the game kinda lies by giving very few weapons Int/Faith scaling innately, and several of those being really poo poo (I believe that rapier is one, another is the Bident which has just the WORST damage no matter your build and infusion), but it will give a lot of weapons A/S scaling with Int/Faith if you infuse them with Crystal or Lightning. Here's a list of all of them I think. Try going to Andre and seeing how one of those look when you check Crystal infusions!

E: Like in my 50 Faith build the Astora Greatsword at +10 regular was doing ~300 damage and +10 Lightning was doing 150 physical and >400 Lightning damage, for example.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dlc area: The Consumed King's Northern Memories, featuring the creation of ocelotte

e: Now entering... Building

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Ocelotte was actually a tomato.
I sure do love tomatoes.
Especially... baby tomatoes.

turtlecrunch posted:

They absolutely do not in the second phase, and you should be using his arrow aiming time in phase one to get up his butt for 10 million free hits anyway god bless
Ok, so what exactly is happening here and here? It can't just be dumb luck can it?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

homeless poster posted:

of all of those things, the spirit amethyst that apparently seeks out the host of a world in pvp is the only thing i'd really like them to have kept and implemented. it sucks invading a huge zone like cotd or road of sacrifice and having no idea where the poo poo the host is hiding if they choose not to show themselves.

I am deeply upset that we don't have this. It would be so incredibly useful.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Not only is it impossible, how they did hair is one of the few things they changed from DS1 such that you cannot hack the color to fix it.

it's an important part of the design vision, drat you!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HGH posted:

I sure do love tomatoes.

a baby tomato ocelotte and a daddy tomato oceiros were walking along the street

baby starts to slow down

daddy goes back and squishes him and says, "ketchup you're dragon"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

HGH posted:

Ok, so what exactly is happening here and here? It can't just be dumb luck can it?

First one he is getting hit with his shield up.
Second one the full column helps more but he still gets hit because it can pass over the top of it.
e: I attempted to hide behind the pillars on my first Aldrich phase two and got evaporated.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 14, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

HGH posted:

I sure do love tomatoes.

My dear, little Ocelotte.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Okay, so while UGS, Curved Greats, and Great Hammers just don't click with me, I finally hit 24 STR for fun and started swinging around a Great Machete one handed.

gently caress yeah, great axes.

Great axes are still fast enough for my liking even though I hate not having a horizontal swing, and you know it's good when you take out two Silver Knights at once with a +0 weapon (if with a lot of panic and close calls).

Of course, my all over the goddamned place build still has nothing I want to actually LOWER right now, so I guess I'll save wholesale Stamina ramping for Axe O'Clock for potential replays. I just love my swiss army casual right now, and if I don't want to blaze well past 80 (or even 90), I'll just need to be more thrifty with my swings when I'm using it instead of a normal Greatsword (I still like being able to take multiple swings, AND block way too much right now).

Since I love throwing on buffs (as much because they look cool), I guess that means Great Machete and Great Axe would by my favorites, despite all the insane stuff going on with the Yhorm's and BK Greataxe.

PS: Burn in loving hell, Aldritch. Carthus Flame Arc was just for the principle of the matter to make it hurt more, with my low as hell INT/Faith.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
moonlight greatsword is a pretty tits sorcerer wep too.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So..I can name myself "rancid muppet" but not Hodrick

thanks from soft

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
**ly K***ht **drick

I think that name might have been perfectly designed to be butchered by the word filter.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

BillmasterCozb posted:

So..I can name myself "rancid muppet" but not Hodrick

thanks from soft

Capitalized naughty words are ok, so Hodrick checks out. hodrick would not, though.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
One of my characters on PS4 is "moonlight butt" and my brother summoned me and said he could read the whole name.

We had a password on, does that turn off the name filter? I'm just upset about this whole situation.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

**ly K***ht **drick

I think that name might have been perfectly designed to be butchered by the word filter.

a name befitting a madman

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Section Z posted:

Okay, so while UGS, Curved Greats, and Great Hammers just don't click with me, I finally hit 24 STR for fun and started swinging around a Great Machete one handed.

gently caress yeah, great axes.

