Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
don't mind me.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Close but I am not a WO. I am the assistant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Close but I am not a WO. I am the assistant.

Oh, CCA then?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That's me

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

T minus 29 days till I go on terminal leave. I haven't heard anything back about IRR affiliation/getting a quota i applied for so I'm just going to assume that's a wash.

Goin back to school to peep yoga butts.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

SELRES affiliation. What month did you apply?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

SELRES affiliation. What month did you apply?

Started a couple months ago, unfortunately the only conversion I've been interested in at all is OS, and they've only had 1 spot each month open for AD/RC conversion. There were spots for BM/GM/AO/LS, but I've no desire to go to a really really poo poo rate from being an IT1. IT1 has been overmanned in reserves for some time apparently, they're like 0.1% (4 people over the cap for manned) overmanned, so they won't accept any AC/RC conversion.

NCC cares about as far as she can throw me atm, so it's looking like I'll wind up separating without affiliating at EAOS. Either way I've got like 30 grand in cash saved up in various accounts, and a plan to go to school, and a job already after separating, so it's not like I'm up poo poo creek.

My biggest gripe is my command sent me TDY to a squadron after I told the NCC I was planning to separate, and the optempo and manning over there is such that I'm 29 days from the use/lose date on terminal and I've still not had time to finish my sep package.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 14, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Still in and on day 1 one of a touch over 30 days of leave. This is the most I've gotten to take since I commissioned. It is the official start of beard-mas.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IT3 reservist only two years into my 6.

I've got no complaints.

Though I'm little concerned about what Tokyo is saying about manning level at 1rst class.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

Ex-STS-2/SS, got out in 1998, Pearl Harbor. Nice to meet you :tipshat:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I wore a Dixie cup with my dungarees.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

IT3 reservist only two years into my 6.

I've got no complaints.

Though I'm little concerned about what Tokyo is saying about manning level at 1rst class.

Don't be, it won't affect you, it just hurts people trying to affiliate post AD. The worst that will happen for you would be slightly smaller chance of getting picked up for first.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ron Jeremy posted:

It was a privilege to get to wear the dixie cup at week 6 in boot instead of the ball cap.

God drat I remember some random rear end poo poo.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Lucky...

I picked up a striker from the airport and he showed up to Hawaii wearing his dress blues. I asked him why the hell he was wearing wool serge to a tropical island and he said that "you're never out of uniform in dress blues" which was a pretty good reply. He ended up striking CS and was one of those guys who joined up already married with a kid at 22 and was the first E-2 I'd ever seen who never hosed up his marriage or his career. Looked goofy as poo poo at PHNL in crackerjacks though.

He's not running the Navy by now so he probably has a chain of repair shops back in Texas, that guy had his poo poo together and his wife and kid were sweeties.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 14, 2016

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

hogmartin posted:

Show of hands, who's actually still in the loving Navy vs. who's just here because they got out a decade ago and sometimes miss talking Navy to people who who know wtf they're talking about.

What's up with people coming in the building through the door on their left, amirite? :PO2 Seinfeld:

Fresh faced butterbar here. I have plenty to bitch about already, but I'm still in a training command. My is community small enough and my mouth big enough that stuff might get back to me.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I'm at the worst possible shore duty that doesn't involve getting shot at, waiting to separate.

I will be losing leave for the third consecutive year this year.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
So, I'm going to Japan in a few months. I'm a dirty dirty SWO, and I'm curious as to how much I'll love/hate my life. Mind, I wanted to go to Japan, and I wanted to be on a Destroyer, but I got a "great" job. I'll be in Yokosuka, so any places that I HAVE to go?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I'm going to Japan in a few months. I'm a dirty dirty SWO, and I'm curious as to how much I'll love/hate my life. Mind, I wanted to go to Japan, and I wanted to be on a Destroyer, but I got a "great" job. I'll be in Yokosuka, so any places that I HAVE to go?

Down to the crossroads of Alcoholism and Misery.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
As far as I've been able to tell most of lovely stuff is in Okinawa so party until your dick/liver falls off.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Reservist ET2 here. Trying to go RC/AC or FTS since FTS bullets opened the 2nd.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

CMD598 posted:

As far as I've been able to tell most of lovely stuff is in Okinawa so party until your dick/liver falls off.

