Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Koramei posted:

same, goddamn, I don't understand the appeal of day/night cycles in these kinds of games at all

The technical aspects to variable lighting on the models that they are using. It's purely for the bling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

YeOldeButchere posted:

Night time shouldn't really matter anyway once you reach the modern age, though. You can light things up once you research the Fission technology.
Only your enemies cities though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's been a thing in every mod for a strategy game as long as it's been available, even going back to Age of Mythology in 2002. There was no bling to be had back then.

I guess I don't mind day/night cycles on a long timer, like half an hour or some poo poo, but the 3-5 minutes every strategy game seems to do is just distracting as all hell. I guess a lot of people must like it though since it keeps coming back.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Cities at night are really pretty :shobon:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

thrawn527 posted:

This seems silly, considering it's not like it'll be tied to days, but will change from day to night back to day over the course of, what, 500 years or something?

"Really strange weather we're having this millennium."

This isn't a complaint, mind you. Just that the night-day cycle in a game like this seems rather silly.

This is a chaotic era :v:

Civilization VI: Trade dye for salt

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Thread's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775912

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Civilization VI: Trade dye for salt

This is gold

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The city bit sounds like it can be interesting, but at the same time I've always found cities were far too large in Civ games, and making them grow over more tiles isn't going to help in that respect.

I'd like to go the other way around and have a city be just one tile; you want another tile you build another city. Would be kinda like provinces in a Paradox game I guess. Speaking of which, the attrition mechanism is a good answer to the issue of the DoomStack.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

German Joey posted:

Oh right on, I remember you, you were one of the guys who did that goofy Barry Lyndon thing in PB18!

And, heh, you misunderstand. Mack didn't pair up with me, he subbed in for me (he owed me one cause I subbed in for him in a game last year) after I ragequit after Haram (the other frontrunner) ragequit when I started going total war psychogamer on him for what he considered a minor snipe that was some payback for some earlier aggression I pulled on him. I felt like, what's the point of spending an hour or more every drat day on this game if I'm not still playing against the same guy I've had such an intense match with so far?

But yeah, Mack's awesome, his ability to read into the metagame and figure out what his opponents will do months before they actually do it borders on the otherworldly. It's some real Hunter x Hunter poo poo, where he blindsides you by countering your counter that you prepared to fake counter his fake counter to your feint...

Apologies for that gimmick, our group decided on a name long after I had personally settled on the gimmick I was going to run. And that gimmick (ponies) was intended to piss off Bob. And I also apologise for the fact that a half dozen people playing a single civ in 10 turn intervals with no communication should have been predicted to result in a quick death, destabilising the world.

I've been on RB a long time, I still remember when Mackoti first showed up, and no one expected much from him, but then he started winning consistently across all different games. I do wish I could read my opponents as well as Mack always can.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
after a while you're just like "gently caress it, i raise. call my bluff"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cities at night are really pretty :shobon:

Especially the burning ones of your enemies. :hist101:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

after a while you're just like "gently caress it, i raise. call my bluff"

after a while you're just like "Hitler hitler, hitler hitler. Hitler hitler hitler"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

Especially the burning ones of your enemies. :hist101:
There's a reason why Askia has, possibly, the best leader background.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

after a while you're just like "Hitler hitler, hitler hitler. Hitler hitler hitler"

Is it just me or is he channeling :saddowns: there?

As for being all hitler... One time I did play as Germany (normal vanilla version) and started right next to the loving city shitter Hiawatha. I of course acted quickly to contain the outbreak and die Wehrmacht stomped all over his cities, razed them thoroughly before thrashing his capital and putting the diarrhea leader himself in a camp wrapped up in blankets. gently caress that guy. :argh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

To be fair that sounds like the real Bismarck too.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is Hitler actually in any of the Civ games?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Nope, for obvious reasons.

Doesn't stop people from requesting him for every game and modding him in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

Is Hitler actually in any of the Civ games?

No, because they want to be able to sell their games to Germany. But he always gets modded in.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Civilization 4 had both Stalin and Mao in it. :shepface:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's bad enough that any mention of Germany gets "HITLER LOL" responses, better to not have him be the face for the entire German Civilization.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Because Russia and China don't infamously ban all references to their monstrous previous rulers.

...though I guess it'd be kind of weird to have, say, Pol Pot in the game, wouldn't it?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Poil posted:

Probably because those countries don't have censorship boards that object to the existence of those leaders and their effect on the civilization in question. Germany really doesn't like to be reminded about 1939 to 1944.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Byzantine posted:

It's bad enough that any mention of Germany gets "HITLER LOL" responses, better to not have him be the face for the entire German Civilization.

The day Germany unclenches and stops being touchy as poo poo about stuff their grandparents did, we'll stop enjoying teasing them so much.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...though I guess it'd be kind of weird to have, say, Pol Pot in the game, wouldn't it?

Well yeah it's just too much of a disadvantage when your UA prevents you from building libraries and universities

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hitler is useful for Five Hitlers Mode

The only acceptable death match

Given how lacking and weak willed the AI can be it's at least nice to have a sore loser who always goes down swinging

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Poil posted:

That's legacy; Civ 4 was effectively a throwback to Civ 1 and 2 after the complaints of Civ 3. Those two were in Civ 1.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Bloodly posted:

That's legacy; Civ 4 was effectively a throwback to Civ 1 and 2 after the complaints of Civ 3. Those two were in Civ 1.