Great axes are still fast enough for my liking even though I hate not having a horizontal swing, and you know it's good when you take out two Silver Knights at once with a +0 weapon (if with a lot of panic and close calls).

Of course, my all over the goddamned place build still has nothing I want to actually LOWER right now, so I guess I'll save wholesale Stamina ramping for Axe O'Clock for potential replays. I just love my swiss army casual right now, and if I don't want to blaze well past 80 (or even 90), I'll just need to be more thrifty with my swings when I'm using it instead of a normal Greatsword (I still like being able to take multiple swings, AND block way too much right now).

Since I love throwing on buffs (as much because they look cool), I guess that means Great Machete and Great Axe would by my favorites, despite all the insane stuff going on with the Yhorm's and BK Greataxe.

PS: Burn in loving hell, Aldritch. Carthus Flame Arc was just for the principle of the matter to make it hurt more, with my low as hell INT/Faith.

get the black knight great axe, it has a horizontal swing and hits like a truck. slow as balls tho

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Filthy Hans posted:

You do need the stats, I checked the character profile with lower dex and didn't get the item find boost, added carthus milkring and got it since I hit 18 dex

Huh, nevermind then. I assumed it's be like the scholar's candlestick.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

get the black knight great axe, it has a horizontal swing and hits like a truck. slow as balls tho

Yeah, it's that "Slow as balls" that gets my poo poo completely wrecked :downs: Even without my personal leanings towards Normal Titanite/Buffable weapons.

BK Axe is loving amazing from everything I see about it, though. Much like how the Lothric Greatsword is pretty sweet, but I'm absolute garbage with it. I can accept the problem is me, not the weapon.

It's not like they are that much slower than the Flamberge I've been primarily using on this leisurely first run, but I guess just something about them isn't clicking with me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I did well today. Still going through slowly, just reached Farron Keep but I've been doing a lot of exploring too. Found a bunch of pals to join the Firelink Clubhouse. Killed the Crystal Sage, that was an interesting fight. Helped someone else with it soon after, and that is a fight that just falls apart in co-op. Still plugging away with the Fire Longsword I started with, but I've got a whole pile of greatswords to try out now. Think I'm around 10 hours or so. Oh, I set the church on fire for no good reason but the occupant didn't seem to mind.

Oh, and I had the thing that tends to crop up at least once playing these games. "Is that a horrible monster making that noise, or is it a dog snoring?" (It was a dog)

Also found the trader bird, gave her some random stuff, got the Hello Carving and Solaire's top which were both nice, but is there a trade list that's not too spoilery for other things? Also I did the required "press circle to die" while looking for things to trade.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

McDragon posted:

Well I did well today. Still going through slowly, just reached Farron Keep but I've been doing a lot of exploring too. Found a bunch of pals to join the Firelink Clubhouse. Killed the Crystal Sage, that was an interesting fight. Helped someone else with it soon after, and that is a fight that just falls apart in co-op. Still plugging away with the Fire Longsword I started with, but I've got a whole pile of greatswords to try out now. Think I'm around 10 hours or so. Oh, I set the church on fire for no good reason but the occupant didn't seem to mind.

Oh, and I had the thing that tends to crop up at least once playing these games. "Is that a horrible monster making that noise, or is it a dog snoring?" (It was a dog)

Also found the trader bird, gave her some random stuff, got the Hello Carving and Solaire's top which were both nice, but is there a trade list that's not too spoilery for other things? Also I did the required "press circle to die" while looking for things to trade.

If it helps, you can trade on the rooftop outside. I'm assuming you tried to trade on the rafters.

For me, I have a few "oops, B killed me" with binoculars :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

McDragon posted:

The trade list doesnt have any spoilers. You can trade some unique gear for stuff the game drops like crazy. I wouldn't but you could.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 14, 2016