Well, since I lack a dick, and the whisky seems like it's pretty drat good, might as well go until my liver falls off. Might as well follow Null Integer's advice and go to those lonely crossroads.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Bitter ETN1 here, 6 years down, 4 to go. Adding the 'N' to all the nuke rates is one of the dumbest things I've seen the Navy waste it's time on. Aside from NWUs.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Hobolicious posted:

Bitter ETN1 here, 6 years down, 4 to go. Adding the 'N' to all the nuke rates is one of the dumbest things I've seen the Navy waste it's time on. Aside from NWUs.

At least adding the N didn't cost a couple hundred million, only for us to try and ditch them like 5 times already.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Pato, known as "Duck Sauce" in Mexico, is my favorite

El pato crushes every other hot sauce named in this thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Expect it's got like no heat. More of a red sauce.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

I've enjoyed pretty much everything in the Tokyo region, It's just an interesting place. I'm a deployed non fleet rate though so we hang out and kick around, your experience may differ considerably

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

El pato crushes every other hot sauce named in this thread.

I've never come across the hot sauce, but el pato enchilada sauce is my go to, accept no substitutes stuff.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The base club has nice cheap pitchers of beer. They also had slot machines that paid out pretty well for me.

Get away from Yoko if you want to really see stuff. Yokohama is close by and is pretty good and of course Tokyo isn't far either.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am down in Sasebo but this is my second tour in Japan. I was here 10 years ago and my wife and I liked it so much we asked to come over again. Of all the countries I've visited Japan ranks very high on the list of places I could live. Outside of the language barrier, the history and culture is pretty drat cool and the people are typically really nice. If you treat it as more than a port visit where your goal is to make up for all the alcohol you haven't been able to drink you should have a really good time.

As a Marine, I am impressed with the ITT trips that the Navy arranges in Japan. There is all kinds of stuff that you can sign up for that will get you away from the base and will have translators on them so you make sure that you can communicate with the locals without issue. If you are feeling more adventurous, just do what I do and take your lovely comprehension of Japanese and google translate and gently caress it up enough to where someone takes pity on you and speaks english. In and around Tokyo, lots of people speak enough english for you to get by though. It's only when you move away from the city that it gets more difficult to interact without at least some Japanese mastery.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Look for Nigerian bars in Roppongi, always a good time. Don't go unless they offer you a deal though.

Real advice:
I basically took the first train to Tokyo whenever I could get off the ship, so I don't know anything about Yoko itself.

Robot Restaurant is stupid tourist trash but still awesome anyway, gently caress the haters.
Find the go kart stuff before somebody makes it illegal.
Tokyo tower / sky tree is worth it for the view.
Whatever hobby or interest you have, somebody in Tokyo likes it more than you, so make a list of things you care about and Google for each item and tokyo so you can find your version of an 11 story pen store.
And probably Super Potato in Akihabara which is overpriced but well organized for nostalgia assuming you're the kind of nerd that posts here.
Shibuya station at rush-hour is something you need to see, but don't plan to take the train at that time; find something else to do nearby.

Buy a PASSMO or ICOCA card ASAP (they're cross compatible so don't worry about getting the wrong brand). They're 5 dollar metro cards that you can supposedly get refunded but you'll forget and keep it as a souvenir. You can go to a ticket machine and put your piles of yen change on there as long as they're 10 yen pieces or more, so do that. Then just stroll through the turnstile without having to figure out ticket fares or mess with the change machine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Japan has literally everything you can imagine from soapy massages to aforementioned 11 story pen store. Go grab a hot corn soup from wendy's and hit the streets to explore.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fat sailor with gimpy knee almost died doing the eleptical.

It's alright though I still passed.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Med CMDR quit the bike after 10 calories. She "didn't feel good".

I passed, but I wasn't worried. Only having to burn like 90 calories makes the bike easy mode.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
90 calories is like 10 minutes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah the bike didn't even make big chief break a sweat.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had it in like 10:30 so yeah it's easy

Edit: Huh, just got a NAM for stopping at a wreck and patching the driver up until emts got on scene. Nifty, maybe I'll make first off that. That'd be nice. Thanks LCSRON

Thronde fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 15, 2016

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Thronde posted:

Just got a NAM for stopping at a wreck and patching the driver up until emts got on scene. Nifty, maybe I'll make first off that. That'd be nice. Thanks LCSRON

The hero we deserve.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just hit the 30 age bracket. Its almost super easy mode now.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Null Integer posted:

The hero we deserve.

Pretty much what I thought. Dunno why the hell I got it, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I retire in 15 days. No terminal leave. Still have no plane ticket out of Japan and I'm afraid I'll be forced to extend for a month because they have their heads in their asses. Yay.

• Locked thread