Also neither of those leaders have been denounced (and made illegal) by the present governments of their countries

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

berryjon posted:

Probably because those countries don't have censorship boards that object to the existence of those leaders and their effect on the civilization in question. Germany really doesn't like to be reminded about 1939 to 1944.

Bullshit. We just don't want any of that poo poo coming back, thank you very much.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah saying they don't want to be reminded isn't fair. I may not agree with the method but the idea is that if you trivialize Hitler or the nazis you are not teaching future generations the gravity of what happened. Germany will talk about the nazis all the time it just has to be in an educational context.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone have any WWII scenarios/mods they can recommend for this? I remember playing a really good one for IV years back and kinda wanted to find another to play in V.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I've updated the GoonPack with the 4/23 beta of the CBP.

https://mega.nz/#!dJ0ByKwb!Du41z5Qqw4n91o-_Un1Irf_x6-wlO7E8r-xcLgykLdE

There is a bug where the tech selection tree has a broken tech at the bottom called "TXT_KEY_2TECH_FORBIDDEN_TITLE" OR SOMETHING. I think it's caused by one of the custom civs but idk which one.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Nova88 posted:

I've updated the GoonPack with the 4/23 beta of the CBP.

https://mega.nz/#!dJ0ByKwb!Du41z5Qqw4n91o-_Un1Irf_x6-wlO7E8r-xcLgykLdE

There is a bug where the tech selection tree has a broken tech at the bottom called "TXT_KEY_2TECH_FORBIDDEN_TITLE" OR SOMETHING. I think it's caused by one of the custom civs but idk which one.

Is there a version of this that's compatible with the EUI?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Is there a version of this that's compatible with the EUI?

There is a version of the CBP modpack that includes EUI, it's the sticky thread created by Lynnes in the CivFanatics forum. You can replace the CBP mods in the GoonPAck with that version and recompile the modpack. The reason i didn't use EUI in this compile of the GoonPack is that I mainly play Civ 5 in multiplayer, and EUI causes issues with crashes and desyncs in multiplayer, plus I find it a bit verbose for my liking.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Wow polynesia is much worse than I anticipated. I thought I was doing great, going out and meeting all the civs and city-states for the research bonuses and earning extra happiness via random CS quests. My dumb rear end didn't realize I was just stacking up warmonger penalties and CS competitiveness penalties with every civ as I went about business as usual.

No sooner than I captured my 2nd capital, the entire world was already denouncing me. But I still need trading partners, I need gold, I need luxuries and no one will give them to me. On the plus side I had no reasons not to genocide those civs solely to remove their world congress votes and I'm free to lie about my intentions in all future wars.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sanctum posted:

Wow polynesia is much worse than I anticipated. I thought I was doing great, going out and meeting all the civs and city-states for the research bonuses and earning extra happiness via random CS quests. My dumb rear end didn't realize I was just stacking up warmonger penalties and CS competitiveness penalties with every civ as I went about business as usual.

You just played it backwards, that's all. You need to front-load your warmongering as Polynesia so by the time your empire is big enough that you actually need your luxury trade agreements, you can still make them. If you were playing on like a Pangaea or archipelago where meeting a new civ at a bad time is down to luck and RNG instead of relying on ocean tiles to gate them, though, then you really weren't playing to your strengths.

Put it this way: you wouldn't play Siam and customize a game to have no CSes and then complain that their UA sucks.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How is using the polynesia UA the same as siam not being able to use his UA. :psyduck: You mean intentionally not making contact with civs? I figured the whole early advantage was to meet civs for the already-researched tech bonus and finding lots of city-states early for happiness.

If you are intentionally avoiding contact and exploration, why even be polynesia then?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Backwards of what you're thinking: by gating when and who you meet, you effectively control the flow of global politics until the first civ that researches Astronomy. You can pick on isolated civs, or take on the world and save the cut-off ones to make your RAs with later. As for meeting CSes, there's some strategy involved in the act itself of scouting for them so you can get the meet boost, get their bonuses, bully them, whatever, without meeting full civs (this mostly involves skirting coastal tiles), but the idea isn't to meet everyone as soon as possible: it's all about meeting everyone you need at that moment based on what your current short-term objective is. That's why I recommend front-loading your war game, taking everything you want, and then immediately searching out every other civ and largely peacing out for the rest of the game.

Even if you land on another continent and take the capital of the first guy you meet, as long as you don't spot any other civs until after you have his city, you won't get any diplo penalties short of that he's actually good friends with his neighbors and denounces you or something.

And if his neighbors already fuckin hate him, well, that's your foot in the door, buddy :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 18, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, you can also just meet everybody and not be a warmonger.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, warmonger penalties only occur if the civ in question knows that you exist at the time that the war is happening. So if you can take out a civ without meeting any other civs, then you get no warmonger penalties at all.

In Civ4 it was totally crippling to start on an isolated continent with 1 or 2 other civs, because you couldn't effectively tech trade. In Civ5 it's a massive advantage because you can just wipe out your neighbors and then build your empire in peace.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
C.H.U.D.D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Being isolated is a big disadvantage on higher difficulties, since getting the extra science from trade routes is essential for not falling behind in the early game (the trade partner having the least techs gets extra beakers).

• Locked thread